Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Official Gothic 4: Arcania thread

jaylittle

Scholar
Let's get this party started. So this steaming pile of crap was supposed to be released in North America, well, today. It hasn't been due to a delay by JoWood in shipping retail copies to stores. Sad. Steam went along with it. Fucking idiots. Luckily (or unluckily depending upon your POV) Gamers Gate will still allow you to purchase it.

So I'm downloading now. I fully anticipate it will suck especially if it is anything like the mess that was Gothic 3. Anybody have any predictions on how much I'll like it and hate it? Here are my system specs:

Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz
4 gigs of RAM
Windows 7 x64
Nvidia Geforce 260M

I hear it's supposed to run like shit. Haven't played the demo but this wouldn't surprise me given my experience with Gothic 3. Still I had to buy this. This will pretty much tell me for sure who fucked up the Gothic series. Was it the developers or was it JoWood? The devs have put out a pretty decent game, Risen, since the split and this is what JoWood is putting out. Risen runs well on adequate hardware whereas Gothic 4 is rumored to run like shit much like G3.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Brodawgz, I'm currently... acquiring this. Maybe I'll even manage a review this month 'cause I've been a little busy lately.

Pray that I don't change into another BLOBERT after playing this shit :salute:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This will pretty much tell me for sure who fucked up the Gothic series. Was it the developers or was it JoWood?

You obviously never played Forsaken Gods. You'd know the answer to this.

Oh and Gothic 3 did not suck. It was overambitious for 2006 and buggy as fuck and lacked clear focus, but with the CP it remains one of the best sandbox games ever.

jaylittle

Scholar
commie said:
You obviously never played Forsaken Gods. You'd know the answer to this.
No I never did play that one. I skipped it on purpose. However that's the same engine as G3, which frankly is a bit of a lost cause.
Oh and Gothic 3 did not suck. It was overambitious for 2006 and buggy as fuck and lacked clear focus, but with the CP it remains one of the best sandbox games ever.
Wrong. And because this is codex I'm not going to back that up with anything more than the accusation that you are a fag... or something :)

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Even if it sucks horribly it'll just make TW2 and New Vegas look better in comparison and so I'll just enjoy them more. Win-win.

jaylittle

Scholar
Yeah I got TW2 pre-ordered overseas from amazon.de right now. So I'm looking forward to that one next month (around 11/2) when it gets here.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
jaylittle said:
Yeah I got TW2 pre-ordered overseas from amazon.de right now. So I'm looking forward to that one next month (around 11/2) when it gets here.
Let me guess. You're polish.

jaylittle

Scholar
Descent wise... yep. However I was born, raised and currently live in the US :)

jaylittle

Scholar
Installing now. I hope to give you real first impressions within a few hours.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Haha, wow. It's even worse than I expected. Makes Gothic 3 look like a masterpiece.

jaylittle

Scholar
Holy fuck this game runs like shit. Wow. I don't even know what to say. And that was after the performance hotfix they immediately installed after I set it up.

jaylittle

Scholar
It now appears that Gamers Gate got the smackdown from JoWood and is no longer selling the game to North American buyers. Whoops. I almost wish I had missed the window now. The game is just that unplayably bad.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Someone needs to take one for the team and do a damn LP. I certainly am not buying this shit game, would like to see a LP though.

Ancient

Erudite
Stereotypical Villain said:
I WILL LP IT!

:smug:

Prepare for the 2010 version of Prisoner of the Ice Mage.

Do it in video format.

And this game is abomination :M

Angthoron

Arcane
I tried the demo. Risen's world looks better. Much better. Water looks like something from 2004 /graphics whore.

Voice acting is cringeworthy, dialogue is awful, structuring is horrid and the actual writing is terrible. UI is nice though.

Overall, the demo is horrifying. I would imagine the full game is just as awesome but I would rather JoWood goes the way of the dodo than found my opinion on full-game facts.

Oh yes, and AI is just as awful as the video going around shows. As soon as they charge the power attack, they're basically dead.

Micmu

Magister
jaylittle said:
It now appears that Gamers Gate got the smackdown from JoWood and is no longer selling the game to North American buyers. Whoops. I almost wish I had missed the window now. The game is just that unplayably bad.
Yet you KNEW it is going to be Dungeon Lords bad and you just gave them your money...

kids these days :?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I won the game in a contest. Wonder if they sent it yet. Probably not. CBA going to my mailbox.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom