Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This LP is rigged from the start...Hey, we made it to Vegas!

Whose side is the Courier on?

• Independent New Vegas - Yes Man backing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NCR

• Mr. House's New Vegas

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
vegas0001.jpg

So disoriented.

vegas0002.jpg

Out for a couple of days...what happened to me? Wait, I remember.

vegas0003.jpg

Raiders...led by a guy in checkered suit. Ambushed me. Knocked me unconscious .

vegas0004.jpg

Tied me up. Took my package, then shot me. But I survived. Big mistake. Looks like I owe this doc my life.

doc.jpg
: Why don't you relax a second? Get your bearings?

I drew a deep breath and nodded as I released it. That seemed to satisfy the doctor.

doc.jpg
: Let's see what the damage is. How about your name? Can you tell me your name?

vegas0005.jpg

doc.jpg
: Huh. Can't say it's what I'd have picked for you. But if that's your name, that's your name. I'm Doc Mitchell. Welcome to Goodsprings. Now I hope you don't mind, but I had to go rooting around there in your noggin to pull all the bits of lead out.

Shot me on the head. Gotta pay that son of a bitch back.

doc.jpg
: I take pride in my needlework, but you'd better tell me if I left anything out of place.

vegas0006.jpg

Looks fine to me.

doc.jpg
: Okay. No sense keeping you in bed anymore. Let's see if we can get you on your feet.

I struggled a bit, but succeeded.

doc.jpg
: Good. Why don't you walk down to the end of the room? Over by that vigor tester machine there. Take it slow now. It ain't a race. Go ahead and give it a try. We'll learn right quick if you got back all your faculties.

vegas0007.jpg

doc.jpg
: What do you say you take a seat on my couch and we go through a couple questions? See if your dogs are still barking?

alex.jpg
: There's no need for that, Doc. I'll just tell you what I'm skilled at. I wasn't always a Courier...more of a soldier for hire.

vegas0008.jpg

alex.jpg
: I'm skilled in sneaking, guns and a little bit of lockpicking.

doc.jpg
: Alright then. Before I turn you loose , I need one more thing from you. I got a form for you to fill out, so I can get a sense of your medical history. Just a formality. Ain't like I expect to find you got a family history of getting shot in the head.

vegas0009.jpg

alex.jpg
: I'm kinda reckless when in combat, but at least I'm good-natured.

The kind doc gave me the all clear and walked me to the front door.

doc.jpg
: Here. These are yours. Was all you had on you when you was brought in.

He handed over my 9mm pistol, a few bottle caps and four stimpacks. Plus a delivery order from the Mojave Express. I'm kinda surprised the raiders didn't pick me clean before killing me. They must be in a hurry.

doc.jpg
: I hope you don't mind but I gave the note a look. I thought it might help me find the next of kin. But it was just something about a platinum chip.

Yeah, that was the package all right. Not with me now.

doc.jpg
: Well, if you're heading out there. You ought to have this. They call it a Pip-boy. I grew up in one of them vaults they made before the war. We all got one. Ain't much use to me now, but you might want such a thing, after what you been through. I know what's it like, having something taken from you. And put this on, too, so the locals don't pick on you for lacking modesty. Never was much my style anyway.

He handed me one of those ridiculous Vault Jumpsuit with the number 21. I put it on out of practical need, I can't wait to ditch it for a normal set of clothes.

alex.jpg
: Thanks for patching me up, Doc.

doc.jpg
: Don't mention it. It's what I'm here for. You should talk to Sunny Smiles before you leave town. She can help you learn to fend for yourself in the desert. She'll likely be in the saloon. I reckon some of the other folks at the saloon might be able to help you out, too. And the metal fella, Victor, who pulled you out of your grave.

Metal fella?

alex.jpg
: Who was it that rescued me?

doc.jpg
: That'd be Victor. Curious fella. Sort of odd. And I don't mean 'cause he's a robot. I couldn't tell you much about him. He's real friendly, don't get me wrong. You just get the sense that ain't the whole picture. Just a feeling.

alex.jpg
: Tell me about this town.

doc.jpg
: This here's Goodsprings. named after the water we got here, just down the road to the southeast. Goodsprings Source, they call it. It's a quiet town, and that's how we like it. We don't go looking for trouble, though occasionally it sees fit to come looking for us.

alex.jpg
: Do you know anything about the man that shot me?

doc.jpg
: I didn't see him or the men with him. You might ask around town, though. Could be someone saw which way they was headed. Your best bet would be Trudy, the bartender at the saloon up ahead. If anyone saw anything, she'd know about it.

Alright, that's enough info to go around. I asked permission from the doc to help myself with some medical supplies in his house, and he was alright with it. I took a doctor's bag with me as well as some stims to treat any injuries. I spotted a broken 9mm SMG on his workbench and a chem bench. I was unable to do anything with both, my knowledge in Repairs and Science was insufficient.

vegas0011.jpg

A pity, that SMG could be useful. I holstered my own 9mm pistol, noting its poor condition and checked my Pip-boy.

vegas0010.jpg

Well. Aside from that checkered suit asshole, that's another lead. Gotta ask around town how to get Primm. Before heading out, I managed to borrow another set of clothes from the Doc's dresser. Something less ridiculous than the vault 21 suit.

vegas0012.jpg

With my dignity intact, I stepped out of the doc's house to Goodsprings.

vegas0013.jpg

So much to be done.

spekkio

Arcane
vegas0006.jpg

Where's my EXTREME Shepherd :(

You should recover data from this dead HD, for the greater good of entire Codex. :cry:

[/bitching]

Graphics look as shit as in the another LP.

:smug:

[/graphicwhore]

Phelot

Arcane
vegas0003.jpg

I can't get over how funny the guy on the right looks.

RK47

Patron
As I scanned my eyes around Goodsprings, there's this odd-shaped object that seemed out of place.

vegas0014.jpg

This must be Victor.

vegas0015.jpg

I had to suppress a chuckle a bit at this robot appearance. A metal box with a single wheel as method of movement and a TV monitor displaying a cartoon drawing of a cowboy. But hey, he saved my life.

alex.jpg
Thanks for digging me out of that grave.

victor.jpg
Don't mention it! I'm always ready to lend a helping hand to a stranger in need.

alex.jpg
How did you happen to find me?

victor.jpg
I was out for a stroll that night when I heard the commotion up at the old bone orchard. Saw what looked like like a bunch of bad eggs so I laid low. Once they'd run off, I dug you up to see if you were still kicking. Turns out, you were, so I hauled you off to the Doc right quick.

The raiders could not spot this walking TV? I'm really thankful, but something just does not add up.

alex.jpg
Do you know who those men who attacked me?

victor.jpg
Can't say that I'm familiar with the rascals. Some of the fine folks in town might be able to help you out with that.

alex.jpg
I've never seen a robot like you before.

Maybe he's a Robco's Mojave type. Never been here much.

victor.jpg
I'm a Securitron, Robco security model 2060-B. If you ever see any of my brothers, tell them Victor says howdy.

I guess that's all he can give me. Not much useful info. It's time to make a stop at the Prospector Saloon.

vegas0016.jpg

An old geezer sat in front, enjoying a tobacco chew as the afternoon passes.

alex.jpg
Hi.

pete.jpg
Howdy. What can Easy Pete do for you?

alex.jpg
Know anything about the people who attacked me?

pete.jpg
The one in fancy suit seemed to be calling the shots, that's as much as I know. Other folks in town might know more. Word of advice, though: if you ever catch up with him, watch out. The man's got cold eyes like a snake. Can't be trusted, I'd say.

alex.jpg
Thanks for the info, old man.

I stepped into the saloon and was confronted with a barking dog.

sunny.jpg
Cheyenne, stay. Don't worry, she won't bite unless I tell her to.

alex.jpg
Doc Mitchell said you could teach me how to survive in the desert.

sunny.jpg
Yeah, I guess there's a thing or two I could show you. Sounds like you need all the help you can get after what they done to you. Meet me outside, behind the saloon.

She's a sweet girl, but tough. Just like any wastelander has to be, if they want to survive out there. I checked the bar, but Trudy wasn't there.

vegas0017.jpg

I stepped out through the back door and met Sunny again. She handed me an old rifle. Varmint rifle, she called it.

sunny.jpg
Now, see those sarsaparilla bottles on that fence there? Take this and try to hit a couple of 'em.

I knocked off the bottles with ease. I got the skills after all. 5.56 ammo rifle. Not bad for long range snipes.

sunny.jpg
Well, that's a start. But I don't reckon you came to me to learn to fight empty bottles. Tell you what. I gotta go chase geckos away from our water supply anyway. Darn critters are attracted to it. Why don't you come along?

That's nice. But I gotta chase a lead. Sorry, Sunny.

alex.jpg
I think I've learned enough.

sunny.jpg
Suit yourself. Hope this helped you some. I'm heading back now. Hey, do me a favor. Trudy - she's the bartender up at the Prospector, kind of the town mom - she likes to meet newcomers. She'd be cross with me if I didn't ask you to poke your head in and say hi.

Coming and poking my head in...that sounds...huh. I need to talk to Trudy anyway. I stepped into the saloon again and caught an argument.

vegas0018.jpg

trudy.jpg
We'll keep that in mind. Now if you're not going to buy something, get out.

Sounds serious. That man's not the nice guy type. I approached Trudy.

trudy.jpg
Well, you've been causing a stir. Glad I finally got to meet you. Welcome to the Prospector Saloon.

alex.jpg
I overheard your argument. What was that all about?

trudy.jpg
It looks like our town got itself dragged into the middle of something we don't want anything to do with.

At least it wasn't me. Would feel bad if the town's threatened by Raider's cause someone saved my ass.

trudy.jpg
About a week ago, this trader, Ringo, comes into town. Survivor of an attack, he says. Bad men after him, needs a place to hide. We figured he was just in shock, so we gave him a place to lie low. We didn't actually expect anyone to come after him.

Yeah, maybe the attackers didn't get what they wanted. Like they did with me.

alex.jpg
It's odd that Cobb wasn't able to find Ringo. The town's not that big.

trudy.jpg
Cobb hasn't exactly been looking for Ringo too hard - I think he's afraid that Ringo will ambush him, which is probably true.

alex.jpg
What are you going to do?

trudy.jpg
Some of the others, like Sunny, will probably stand up for Ringo if he asks for help, which he hasn't. Personally, I hope he sneaks out of town one night and takes the Powder Gangers with him.

alex.jpg
Powder Gangers?

trudy.jpg
Chain gangs, really. The NCR brought them in from California to work on the rail lines. Problem is, it turns out that giving convicts a bunch of dynamite and blasting powder isn't the best idea. Was a big escape not too long ago. Some of them stuck together so they could make trouble. That's what we're dealing with now.

Looks like NCR's not as strong as they are in the west.

alex.jpg
Where's Ringo now?

trudy.jpg
He's holed up at the abandoned gas station up the hill.

I'll chat with him later, now to pursue my lead.

alex.jpg
I'm trying to track down the people who attacked me. Know anything about them?

trudy.jpg
Not much, other than they're a bunch of freeloaders who expected a few rounds on the house. I was able to get them to pay up, though. Of course, one of the Great Khans did knock my radio to the floor by accident, and it hasn't been working since.

alex.jpg
Did they say where they are going?

trudy.jpg
Sounded like they came in from the north through the Quarry Junction. If that's the case I can't say I blame them for not wanting to go back.

alex.jpg
Why's that?

trudy.jpg
Whole area's overrun with the kind of critters that just get mad if you shoot' em.

Critters? Just get mad would imply they don't 'get killed' easily.

trudy.jpg
Merchants avoid that whole stretch of I-15 like it's radioactive. Which it could be for all I know.

alex.jpg
So where were they headed?

trudy.jpg
I didn't hear exactly, but the leader was talking about the Strip. Fella wants to get there and avoid the 15, he'd have to go east. Take Highway 93 up.

I checked my Pip-boy's map.

vegas0019.jpg

Looks like I have to head south to Primm, then circle east down to north to hit Vegas Strip. Following my killer's path.

alex.jpg
Want me to take a look at your broken radio?

trudy.jpg
Sure. The outside looks okay, but I think something broke on the inside.

vegas0020.jpg

Thankfully, it wasn't that hard. Trudy gave me 50 caps for my trouble. I could just leave the town right now and get to Primm, but I wanted to help out Goodsprings on this Ringo trouble. Something to pay them back. I stopped at the store next door to buy some ammo.

vegas0024.jpg

Chet the owner of the store, didn't really have much to offer. I picked a box of 9mm bullets and continued to browse when something else caught my eye...

vegas0025.jpg

I traded what I could for it.

vegas0026.jpg

It's beautiful.

vegas0021.jpg

I made a stop at the gas station.

vegas0022.jpg

alex.jpg
I'm not an enemy, if that's what you're asking.

ringo.jpg
Sorry about the gun. You just caught me off guard, that's all.

alex.jpg
Did you know there's a man named Joe Cobb looking for you?

ringo.jpg
Yeah. He doesn't look very tough, though. I hear he's afraid. I'll shoot him down from one of the windows when I see him, and he's right. I'll have much bigger problem once his friends show up. There's no way I could handle them all in a gunfight.

alex.jpg
So what are you going to do?

ringo.jpg
I'm going to lay low as long as I can, assuming the town doesn't throw me to the wolves. I've got no chance against the gang on my own.

alex.jpg
Maybe I can help.

ringo.jpg
We'd just end up sharing the same grave if it's just the two of us. Now, if some of the other people in town were also on board...

alex.jpg
You don't think I can handle myself in a fight?

ringo.jpg
I was thinking of myself, actually. Who's going to watch my back while I'm watching yours?

Hah, pussy.

ringo.jpg
Start with Sunny Smiles. She's been friendlier than most around here.

Fine. I looted the petrol station for bits of food. Ringo didn't mind. A nearby locked safe was no match to my lockpicks. I found some 9mm ammo and another 9mm pistol which I could scrap for parts to repair my current gun.

I stepped out and spotted Joe Cobb leaning on a house near the outskirts of the town. Maybe I could reason with him.

vegas0023.jpg

alex.jpg
What was that you said about Ringo?

cobb.jpg
He's some trader who decided he's rather shoot than pay the toll for being in our territory. He's hiding somewhere in town. Would serve these idiots right if me and my guys shot the place up after we got payback on Ringo.

Can't have that happen to Goodsprings.

alex.jpg
This area is your territory?

cobb.jpg
It is now. Me and the rest of the guys busted out of the NCR prison east of here and took over. Now we're calling the shots.

alex.jpg
What were you in prison for?

cobb.jpg
None of your damn business.

alex.jpg
I was just curious.

cobb.jpg
Like I said, mind your own business.

There's no reasoning with this guy. I whipped out my 9mm and aimed it at his head.

vegas0027.jpg

He's heavily armored and I'm wearing a park stroller outfit. I might need an equalizer. I holstered my pistol and noticed his smug expression.

It shall be corrected shortly.

vegas0028.jpg

See you later, Cobb.

vegas0029.jpg

The 5.56 bullet hit him straight on the head. His lifeless body slumped against the wall and slid to the ground. I looted his stuff. A .357 revolver, his armored vest and a Stealthboy unit! Awesome. But I wasn't finished.

vegas0030.jpg

alex.jpg
Not so smug now are you, Cobb?

I held his body up with my left hand and sliced his head off with the knife on my right.

vegas0031.jpg

Black

Arcane
Nice pixels!
Anyway, are you going to let us faggots vote for your future choices or are you disregarding democracy, which is one of the worst systems ever?

RK47

Patron
With Cobb's death, that's one less Powder Gangers to deal with.

sunny.jpg
: I don't think Joe Cobb knew what hit him. I'm hoping you took him down for a good reason and not...for fun.

sunny.jpg
: I'm going to help Ringo take on the Powder Gangers. I might need your help.

sunny.jpg
: Say no more. I'm in. Even though Joe Cobb's dead, his friends will come after the town eventually. However, between you, me and Ringo, we aren't exactly a force to be reckoned with. A lot of people around here look up to Trudy. If you could convince Trudy to join us, some folks in town might decide to help out as well.

She mentioned Easy Pete has a stock of dynamite to help us out, if I can convince him of my explosives expertise first. Doc Mitchell can provide us with extra stims just in case. And Chet, the store owner has leather armor. I set off to convince these people.

pete.jpg
: Howdy.

alex.jpg
: I hear you've got dynamite. I would help us beat the powder gangers.

pete.jpg
: Too dangerous. Gonna kill all yourselves if I let you touch it. Better to leave it buried - safer that way.

alex.jpg
: (Explosive) How hard can it be? Just light them and throw.

pete.jpg
: Too dangerous, sorry. Blow yourselves up, blow the neighbor up, blow the whole town up.

No dice with Easy Pete. Let's try Trudy.

trudy.jpg
: So you're planning on taking on Joe Cobb's gang. It's a big risk, but I suppose you have to do what you think is right.

alex.jpg
: (Speech) Uh, we're a little outnumbered against the powder gang. Think you could help?

trudy.jpg
: All the more reason for me to sit this one out. I'll be rooting for you, though.

Dammit. I make a last ditch argument.

alex.jpg
: (Sneak) Near the saloon and store are good spots to stage an ambush - if I had the help.

trudy.jpg
: That does sound like a good plan. All right, You seem to know what you're doing, so you can count me in. Let me have a word with a few other folks and I'll see if I can't round up some more members for this militia you're creating.

I couldn't convince Chet, the store owner at all. I'm no good with barter negotiations. Doc Mitchell's OK with it.

doc.jpg
: Seems like wherever I go it's always the same. Folks just never leave each other alone. I'm not much good in a fight, with my bum leg. And my supplies are scarce. But I'll give you what I can spare.

We're ready. I meet Ringo to finalize the plans.

ringo.jpg
: So what's going on? Did Sunny agree to help us?

alex.jpg
: Sunny's with us.

ringo.jpg
: Well, I guess that means we're ready to go. Unless you think there's something else you can do?

alex.jpg
: Let's do this.

Not moment too soon, Sunny came into the petrol station to inform us of the approaching Powder Gangers. The townsfolk are holding up at the saloon. I whipped out my trusty scoped Varmint Rifle as I stepped out of the gas station.

vegas0032.jpg

I took pot shots but failed to kill any, but I'm pretty sure they'll be injured as hell.

vegas0033.jpg

Only one's dying today are gangers. I stepped closer once they hit melee range with the townsfolk, switching to the pistol, I drew a deep breath and aimed my pistol at the one swinging a baseball bat at Sunny.

vegas0034.jpg

I didn't miss.

vegas0035.jpg

After the adrenaline wore off, I felt sharper. The buzz of the kills went through my mind. The grip on my gun felt smoother, and steps felt lighter.

vegas0036.jpg

And I felt luckier.

vegas0037.jpg

vegas0038.jpg

I knew the Powder Gangers would recognize me by now as their number one enemy. But at least I repaid my debts to the kindly Doc and the rest of Goodsprings.

vegas0039.jpg

vegas0040.jpg

ringo.jpg
: I owe you a huge favor for this. Here - these are technically Crimson Caravan funds, but I know they'll understand once I explain things.

A few hundred caps. Nice.

alex.jpg
: You're welcome.

ringo.jpg
: I owe you more than that, though, so look me up at the Crimson Caravan camp up in Vegas if you ever visit.

I'm ready to head out of town south to Primm. But I felt the need to check out the Powder Gangers hideout just south east of Goodsprings.

vegas0041.jpg

It was late night when I got there.

vegas0042.jpg

Guard towers on each side. Gonna be easy pickings with the night scope.

vegas0043.jpg

I planned to infiltrate them with a spare Powder Ganger outfit I got from the fire fight.

vegas0044.jpg

Too bad it didn't work out.

vegas0045.jpg

I withdrew to the cliff overlooking the prison and debated how to proceed.

vegas0046.jpg

Silly me, of course by the front door.

vegas0047.jpg

One down.

vegas0048.jpg

Two.

vegas0049.jpg

Three.

vegas0050.jpg

Four, Five...who the hell cares?

They got the idea finally and rushed out the front gate.

vegas0051.jpg

Come and get it, shitheads.

vegas0052.jpg

A few that made it to the top got rewarded with three 9mm rounds on the head. Looks like I'm on a roll here.

vegas0053.jpg

RK47

Patron
I took some time to use stims and ate food to recover my health. Looted at least two dozen dynamites from the dead Gangers. Satisfied, I put on the guards armor for more protection and walked through the front door of the prison facility. I was greeted by a man wearing a cowboy hat. He's one of the inmates, but did not shoot at me.

vegas0054.jpg

alex.jpg
: Why are you still here?

meyer.jpg
: I'm not quite sure the kind of greeting NCR troopers will give an escaped con like myself. It's better to stay put for now.

alex.jpg
: What did you do before you ended up incarcerated?

meyer.jpg
: I was a sheriff, believe it or not, for a small town far to the west of here. The short version is that sometimes justice is a little slow, and I helped speed it up one too many times. I'm not sorry for anything I did, but I will do the time. Fair enough trade, if you ask me.

alex.jpg
: Tell me more about what happened in the prison.

meyer.jpg
: I understand that Cooke was behind it all. I kept my head down the whole time. Didn't want any part of it. I stuck around, figuring the NCR would show up and put things back the way they were. No sense in making myself look guilty, right?

alex.jpg
: Who's Cooke?

meyer.jpg
: Some kind of anti-NCR rebel. Some people just don't like being pushed around and told what to do.

Looks like he's my target.

alex.jpg
: Where can I find Cooke?

meyer.jpg
: He went north with some of the other guys. Didn't say where, didn't say why. All I know he's got some kind of score to settle with the NCR.

alex.jpg
: If he's gone, then who's in charge of the Powder Gangers?

meyer.jpg
: Right now, Eddie and his boys run the place. They've got the guns and the dynamite, so they call the shots.

alex.jpg
: Guess I'll take them out.

meyer.jpg
: Watch yourself out there.

There's three buildings inside the prison courtyard. Cell Block A & B, plus the large Admin Building. I'm guessing Eddie's there with his elite guards, I think I'll take my chances with block A & B first.

To my surprise, the inmates in block A & B are fooled by my disguise. I took advantage of it by killing a few of them in their sleep with a silenced .22 pistol.

vegas0055.jpg

Stashed in one of the footlockers is a schematic for powder charges. A simple land mine made of dynamites and sensor module. Very useful.

vegas0056.jpg

It's time to take on the admin building. I helped myself to some grenades and mines with a few assorted revolvers. The first inmate inside the Admin Building is a pushover since he brought a knife to a gunfight.

vegas0057.jpg

I ambushed one of Eddie's bodyguard while he was taking a whiz in the toilet with the silenced 22.

vegas0058.jpg

Right before the 2nd floor office, I could hear footsteps and voices. I knew it's gotta be Eddie's and his bodyguards, at least three of them inside. I pulled out the grenades I've been saving and chucked it two into the office.

vegas0059.jpg

The first one landed inside, the second grenade bounced back out, exploded in a shower of shrapnel, killing a rushing guard instantly and busted my leg. Eddie stepped out with a plasma pistol in hand, but I could tell he's barely alive.

vegas0060.jpg

I fired a bullet to his head and diverted my attention to his last bodyguard, a mean fella with spiked knuckles on his fist.

vegas0061.jpg

Time to put down this sick puppy.

vegas0062.jpg

vegas0063.jpg

And then it was all over. The Powder Ganger's finished. I drew a deep breath and congratulated myself for a job well done.

vegas0064.jpg

vegas0065.jpg

I focused on my efforts on improving my lockpicking skill to crack the Warden's safe. The Warden computer's still operational inside Eddie's office despite the earlier grenade explosion.

vegas0066.jpg

Looks like the prison guards were transferred out to the eastern camps to face the growing threat of the Legion.

vegas0067.jpg

Eventually they couldn't keep the order with less guards around. A final message was sent before the prison went down.

vegas0068.jpg

Satisfied with looting the place and ensuring the no Powder Gangers survived, I limped back to Doc Mitchell's clinic for treatment and sold most of the loot to Chet.

I've done what I could in this town. It's time to move on to Primm.

RK47

Patron
I set off from Goodsprings and arrived at Primm in the evening. A wooden roller coaster tracks was set up in that town. A distant NCR flag flies above pitched tents, signaling the presence of a small garrison.

vegas0069.jpg

vegas0070.jpg

alex.jpg
Why? What's going on in Primm?

ncr.jpg
Convicts broke out of a nearby NCR prison not too long ago. They looted the town and prowled the streets. What's more there are two tribes of raiders causing trouble in this area as well. You'd be safer heading back up to Goodpsrings.

alex.jpg
Shouldn't you be protecting the town or something?

ncr.jpg
We'd love to, but they don't fall under our jurisdiction. Even if they did we're in no shape to protect them.

alex.jpg
Why can't you?

ncr.jpg
We don't have the equipment to take out the convicts, and even if we did we need some extra hands for backup. You should talk to Lt. Hayes. He's in a tent down the road. Just stay on the west side of the overpass if you don't want to get shot.

Lt. Hayes wasn't of much help. He stressed the lack of manpower and supplies available to take on the escaped convicts. Funny, I took out the whole facility on my own. The group in town aren't technically Powder Gangers, however, they're just a bunch of convicts who didn't want to stay inside the prison or be part of the Powder Gangers.

vegas0071.jpg

The bridge to Primm is half blown in the middle, with three active mines planted. I carefully disarmed them before proceeding onwards.

vegas0072.jpg

The streets are littered with convicts who aren't shy of shooting anyone they see. Good thing it's night time and I have my scope. Satisfied with clearing the streets, I proceed to check out the Vikki & Vance casino.

vegas0073.jpg

vegas0074.jpg

alex.jpg
: Who are you?

nash.jpg
: Johnson Nash's my name. Husband to Ruby Nash. Lived in Primm going on eight years now, thick and thin. I'm a trader primarily, for what's it's worth with things they are. I also run the local Mojave Express outpost.

alex.jpg
: I'm a courier for the Mojave Express.

nash.jpg
: Well, I don't got any work right now, sorry to say.

alex.jpg
: That's OK. I lost a package I was supposed to deliver.

nash.jpg
: I'll tell you whatever I can. Do you have a delivery order you can show me. *takes a look at the note*

nash.jpg
: Oh, so you're talking about one of them packages. That job had strange written all over it. But we couldn't turn down the caps.

alex.jpg
: What's so strange about it?

nash.jpg
: That cowboy robot had us hire six couriers. Each was carrying something a little different. A pair of dice, a chess piece, that kind of stuff.

...Cowboy robot? Victor? That makes no sense.

nash.jpg
: Last word I had from the office, it looked like payment had been received for the other five jobs. Guess it was just your chip that didn't make it.

All six. From one source. And I was the only who got hit. Was I unlucky or was that package rigged from the start?

alex.jpg
: Some men stole my package. A man in checkered suit and some thugs. Did they pass this way?

nash.jpg
: Well, now that you mention it, a few nights back one of the townies was out scavenging for supplies. He said he saw a fella with a daisy suit come through with some of them Great Khan misfits. They was talking about a chip.

alex.jpg
: One of those men shot me. I need to know the best way to get to them.

nash.jpg
: Well for that your best bet is going to be talking to Deputy Beagle. Since they came to town he was keeping a good bit of notes on them, and he was slinking around Bison Steve when your pretty boy friend came through. He may have heard where they were going.

Gonna have to rescue Deputy Beagle from the convicts holed up in Bison Steve then. I noticed there's another cowboy hat wearing robot inside the casino, calling itself Primm Slim.

vegas0075.jpg

Heh. I declined his tour of Vikki and Vance, supposedly an outlaw celebrity couple. There are more important things to do.

I stepped out and checked the Mojave Express building next to the casino and found a damaged robot.

vegas0076.jpg

I can't jury rig the parts, but if I can find the exact components to replace the damaged ones, I'm sure I can restore it.

vegas0077.jpg

I've got most of the parts except for the scrap electronics. Maybe Nash got some for sale.

alex.jpg
: I have some questions about your robot.

nash.jpg
: That beat up old thing? What do you want to know?

alex.jpg
: Where did it come from?

nash.jpg
: A courier dropped it off a couple months back. I got it working for a little while, but the darn thing pooped out. I haven't been able to get it up and running again. I was hoping to use it for some courier work, but that ain't gonna happen.

alex.jpg
: Mind if I fix it?

nash.jpg
: You're welcome to try. It's yours if you can get it working.

vegas0078.jpg

Looks like I got all the parts. Time to repair it.

vegas0079.jpg

That did the trick. Looks like a nice portable luggage carrier. Its weaponry being a simple laser and electric shock at close range.

I made sure my Varmint rifle and 9mm pistol is in tip top condition before checking out Bison Steve. What I immediately noticed when I stepped out is the increased Pip-boy censor range. It seems the robot carries a powerful sensor, enabling me to spot targets behind buildings even. I spotted a few convicts camping on top of the coaster tracks and sniped them with ease.

vegas0080.jpg

I debated of going through the front door, but decided to check for side entrances.

vegas0081.jpg

Managed to find one at the second floor after climbing up the coaster tracks. The hotel is full of long corridors and blind corners. Perfect for land mine traps plus pistol ambushes at close quarters.

vegas0082.jpg

I killed my first convict like that. His buddy rushed forward after hearing the explosion and exposed himself to a 9mm headshot.

vegas0083.jpg

The third one was gunned down as I popped out for a quick shot from the corner.

vegas0084.jpg

I told the bot to wait at the door, the thing has a bad habit of playing a bad military tune when he's about to engage a target. Fucking annoying. I crept forward to into a hotel room when I noticed a guard running past the door to check on the dead bodies.

vegas0085.jpg

He joined his buddies on the floor. That's four convicts down. :smug:

vegas0086.jpg

There's no stopping me, it seems. I went down to the staircase and continued with the same procedure. Land mines and powder charges when mines are unavailable. I need to start making powder charges out of these dynamites quick. They're so useful.

Two tangos down in a hail of explosions followed with a third death by a close range 9mm fire.

vegas0087.jpg

Just like that.

vegas0088.jpg

Two snipes later and the whole hotel is cleared.

vegas0089.jpg

alex2.jpg
You must be Deputy Beagle.

beagle.jpg
Why, yes I am. It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm in a bit of predicament here. I'd be most appreciative if you'd set me free.

I set him free and met him outside the hotel.

beagle.jpg
That was quite an adventure. We taught those convicts a thing or two, didn't we?

:retarded: WE? You mean ME?

beagle.jpg
Breaking myself out of a hostage situation - not to diminish your role in it, of course - but it was quite thrilling.

Whatever you say, man.

beagle.jpg
Problem is, there's still no law in Primm. What are we to do next time ruffians menace us and hold us hostage?

Are you that helpless?!

alex2.jpg
What are you talking about? You're the sheriff now!

beagle.jpg
Oh no! I'm just the deputy. And I can't be a deputy without a sheriff. It's called chain of command!

Why can't you be a sheriff and take a goddamn deputy then? ANAL!

alex2.jpg
Sigh, so what are the qualifications for a sheriff?

beagle.jpg
it should be someone brave like you, but more of a homebody. Someone who'll settle down and watch over us.

Someone like Rance? :smug:

beagle.jpg
I heard the Powder Gangers talking about someone in the prison named Meyers who has some experience as a sheriff. He may be a good choice.

Hmmm. That's not a bad pick, I met him recently.

beagle.jpg
Also with the NCR close by, you may be able to get them to take over the town. Not sure why they haven't helped out already.

alex2.jpg
I'll see what I can do. But first, tell me about the man in checkered suit who came through here!

beagle.jpg
I was sku... er, performing recon, gathering info on some of the Powder Gangers, when some Great Khans arrived with your friend in the suit. They were talking about some delivery they took from a courier, I assume that was you. They said they'd be heading through Nipton to Novac to meet a contact there.

Hmm. Alright. That's quite some distance to the east of here. But before we leave, let's help Primm get a proper sheriff, shall we? I decided to ask Nash for a second opinion.

nash.jpg
Your guess is as good as mine. I heard of one fella who got himself locked in that NCR jailhouse up I-15. Maybe that ain't the best credentials, but a sheriff's a sheriff. I imagine the NCR would be able to bring some law in the town, too. But from what I seen they barely got the firepower to protect themselves.

alex2.jpg
What about Primm Slim? Could he be sheriff?

nash.jpg
Well I guess I never thought of that. I guess he could be sheriff, if you think he could be programmed for it.

Hmmm. I could program Slimm, my science is a little bit lacking, but with a help of a programming magazine I have, or a little components swap might be in order if I lack the technical expertise.

vegas0090.jpg

So the options include:
- Meyers, the Sheriff in the prison. He's probably a hard man who thinks justice in the wasteland is about shooting heads off right away. It'll keep Primm safe, but who knows what'll happen.

OR

- A NCR backed sheriff, which will result in Primm being a part of NCR controlled territory.

OR

- Reprogram Primm Slim as a Sheriff Bot. Sounds funky, but might work.

5 Votes Within 2 hours will count. Majority wins. Go ahead!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
*Sees character development in NV*

Well, it's still forced, but at least it's not borderline stupid as in FO3.

RK47

Patron
Meyers may be a hard man, but he knows how to deliver justice. He should be the right man for the job. I don't like the idea of forcing Primm into NCR rulership anyway.

vegas0091.jpg

meyer.jpg
: Assuming an NCR pardon comes with the job - and it had better - I'll also need to be able to do things my own way. Due process has its place, but sometimes it's just a waste of time. I'll need to know that I'm not going to end up right back in prison.

alex2.jpg
: You have a deal.

meyer.jpg
: Alright, then. Guess I'll just make a quiet exit - no need for a goodbye party or anything.

alex2.jpg
: Where should I go to get you a pardon?

meyer.jpg
: There's a NCR camp down on the southern border of Nevada. Camp Mojave I think, try to find someone of authority there.

vegas0092.jpg

I arrived at Mojave at nightfall. There's a huge statue of two troopers shaking hand. Symbolic of the alliance between Rangers and NCR troops I guess, as the plaque said.

vegas0093.jpg

Hmm. Not 'allied'. But absorbed.

vegas0094.jpg

They even installed two spotlights to shine of the statues at night. Heh. Dick-waving to the desert.

vegas0095.jpg

I head down to the HQ and chat with the clerk inside. He looks important enough.

major.jpg
: Caravan, citizen, pilgrim, or...?

alex2.jpg
: Courier.

major.jpg
: Just need something for the log book, keeping tabs on traffic through the Outpost...although mostly just in, not out these days.

alex2.jpg
: I'd like to talk to you about Primm.

major.jpg
: Primm? Hayes' unit is stationed up there, were having problems with some of the NCRCF convicts. What can I help you with?

alex2.jpg
: One of the convicts from NCRCF is looking for a pardon so he can protect Primm.

major.jpg
: One of the Powder Gangers? They've been nothing but trouble for us - why would we want one of them anywhere in an official capacity?

alex2.jpg
: (Speech) Come on, he's just a convict. How bad could he be?

major.jpg
: I don't think so. I'm not going to put my word on the line for some ransom convict.

These NCR types are always the 'stick to the law' types, unless you start talking in caps..

alex2.jpg
: Do you think I could 'buy' a pardon for 200 caps?

His eyes changed immediately.

major.jpg
: Well, having a sheriff who was a convict is better than no sheriff at all..and if he has the qualifications...all right, hand it over.

He counted the caps before pocketing it quietly. The NCR might be strong, but it's still a corrupt outfit. The major signed the pardon papers and handed it to me. I went to check the bartender for the latest gossip or rumors.

lacey.jpg
: New face in the Outpost, must've come from the North. So - what'll you have?

alex2.jpg
: Any work around here?

lacey.jpg
: Might check with Jackson in the main building. Or Ghost up on the roof above, but watch out, she's... well, she's kind of a bitch. Don't tell her I said that, though. Might take a bullet some night when I'm going to the latrine.

I scanned the bar and saw nothing but tired looking troops, except for one patron seated with a few empty whiskey bottles.

vegas0096.jpg

We made eye contact.

cass.jpg
: Looking for trouble?

alex2.jpg
: No, only looking around.

cass.jpg
: Well, keep those eyes up and turning - or I'll set 'em spinning. Got no time for gawkers... or anyone for something I ain't selling.

alex2.jpg
: How about a drink instead?

cass.jpg
: How about a drink? How about a couple, is what you mean. Drinking to forget, and it's only getting me mad instead. Whiskey always gets my temper up - now more than ever.

Gawd. She won't stop talking.

cass.jpg
: Drinking used to cause all sorts of trouble back West - before I punched enough people, that is, and they learned to lay low when the whiskey hit.

alex2.jpg
: What are you trying to forget?

cass.jpg
: Lost my caravan heading north, the driver burned to ash - and they didn't even take the cargo, they just burned that, too.

alex2.jpg
: Doesn't sound like raiders.

cass.jpg
: My guess is legion, they're trying to cut NCR's supply line... and the Mojave outpost is proof. Got us locked up tighter than a New Vegas virgin. No caravans in, out, and just try arguing with Jackson about it. "Roads aren't safe, " he says. No shit, you washed-out old fuckup, I didn't need a Brotherhood scribe to tell me that.

alex2.jpg
: What are you going to do?

cass.jpg
: Jackson won't let me head north, it's not safe... and even though my caravan's gone, my caravan papers are keeping me here. So if you come for work, my advice? go find the Crimson Caravan branch, south of Vegas. They can help you out.

Well...that's it, I guess. What a sharp tongued woman. I stepped out of the bar and head to the rooftop where this Ranger Ghost is posted at.

ghost.jpg
: Hnh - didn't even hear you come up the ramp. You don't broadcast your movements. I like that. You a courier? If so, this might be your lucky day... if you don't mind walking a bit and your eyes are good.

alex2.jpg
: Depends on the work.

ghost.jpg
: I think there's trouble in Nipton - no traffic from there on the roads, and while I can explain that away, the smoke from the town I can't. I'm sure it's been hit - what I need to know is if they survived it. Might be Powder Gangers with all that smoke in the air. If there's anybody left, they'd be in the town hall. Go there, check it out, let me know what you find.

alex2.jpg
: If I pass through there, I'll check it out.

ghost.jpg
: Better than nothing. But close to it. Listen, I don't want you getting killed for this, so if you head there and run into trouble, I'm asking for eyes and ears, not your life. All right?

Fine. I accepted the job and another one from Ranger Jackson. His is nothing special. He wants me to kill some giant ant critters littering the highway out of Mojave Outpost. Not much of a problem. He gave me a pile of armor piercing 5.56 ammo and a few stims as a reward. I head back to Primm to hand over the pardon to Meyers.

meyer.jpg
: Thanks for getting me that pardon. Me and the boys will take good care of Primm, don't you worry.

I went to the Vikki and Vance's to check out on the townsfolk reactions to the news. Beagle didn't look too happy.

beagle.jpg
: Well, if it isn't the "lawbringer."

alex2.jpg
: What's your problem now?

beagle.jpg
: My problem is that I'm no longer a deputy. I'm just a Beagle now. Apparently two and a half months of law enforcement experience doesn't count for anything. The new regime is just that: all new. He's a good sheriff but a hard man. he doesn't abide by anyone slinking by the rules. I guess there won't be any trouble, but the man's law is hard.

nash.jpg
: Heard it was you brought the law back to Primm, youngster. Hat's off to you.

alex2.jpg
: How's Primm these days?

nash.jpg
: Got a new sheriff, as you know. Meyers's abit rougher hewn than I might've liked, but he seems like a good sort. So far, so good.

Well. That settles Primm's troubles. I can move on to Novac, making a short stop to check on trouble at Nipton as Ranger Ghost requested.

vegas0097.jpg

SoupNazi

Major Knight is cool. If you have the Confirmed Bachelor perk, he'll repair shit for you up to 100% for free. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom