Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Beth vs Interplay Catfight Update

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks

<p>VG247 <a href="http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/21/audio-%E2%80%93-euro-morning-news-bulletin-january-21-2011/#more-139817" target="_blank">conducted a phone interview</a> with Pete Hines last night, reports NMA.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><span class="postbody">"We own the rights to the MMO,&rdquo; he said when asked if Caen&rsquo;s comments were true. <br /> <br /> He continued: &ldquo;We own the rights to everything Fallout. The licence is ours. Fallout belongs to us. That&rsquo;s what I&rsquo;ll clarify. <br /> <br /> &ldquo;Beyond that, I&rsquo;m not commenting on anybody else&rsquo;s comments. It&rsquo;s a legal matter. A specific MMO or project or any of that stuff, the lawyers are all going to sort it out.&rdquo;</span></p>
</blockquote>
<p><span class="postbody"><a href="http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/21/audio-%E2%80%93-euro-morning-news-bulletin-january-21-2011/#more-139817" target="_blank">Listen to it.</a></span></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><span class="postbody">Additionally, there's an interview with Eric Caen at Eurogamer. <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-21-interplay-fallout-6-could-be-ours" target="_blank">Fallout 6 could be ours</a>.</span></p>
<blockquote>
<p>"We sold the Fallout IP to Bethesda in exchange for a certain amount of cash and the right to do the Fallout MMO," he said. "If they refuse to let us do the game, then the sale of the IP is terminated, and they will be allowed to do only one more Fallout, 5.</p>
<p>"But in that case, the IP will come back to us, and of course, we will complete our work and release Fallout MMO."</p>
</blockquote>
<p><span class="postbody"><em>This newsitem was brought to you by Derper.</em><br /></span></p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57718">NMA</a></p>

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
“We own the rights to everything Fallout. The licence is ours. Fallout belongs to us. That’s what I’ll clarify.

Bethesda can make an MMO but not use the Fallout name.

Interplay can make an MMO using the Fallout name, but not use anything Fallout.

:lol:

Ausir

Arcane
if IPLY wins the lawsuit, marking all the FO3 and FNV pages as non-canon at The Vault will take a while.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
I can see no good comming from any of this.

As much as we might dislike Bethesda and FO3, (not Obs' NV which was good), do we really think Interplay is in any position to develop, publish, promote and release anything of any value?

Interplay will probably win this case - then promptly close it's doors (for good this time) and, for better or worse, that will be the end of the franchise.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I always speculated that Betsheda might loose the IP...so...thats what im rooting for.

And nothing of value was lost.

Maybe if they stopped relying on IP they could actually do something with mechanics...

Notorious

Augur
Ausir said:
Can you leave the story about Prosper?

If IPLY wins, I won't be deleting anything, just marking it as non-canon. :)

Now I hope Interplay wins because then we could ignore all the bullshit that happened in F3 (Seriously there were more heavily armoured guys in the wastland than common folks)

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Interplay winning won't make fallout 3 non-canon anymore than fallout 1 and 2 became non-canon when the license became bethesda's.

xemous

Arcane
AlaCarcuss said:

As much as we might dislike Bethesda and FO3, (not Obs' NV which was good), do we really think Interplay is in any position to develop, publish, promote and release anything of any value?

Interplay will probably win this case - then promptly close it's doors (for good this time) and, for better or worse, that will be the end of the franchise.

the scenario you described is ideal.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
xemous said:
AlaCarcuss said:

Jim Cojones

Prophet
xemous said:
AlaCarcuss said:

It is but it's also unrealistic. If I'play wins, they will sell the rights again. This time it would be worth much more and I guess EA or Activision would be interested. Either way, nothing will save Fallout.

levelup

Novice
I sincerely hope Bethesda loses big time, and the rights revert back to Interplay. Then they could make a real fallout 3.

Ausir

Arcane
Mastermind said:
Interplay winning won't make fallout 3 non-canon anymore than fallout 1 and 2 became non-canon when the license became bethesda's.

Except Bethesda had the rights to use all lore from Fallout 1 and 2, while even if Interplay wins, it won't be able to use any of the stuff created by Bethesda for Fallout 3 and by Obsidian for New Vegas.

deuxhero

Arcane
BattleTech has a few mechs they can't legally use (because their designs were homages to various sci-fi series), but they are kept in-continuity, just never seen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom