Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

crazy_dave

Educated
Omar Boulon, editor at Canard PC, shared his first impressions on the game. The full review will come out at the beginning of November and will be much more detailed, but it's still a very interesting read, especially given the mag's not enthusiastic attitude towards Fallout 3.

My King is back and he's guiding my life.

Of course, it still suffers from Bethesda's crappy UI (with an upgrade to NPC managing, but shortcuts for the minimap or food, drugs would have been nice), and there are some serious and incomprehensible drops from 120 to 20 FPS, but, seriously, who gives a fuck?

Because if you're not too tight-assed and have accepted the first-person view (and realtime/FPS/VATS crappy slowmo), if you just embrace what Fallout's real soul is - a meticulous study of a humanity in crisis served by surprising situations, clever dialogue and well-thought role-playing games mechanics - then we're as close to a Fallout 3 as we could be.

The overall tone, even with Wild Wasteland, reminds more of Fallout 1 than Fallout 2. It's umbelievably dark. It's not desperate, but if you're really trying to screw everything and everyone, it could be..

It's quite a political game, it's mainly focused on one thing, organization of small human groups, and how their opinions and ideologies clash, are crushed or end up rotting and losing what used to be important, leaving only groups of devastated individuals.

Everyone has something to say.
Everyone has a story.

There's a geography, an economy, and by chatting with people, gathering information, you begin to see how everything is linked: Production means, military stakes, every politic will.

Places are not thrown randomly on the map : they're taken from history (pre-war period), geography (natural resources, barriers, natural strongholds), from both (no man's land lines between factions) or justified by necessity. (Slums placed in concentric circles around New Vegas' Strip).

In fact, it seems so natural than after seven or eight hours, I nearly had a panic attack because of the incredible size of the game world, its density and details.
It may not actually be bigger than Bethesda's Fallout, but it's so well-build, and natural, than it feels ten thousands times bigger.

The thing is, there's no fucking travels in shitty subway corridors, no more unclimbable pile of trash, and nearly no caves only there to kill the same monsters ten times (I saw a cavern by monster race always ended by a Legendary whatsisname, especially the Legendary Deathclaw from which a keep a fond memory, kisses to you if you read me. Moreover, they always have a nice gift awarding your adventurer skills).
On the other hand, you have some plateaux or canyons accessible by not so obvious paths, offering mind-blowing possibilities, and oftenly a town, an original place to explore, or high-level equipment.

All characters, NPCs or companions, are believable and well-rounded.
Very few characters or all white or all black. By talking with them, you understand their motives, their positions and their actions.
The most despicable ones are the most memorable : Vulves Inculta, the Desert Fox, Caesar's Lieutenant, is fascinating when he explains the precept which rules his life, and those of his slaves and troops.
A walking nightmare in the name of morality...

The quests, living up to Fallout's standards, are multi-layered, and can be resolved by different means. Well, except all the "Kill those beasts here, here and there" we get when we enter some hideout without being known or recognized. And thank god, it's frankly better than the "Oh, hello, we never met, you may occasionnaly rape children with legs torn from cute puppies, but you like the kind of guy I need to sky on this bad guy in a fancy suit who wants to blow up our town".

Besides, you can use enemy clothes as disguise to accomplish quests on their territory, even when in war against them. But some individuals (sentinels, scouts, spies) can spot you, blackmail you, sell you out or lie and protect you if you're talented enough. I always have a khan outfit on me, or a load of drugs to pass as a dealer.
But don't think you can work with everyone, the most interesting quests need you to be deep into a faction and, of course, to share their enemies.
You can work for some rivals though, if you're careful and organized... To prove an agreement between two factions to crush physically and economically their rivals, I had to work for them and stop just before acting effectively in order to gather enough proof.

The game is entirely buit upon the Holy Canon of Fallout : you won't find any reference to the bethesdian blasphemy and every one has a story, a parent or anything related to the Hub, Redding, Modoc or Reno. There even is some old friends or their descendants.

Everything is subtile, elegant and well written.
If a quest seems rubbish, you may have missed a part of it... It happened to me more than once.
You kill an endless stream of monsters, learn rubbish information, do your report and leave, disappointed.
But there is this door over there, you can't open it, because you'd need 75% in Lockpick and it's only the beginning... You'll come back later.
You come back, and blam! You had missed a third of the quest, and now it shows its real value and originality.

Last thing : combat seems actually good. It's not such a pain in the ass anymore. Big and bad monsters are rare and really hard to beat.
Playing in first person with the Iron Sight is nice.
The main problems with VATS are corrected, it's finally possible to shoot from afar if you're equipped and leveled enough, but melee still is very efficient.
And with companions, it's getting fun.

An example : I have with me a small robot which spot enemies from a distance and warn me. But I also have a friend with a sniper rifle shooting targets I choose with my goggles or the Iron Sight.
One I bought the "Anti Material Rifle" and gave it to my sniper buddy, the Bozar's cousin, we found a nice tactic : the robot spot an enemy, I mark the target, the camping coward kills it.
Another one, I leave them behind, the sniper shoots at will, and I slow the big ones with my assault rifle or some melee ass-kicking. (melee fighters is a viable choice and interesting to make)

So it seems relatively tactic. And it's one amongts many... Other NPCs, other tactics. There's a girl who can hit unbelievably hard bare-handed, and there are a bunch of non-lethal weapons (melee, flashballs) and combat is a little bit more dynamic, they may have added some animation too.

And to conclude:
It's so good I'm afraid to finish it, as I was for Fallout 1 and 2...
Well, when it happens, I'll start again.

PS: No crashes for me after 45 hours, and some very rare script bugs. (one which spoiled a minor quest about cows slaughtered with a gatling) PC Version. Of course.

Thanks to Linvite for spotting this and Flyn for the English translation!

Well guys, I "borrowed" the review from NMA (in the true spirit of Codex), when I read it I coudn't believe it... Is it possible it's good as the review says? My oldfag spent heart cannot stand another dissapointment... (If we exclude the first person perspective, and bethesda engine, and real time...)

Exmit

Scholar
Fallout will never be the same for me without the turn combat.

The combat mechanics in FO1 ,2 defined the whole game , yes you can write a good story with an FPS, but all stats and their meaning of % evolves around the combat.
That's why a cRPG cannot be a FPS where mouse skills depends on how the combat will end. It's supposed to be like the paper one , with dice rolls. That's why Fallouts and all infinity engine games are good RPGs.

Saying all that i will enjoy New Vegas , because i like FPSes , but that doesn't mean i treat it the same as old Fallouts.

It's good for what it is fits perfect here.

Sounds promising to be honest, though the lack of turn based combat sucks. I'm sure they could make real time work somewhat acceptable, but if its like fallout 3 where vats is godmode and without you do about zero damage even with headshots, well thats painful.

Hoping they did something about item durability and items falling apart in minutes.

DefJam101

Arcane
crazy_dave said:
Because if you're not too tight-assed and have accepted the first-person view (and realtime/FPS/VATS crappy slowmo), if you just embrace what Fallout's real soul is - a meticulous study of a humanity in crisis served by surprising situations, clever dialogue and well-thought role-playing games mechanics - then we're as close to a Fallout 3 as we could be.
:/
The overall tone, even with Wild Wasteland, reminds more of Fallout 1 than Fallout 2. It's unbelievably dark.
Kinda doubt this; can anyone attest to NV's grimdarkness?

Sad thing is thanks to the shitty job they did on the 360, a lot of the people who play NV on that console will probably never get to experience some of this stuff or see what a difference a few changes can make. They'll have a game ruined, or get frozen out and just declare it all 'gay' and go back to Fallout 3.

Which leads to Bethesda deciding they had it right the first time (why listen to the PC crowd).

DefJam101 said:
crazy_dave said:

I agree with him. Dunno why some people think the series is about isometric view, turn-based combat.

crazy_dave

Educated
DefJam101 said:
crazy_dave said:

Dude, he means REAL "as it shoud be" fallout 3, not bethcrap fallout 3.

Let's be real guys, if the industry doesn't completley fail, and "restarts" unfortunatley we'll very probably never see a turn based title... Except the indie devs and small studious... But question is, do they have resources and manpower to deliver? Let's hope Age of Decadence will deliver! :)

@genma I agree with your toughts... Unfortunatley, bethesda will "get it right"... :roll: :smug:

Exmit

Scholar
Clockwork Knight said:
turn-based combat.

i click mouse fast and kill you faster than me is not an RPG.

it doesn't have to be turn-based . Baldur's gate was not turn based.

The combat mechanics promotes mouse skills and shitty iwin VATS.

FeelTheRads said:
Dunno why some people think the series is about isometric view, turn-based combat.

Indeed! After all Fallout 1 & 2 were first-person real-time!

Yeah, FO3 would be a true sequel deserving of the name if only it was isometric and turn based and-

Dude, I kinda like your "raaaar spite hate crush aspie rage" mode / character, but it doesn't need to be on all the time.

and massive lol if you played the games for the mechanics.

Exmit

Scholar
Clockwork Knight said:
FeelTheRads said:
and massive lol if you played the games for the mechanics.

Mechanics are 50% of what made old Fallouts godlike the rest 50% was the story , world , 'the background' etc.

In new vegas we get this 50% of the good story, world , 'the background' , but without the foundations - mechanics , the other 50%.

DefJam101

Arcane
crazy_dave said:
DefJam101 said:
crazy_dave said:

Dude, he means REAL "as it shoud be" fallout 3, not bethcrap fallout 3.
Doh, I read it wrong.

Exmit

Scholar
Clockwork Knight said:
Those 50% ratings are yours, not mine. I don't really care.

Yea for you its 99% and 1% mechanics NEWFAG :smug:

People like you are the cause of the RPG decline

And here I was thinking the decline was about stats not mattering, massive linearity, terrible story / dialogue, fake choices and focus on epicness. It was really just about games not being isometric!

Whodathunk, FO3 would be suddenly fixed if only it was turn based and isometric.

Exmit

Scholar
Clockwork Knight said:
And here I was thinking the decline was about stats not mattering, massive linearity, terrible story / dialogue, fake choices and focus on epicness. It was really just about games not being isometric!

Whodathunk
:retarded:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
It's not true, sadly, because the game is shit.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The overall tone, even with Wild Wasteland, reminds more of Fallout 1 than Fallout 2.
This, all by itself, has raised my interest in NV from "meh, one of these days" to "I WANT IT NOW!" If this is really true...

And I agree with CK. Yes, it would be nice if FO3 was isometric and TB, if Van Buren had been released... it also would've been nice if Torn and Jefferson had been released, and if FO2 had less lulz, and if FOT was a better game overall... but whatever dude. If NV manages to recreate be a good first-person game that successfully recreate the Fallout tone, with good writing and good quests, what more would you really want?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DefJam101 said:

Doesn't feel dark at all to me. Then again, I never thought Fallout 1 was all that dark to begin with.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Exmit said:
i click mouse fast and kill you faster than me is not an RPG.

Remove "fast" and you get fallout 1. So what beth/obsidian need to implement is reloading after every shot fired and Fallout 3/NV will reach the glory of its predecessors. :smug:

I.C. Wiener

Educated
DefJam101 said:
I haven't gotten to any abandoned vaults yet, but so far it's brighter and cheerier than FO3. The cowboy elements are played up to yosemite sam levels as well as the ridiculous las vegas glamorization/frank sinatra fixation everyone was expecting.

Combat was never fallout 1/2's strong point. It worked, it was fairly enjoyable, but it was not at all a very good or balanced combat system. Even if NV's combat sucks it will be good if everything else about it is right.

Morkar Left

I expect an enjoyable game with good writing and some medium shooting fun. But from the review that sounds to good to be true :yikes:

I have the CE preordered now without having upgraded my pc, just in case. If the demo is shit I can stilll resell the CE unpackaged.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom