Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Winter voices (new indie turn based rpg)

Mortmal

Arcane
Here it is, a french turn based rpg, translated in the inferior language: english.

http://www.wintervoices.com/

"Winter Voices is the first Role-Playing Game Series on PC and Mac, available in 7 downloadable episodes at 5€ each. Each new episode, made available every 7 days, is a decisive narrative step towards resolving the adventure.
The game alternates real-time phases for dialog, world exploration and turn-based combat that requires reflection and strategy, with a choice of more than 100 skills for a unique confrontation with your destiny.
In this innovative game experience, each week and up until the end of the first season; you are provided with new elements in your character's adventure
Totally immersed in Three-River Principality, you incarnate a fragile and vulnerable female character, with many hidden resources currently damaged by a troubling past. She is seeking answers.
Above and beyond the adventurous journey to the heart of Winter, your aim is to fight the character's personal demons and thus save her from herself."

village2.jpg

seid.jpg

talents.jpg

combat1.jpg

Isnt it heaven,? You even play a female character ,thats fulfilling your deep transgender dreams.

Black Cat

Magister
I really like the art style, and the artwork in the website is really nice. The music on their website is also pretty good. The plot seems weird for this type of game but that's a relief since military settings bore me to tears.

So colour me interested. Thank you for bringing this one up.

Beyondthepillars, a startup creating digital game worlds and founded in Paris in late 2008, has designed a massively multiplayer online game (MMOG) that is multifaceted, full-web and cloud-powered.

What the fuck does that mean ? I guess I'll have to read the french version...

Startup créatrice d'univers ludiques numériques, fondée à Paris fin 2008, Beyondthepillars conçoit un jeu massivement multi-joueurs en ligne (MMOG), multi-facettes, full web et cloud-powered.

:rage:

Achilles

Arcane
Not bad, I'll keep it in mind until the complete version is available.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
One feature is rather intriguing. In an interview I've read, they claimed gameplay would be more defensive than aggressive. As I understand it, your goal won't be to kill foes, but rather to avoid too much damage, stay alive for X turns or reach a point on the tactical map. It can lead to new cool tricks, but it also can hide artsy faggotry.

That + MMO + episodic content = wait and see.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'd wait until pirated full version would be available. 35 e for an indie game is too much.

It looks like they have the same approach to HW requirements as my programs. PC has a lot of RAM, so lets use it.

denizsi

Arcane
I haven't read what it's about and what the TB mechanics are like and I bet it's shit BUT...oh god it looks so good.

Mortmal

Arcane
Ed123 said:
Nice aesthetic.

That's about it.
Why so grumpy today ed ? Turn based combat, and 100 or more skills to flee or surrender , french design at its finest , come on , smile!

Its not really DLCs, more like sam and max , 7 episodes.. 7X5=35 euros, indeed a little expensive for an indie.They wont get much sales, its turn based, with a unusual plot, mainstream dont like that . So the price is justified if its good.
its sill not as expensive as some indies like dominion 3 at 54.95$, i hardly see anyone complaing about it.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I for one do not like the art style. It looks like one of those throwaway clickfest casual games.

However, if the gameplay is good this is definitely interesting.

zeitgeist

Magister
I'm not sure I fully understand the complaints about the pricetag - it costs about as much as games do nowadays, maybe a bit less. Are you really trying to say that indie games are automatically inferior to "real" games? With lower prices, do we also have lowered expectations? With no AAA studio behind it, are we conditioned to expect something absolutely inferior to a "real" game in every way, from art, game design, sound and writing, to marketing, support and price?

And when one of those elements somehow transcends the box we put it in even before playing, will the game receive unwarranted praise on all fronts?

Saying "35€ is too much for an indie game" sounds an awful lot like saying "35€ is too much for a bad game", which of course it is, because bad games ideally shouldn't be bought at all. A really really bad game shouldn't suddenly become worthy of spending 20+ hours of your time on, if you find out it costs only $1. Or should it?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
asper said:
I for one do not like the art style. It looks like one of those throwaway clickfest casual games.

It's weird.

Despite the overall high art quality and obvious effort put into the detail, something in my mind keeps saying.

"it looks like a cheap flash game"

I think this is an irrational prejudice though and I should try to fight it down.

On a more rational level, it seems worrisome that none of the screenshots seem to show you controlling a team of characters. Single character turn based is only very rarely a good design decision.

Melcar

Arcane
What's with all this Episode bullshit? Seems like everyone is doing it. Can't we just get a full fucking game anymore? Game "looks" alright though.
Also, no Linux client. I'm very angry about that. Don't plan to buy the game and probably will not remove it from an inventory just for the hell of it, but it still pisses me off.

waywardOne

Arcane
PorkaMorka said:
"it looks like a cheap flash game"
same, except without the "cheap" part. to me it's an expensive beta until all the episodes necessary to complete it are available. graphics are compelling for now only because they're not typical, so in the end it will be this unfinished story that keeps me playing. right now, it could be the worst story ever just because of a terribad ending. no one would know until they've got X hours and $Y invested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom