Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox strategy games - where to start?

KalosKagathos

Learned
I've never played one, but the stuff Vaarna posted at the HoI discussion thread in /gd/ sounds interesting.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Europa Universalis 3 is definitely the easiest to start with, both the Victorias and HoI series require you to tweak your country's organization and make important decisions right at the start, which is hard when you don't know the gameplay yet.

EU3 with at least a medium sized country let's you plod along for a while with few ill effects, letting you see what happens and deal with game features like war and trade when you feel like it. I'd avoid playing minor countries to start, they can get fucked very quickly if you're not careful, and don't have the resources to do very much at first either.

kasmas

Educated
If you can wait for few weeks EU3 complete complete will be out and you can start from there.
Vicky is more like hard work and less of a game while Rome (full) and Crusader Kings are not bad at all and they are relatively easy to start .

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
kasmas said:
Vicky is more like hard work and less of a game
:decline:

Start from EU3, since it'll give you the basic structure all Paradox games build up from. Then HoI2, as it's easier to learn than HoI3 (which you can try out after HoI2). Finally, when you think you understand the drill, go see if Victoria 2 finally has a new patch or got an expansion, since it's Paradox' best game. The only thing as good as it is HoI3 with mods (I use DiDay's Iron Cross Edition, aka ICE, with modifications of my own on top).

The basic gist of the thing is that Hearts of Iron has fantastic wartime strategy, Victoria 2 has extensive political and economic mechanics (if only it'd use the HoI combat model instead of EU3 combat model...).

Crusader Kings/Rome is a lot of fun with all the randomly generated drama that happens in them. Nothing like looking at the portrait of your latest consul and going "hey, he looks familiar" and finding out he's the grandson of that fucking lunatic Bulbus (true story in one of my Rome campaigns). Or just the whole business of overseeing the lives and times of the various important noble houses of the Republic. The only problem with Rome is that the tech system is kinda weird and easy to fuck up with. I definately recommend playing Rome instead of Crusader Kings, because the Republic has a lot more characters around at once, and of course the whole more meritocratic aspect through which you can see talented men from humble origins ascend to greatness. And of course, the more sensible Civil War mechanics add to the fun.

I'd recommend Rome after EU3. The dynasty, character and civil war mechanics mean that shit flies at the drop of a hat, which is always fun.

If you don't mind wading through the occasional ocean of bullshit, Magna Mundi for EU3 is also pretty good.

kasmas

Educated
Magna Munti will make you take stability hits even while you are sleeping .

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Furious Flaming Faggot said:
I'd recommend Rome after EU3. The dynasty, character and civil war mechanics mean that shit flies at the drop of a hat, which is always fun.

If you don't mind wading through the occasional ocean of bullshit, Magna Mundi for EU3 is also pretty good.
EU3 with Magna Mundi (version for EU3 In Nomine) installed is perhaps the best thing Paradox has to offer... BUT i am not sure if its something to be recommended to someone who never played a Paradox Game before.
This, and the fact that Magna Mundi is too slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. You really need to be patient (or have a monster PC but im not sure if it really helps).

Magna Munti will make you take stability hits even while you are sleeping .
No, not really - people are too dramatic about the issue. Stability in MM is well balanced, its simply that the player is not supposed to have Stab +3 all time. It is part of the challenge too - challenge the unmodded game lacks very badly.

Magna MunTi !?

Destroid

Arcane
I'd just dive straight into MMU - it's not as difficult as people make out, once you understand the systems.

The Magna Mundi game should come out later this year so maybe start with HoI and try MM when it releases.

Topher

Cipher
I just saw the new "Europa Universalis III Chronicles" edition. It ships with all the expansion and comes out really soon (March 22nd) so I'd recommend starting with that.

Topher

Cipher
Did they ever patch Victoria 2 up? I remember that it had quite a few problems on release and I opted to put it down until they had been resolved.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
EU3. Its where it all started (well in EU1 but you get what I mean) and all main game mechanics are present there. All other games stem from this title. Its also very fun and a true Paradox flagship.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Topher said:
Did they ever patch Victoria 2 up? I remember that it had quite a few problems on release and I opted to put it down until they had been resolved.
They've released a single patch so far... It somehow fucked up more things than it fixed. But still, the baseline Vicky 2 is by far the best game Paradox has made so far, so it's worth to eagerly await for patches or an expansion.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Crusader Kings!

It's the only Paradox game I've almost learned how to play.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Topher said:
They've released a single patch so far... It somehow fucked up more things than it fixed. But still, the baseline Vicky 2 is by far the best game Paradox has made so far, so it's worth to eagerly await for patches or an expansion.

They have actually been releasing beta patches pretty frequently for the last week or 2, in fact the most recent one came out today, and they have made the game far more enjoyable to play.

Topher

Cipher
I'll need go back and check out Vicky 2 again because I was having a bast playing as the nation of Texas.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
What does anyone think of Cities in Motion? I tried it for a bit but gave up due to... actually I'm not sure, but it was mostly the interface.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom