Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Dungeon Siege III Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Siege III; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Another GamesCom based Dungeon Siege 3 preview surfaced, this time <a href="http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/63853/dungeon-siege-3/articles/72013/Gamescom-2010-Dungeon-Siege-3-Interview/" target="_blank">G4TV questioned</a> Obsidian's Nathaniel Chapman and Gas Powered Games' Chris Taylor.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>G4: I noticed as I watched the demonstration that the way loot is presented to the player is very rooted in the game world, rather than a box popping up listing what's in a chest, or loot falling out of enemies as they die. How did that come about?</strong><br /><br />Nathaniel: We have a goofy term for it on the team, we call it "Pow!" It's basically the idea that when loot comes out of a monster it shouldn't just appear on the ground; it should explode out of them with, like, sparkles and a million particle effects. Just the idea that whenever you do something in the game, it should be awesome. With the loot, we didn't want it to feel like, "Okay, I'm opening up a window and clicking buttons to get my loot."<br /><br />You see in the demo that when you attack a skeleton, bones fly off them. We just wanted to have that feeling that everything is visceral and in the world, that was really important to us.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The significance of loot exploding out of the enemies with sparkles and particle effects - I always underestimated it.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15690">RPGWatch</a></p>

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
We have a goofy term for it on the team, we call it "Pow!" It's basically the idea that when loot comes out of a monster it shouldn't just appear on the ground; it should explode out of them with, like, sparkles and a million particle effects. Just the idea that whenever you do something in the game, it should be awesome. With the loot, we didn't want it to feel like, "Okay, I'm opening up a window and clicking buttons to get my loot."

... :retarded:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think he's misusing the word visceral.
vis·cer·al/ˈvis(ə)rəl/ Adjective
1. Of or relating to the viscera.
2. Relating to deep inward feelings rather than to the intellect
Still very applicable. :smug:

denizsi

Arcane
OBSIDIAN COCKSUCKERS FANBOYS TO THE DEFENSE PLS!

It just isn't the same making fun of Obsidian without them nutjobs defending.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
We have a goofy term for it on the team, we call it "Pow!" It's basically the idea that when loot comes out of a monster it shouldn't just appear on the ground; it should explode out of them with, like, sparkles and a million particle effects.

I have this goofy term, I call it "Obsidian!" It's basically when I see a dumb stupid game, and not just a regular dumb stupid game, but one that sparkles with a million particle effects. That is an "Obsidian".

Just the idea that whenever you do something in the game, it should be awesome even if it doesn't make a lick of sense and will probably get annoying 15 minutes into the game

I get the idea that they want to make the boring action of grabbing items off the ground into something more interesting, but they could just add lighting effects on the dropped piece...or just make cooler things that will cause "Wow!" by their own merit, not by flashiness.

Phelot

Arcane
Oh wow that's bad LOL

Still, being a Dungeon Siege game, it probably needs any distractions it can get to make the game compelling enough to keep trudging through it.

I recall that I played through the first game just to see what the next area would be. Sad, I know...

But this reminded me of Myth. Why can't we have more games like Myth? Were all the gore and heads and limbs stay on the map.

myth.jpeg

FeelTheRads

Arcane
OBSIDIAN COCKSUCKERS FANBOYS TO THE DEFENSE PLS!

I'm very angry about DS3 having special effects.

:salute:

Because the problem is with the special effects, not with how they're used, of course.

Here's hoping the combat is as unplayable as in NWN2 due to the screen being covered in special effects. :thumbsup:

KalosKagathos

Learned
Judging by the trailer, there's a lot less crap on the screen than there is in, say, Torchlight. But do rage on.

Shannow

Waster of Time
KalosKagathos said:
Judging by the trailer, there's a lot less crap on the screen than there is in, say, Torchlight. But do rage on.
See, FTR, if you'd not claimed that Torchlight's special effects were done right before, KK wouldn't have had the argument to rip you a new asshole.
POW!

KalosKagathos

Learned
Shannow said:
KalosKagathos said:
See, FTR, if you'd not claimed that Torchlight's special effects were done right before, KK wouldn't have had the argument to rip you a new asshole.
POW!
The point is that DS 3 special effects do not prevent you from understanding just what the hell is going on. As long as they don't, anything is fair game.

Radisshu

Prophet
Darth Roxor said:
We have a goofy term for it on the team, we call it "Pow!" It's basically the idea that when loot comes out of a monster it shouldn't just appear on the ground; it should explode out of them with, like, sparkles and a million particle effects. Just the idea that whenever you do something in the game, it should be awesome. With the loot, we didn't want it to feel like, "Okay, I'm opening up a window and clicking buttons to get my loot."

So... stupid.

Radisshu

Prophet
Darth Roxor said:

So... stupid.:retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :retarded: :M :M :M :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :decline: :x :x :x :rpgcodex: :rpgcodex: :rpgcodex: :rpgcodex: :rpgcodex: :decline: :retarded: :retarded: :thumbsup: :oops: :lol: :lol: :love: :o :o

Carceri

Arcane
when loot comes out of a monster it shouldn't just appear on the ground; it should explode out of them

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I wonder what qualifications one must posses to be able to get hired at Obshitdian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom