Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WR - General Chit-Chatter/Tidbits

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
So I am making some game (see link in my signature) basing on the FOnline engine and made some graphics for the interface and all that kind of stuff. Asked people for opinions, they said they like, but it looks too much like an RPG with a "western" - clint eastwood styled theme. People kept repeating it over and over, but I don't get it. :D Is it the use of the wood in this particular screenshots? The fonts? I really have no idea.. As I don't plan to do this in a western-y direction I might change the stuff which looks like that, if people kind enough to point that out for me do it. So, opinions? (note that these are just drafts, no actual finished works. especially fonts on second one will change, as there are just too much)

login.png

untitled2sn0p.png

Might make some thread for the game later, for now you can read all stuff in the signature.
Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

Pony King

Educated
I'd guess at the coarse fabric in the first picture and the dirty paper in the second is what makes it look "western-y". Also looks much better than most of the stuff people try to make.

edit: If it's supposed to look more modern you'll probably have to look for more modern equivalents of the elements that you have in your picture. I can't remember seeing fabric that coarse, ever.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Thanks, I'll take that as a sign that the art direction is ok-ish, and not too "lol I maek a Red Dead Redemption gaem in fallout!11" like? :oops:

EDIT: at the coarse - yeah, thats maybe a bit over the top. I first wanted to have "old newspaper" as background, but I kept raging at my scanner not doing the stuff that I want, so I took this older scan of mine as a template.

EDIT²: Also I hope people won't make me a head shorter for removing all vaultboy images and inserting my own custom ones. :salute:

gromit

Arcane
Burlap, yellowed paper, and weathered wood? Maybe you should just roll with it if this is post-apocalyptic, as a a lot of stuff has that vibe anyway. That said, what are you going for?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
wallace said:
That said, what are you going for?

Seeing as the game takes place (partly) right after the war, or the time you can call " a short period after", it makes much sense for the people to use all the old world ressources which are there, everythings dirty because the whole world is dirty and by no means there is order or something which can print fine new paper. ;) So yes, everything in the game will look hand binded, crafted, made, written etc... Do it yourself.. The "Fixboy" system ingame allows you to create new items from junk and stuff. I want to keep this "handmade" theme, that's why there is this art-theme.

Pony King

Educated
Surf Solar said:
I first wanted to have "old newspaper" as background, but I kept raging at my scanner not doing the stuff that I want, so I took this older scan of mine as a template.
Can't you just use our glorious intertubes?

This is seemingly an NYT from 1901

All you need to find is one that is fifty years younger.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Thank you for that link!
Although I want to use as much content created by me as possible, not using any source outside. Not because I think I am so awesome ( I am not) but because I want to give it my personal touch and stuff. Goggling for thing XY and including it just like it is isn't my kind of workstyle. ;)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Are you basically trying to do a non Vault Dwelling like interface, but still set in the same type of setting/style?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Surf Solar said:
Yep, exactly. :>

I due to sad circumstances, now live at my parents house. That said there are a number of books from the 50's around here IIRC. I'll see if I can get some time to perhaps take some shots of them. And/or show you some of the styles.

That or I'm sure some of the other people might be abler to show some good examples as well.

EDIT:

Here are some examples from my mom's 1950's cookbook. Might give you some font and layout ideas:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/gallery/7275.png
http://www.rpgcodex.net/gallery/7276.png
http://www.rpgcodex.net/gallery/7277.png
http://www.rpgcodex.net/gallery/7278.png

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Thanks man! Although the scans could be a bit sharper, it is definitevely a bit of help!
__

As for the game, I am exchanging emails with Mr. Mark Morgan right now, to remix some of my music tracks/making new ones. Yes, I want to pay money for a game which I'll release for free later. :D

Anyway, just made shit up!

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
No prob man. ;) Doing this not to be uber professional, but to learn about RPG development and general art directions... May set up some small "alpha" test next time, will now know whom to PM about that.

gromit

Arcane
Surf Solar said:
So yes, everything in the game will look hand binded, crafted, made, written etc... Do it yourself.. The "Fixboy" system ingame allows you to create new items from junk and stuff. I want to keep this "handmade" theme, that's why there is this art-theme.
Gotcha. Makes it easier to play "spot the difference" then. As stated there's much shared between westerns and post-apoc, so it's all about cranking up the knobs for the differences you're highlighting.

It all looks nicely weathered and rustic, but also maybe a little too... ornate? Like it was skillfully and lovingly crafted from limited technology and resources, rather than the result of improvisational repair using the same. Throughout all of history, we've used what tech and resources we've had, and put in the time, care, and attention to aesthetic to make things that still look pleasing to this day, even when they get worn, burnt, or partially smashed. What might differentiate "we're out of stuff" from "they didn't have that stuff" is that artisanship: the unpragmatic touches and how cohesive it all looks.

For instance, the message box's edges are nicely curved and sanded, the weapon area is carefully set and attached with two little rivets, and the buttons are fairly uniform. You shouldn't fuck up your interface too much for the sake of atmosphere, but even a few little things could go a long way. Maybe mismatching the screws on the weapon area so one is a nice little rivet and the other is an oversized philips' head. A band of precious duct-tape somewhere on there? Some buttons that are a good fit, but far from a perfect match to the others?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
^

This is one of the best answers I have yet to read on the codex, thanks! I will keep all that into consideration as honest and true feedback and will change stuff.

Haha, dunno why, but this gives me ++ to motivation.
Here, some random screenshot! http://h-5.abload.de/img/untitled22mgt.png

deuxhero

Arcane
It does have a "Western" feel to it, but Westerns are cool damn it, so use it anyways!

Should change "gender" to "sex". It's not entirely the right use of the word.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Ok, so please explain the difference between Gender and Sex to me ( a non native speaker) - this would've been sorted out later anyway by my proofreaders, but I am interested in the reasoning anyway...

J1M

Arcane
Surf Solar said:
Ok, so please explain the difference between Gender and Sex to me ( a non native speaker) - this would've been sorted out later anyway by my proofreaders, but I am interested in the reasoning anyway...
They are both appropriate, but you are going to get some bullshit gay agenda sounding talk about how one is your physical parts and the other is about feelings. Just give it a few posts.

hanssolo

Educated
Please just do a western setting, post-apoc is a tired fucking trope in rpgs. The Magnificent Seven: The RPG is going to be a lot more memorable than FalloutAgain.

Surf Solar said:

Sex is the biological trait (so, your choice of dangly bits), whereas gender is the way that one's sex is culturally interpreted. So a pre-op transvestite 'might' have male sex and female gender (I say 'might', because one's external sexual organs can conflict with one's internal biological sexual markers like hormones and brain patterns).

You could actually use either term, as in ordinary circumstances there is no need to distinguish between the biological and cultural parts of being male/female, even for trannies. In any event, unless you are choosing BOTH gender and sex, playing a tranny would just be a matter of choosing one trait (gender or sex) and having the opposite value for the other trait.

Personally, I'd go with gender. Unless you're making a game that is first and foremost a dating sim, you're going to be more interested in how the character dresses, what he/she looks like, what social role he/she takes on, right? Because that's all gender. The only thing that 'sex' should change is the mesh used for any nude mods.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Well in terms of gameplay, it's a lot of "western" setting, as in strongest guy survives, absolutely no law, frontier-area, no currency, no order, people trying to come by and such - much more like Fallout. I had to tweak lots of stuff because people (betatesters) whined that it's sometimes too hard and even the sligthtest thing can screw you... but it still shares the "postapo" setting.. Maybe I should really do a story-update later, I honestly didn't await that much of codex interest for this, so I am quite surprised. Will update this thing later, for now it's bed time. ;)

Personally, I'd go with gender. Unless you're making a game that is first and foremost a dating sim, you're going to be more interested in how the character dresses, what he/she looks like, what social role he/she takes on, right? Because that's all gender. The only thing that 'sex' should change is the mesh used for any nude mods.

Thanks, I think I go with the current word. Geez, I really didn't know one word can have such a strong background. Thanks to 3d Modeled critterbackground you can choose if you want to have a tranny looking male or a fat chick, so "gender" roles might get obsolete. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom