Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jowood/1C games

There seem to be a fuckton of RPG/Strategy games on gamersgate under this publisher,
which get the codex seal of approval?
A lot of them dont seem to have online reviews

Renegen

Arcane
Space Rangers
Kings Bounty
Men of War

Actually I noticed on Gamersgate that A Farewell to Dragons is available, is it any good? I heard bad things about it but it's similar to BG.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Oh yeah A Farewell to Dragons is lulzworthy.
JoWood also published an 'ambitious' RTS/RPG hybrid game series called SpellForce. Might look into that if you're into the Genre.

Phelot

Arcane
A Farewell to Dragons main protagonist dude looks like Jeff Goldblum. That is all.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I found Spellforce to be pretty boring. I see what they were trying to do but it didn't hold my interest at all. It's just a really shallow/dumbed down RTS with light/inconsequential RPG elements.

Codexlurker

Savant
Metro said:
I found Spellforce to be pretty boring. I see what they were trying to do but it didn't hold my interest at all. It's just a really shallow/dumbed down RTS with light/inconsequential RPG elements.
If you thought SF1 was dumbed down, try SF2. They basically made condensed the races into three 3groups. Anyway, yea, SF wasn't anything special except for the rpg elements.

Gregz

Arcane
Slenkar said:
There seem to be a fuckton of RPG/Strategy games on gamersgate under this publisher,
which get the codex seal of approval?
A lot of them dont seem to have online reviews

King's Bounty: Armored Princess w/ Crossworlds expac owns all.

spectre

Arcane
From what I played published by JoWood:

Spellforce looked like it had potential as an rpg/strategy hybrid, but eventually felt tedious and boring.

The Guild is an interesting concept, somethin like the Sims Medieval focused on power struggle and intrigue, the dark side of politcs.
Unfortunately, the game's broken as fuck. It would make a wonderful LP material and a larp-fest though if that's your thing.

The Silent Storm series is a pretty damned good turn based tactical game, heavy on RPG. I would definitely recommend the first one and Sentinels. Hammer and Sickle is acquired taste. More RPG-focused, less freedom. It is also unforgiving - easy to lose the game without realizing it.
There were folks saying the minor sci-fi elements appearing at endgame ruin their immershun, so it's best if you don't expect straight realism.
Overall, it's worth checking it out for the desrtuctible environments. It was pretty impressive for its time.

When it comes to 1C, I only played theMen of War series and the first King's Bounty.
I realize lot's of people swear by it, but to me KB felt like it wanted to rip off HoMM and failed. Still, it's a solid game that can be challenging at times.

Men of War series is again acquired taste. It started off as a combat oriented Commandos clone (tke these two men and a pen-knife and kill that panzer division stealthily), then it evolves into a more typical WW2 rts.
It has a nice physic angine and a pretty damned good (for RTS) damage model based on armor penetration and individual component damage. Also, purdy destructible terrain.
My main gripe with it is the controls - more suited to a smaller scale guerilla warfare (the game tracks down inventories of each unit - you can even loot enemy bullets and rifles if you run out), but the later games adopt a much larger scale.

Shadenuat

Arcane
There were folks saying the minor sci-fi elements appearing at endgame ruin their immershun

There's a special buttonawesome in the beginning of the game to turn those sci-fi elements off.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Strange. I remember playing SS and there was some kind of option to manage "real" and "alternative" history with panzers and lasers. Maybe that was russian version feature only. Or maybe panzers were still there, but lasers not...

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
The point still remains that once you get the gist of how shit is done, game gets quite easy. They put the panzerkleins because at that point there was no real challenge to the player, I would assume.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
panzerklein1.jpg

:what:

Renegen

Arcane
Just FLY, The Guild : Renaissance isn't broken anymore, I have it and it's great. I find this LP is pretty good at getting you excited for it.

laclongquan

Arcane
The Panzerklein in SS series is rageinducing to a lot of people, but not me. I consider them a challenge to overcome not an immershun-breaker.

Silent Storm, and SIlent Storm Sentinels are turnbased squad-based, RPG games in the veins of Jagged Alliance 2 and Fallout Tactics. Hammer Sickles is the RPG-heavy version of Silent Storm.

And yeah, they are very good, a must-play recommendation. IT's a damn shame the devs are basically busted now.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
SS is the shit. Next best thing to ja2.
There is a mod out there which removes the sci-fi elements.

Hammer & Sickle had a lot of promise, but the constraints of the gameplay were pretty annoying.

A shame ss modding never really took off.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Renegen said:
Just FLY, The Guild : Renaissance isn't broken anymore, I have it and it's great. I find this LP is pretty good at getting you excited for it.

Tried Guild 2 back when it was first released. I kinda liked it, but it was way too buggy and my computer too shitty to try properly. What does this Guild : Renaissance add to the game ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom