Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shogo: Mobile Armor Division

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm just replaying this game and would like to ask if other Codexers played it too. Last time I played it, about 10 years ago, I haven't finished this game if I remember correctly but I didn't get the story either because I didn't understand English at all. The only annoying thing are anime charaters, they're horrible :| Oh, and the intro, WITH FUCKING JPOP :x

shogomad_790screen004.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Volrath said:
One of the best FPSes of all time.

Yup. And the levels where you are out of the mech were tough as shit. Hordes of enemies armed to the teeth with assault rifles and scarce medkits. Good times.

CrimHead

Scholar
Looks cool, but anyone mind explaining what's so good about it?

catfood

AGAIN
You know what other robot game was also cool? Future Cop. An action game where you control a vehicle that can transform into either a walking robot or a hover craft has to be good. The control was a bit so-so especially in hover mode but even so I remember I had good fun with it.

Does anyone remember Slave Zero? It was another game with a giant mech but I only played a demo so I don't remember much about it except the fact that you could jump from rooftops to rooftops.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Volrath said:

Also I hoped that the new Front Mission Evolved would be something like Shogo but it failed in every element.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I finished it.

Volrath said:
No. I will take Blood, Heretic, Doom and Unreal over it any day.

RatFink

Educated
i always found the anime style was more like..tongue in cheek..

finished it twice..and i still have no idea what the game was about...

but that doesnt really matter! it is good fun! und bloody as fuck, when you are on your feet!

on foot: cool weapons, very difficult and bloody.

in your mech: BIG FUCKIN GUNS but kinda easy.

also awesome: splattering footsoldiers with your mech!

Paperclip

Liturgist
catfood said:
Does anyone remember Slave Zero? It was another game with a giant mech but I only played a demo so I don't remember much about it except the fact that you could jump from rooftops to rooftops.

I'm about to mentioned it. Finished the game but I think it's not that memorable.

Hmm, looks like something fun to check out.

Anyone played Recoil? Fun tank game from around the same time. Tons of awesome weapons, excellent area design with lots of secrets (many of them requiring you to combine Physics! with destructible terrain and other nifty stuff). Tank gains ability to transform into boat/hovercraft/submarine during the game in a very Metroid-like fashion. Game is a bit on the easy side once you employ modern WASD circle strafing skills (though it takes a lot of skill, most weapons aren't hit scan and if you are traveling at a high speed you have to offset your aim to compensate your velocity). Plot isn't really the point but its a decently done near-future robots take over and you fuck them up. Big battles are awesome with crap tons of missiles and ammunition flying everywhere. Also, the tether guided nuclear missile was so awesome that UT had to rip it off.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I still hope for a SHOGO 2 with good graphics, better story and improved gameplay. SHOGO is rather mediocre but it's an old favourite.

You can also hear the theme song in the secret Monolith room near the end of F.E.A.R.

Tails

Arbiter
Shogo is overall a good game, worth playing and it hand some cool tracks and C&C :P
Overweight Manatee said:
Anyone played Recoil?
Damn, I've played demo version of this game long time ago! Thanks for reminding.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Darth Roxor said:
DraQ said:
- Animu mecha rather than mecha pretending to be somewhat realistic

Oh yeah? Fuck you. In games like this, rule of cool > realism.
Are you trying to say that animu mecha are more cool than Battletech mecha?

DraQ said:
+ It doesn't pretend that giant mecha aren't a retarded concept.

DraQ

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
DraQ said:

Oh yeah? Fuck you. In games like this, rule of cool > realism.
Except when rule of cool and realism happen to lay on the same side. Barring disappointing, pointless and stupid vehicular transformation nobody uses anyway, mecha parts of Shogo play exactly the same as traditional FPS parts - take away occasional footsoldiers and cars, resize windows textures on the buildings and there would be nothing hinting that you are not running around on foot, while I imagine that mechas are, afterall, supposed to be inherently cooler than that.

Shit, you can even swim around as a mecha in several places. :decline:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
As far as I remember, C&C in Shogo is basically one choice that only changes a conversation, and another choice that changes the immediate next 3 levels and end boss. You can just save before after you saw one end and then redo the whole level (with enemies with a different colour) then see the other stuff. Fun but not exactly a good exemple of C&C. Maybe it keeps being mentionned because Shogo is an FPS?

Also:

dreadnought.jpg

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
+ Pretty good FPS overall
+ C&C
+ decent story

Agreed on all counts, but since the negative never bothered me I love the game. It's not my favorite but it's great. Surprisingly good voice acting too. And animu mecha are great fun, they control slightly differently from when you're on foot and the feeling in crushing those ant-sized humans is pure :smug: . The sections on foot are :rage: hard though.

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
I played the hell out of Shogo when I had it. I loved spamming the multimissle launcher and watching everything in front of me exploding.

I also played Slave Zero a few times. You were a resistance fighter who had himself permanently wired into a giant cyborg body to free the planet. I don't remember too much, save it tried to instill a sense of scale with you being bigger than just about everything else. You could even pick up soldiers, civilians, cars and such and throw them at things, (organics went splat quite nicely) Also I remember the final boss being bigger than you, but thats about it. I think I enjoyed it for a while, then found something better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom