Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News EA Fails To Disclose SecuROM in Dragon Age II

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>Seems EA and/or BioWare was not <a href="http://vividgamer.com/2011/03/10/ea-fails-to-disclose-securom-in-dragon-age-ii/" target="_blank">telling the truth</a>?</p>
<blockquote>
<p>While Reclaim Your Game, which acts as a gamer&rsquo;s consumers&rsquo; rights advocacy group campaigning against oppressive DRM had praised EA for excluding SecuROM from Dragon Age: Origins, recent testing of the sequel compelled the site to give it an &ldquo;Unacceptable&rdquo; rating due to the inclusion of DRM and, most importantly, EA&rsquo;s failure to disclose it anywhere to consumers.<br /><br />In a recent email sent to their subscribers, representatives from RYG wrote:<br /><br />&ldquo;We have CONFIRMED from testing that it DOES contain SecuROM, and that it DOES leave files behind. We can also confirm that nowhere on the package, in the EULA or on the Website for the game is thee ANY mention of the inclusion of SecuROM. EA had been ordered by the courts to disclose the use of SecuROM on any game that uses it. And it is contradictory of what Bioware has been saying for the last 3 weeks.&rdquo;<br /><br />In their report, RYG cites multiple areas of concern, including:</p>
<ul>
<li>Inconsistent information about DRM</li>
<li>No EULA for SecuROM</li>
<li>SecuROM files hidden from user</li>
<li>SecuROM files not removed after online activation</li>
<li>DRM removal tool not included; SecuROM remains even after user uninstalls game</li>
</ul>
<p><br />And these are just some of the concerns noted in their report, which you can read in full as a pdf, <a href="http://www.rygvbul.reclaimyourgame.com/test_results/PRYG2-00034-01.pdf" target="_blank">here</a>, or read their more detailed analysis (with screenshots), <a href="http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/content.php?770-RYG-News-Analysing-SecuROM-In-Dragon-Age-2" target="_blank">here</a>.<br /><br />Even though EA and Bioware had explicitly stated before the fact that SecuROM would not be included in the non-steam versions of Dragon Age II, and simply be there to verify the game wasn&rsquo;t played ahead of release day (and would not install anything on your computer), RYG&rsquo;s tests show otherwise.<br /><br />EA was sued in the past (and lost) for the way it used SecuROM in its games, with Spore mean the most notorious, although later versions of The Sims 2 were also affected.&nbsp; For those of you unfamiliar, SecuROM is a type of DRM (digital rights management) created by Sony &ndash; the same group that was sued before for DRM with music CDs &ndash; that installs itself onto your computer, without your knowledge, sends information to Sony (what information is never made clear), and worse, is not uninstalled when you uninstall the product with which it came.&nbsp; SecuROM can only be installed with what basically amounts to a specifically designed virus removal tool, although many recommend reformatting your harddrive as the only true way to remove the spyware from your computer.&nbsp; Moreso, SecuROM has been known to deactivate legitimate hardware and software on your computer, causing numerous problems, all without your consent, and all in a supposedly mad drive to prevent piracy by punishing paying gamers.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Can this be? I mean <a href="http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dragon-Age-II/Dragon-Age-II-General-Discussion/Dragon-Age-2-Final-DRM-and-FAQ-6194280-1.html" target="_blank">Chris Priestley wrote</a>:</p>
<ul class="bb-list-unordered">
<li class="bb-listitem">Does not use securom.</li>
<li class="bb-listitem">It does not install anything to the PC.</li>
<li class="bb-listitem">Sole purpose is to check with a server to validate whether the game release date has passed or not.</li>
<li class="bb-listitem">It completely removes itself after the game release date has passed. </li>
</ul>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><em>Newsitem brought to you by larpingdude17.</em></p>

Black

Arcane
Chris Beastly has had enough of your lies and slander, VoD. Stop it now or prepare for LOCKDOWN.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Black said:
Volourn has had enough of your lies and slander, VoD. Stop it now or prepare for LOCKDOWN.

fixed for Board accuracy

y2V3q.jpg

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can this be? I mean Chris Priestley wrote:
  • Does not use securom.
  • It does not install anything to the PC.
  • Sole purpose is to check with a server to validate whether the game release date has passed or not.
  • It completely removes itself after the game release date has passed.

If DA2 hasn't already been released, I'd interpret that as meaning that the DRM prevents you from actually installing the game and that it would therefore run straight from the disc. You might even say, like some sort of console.

Everything surrounding DA2 has been absolutely comical, I can barely remember the last time I was this amused.
I'm almost glad that EA and bioware have absolutely no intention of stopping the lulz.

Elzair

Cipher
Well, it is good that I do not give a fuck about that shitty game.

waywardOne

Arcane
i can't imagine the pain and heartache occurring for anyone who still thought bioware was fan-friendly and made good games.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Truly a gift that just keeps on giving.

Thank you Bioware, you have provided more than you intended.

Lumpy

Arcane
Here's a suggestion for a law: every piece of software that doesn't have an Uninstall process that removes every file installed by the software, must come with a "Malware" sticker on the box.
Which congressman do I write to?

Angthoron

Arcane
DA2 is shaping up to be the best game I'll never play. So entertaining.

I wonder if they pushed in SecuRom to the demo as well. That could be even more amusing.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
BelisariuS.F said:
http://www.gamersmint.com/da-2-composer-ea-pushed-hard-to-release-game-my-score-was-a-rush-job/
http://gamingbolt.com/ea-bans-player-fr ... them-devil
http://beefjack.com/news/bioware-dragon ... expecting/

Did anyone not see this coming when EA aquired Bioware? It's simply what they do. Get a bestselling studio and their ip's. Milk them dry with rushed sequels based on their ip's. When the corpse has nothing more to give close them down and aquire a new one. Rince and repeat.

Angthoron

Arcane
Trash said:
BelisariuS.F said:
http://www.gamersmint.com/da-2-composer-ea-pushed-hard-to-release-game-my-score-was-a-rush-job/
http://gamingbolt.com/ea-bans-player-fr ... them-devil
http://beefjack.com/news/bioware-dragon ... expecting/

Did anyone not see this coming when EA aquired Bioware? It's simply what they do. Get a bestselling studio and their ip's. Milk them dry with rushed sequels based on their ip's. When the corpse has nothing more to give close them down and aquire a new one. Rince and repeat.

No way they could do that to BioWare! BioWare has special rights! I Believe in Biowear!!!! :M

Though to be honest I suspect Bio wouldn't have needed EA to become a sellout, it might have just taken a little longer.

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
Angthoron said:
DA2 is shaping up to be the best game I'll never play. So entertaining.

Same here - judging by the hours spent laughing on the Codex because of DA2, this really is the best RGP since ME2.
Codex is better than free day one DLC.

:love:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So did the pirated versions that came out first, find this? Otherwise, all you sailing the high seas now have SecROM on your computer.

Begriffenfeldt

Educated
Just when you think Bioware has gone full retard, they go and do something like this. And totally redeem themselves!

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Jaesun said:
So did the pirated versions that came out first, find this? Otherwise, all you sailing the high seas now have SecROM on your computer.
I'm one of them fellas that both buy and pirate games. I hope I'm not alone.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Angthoron said:
I wonder if they pushed in SecuRom to the demo as well. That could be even more amusing.

I highly doubt it, someone would have noticed.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Jaesun said:

Pirated version is clean. :smug:

Actually, it's in there if you take the time to look at them files but it's never used nor installed.

:smug:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
EA may be doings cummy things but steling is not an option. if you don't like EA's practices don't buyt their games but you have no special previledge to play them either.

Are you as scummy as EA? if not, then don't steal. Plenty of other games in the sea.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Volourn said:
EA may be doings cummy things but steling is not an option. if you don't like EA's practices don't buyt their games but you have no special previledge to play them either.

Are you as scummy as EA? if not, then don't steal. Plenty of other games in the sea.

4/10

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom