Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Racofer-kun's majestic Dragon Age Origins Effect 2 review.

racofer

Thread Incliner
I've been playing the game for about 5 to 6 hours now. And I've gotta say I'm unsure I can take another minute of this rotting piece of turd. Therefore I will dedicate my time into writing (with words, not photoshops)a review for this "game". Shall we?

The gameplay is mindless hack-n-slash, and in a bad way. Diablo 2 is mindless hack-n-slash but it offers you many, many ways of cutting through the endless... scratch that, D2 didn't have infinite respawning trash mobs. D2 actually posed a challenge and lots of fun. Dragon Age Turd combat is just as it has been said from the beginning - you press a button, one button (R) and something happens, not necessarily awesome (far from that). You press R and your character automatically locks on the nearest foe and hack away until it drops dead. You also get to spam your special attacks all the time now which makes it all that much worse. Tactical combat? Think like a spartan? Only if that spartan is Ephialtes. The game is nothing short of spam spam spam spam HAWKESOEM!!! Also, don't say this game is like Mass Effect 2, that's just insulting. DA2 is a completely new level of shitness.

Another thing to note is party inventory. You cannot change their armor, helmet, gloves or boots. Only rings, amulet, belt and weapons (for some characters) are customizable. Durrr.....

Graphics is another issue. The screenshots look like ass probably because of the low poly count and, perhaps due of some higher entity of lulz shinning in BiowarEA's backyard, because all shots that have been shown are the worst possible ones. In game things are not that bad, in fact it looks similar to DA:O in many ways but not without its flaws. In Origins, everything appears to look better, screenshot wise and to some degree in motion, because the game is darker. Not in the sense of grimdarkmaturegritty but in the sense that most locations are shown in low light situations with lots of artificial light sources in the maps (torches, fireplaces, etc). Also because of this "darkness" in DA:O, it fitted the nature of the game much better. DA2 changed that and now everything is lit. Even caverns have enough cracks on the ceiling to make you ask yourself if that should be called a cavern or, perhaps, a canyon. Because of this excess lighting all the flaws of their outdated engine become apparent, specially the textures. You can see pixelation and blurryness in nearly every texture they have used. Yes, the Texture Package improves things considerably but not enough to justify the high system requirements. 1GB of vram for that? HELL! Every damned source engine game on very-high textures don't take more than 300 mega bytes of vram and they shit all over this game.

Art direction is good. I'm not judging whether it's retarded or not, I'm judging whether it's consistent throughout the game or not. BiowarEA this time made the game resemble their cutscenes and drawings from Origins. That probably explains why everything looks sharper and with prominent edges everywhere. It's like an attempt at cartoon-like graphics. There's not much more to say regarding art direction other than that though. Nothing commendable really, other than Kirkwall looks really good and well crafted. Much better than the "big cities" we are used to see in other games although it is sort of a letdown that Kirkwall is divided in multiple small zones with no connection between them and most areas are out of your reach due to invisible walls fences.

Audio is a mixed bag. Environment effects are plenty and don't give you the impression of walking into an sterile place. Spell sounds are quite good and so are attack sounds from the few weapon varieties available to you. Voice acting though... that hurts. The VAs for the main character (male/female Hawke) are terrible. Why couldn't they have used Jennifer Hale? Male Hawke managed to sound worse than male Shepard, if you could even consider that possible. Where's Jennifer Hale, BiowarEA?

In DA2 they have used a new compression method this time, "something called ogg" as Chris Priestley the Hutt said over the bioboards, which is probably the reason it is so poorly implemented. Ogg is a container for high quality audio. It allows for multiple audio channels (instead of only stereo) with high sampling rate while offering a reasonable file size. However it seems getting to know your tools is too much work for BiowarEA. Voice overs now sound like in low bitrate mono. It's terrible to listen to extended periods of time, even more so if you have anything better than onboard audio which makes the playback flaws even more prominent. There's a low hissing in character's voices as they speak, something that wasn't present even in NWN almost ten years ago. Thinking of it, I'm kinda glad now that BiowarEA didn't use Jennifer Hale on their game, it would've been a crime to fuck her voice up like that.

Technically, surround effects are good, positional audio is good... everything one should expect from any game released in the past 5 years on this regard.

Plot is a mess. During these six hours of gameplay, there has been no plot whatsoever. Zero, nada, neinte. You flee from Lothering with your family and head towards Kirkwall. Once you get there you find out your rich uncle is in fact broken because he gambled the family fortune and lost it all and now lives in a dirty slum and owes favors and money for half the street gangs on the place. To gain entrance into the city, your uncle offers your services (which you cannot say no, by the way) to one of two gangs which you can chose. You will have to work for them for one year to pay your debts. What happens after that? Short movie, a year passes and you're inside the city. There's no mention of what you did during that year only that people now know your name and that's it.

A year later and you're now working for a greedy dwarf (how original!) and the main quest requires getting yourself 50 pieces of gold so that you can join this dwarf's expedition into the Derp Roads. You then gain a FUCKLOAD of sidequests that consist of nothing but fetching useless shit from one side of the town to another or killing thugs at the city streets so that you can make that sum of money and continue the plot. And that's what I have done during these six hours of gameplay so far - side quests that don't need any sort of brain activity so that teh plowaaht may continue. There's no Blight, no threat, no nothing to motivate yourself to get that fat ass of yours moving and do something. Mindless MMO-quality quests.

Camera and UI. How could I not talk about these? Camera is better than in Origins but still not good enough. There's no top-down view anymore which makes playing as a mage an extremely annoying endeavor. For casting area spells, you must do so from a third person perspective without much visibility of where you're actually casting it. We need top-down view for that to work right. At least in third person view you don't get into odd angles anymore while fighting and you can actually see what happens on screen.

User interface, as far it goes in-game, is good and usable. Quickslot bar, a minimap and that's it. The character menus though are fucked up. You must now navigate through a series of menu trees to get your needed information and it's spread out in an odd layout. Character status are not displayed into the character screen but instead at the inventory menu. There's a separate menu for your resistances that could have been easily integrated into the character screen because of all that unused screen space. The skill trees are painful to read. You have skill branches that you zoom into to see its subskills instead of everything in one place where you can easily compare what is available to you and make your best choice. Now you must navigate through these branches and compare all those spell icons (that you must mouse over to get any sort of description) and memorize what each one said to compare them. This bothers me and I bet it bothers other people that played games for longer than two years as well. Perhaps this design decision fits better for the desired target audience though where you just keep on leveling up your Two Handed skill branch or your Elemental skill branch all the way and don't ever look at everything else, making all character specialized into a single form of combat. This also scores against playing as a mage since it's fucking tiresome to see every single spell description from the multitude of available ones. It's almost as bad as Oblivion's character menus.

Level design. Linear, small and uninteresting. All areas consist of a single path that you must follow in order to progress. There are not alternative pathways nor exploration. You pick a quest, go to where the quest compass tells you to go and slash your way to completion. Nothing else really. Also, all caves/mines are exactly the same. I'm not saying they look the same, I'm saying they are the same. I have entered the same looking cave about four times already in distinct locations on the world map to complete my fedex deliveries/retrievals and the same map is used for all of them. Only a few restrictions of where I can walk thanks to invisible walls fallen debris. Copy-pasta at its best.

Conclusion. I have had more fun hunting for the DLCs and checking their encryption with hex workshop for a way to crack them (which I actually did, to some extent) than actually playing the game. I can't picture myself playing this game any longer. I don't feel like doing that. It's uninteresting and plain boring. People that claim this game is to DA:O what ME2 was to ME1 are completely fucking wrong. ME2 is leaps and bounds ahead of DA2 in every regard. ME2 can be a fun popamole third person shooter if you disregard most of its cliché ridden and weak plot. DA2 is not even fun as a hack-n-slasher as it offers no challenge. ME2 on higher difficulty levels only require you to manage your team and use their abilities properly to take down your foes before they quickly shoot you dead. In DA2 higher difficulty means longer hacking and derping and that's it. Oh yes you also need to actually use potions on anything higher than normal because otherwise you never die or run out of mana/stamina. ME2 is more "tactical" than this game as it actually requires some small cognitive capabilities on the highest difficulty level to survive (reason #1 why most Biotards play only on normal). Not that I'm saying ME2's difficulty is anything to be proud of, quite the contrary, but compared to DA2 it actually is.

I guess I must be in denial loop, according to mister Gaydar's chart right now. *shrugs*

Code:
Graphics -- 5.5/10
Gameplay -- 4.0/10
Sound -- 6.0/10
Story -- 2.0/10
Replay Value -- 4.5/10
--------------------
Total Score -- 9.8/10

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Excellent fucking review racofer. :salute:

You will have to work for them for one year to pay your debts.

It's again funny that they yet again™ try to re-use an old BG II game mechanic (You have to work for one group to make money to proceed with the story mechanic) which worked very well (in my opinion) in BG II, but they even fucked this up.

At least in BGII you had some sense (all be it only a tiny part) of what is going on.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaesun said:
Excellent fucking review racofer. :salute:

It's again funny that they yet again™ try to re-use an old BG II game mechanic (You have to work for one group to make money to proceed with the story mechanic) which worked very well (in my opinion) in BG II, but they even fucked this up.

At least in BGII you had some sense (all be it only a tiny part) of what is going on.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Jaesun said:

Yes. They've probably done that just in case anyone notices this trend and complains the fanboys and biowhores will say "OF CAURSE ITZ THERE U TROLL TEH GAEM IS THE SPITRUAL SUXESSOR TO BG2 OLOLOLOLNNOOOOOBBB *SLURP SLURP*".

Ruprekt

Scholar
crazyhorsep1.gif

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
racofer said:
Jaesun said:

Yes. They've probably done that just in case anyone notices this trend and complains the fanboys and biowhores will say "OF CAURSE ITZ THERE U TROLL TEH GAEM IS THE SPITRUAL SUXESSOR TO BG2 OLOLOLOLNNOOOOOBBB *SLURP SLURP*".

:lol:

Very true.

WHAT'S WRONG CONSUMERS? WHY DO YOU HATE SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR'S TO BALDUR'S GATE?

Thanks for saving me the wasted time and bandwidth.

A few other people I follow have said the same kinds of things, and the conclusion is skip it, which is what I'll do.

These kinds of over-the-top flashing effects give me massive headaches anyway, so why torture myself.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Re: Racofer-kun's majestic Dragon Age Origins Effect 2 revie

racofer said:
The gameplay is mindless hack-n-slash, and in a bad way. Diablo 2 is mindless hack-n-slash but it offers you many, many ways of cutting through the endless... scratch that, D2 didn't have infinite respawning trash mobs. D2 actually posed a challenge and lots of fun. Dragon Age Turd combat is just as it has been said from the beginning - you press a button, one button (R) and something happens, not necessarily awesome (far from that). You press R and your character automatically locks on the nearest foe and hack away until it drops dead. You also get to spam your special attacks all the time now which makes it all that much worse.
What difficulty level are you playing on? You HAVE to use tactics on Hard and you can't just spam special attacks all the time. The non-filler (quest) fights are surprisingly difficult on Hard and brutal on Nightmare. I'd say it's simply impossible to beat the game on Hard just by pressing one button.

Plot is a mess. During these six hours of gameplay, there has been no plot whatsoever. Zero, nada, neinte. You flee from Lothering with your family and head towards Kirkwall. Once you get there you find out your rich uncle is in fact broken because he gambled the family fortune and lost it all and now lives in a dirty slum and owes favors and money for half the street gangs on the place. To gain entrance into the city, your uncle offers your services (which you cannot say no, by the way) to one of two gangs which you can chose. You will have to work for them for one year to pay your debts. What happens after that? Short movie, a year passes and you're inside the city. There's no mention of what you did during that year only that people now know your name and that's it.
Technically, you're offered to do a quick errand (quest is too strong a word) for either a mercenary guild or local smugglers. After it's done, they tell you that they will make the arrangement (i.e. they will pay the bribe to get you inside), so you don't have to wonder how you got inside.

I assume that the choice of the group determines what equipment you get and a few dialogues, but hardly more than that.

Jaesun said:
The story is focused on your character so far. He isn't a chosen one (yet), he isn't a member of some elite organization of awesome individuals. He is a refugee who lives in a shithole and is trying to get ahead. I think we all prefer this setup to saving the world type stories, but I'm sure that eventually it will come to it.

The biggest problem I have with the game so far is the lack of choices. You're playing an action-adventure game, basically. If the combat wasn't challenging, I would have uninstalled the game already.

The quests paint a nice picture of the grimdark setting (the corrupt officer setting up his own men, the mage kid who instead of being saved ends up with the slavers because the man who usually helps such cases doesn't help for free, etc) but the design is extremely basic. So, if you want to play an action RPG but don't want to just slay monsters and want some kinda story with all that slaying, then and only then the game is for you. From any other perspective, the game is shit.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Vault Dweller said:
What difficulty level are you playing on? You HAVE to use tactics on Hard and you can't just spam special attacks all the time. The non-filler (quest) fights are surprisingly difficult on Hard and brutal on Nightmare. I'd say it's simply impossible to beat the game on Hard just by pressing one button.

I'm playing on Hard, and no use for tactics whatsoever. I bring Bethany, Merril and Varric with me (I'm a warrior) and shop my way through the enemy hordes. It's possible it feels so easy because I have access to all DLCs along with their items? Possibly but I don't think so. I hardly take damage and with the Berserker talent, the less health I have the more damage I do so when my health starts to drop I kill enemies much faster. It's only now and then that I have to use a potion and that's because I'm too lazy to have Bethany cast heal on me.

The biggest problem I have with the game so far is the lack of choices. You're playing an action-adventure game, basically. If the combat wasn't challenging, I would have uninstalled the game already.

Yes that's a big issue. On that regard DA2 is exactly like Mass Effect. It's completely on rails with the eventual possibility of resolving a quest in either a violent or diplomatic way. Nothing more than that.

At least in Origins you were presented with "moral choices" early on and that sort of thing continued through most of the game. The Nature of the Beast quest is a good example of a quest with multiple outcomes and none of them feel particularly the right thing to do. So far in DA2, nothing even remotely similar.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
3-4 hours in and i'd really like to ask Bioware what the fuck happened. DA:O was somewhat cliched, but still competent and well executed. Lack of imagination was its only fatal flaw. This shit however is just plain alpha code with placeholder story, writing and assets. Bioware goes at it all wrong. Before you are allowed to release your Ascension, you fucks need to release 8 competent games, not 1.

attackfighter

Magister
I've been enjoying the game, far more than I enjoyed Origins. I think the writing has gotten better, and the combat is more visceral. It's by no means a good game, but it's average and so far has been worth playing through. Think I'm going to have to side with Volourn on this one.

chzr

Scholar
da2 on nightmare is harder then mass effect 2 on insaninity (which isn't difficult at all btw)

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I agree that the fights aren't always auto-win, but I chose a rogue whose power curve is going to be much sharper later on. Your warrior is probably plowing through for example the big spiders whereas it takes me a little effort in these early stages.

By the way, the graphics do continue to impress me, as you said they would. At least the game is pretty. It's like an empty-headed yet hot-looking bimbo, good for what she is.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
racofer said:
Vault Dweller said:

I'm playing on Hard, and no use for tactics whatsoever. I bring Bethany, Merril and Varric with me (I'm a warrior) and shop my way through the enemy hordes. It's possible it feels so easy because I have access to all DLCs along with their items? Possibly but I don't think so. I hardly take damage and with the Berserker talent, the less health I have the more damage I do so when my health starts to drop I kill enemies much faster. It's only now and then that I have to use a potion and that's because I'm too lazy to have Bethany cast heal on me.

Why not play on nightmare? I died several times on the intro alone. If they fixed the camera the combat would be salvaged so I'm waiting for a mod to do it.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Re: Racofer-kun's majestic Dragon Age Origins Effect 2 revie

Vault Dweller said:
racofer said:
The gameplay is mindless hack-n-slash, and in a bad way. Diablo 2 is mindless hack-n-slash but it offers you many, many ways of cutting through the endless... scratch that, D2 didn't have infinite respawning trash mobs. D2 actually posed a challenge and lots of fun. Dragon Age Turd combat is just as it has been said from the beginning - you press a button, one button (R) and something happens, not necessarily awesome (far from that). You press R and your character automatically locks on the nearest foe and hack away until it drops dead. You also get to spam your special attacks all the time now which makes it all that much worse.

It isn't hard, it is simply tedious. Since the enemies spawn out of thin air (crawl from ground, jump down from somewhere) the only viable tactic is kiting foes from afar and pulling them to a safe location.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Gay-Lussac said:
Why not play on nightmare? I died several times on the intro alone. If they fixed the camera the combat would be salvaged so I'm waiting for a mod to do it.

Even with fucking shit combat (See Planesace: Torment, and Arcanum) there is at least some drive to continue on with the game.

Gay-Lussac said:
Why not play on nightmare?

I remember a few codexers stating "I shouldn't have to play on Hard to have a hard game, because older games were already hard enough even on Normal, blablahblah", or some other matter-of-principles thing like that. It was about DA1, I think.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Gay-Lussac said:

Why not play without swords?

When the only difference in a game's difficulty is how many hits it takes to kill the same enemy and how much extra damage I take, it's just not interesting. What's the point of fights that last 5 minutes longer and requires you to drink more potions than usual?

If the game instead required me to combine my party's abilities and focus on specific enemies that could potentially me cause more trouble, or work with spells to take out immune enemies or buff my party, then that would be worth cranking the difficulty all the way up. But in games like DA2 all it does is make your health drop faster and nerf your damage output without any other element added into the equation. It's like playing a racing game where other vehicles have 50% more engine power than yours for no reason other than nerf your performance.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Gay-Lussac said:

I remember a few codexers stating "I shouldn't have to play on Hard to have a hard game, because older games were already hard enough even on Normal, blablahblah", or some other matter-of-principles thing like that. It was about DA1, I think.

Makes perfect sense.

Jaesun, I don't understand what you meant exactly, care to explain?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Clockwork Knight said:
Gay-Lussac said:

I remember a few codexers stating "I shouldn't have to play on Hard to have a hard game", or some other matter-of-principles thing like that. It was about DA1, I think.

I like the Japanese game design principle (DMC style). Normal difficulty is hard, hard is nightmarish and beyond that is is not for the untermensch anymore.

But on the other hand, I grew up with the sadistic french/british/german games of early 90s, so...

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
racofer said:
Gay-Lussac said:

Why not play without swords?

When the only difference in a game's difficulty is how many hits it takes to kill the same enemy and how much extra damage I take, it's just not interesting. What's the point of fights that last 5 minutes longer and requires you to drink more potions than usual?

If the game instead required me to combine my party's abilities and focus on specific enemies that could potentially me cause more trouble, or work with spells to take out immune enemies or buff my party, then that would be worth cranking the difficulty all the way up. But in games like DA2 all it does is make your health drop faster and nerf your damage output without any other element added into the equation. It's like playing a racing game where other vehicles have 50% more engine power than yours for no reason other than nerf your performance.

:thumbsup:

Gay-Lussac said:
Makes perfect sense.

It does when you realize Codexers are hardcore masochists with a questionable amount of free time.

Not only will they torrent a 15 gig game they are 95% certain they won't like, they will also play it on an easier difficulty level that they can manage, just to squeeze the maximum suffering out of it

They probably go straight for the gay romances, too

What is this filth? Just because I egged that faggy elf on every time he hit on me, instead of telling him to fuck off the first time it happened, doesn't mean I want to bone him! Why does the game submit me to this, against my will?

paa106000047.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom