Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Best RPG Engine in the World

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>... is TSOOD, The Witcher 2's new engine. GamesCom unveiled some new details regarding DRM, Sex, the engine and the ending of TW2.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Tomek Gop <a href="http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,769029/Witcher-2-dev-promises-No-ridiculous-DRM-system/Practice/" target="_blank">talks DRM</a> with PC Games Hardware:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><span id="intelliTXT">Quite clearly, Tomasz Gop stated his mind on digital rights management and copy protection: Indeed, to this point of development nothing was final, yet. But honest players should be rewarded instead of being punished harder than software pirates. Ridiculous DRM-systems like seen in other games would not be applied in The Witcher 2, says Tomasz Gop. </span></p>
</blockquote>
<p><a href="http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2010/08/23/the-witcher-2-has-16-endings-other-figures-of-interest/" target="_blank">The Videogame Blog</a> on endings:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>According to CD Project, players of the choice and consequence-focused RPG will be able to wrap up their journey in a number of different ways, as the game sports 16 different conclusions; quite jump from the first&rsquo;s 3.</p>
<p>In addition, the game will have 3 openings and double the cut-scenes with triple the length.</p>
<p>Another number of interest, this time for its much smaller value, is the amount of loading screens players will be presented with. While the first game did so approximately 700 times, the sequel will interrupt gameplay with a loading screen a mere 4 times. This thanks to TSOOD &mdash; <em>The Witcher 2</em>&lsquo;s game engine that took 20 programmers and 3 years to create &mdash; which the developer considers to be &ldquo;the best RPG engine in the world.&rdquo;</p>
</blockquote>
<p>And finally there's a <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOl_fydJkR0&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank">video interview</a> covering the sex topic among other things.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/99390-the-witcher-2-engine-drm-sex-and-ending-details.html">GB</a></p>

deuxhero

Arcane
Given the story flow chart, I'm willing to bet you will only see a 6th of them at most per playthrough.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good to see that the engine is much better than the improved Bioware one they used for the first game.

Achilles

Arcane
This game is sounding better and better, I can't wait to play it. Also, there are ladies with big boobs.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Alexandros said:
This game is sounding better and better, I can't wait to play it.

I would upgrade my PC for this game and nothing else. Nom nom nom.

Phelot

Arcane
Really? I'm not seeing much to gawk over especially considering the first game

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
A lot of what they sounds good, but it looks like they've kicked the fantasy into overdrive. What appeals to me in the Witcher is the low fantasy setting, and they were already pushing that the first time. Now we're fighting Efreet in the beginning?

Quilty

Magister
The interviewer's moustache-oh-wait-there's-a-beard hybrid confuses me.

Also, why does the game have to have so many Ss in its title? What's wrong with Witcher 2 FULLSTOP. Oh no, we need a flashy title that you can't pronounce without lisping.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Grunker said:
A lot of what they sounds good, but it looks like they've kicked the fantasy into overdrive. What appeals to me in the Witcher is the low fantasy setting, and they were already pushing that the first time. Now we're fighting Efreet in the beginning?

Yeah, same here. Can anybody familiar with Sapkowski say if it fits to the universum? Because it does not seem at fucking all to fit in that world. I mean, fucking 50 meters tall "Monstah" from the last trailer, or this huge testicle dude from the early trailers are like from some Final Fantasy rip-off.
I definitely preferred "standard" monsters from Slavic legends.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Can anybody familiar with Sapkowski say if it fits to the universum?

It doesn't. Sapkowski only goes all-out on the fantasy when his trying to make a metaphor or an allegory. Examples from The Last Wish include his mockeries of A Beauty and the Beast as well as Snow-White and the Seven Dwarves.

His usual monsters are a mix of slavic legends and the stuff he adds to him from his own universe.

yaster

Liturgist
Grunker said:
Can anybody familiar with Sapkowski say if it fits to the universum?

It doesn't. Sapkowski only goes all-out on the fantasy when his trying to make a metaphor or an allegory. Examples from The Last Wish include his mockeries of A Beauty and the Beast as well as Snow-White and the Seven Dwarves.

His usual monsters are a mix of slavic legends and the stuff he adds to him from his own universe.

Not really, there is some serious time and plane traveling much latter in saga. Stuff that you would expect from something set in planescape. Plane of peace-loving tree-hugging elves (and rebellious unicorn scums) or world of Arthurian myth (I think It was Galahad who made appearance). Seriously, the setting made by sapkowski would take any kind of oddity and still be fine with it.

It's worth to mention that 1st part of witcher wasn't all that strictly true to sapkowski in the first place. I mean like geralt actually died in the end of the saga, sheesh. Or the part where you can't walk 5 meters in the game without encouraging some kind of monster - in book geralt is constantly broke and have hard time finding job because there's barely any monster left (or those who still exist don't bother people enough to make them pay for some killing). In sapkowski's setting monsters are scarce because witchers through ages droved them to extinction - and then they (witchers) were jobless and became quite scary for humans, so human kingdom struck and smashed witchers, leaving only a handful alive - that were the books start, at the very end of witchers and after mass genocide of poor beast. I kinda understand why they put so many monster in the game, for the gameplay sake (though I think much less frequent yet requiring more preparing and time-consuming monster-killing would be better choice, like once pre hour or so), but it is still inconsistent with books - actually the very same shit as in complain about TW2. Does all these little details hurt TW1? Nah, I don't think so, and I doubt it would be a problem for TW2. Setting looks ok, gamepaly is the thing I would be worried about...

Also afair the second books with short stories, "miecz przeznaczenia", starts from rape of the last dragon, so there you go, hueg monstar killingz ,though they had whole army devoted for this very purpose ugh. Geralt also met at some point genie granting wishes and fought manticore. Hardly a slavic thing. Sapkowski mixed a lot and wasn't afraid of external influences.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yaster said:
Not really, there is some serious time and plane traveling much latter in saga. Stuff that you would expect from something set in planescape. Plane of peace-loving tree-hugging elves (and rebellious unicorn scums) or world of Arthurian myth (I think It was Galahad who made appearance). Seriously, the setting made by sapkowski would take any kind of oddity and still be fine with it.

I think you missed my point kindda. Sapkowski doesn't just throw in high fantasy "because it would be totally awesome," like it seems to be the case with the efreet-guy in TW2. There's always some kindda point or morale to it, which goes fine with his themes since he's always either extremely moralising or trying to show how bad moralising is (these double-standards is one of the reasons I love Sapkowski).

Yaster said:
It's worth to mention that 1st part of witcher wasn't all that strictly true to sapkowski in the first place.

As I said:

Grunker said:
and they were already pushing that the first time.

So.

Yaster said:
In sapkowski's setting monsters are scarce because witchers through ages droved them to extinction - and then they (witchers) were jobless and became quite scary for humans, so human kingdom struck and smashed witchers, leaving only a handful alive - that were the books start, at the very end of witchers and after mass genocide of poor beast.

My point exactly.

kinda understand why they put so many monster in the game, for the gameplay sake (though I think much less frequent yet requiring more preparing and time-consuming monster-killing would be better choice, like once pre hour or so), but it is still inconsistent with books - actually the very same shit as in complain about TW2. Does all these little details hurt TW1? Nah, I don't think so, and I doubt it would be a problem for TW2.

I disagree for a simple reason; the monsters in TW1 were pretty basic. You had the ghouls and the drowners, the Kikimores and so on. All of which were either tied to a good slavic myth or original. At least nothing too high fantasy.

This giant monster of an Efreet suddenly commanding an army out in the open seems quite out of place. ESPECIALLY if he's only there because "OMG TAHT WOULD BE SO AWESOME!"

Setting looks ok

At least it seems they nailed the middle-ages feel again. That atmosphere was one of the best parts of TW1.

Geralt also met at some point genie granting wishes and fought manticore. Hardly a slavic thing. Sapkowski mixed a lot and wasn't afraid of external influences.

But that's exactly my point. I said he included them either when they fit the gothic theme or when he used them to make a point.

The genie in The Last Wish is both an allegory to Disney's Alladin (the whole book is basically Disney/Grimm allegory upon Disney/Grimm allegory) and he utilizes it to make a point. I will admit though, that the genie is the most high fantasy thing in The Last Wish.

a budda

Arbiter
looks mass effecty to me :/ moar boobs1!
well, at least they enhance inventory, not throw it away :roll:

but if dialogues are as good as in the first one (a Pole be me) i'm fine

and this time it looks like it's going to be replayable

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The fact that it's a home-brewed engine and not some shit like UE3 is already massive :incline: to me.

Lightknight

Liturgist
The fact that it's a home-brewed engine and not some shit like UE3
On the other hand, their coders suck major balls. On a weak machine its perfectly noticeable how Witcher (2007) on minimal settings runs twice slower than Dragon Age (2009) on average, whils giving out similar quality picture.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Maybe. But remember that Witcher was on the horrible, HORRIBLE Aurora engine, and given the giant overhaul CDP did to it, I would be reluctant to say that their coders completely suck balls.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
THEIR CODERS SUCK BALLS BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT ENOUGH FOR CODEX THAT IS ABOVE EVERYTHING

Phelot

Arcane
Punching guards in their helmet:
the-witcher-2_aug23_10.jpg

Poland... what are ya gonna do, you know what I'm sayin?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The Codex can never decide: Be the ultimate graphix whores or love games pre-1995. That's why it does both, and that's why it's ultimately hilarious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom