Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 2 - Reloaded goes Real-Time

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Update ]</strong>

<a href="http://www.4players.de/4players.php/spielinfonews/PC-CDROM/24218/2040698" target="_blank">4players.de has word</a> (in German) that JA2 remake <a href="http://www.jaggedalliance.com/index.php?id=21&L=1" target="_blank"><strong>Jagged Alliance 2 - Reloaded</strong></a> will ditch turn-based combat in favor of a real-time with pause system. Surely a sign of great things to come from bitComposer.<blockquote>    The turn-based strategy system will not be implemented. Tactical battles will not be fought in TB mode but in realtime - it will, however, be possible to pause at any time or to configure an automatic pause. (for instance: when a merc runs out of ammo.

Advantages of the Plan & Go-system, when compared to the original TB summarized:
    -It is more dynamic, because it allows realtime battles
    -It introduces timing as a gameplay element: Due to transparent and foreseeable enemy movement, it will be possible for the player to sneak dextrously past them or wait for a good opportunity for an attack.
    -It makes it impossible to stumble into a fight while the mercs are far from the front lines. In JA2 it was very time-consuming to move all mercs to the front line, because you had to split their movement over several rounds.
    -Battles with many enemies are faster. A turn took a long time in JA2, when many mercs and enemies were involved in a fight.
    -The new system supports new AI features as suppression and flanking, which only work when the actions take place simultaneously - not in sequence.
</blockquote>
Yes, this newspost is a bit redundant since it's already been covered at <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=51539" target="_blank">the Codex</a>, but this site is called Tacticular Cancer. We do not take our duties lightly.

spectre

Arcane
Oh well, twas to be expected.

-It is more dynamic, because it allows realtime battles
Horseshit. If you want to maintain the same degree of control, you will pause every second, or play on maximum slowdown.
-It introduces timing as a gameplay element: Due to transparent and foreseeable enemy movement, it will be possible for the player to sneak dextrously past them or wait for a good opportunity for an attack.
Which was totaly impossible in turn based :-/
Also, was it a 1.13 feature that turn based didn't engage until the enemy atually saw you?
-It makes it impossible to stumble into a fight while the mercs are far from the front lines. In JA2 it was very time-consuming to move all mercs to the front line, because you had to split their movement over several rounds.
Valid, but same shit will happen in RTwP. It's not a TB vs RTwP feature, it's a direct consequence of you playing the game wrong.
-Battles with many enemies are faster. A turn took a long time in JA2, when many mercs and enemies were involved in a fight.
Horseshit. Also, see point 1.
-The new system supports new AI features as suppression and flanking, which only work when the actions take place simultaneously - not in sequence.
You could have just admited that you cannot into AI programming.

To be honest, they could have just admitted that they want to make it real time, cause TB does not sell. Really. I would have understood perfectly.
Now, why did you need to call it Jagged Aliance for again?
</ :rage: >

DaViLLaN

Augur
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUNK!

I give up. They win.
so where then, do I buy teh halo.

:x

puke

Novice
i guess i'm the only person who thinks that RTWP or WEGO gives a better tactical experience than IGO/UGO.

As long as you can issue orders during the pause, any kind of simultanious movement game is better than sequential movement.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
puke said:
i guess i'm the only person who thinks that RTWP or WEGO gives a better tactical experience than IGO/UGO.

As long as you can issue orders during the pause, any kind of simultanious movement game is better than sequential movement.

WEGO can work but RTWP usually just degenerates into a clusterfuck. IGOUGO works just fine when you have a small number of pieces and interrupt-actions are coded in.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Jagged Alliance Two Composter Edition.

There is no facepalm to express what I'm thinking of this.

puke said:

go fuck yourself and leave Jagged Alliance alone.

Some people play chess. Other people prefer tennis. Now you come and tell me that tennis is better.

puke

Novice
what a seductive invitation to reasoned conversation, unfortuneatly i'll have to demure.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Stop using shitty marketing words please

IGO/UGO lol, don't be a pretentious prick and call it turn-based.

puke

Novice
MetalCraze said:

because, my friend, i'm in favor of simultanious resolution even in turn based implementations. I'm not talking about tactical deficiencies in turn based games in general, but rather a specific kind of turn based game: that being those with sequential turn resolution.

but i wouldnt have to explain that to you if you we're not, to use your own fine sort of vernacular, a fucktarded TBT appologist with a complete inability to understand game mechanics more complicated than those found in checkers or tic-tac-toe.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
puke said:
MetalCraze said:

because, my friend, i'm in favor of simultanious resolution even in turn based implementations. I'm not talking about tactical deficiencies in turn based games in general, but rather a specific kind of turn based game: that being those with sequential turn resolution.
It's phase based, not turn based. Turn based is when you move stuff in turns.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
puke said:

I might be biased because of my experience, however I don't recall to hear these terms. So I looked at wikipedia and found this:
Igo can refer to the following:
Igo, another name for Go (game)
I-GO, a non-profit organization which operates a car sharing service in Chicago, Illinois
iGo, a brand of universal power adapter that allow a user to power multiple devices with a single adapter
iGO (software), a PDA/PNA navigation software, manufactured by Nav N Go Ltd.
IGO, or intergovernmental organization (see also) international organization
Igo, California, a small town in the United States
Indonesia Goes Open Source (IGOS)
[/quote]
UGO Networks, the entertainment portal website
Ugo Province, Japan
Ugo, Akita, a town in Japan
Yup Ugo province and more importantly Ugo, Akita.

And also this:
names.whitepages.com/New_York/Ugo/Igo

denizsi

Arcane
Hahahaha.

Who didn't see this coming?

And honestly, who really gives a fuck? It's not like they could possibly provide a better experience than 1.13 + other mods.

spectre said:
Also, was it a 1.13 feature that turn based didn't engage until the enemy atually saw you?

No, that is Vanillla feature.

Horseshit. Also, see point 1.

Not at all. JA2 was poorly designed in this area. The game literally processes (ie. plays the animations for) every single NPC whether they are in LOS of your mercs or not when the turns for NPCs that your mercs don't see or hear should be a breeze and not rendered at all except for those conditions. Of course, they are exchanging poor design for shit design with insane reasoning.

To be honest, they could have just admitted that they want to make it real time, cause TB does not sell. Really. I would have understood perfectly.
Now, why did you need to call it Jagged Aliance for again?
</ :rage: >

Because fans are morons and will buy anything even if they know it's shit.

They could at the very least offer both options, perhaps having to choose either only when you start a new game. This "only WE know what's best for players" mentality is sickening me. Why not do it, just why? Egotripping motherfuckers.

denizsi

Arcane
puke said:
what a seductive invitation to reasoned conversation, unfortuneatly i'll have to demure.

Ooooh we have a civilized pretentious faggot here. Better go back to Amazons, ape; there you will find plenty of UNGA! BUNGA! there.

It is especially funny to see someone buying into esoteric buzzwords like that for morons by morons when actual gaming jargon has long been established as pointed out by fellow posters.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
denizsi said:
spectre said:
No, that is Vanillla feature.
In original, the combat starts if either an enemy sees one of your mercs or a merc sees an enemy. There is an optional feature in 1.13 that allows you to sneak in real time even if you spot one of Deidranna's soldier.

denizsi

Arcane
Ah yes, you are correct.

I'd rather appreciate RTwP *outside* combat. Managing a large group of mercs in the same sector before engaging in combat, can easily get in the way

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom