Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Wasteland: Complete

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
UPDATES
Part the First: http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... 33#1435033
Part the Second: http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... 10#1436010
Part the Third: http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... 45#1443545
Part the Fourth: http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... 41#1445941
Part the Fifth: http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... 97#1448597
Part the Sixth: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 82#1452582
Part the Seventh: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 59#1463959
Part the Eighth: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 30#1475330
Part the Ninth: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 18#1481518
Part the Tenth: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 21#1483521
Part the Eleventh: http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... 63#1487963
Part the Final: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 11#1501211
Closing Thoughts: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37#1506437

1075108106-00.jpg

wl_010.png

wl_011.png

wl_012.png

wl_013.png

wl_014.png

wl_015.png

The following is an excerpt from The History of the Desert Rangers, The Early Years, by Karl Allard, 2087, Allard Press, Ranger Center Hardbound pp. 293, $20 gold.

Tensions grew with the coming of 1998. The United States’ Citadel Starstation was slated to be fully operational by March, Soviet charges that the space station was merely a military launching platform alarmed a number of nonaligned nations. The right wing governments in the South and Central Americas, many of them set up by the U.S. during the Drug Wars (1987-1993), pledged their support to the U.S. The NATO nations, including the new African members also declared their alliance with the U.S. That move forced most of the remaining neutral powers to join the Soviet protest. In six short weeks, only Switzerland, Sweden, and Ireland continued to declare themselves neutral nations.

Two weeks before Citadel was due for full operation, the station transmitted a distress signal. Immediately after the message was sent, most of the satellites orbiting the planet were swept clean from the sky, leaving the great powers blind. In military panic, each sent 90 percent of their nuclear arsenals skyward. Although the destruction was tremendous, it was not complete. Pockets of civilization remained, some even oblivious to the military exchange.

On the same day that the U.S. and Soviet Union were attempting to extinguish each other, a company of RPGCodex LARPer scouts were in the southwestern deserts building transportation bridges over dry riverbeds.
They worked deep in the inhospitable desert valleys, surrounded by a number of survivalist communities. Located directly south of their position on that day was a newly-constructed federal prison. In addition to
housing the nation’s exponentially growing population of savage, murderous trannies, the prison contained light industrial manufacturing facilities originally used for brutal sex change operations.

Shortly after the nuclear attack began, the Codexers, seeking shelter, took over the federal prison and expelled the trannies into the desolate desert to complete their sentences. As the weeks passed, they invited the nearby survivalist communities to join them and to help them build a new society. Because of each communities’ suspicions towards one another, stoked by the crazed paranoia of the survivalist leader Mr Blakemore, times were difficult at first. But as time nurtured trust, this settlement -- which came to be known as New Codexia -- grew to be one of the strongest outposts.
New Codexia even proved powerful enough to repel the hands of rancorous trannies who repeatedly attacked in attempts to reclaim what was once “rightfully theirs" and finish their operations.

The citizens of New Codexia, after first believing that they were the only ones who survived the nuclear malestrom, soon realized that communities beyond the desert’s grip had also survived. Because they had such success in constructing a new community, they felt compelled to help other survivors rebuild and live in peace.

Toward this end, the Desert Rangers, in the great tradition of the Texas and Arizona Rangers a century before, were born.

Wasteland is a post-nuclear holocaust adventure. Your party, the famed Desert Rangers, have been assigned to investigate a series of disturbances in the desert. After several strategy meetings, you’ve decided to search for clues in Highpool, the Agricultural Center, and the Rail Nomads’ Camp, all of which are located to the west of Ranger Center.

Wasteland. Brian Fargo's original brainchild and Fallout's predecessor. It is a cranky, drunken uncle or a warm, hardy and dignified grandfather eager to tell us tales of how he saw and did it all better than any of these newfangled, wimpy CRPGs of the 90s could ever hope? This'll be a blind LP, and going even by comments on this board, it could well go either way. We shall see. Together.

You know the drill. Volunteer your characters and, if you wish, party role, stats and skills. Attributes are randomly rolled, so you'll end up with a rough approximation at best. Also, pick a nationality from Kwanzanian, Russian, Melcar, Wyrmlord and Chinese. Doesn't affect anything, really. We're allowed four played-made characters, but I get the impression we'll be seeing a fair bit of party death, so don't hesitate to volunteer yourselves for the reserves.

Stats and skills are as follows.
Strength (ST): The ability to overpower enemies or to lift, move, and break items. This is important in hand-to-hand combat and in physical tasks such as breaking down doors.

Intelligence (IQ): How well a character thinks and solves problems. This is probably the mot important attribute because it determines which and how many skills a character may master. Certain skills can only be mastered by characters with an IQ of a certain level or above. Characters start with skill points equal to their IQ. During the course of the game, you’ll definitely want to raise your IQ.

Luck (LK): Lucky characters tend to find more things and avoid more damage then unlucky ones. Luck also improves your odds in hand-to-hand combat.

Speed (SP): How quickly you move, which helps you escape tight situations.

Agility (AGL): How deftly you move. High agility enhances your acrobatic ability, so you can do things like dodge blows and jump on tables The higher this value, the better you’ll perform in hand-to-hand combat.

Dexterity (DEX): Ability to master fine movements like picking locks or aiming weapons. Dexterity is very important in combat, and extremely useful in mastering the “thiefly” arts.

Charisma (CHR): This attribute lets you know how likeable or persuasive a character is. Although it may seem like a trivial trait. it might well make the difference between life and death as you try to convince someone that you’re trustworthy. Charisma also affects how an NPC will react to you when you want to hire him or trade equipment.

Skill Points (SKP): When you first create a character, this value is identical to IQ. The more skill points you have, the more skills you can learn. You can acquire more skill points during the game (see “Skills” for more details).

Skills, with the basic IQ requirement for them above them. The number next to the skill denotes the number of skill points required to buy the first level in the skill, with successive levels doubling in cost. Not sure how high they can go.
IQ 3
Brawling (1): Any fighter who can wander through a full-fledged bar fight without getting much more
than a scratch is either very lucky or highly skilled in brawling. The higher your skill in brawling, the
more attacks you get per round in hand-to-hand combat.

Climb (1): Gives you the ability to climb over fences, up sheer cliff faces, and out of pits.

Clip Pistol (1): A must-have skill since your initial weapon issue will be either the M1911A1 .45 caliber
or a VP91Z 9 mm automatic clip pistol. Without this skill, you won’t be very accurate with the weapon or
have much luck fixing it if it breaks.

Knife Fighting (1): When fighting with knives, this give an advantage to a skilled fighter over an
unskilled one.

Pugilism (1): One of the oldest forms of fighting, it teaches you how to dish out punches as well as avoid
them. Handy for those close-up battles where the fists start flying.

Rifle (1): A good basic skill to have since many of the weapons sold by raiders are serviceable M19 rifles.
You’ll rue the day you didn’t pick up this skill as you look helplessly at the rifle you can’t shoot
accurately.

Swim (1): The desert sands don’t blanket the entire earth. This will come in hand in those spots where
you have to swim.

IQ 6
Knife Throwing (1): A tricky skill that comes in handy when fighting gets heavy. You use up all your
ammo and resort to throwing knives.

Perception (1): Helps the character find concealed items and notice when things are out of the ordinary.
No one should be without it.

IQ 9
Assault Rifle (1): If you’re using an AK-97 or M1089A1 assault rifle, this skill helps you fire, load, and
unjam it quickly. A skill that ranks up there in importance with walking and breathing.

AT Weapon (1): Helps you recognize and use anti-tank weapons like LAW rockets. A handy skill to
have should you encounter something far tougher than your Ranger instructors ever told you about.

SMG (1): Lets a character control basic submachine guns like the Uzi or Mac 17. May make a big
difference when you’re outnumbered three to one by bandits who’ve decided that they want the gold from
your teeth.

IQ 10
Acrobat (1): This skill for the agile can get you out of a tough situation -- like leaping off of bar counters
while you’re surrounded by a hostile crowd.

Gamble (1): The skill that built Vegas, you’ll do well in all games of chance, and you’ll; also be able to
spot a crooked game from a mile away.

Picklock (1): This can get you into places where you want to go, but where other don’t want you to go.,

Silent Movement (1): This helps you move unnoticed past a guard post; making it tough for enemies to
catch up with you.

IQ 11
Confidence (1): For an already charismatic person, good confidence can enable one to talk to a miser out
of his fortune. It’s particularly useful for getting information from people who are suspicious of you.

IQ 12
Sleight of Hand (1): A thieving skill that lets you perform sleight-of-hand tricks -- perfect when you need
to amaze those you meet.

IQ 13
Demolition (1): Teaches you how much of an explosive substance you can use without blowing yourself
up.

Forgery (1): Helps you recognize or create a forged document. Someday you my just need to whip up a
security pass to get by some vigilant guards.

IQ 14
Alarm Disarm (1): Trains you to recognize and disable alarms. If you want to get into a place without
getting caught, this a good skill to have.

Bureaucracy (1): Even though most of civilization ended with the bomb, an inordinate number of petty
bureaucrats managed to survive. This helps you deal with them so you can get when you want.

IQ 15
Bomb Disarm (2): Allows you to defuse most explosive devices.

Medic (2): A vital skill that lets a character stabilize a badly-wounded comrade so he or she has a chance
to recover.

Safecrack (2): An experience practitioner of this art can open safes sealed even before the holocaust.

IQ 16
Cryptology (2): Gives you the talent to encode and decode messages. Useful in helping you determine
what a password might be.

IQ 17
Metallurgy (2): Increases your ability to spot, identify, and work with some basic metals.

And why yes I am planning on robbing the pregenerated party blind before dismissing them

Alex

Arcane
I would like to volunteer!

Name: Alex
Nationality: Russian

ST: 7
IQ: 17
LK: 12
SP: 9
AGL: 6
DEX: 15
CHR: 12

Skills:

SMG: 1
Pick Lock: 2
Demolition: 1
Forgery: 2
Alarm Disarm: 2
Medic: 2

Party Role: Medic/Thief (though I sae no reason to focus on light weapons. If there is any, feel free to change around explosives and SMG).

Edit: Changed the skills because I read the cost mechanics wrong.

chzr

Scholar
chzr

mexican female

tried rolling few times and it rolls quite shitty stats, so we'll all end up much worse i guess.
max (16-18) IQ
high (~11-14) DEX, CHR

Priority is 16+ IQ, then DEX then CHR.

skills:
2 assault rifles
1 AT weapons
1 swim
1 climb
1 sleight of hand
1 acrobat
1 perception
1 confidence
1 bureaucracy
1 medic
2 brawling
= 16 SP (if you get 17, add 1 gambling, if 18, save last point.)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunker reporting for duty! I think I did this right..:

Name: Feng-Grunker

Nationality: Chinese

ST: 15
IQ: 15
LK: 6
SP: 10
AGL: 18
DEX: 13
CHR: 3

Skills:

Pugilism (Level 3, Points: 7)

Acrobat (Level: 2, Points: 3)

Alarm Disarm (Level: 2, Points: 3)

Safecrack (Level: 1, Points: 2)

Total points: 15

Party Role: Hand-to-hand combat ninja and safe-cracker!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Ulminati, the Wyrmlordian reporting for duty! :salute:

Will edit in stats later, or accept whatever pre-rolled ones I get if I'm too slow.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Crooked Bee (or just Bee, or Beevis), a Kwanzanian. :salute:

The higher Strength and Dexterity, the better
No less than 15-16 Intelligence

ST 18
IQ 16
LK 11
SP 9
AGL 10
DEX 17-18
CHR 6

Skills: the more weapon skills the better + perception (lvl 2), silent move, brawling (?), and whatever else you find appropriate.

It's been really long since I last played the game and my character is probably p. lame and unrealistic, so feel free to change this in any way you like.

Luzur

Good Sir
Luzur, Monocled Gentleman.

Swedish.

ST 17
IQ 18
LK 12
SP 10
AGL 11
DEX 13
CHR 17

Skills: monocle handling, handguns and speech.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mico Selva, male, Mexican
role: burglar/sharpshooter/weakling

approx. stats (went with 75 total, or more):

ST: 6+
IQ: 15+
LK: 12+
SP: 12+
AGL: 12+
DEX: 15+
CHA: 3+

starting skills:

climb: 1 (1sp)
clip pistol: 1 (1sp)
rifle: 1 (1sp)
swim: 1 (1sp)
perception: 1 (1sp)
assault rifle: 1 (1sp)
smg: 1 (1sp)
acrobat: 1 (1sp)
gamble: 1 (1sp)
picklock: 1 (1sp)
alarm disarm: 1 (1sp)
medic: 1 (2sp)
safecrack: 1 (2sp)

Yeesh

Magister
Puet me in, coach. After a bunch of people die.

Yeesh
Fucking USA American

ST: Meh
IQ: HIGH
LK: Meh
SP: MED
AGL: MED
DEX: HIGH
CHA: Meh

Skills:
Assault Rifle (I won't be around for the early game anyway)
Bomb Disarm
Explosives
Perception
Forgery
Cryptology
(pick lock)
(safe crack)
(medic)

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I'll scale it up for a bit for the next one, didn't realise it would come out quite that small. Should be able to update this weekend, upcoming exams and being stuck away from home due to the snow mean I haven't really been home to play much

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Right, making a start, should have a first instalment up tomorrow. The promised Garry's Mod depictions of special scenes won't be available, though, since my Gmod-capable computer has died a grisly death.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
Right, making a start, should have a first instalment up tomorrow. The promised Garry's Mod depictions of special scenes won't be available, though, since my Gmod-capable computer has died a grisly death.

:x :rage:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Screenshot-06_12_201000_22_07.png

Screenshot-06_12_201000_23_18.png

And here we are. The default party of rangers set out, bravely braving the wastes, to bring peace once more and quell the barely-explained disturbances that have arisen. Note the greenery.

Screenshot-06_12_201000_27_30.png

Screenshot-06_12_201000_32_53.png

What's this? Our brave heroes are being mugged and murdered for their equipment!

Screenshot-06_12_201000_34_30.png

Okay, this rolling business could take a while.

Screenshot-06_12_201000_42_43.png

It's a bit out still, but it's a rough approximation, and the important stats for the build seem to have been attributed fairly correctly. Onward!

Screenshot-06_12_201000_48_03.png

Here's chzr, our ogre-like Mexican female supergenius. I couldn't let a stat pool like this go.

Screenshot-06_12_201000_54_36.png

Feng-Grunker, our agile martial artist safecracker.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_03_49.png

And here's Ulminati. Without the guidance of his prefered stats, I've chosen to make him a traditional Fallout-esque Diplosniper, skilled in persuasive abilities, clip pistols and standard rifles, all of which we were lacking. We'll see how useful he proves, or any of this motley crew for that matter.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_13_03.png

The band of bros, their adventure off to a great start having finished looting and murdering the real desert rangers, set out into the wastes. The settlement of Highpool is visible from the Ranger Center just off to the West, so it's there we head first. I have to say, I didn't expect quite this much greenery.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_13_22.png

The grace and nobility of the desert rangers is unparalleled.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_14_09.png

What the fuck?

Screenshot-06_12_201001_14_16.png

This might not be quite what it looks like. You enter this screen every time you choose to "encounter" an NPC/creature, and it doesn't necessarily mean they're hostile or will attack unless you do. With that in mind, I tell our bros to try pretty much everything I can think of; evading, hiring, persuading and charismaing.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_15_22.png

That went well. Let's leave them alone.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_15_42.png

Ooh. Secrets in the store.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_24_18.png

We sell a few of our ill-gotten goods, excess crowbars and guns, that kind of thing. Not a bad cash injection, as far as I can tell.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_27_17.png

They shout, but don't seem to do anything. We explore cautiously.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_34_11.png

Screenshot-06_12_201001_34_17.png

Screenshot-06_12_201001_34_24.png

Screenshot-06_12_201001_34_30.png

Camp Highpool... it's starting to come together. This was a summer camp for kids when the bombs fell, turning them into mutants with no real adult guidance. They've become feral... these are the kind of vulnerable people the desert rangers set up to protect. Let's see what they need done.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_34_45.png

That'll do nicely.
Water purifier? Hmm...

Screenshot-06_12_201001_35_15.png

We encounter a kid in the bottom-left corner of town. Not sure why the shots turned out like this.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_35_18.png

No response :( I ask him about the dog.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_35_46.png

Then "Jackie"...

Screenshot-06_12_201001_36_19.png

Then "cave". It's starting to come together.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_36_30.png

Screenshot-06_12_201001_36_36.png

Huh. Okay.
We enter one of the larger buildings to the east.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_41_49.png

chzr's perception comes in handy! A leather jacket and bundle of cash are our rewards; not bad.

Screenshot-06_12_201002_03_16.png

Our first task: fix the water purifier! Hmmmmmm.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_50_45.png

Perception again. Now to use the rope. I knew this game influenced Fallout heavily, but at this point, it's starting to look like Fallout was closer to a remake than a spiritual sequel.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_50_59.png

Screenshot-06_12_201001_51_14.png

Screenshot-06_12_201001_51_38.png

chzr attempts to climb the rocks for us. There's a lot of this.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_51_56.png

Screenshot-06_12_201001_52_03.png

Rex?

Screenshot-06_12_201001_52_09.png

Good doggie. To action, then!

Screenshot-06_12_201001_52_36.png

Screenshot-06_12_201001_52_43.png

Combat seems to be a fairly typical blob-like affair, with turns playing out simultaneously in a scrolling window once all your actions are picked. Sorry if there's a bit of repetition here, just getting used to the speed.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_52_54.png

Packs a surprising bite. I have my gun-wielding characters switch to crowbars to save ammo for now; though I'm not sure how scarce it'll be later on, best to be prepared and all that.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_53_19.png

There we go. Good freakish mutant Mexican lady.
There's a tantalizing space behind some "very hard" rocks further up the cave, but we can't climb them right now. I'm assuming that's where Jackie will be. We'll come back later.

Screenshot-06_12_201001_59_40.png

Right, I've had enough of these fucking kids.

Screenshot-06_12_201002_00_32.png

He suffered from the terrible mutation known as the Ginge. It was a mercy killing.

Screenshot-06_12_201002_01_05.png

Bobby and the dog both dropped jewelry, which I sell on for a tidy profit. The shopkeeper gleefully accepts the blood-stained proceeds of my infanticide. The shop has items like geiger counters that might come into handy in future, but I won't buy anything until I know or suspect I need it.

We seem to have done all there is to do in Highpool, so let's head out. We'll keep our eyes open for any working engines.

Screenshot-06_12_201002_05_16.png

The wastes aren't a safe place to walk. Just before this, I encountered a group of mutants, which resulted in a total party kill. These things are a tad closer to our level.

Screenshot-06_12_201002_05_23.png

Screenshot-06_12_201002_05_27.png

I feel so manly.

So we're off. Don't know where we're going or what we're actually looking for, but we'll know it when we get there. So far, my impressions are very positive; some Codexers warned that much of the Wasteland love came from nostalgia as opposed to real quality, and I was expecting it to be quite cumbersome and difficult to get into at least. That's certainly far from the truth. It's a 1988 RPG, so it might be a bit of a shock to the system, but so far I'm finding it surprisingly intuitive. There seem to be a vast range of available skill checks, and the game seems to reward unconventional thinking (avoiding fighting the Highpool kids). I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the game holds, and finally meeting the fabled king of the BROS.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I swear someone else tried a wasteland LP way back. I THINK it was jarl frank, but I could be mistaken. I only remember this because whoever it was killed the dog and kid as well.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Sniper rifles and diplomacy sounds fine :salute:

If you get the chance to sneak some explosives in as well, I'll be a happy camper

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
anus_pounder said:
I swear someone else tried a wasteland LP way back. I THINK it was jarl frank, but I could be mistaken. I only remember this because whoever it was killed the dog and kid as well.

It was Liberal, apparently. His wasn't as good as mine, and he gave up after Highpool, because he's not as good as me.

If you need any help let me know, I know this game quite well. Finally, someone is willing to test the theory and find out that Wasteland is one of the best CRPG's ever made. Enjoy.

Apart from some weapon skills, try to make specialists rather than jack of all trades, apart from a swimming each which helps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom