Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Old Games is dead

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
<p>Been to the <a href="http://gog.com/">GOG front page</a> lately?</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;"> </p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">Dear GOG users,

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

We're very grateful for all support we've received from all of you in the past two years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming.

This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.

On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on <a href="http://twitter.com/gogcom" target="_blank">Twitter</a> and <a href="http://www.facebook.com/gogcom">Facebook</a> for updates.

All the best,
GOG.com Team</p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52564">Sorcerers.net is following the news</a> with apparently some twitter updates from GOG. So, are you glad you paid for digital downloads rather than hard-copies?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks <strong>Taluntain</strong> and <span class="name"><a name="1324510"></a><strong>fizzelopeguss</strong></span>!</p>

protobob

Liturgist
Rumor is that it's some kind of publicity stunt to introduce non-beta form of service.

Silellak

Cipher
So, are you glad you paid for digital downloads rather than hard-copies?
Sadly? Yes. I lose physical copies of my older games all the time, but since I subscribe to an online back-up service and constantly back up those same files to an external drive, I'm actually less likely to lose the games I downloaded from GOG.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Silellak said:
So, are you glad you paid for digital downloads rather than hard-copies?
Sadly? Yes. I lose physical copies of my older games all the time, but since I subscribe to an online back-up service and constantly back up those same files to an external drive, I'm actually less likely to lose the games I downloaded from GOG.
Agreed, that was and still is a big appeal for me. I still love big and well-documented manuals and all sorts of goodies we had sometimes. But I can't count how many disks ans cds I've lost (or given and never got back).

I also was glad to purchase English versions of old games for they usually are more mod friendly than French ones. And it sure was the easiest way to get them (even easier than not removing them).

Rhalle

Magister
Probably another brilliant PR stunt from the same Polacks who announced the ROTWW Console-Witcher game to its PC fanbase with a PC/Internet Viral Puzzle.

Malachi

Liturgist
If this was only a marketing ploy, it was an incredibly bad idea. If you are using internet distribution to sell software, the last thing you want to do is to reinforce the idea that the server could shut down at any time, and so the money you've spent is wasted.

Topher

Cipher
Wow, this was really a PR stunt? The GoG guys are fucking stupid.

Zeus

Cipher
It's a marketing stunt designed to make you realize that Age of Wonders and Master of Orion I&II are available for $5.99 on Impulse.

:thumbsup:

drunkpriest

Scholar
I was gonna say, how could they lose money by selling pirated games or by bundling old games with dosbox.
:smug:

Well, on the upside, soon we'll have a precedent one way or the other for whether electronic distributors (or DRM for that matter, though GoG isn't DRM) will provide a server for download/activation after they go under.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Hey, as long as they follow through and let me re-download my library this week I'll be fine. I've got a fresh spindle of blank DVDs right here.

Hopefully they will just be using this as a stunt to leave beta. It's a lame stunt, but they really are a pretty decent second party service. I'd hate to see them go, even if I didn't use them that much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom