Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Call of Duty - Bioware's RPG of the Year

.Sigurd

Educated
"They'll play Call Of Duty but they don't necessarily associate that as an RPG"

Speaking to NowGamer Melo said: "We have data that shows there are a lot of people that enjoy playing RPGs although they won't necessarily call them RPGs. They'll play Fallout, Assassin's Creed and even Call Of Duty, which have these progression elements - you're putting points into things - but they don't necessarily associate that as an RPG. So we think that if we expand that out we'll attract a much bigger audience."
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/5141/biowa ... s-audience

motivator8727818.jpg

^Makes perfect sense, when you consider that most people probably interpret rpg as "game with lots of options on what to do". Take away the slow-paced rpg gameplay most people don't like as much as actiony gameplay, and you have rpg 2.0.

Rogue

Educated
LOL. Well, it's official, RPGs are dead.
Although I will say this - CoD is no less a rpg than ME2 is imo.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
I have to laugh, really, I do, I cant get upset, ill hurt things if I do.

So I laugh.

Future of RPG's.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So an RPG is a game with progression elements?

Well fuck, I'll need to update my list to include EVERY FUCKING GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED EVER, INCLUDING FUCKING KIRBY'S PINBALL AND HENTAI GAMES.

Cassidy

Arcane
I'd ask my dog about this and his answer would probably be better than Bioware's bullshit marketing campaign "opinion". So I just shouldn't really bother with this.

Multi-headed Cow

Cassidy said:
I'd ask my dog about this and his answer would probably be better than Bioware's bullshit marketing campaign "opinion". So I just shouldn't really bother with this.
What is an RPG, dog?
RUFF
You think RPGs are defined by their difficulty? Whooza monocle puppy? You are! You are!
gentlemandog.jpg

Seolas

Liturgist
Someone needs to make a Hitler spoof video about this with Hitler as the raging Codex regular.

"At least we still have the Polish..."
"Mein Fuhrer..."

a lot of people that enjoy playing RPGs although they won’t necessarily call them RPGs. They’ll play Fallout, Assassin’s Creed and even Call Of Duty

This is fucking enraging. I probably shouldn't be, but I am genuinely surprised that a professional who has most likely worked on various forms of RPGs can make such an ignorant statement.

Why can't we have competent people with intelligence and an understanding of what they are doing? Even if they are going to be producing shit just to make money, can't we at least have people who, underneath it all, hide an understanding of what they are doing?

Interview.jpg

Here's a face to go with the name in case anyone wanted to go give him a visit..

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Ye gods. His smile reminds me of Pete Hines's. And not in a good way.

Kinda explains the idiotic statement too.

Sceptic said:
Ye gods. His smile reminds me of Pete Hines's. And not in a good way.

Kinda explains the idiotic statement too.

Yeah, more of a "We're gonna take all your money, suckers" kind of smile

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom