Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Deus Ex 3 is More Demanding than the Original

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Deus Ex: Human Revolution; Eidos Montreal

<p>Rock Paper Shotgun's Quintin Smith had a look at <strong>Deus Ex: Human Revolution</strong> at GamesCom 2010 and came back with nice things to say about it.</p>
<blockquote>It’s not just that Human Revolution offers multiple paths. It offers more of exactly what Deus Ex offered. The detail in the environments, the chance to talk to an idle population of civilians, the option of nosing through emails- that sense that you’re not just playing through a level but roleplaying a very cool guy in a very long black coat in a very absorbing world.<br /><br />The menu was brought up at several points, too. There really is still a grid inventory. But there are so many additions, too- you now have 21 individual augmentation slots, and most seem to have their own tiny tech tree that you cherrypick your way down.<br /><br />Something else that shocked me is the new hacking minigame. It’s dramatically complex- a kind of Uplink strategy battle where you first hide from and then race a server, with extra programs and viruses that can be found or bought and give you a helping hand. Similarly, the dialogue is fast paced to the point of being difficult to follow. I was expecting just about anything from Human Revolution except for it to be more demanding than the original Deus Ex. I couldn’t be happier. When was the last time you saw a great PC game being adapted to consoles and becoming more complex in the process?</blockquote>
<p>It's beginning to sound less far-fetched that this thing might not suck, although I could do without fast paced, hard to follow dialogue.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/21/gamescom-10-report-day-3/">RPS</a></p>

SoupNazi

Something else that shocked me is the new hacking minigame. It’s dramatically complex- a kind of Uplink strategy battle where you first hide from and then race a server, with extra programs and viruses that can be found or bought and give you a helping hand.

This seems to be the only part that sounds funny. The rest gives me yet another glimmer of hope. I'm still optimistic ...

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
RPS said:
When was the last time you saw a great PC game being adapted to consoles and becoming more complex in the process?
:retarded:
This can't be right.
Something must be easier and dumbed down somewhere.
What aren't they telling us?
Well, cover system and health regen is already confirmed, so...

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Something else that shocked me is the new hacking minigame. It’s dramatically complex- a kind of Uplink strategy battle where you first hide from and then race a server, with extra programs and viruses that can be found or bought and give you a helping hand.
Why can't I just use the ICE Breaker and be done with it? :x

Fucking minigames.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Minigames disappoint me to my core.

Everything else on the other hand sounds interesting (except for cover systems and regen health). This could easily be waaay too good to be true though.

Achilles

Arcane
I don't believe a fucking word they say until I see it for myself, mainly because their idea of complex gameplay is a game with an inventory. I will keep an open mind and hope for the best.

Also, this...

When was the last time you saw a great PC game being adapted to consoles and becoming more complex in the process?

... is hilarious. Isn't the whole industry trying to tell us that nothing is dumbed down, just streamlined? Maybe he should ask that very same question to his colleague, Alec "you can start believing in XCOM" Meer.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
To be fair, RPS is kind of good about the whole dumbing down stuff, at least when compared to their competitors.

I don't so much mind minigames as long as they're fun and preferably short. I have a much lower tolerance for the cinematic takedown stuff though.

Twinkle

Liturgist
So, retarded minigames instead of proper skills are the new complexity. My, even Alpha Protocol is more demanding than shitty DX! And hey, now you have 21 ways to make your char ridiculously overpowered instead of 9 - that's some real incline. :)

Victor Dosev

Novice
I don't know. I kinda want to like Deus Ex 3. I mean cyber-punk >>>>> toilet fantasy. The game has some potential from what I've seen/read so far but as I realized Mr.Specter isn't involved in the process (he's working on Epic Mickey right now) I'm not that faithful anymore. Something's telling me this game is more the result of the "let's make a sequel" trend (it's a time of crisis you know, people tend to fund established franchises) rather than the "play style matters" design philosophy which advocates non-linear approach. :roll:

It sounds promising, but shit like '21 augmentation slots each with their own tech tree' just screams marketing gimmick. Half of them will be 'augmentations' that will add +1 damage to *insert weapon here*, or will have a bunch of repeats, or something. Otherwise there really isn't that much news other then the fact that they haven't 'streamlined' the inventory out of the game or anything stupid. Which is fine, if it ends up being a carbon copy of DX with extra silly minigames added in, I'll enjoy it. Hope they don't fuck up the plot too badly though.

More interesting to me is the GW2 report. Sounds like they are adding in the idea of character origins from DA, which was probably the only part of DA everyone could agree was actually well done.

denizsi

Arcane
There's one guy in that team, fighting the good fight while surrounded by a swarm of inchworms of consolitis. That one guy has his heart and mind in the right place. He's constantly throwing out ideas, designing good things. He's trying. I don't know who he is and his significance in the direction, but it's obvious he's in there and making enough of an impression on others. But the swarm... the swarm just don't take anything for granted. The swarm infests and mutates and so do they infest and mutate the lone guy's ideas and find new ways of dumbing shit down because that's in their nature. They are the great hungerers. They must find something good just so that they can streamline it.

It's nice that there's more to hacking than just a skill check on click, including upgrades and stuff but the way it's described sounds like it might be popamole shit.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
:decline:

Not impressed. It's going to be a dumbed down action-shooter with RPG elements and fucking queer mini-games.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
DragoFireheart said:
:decline:

Not impressed. It's going to be a dumbed down action-shooter with RPG elements and fucking queer mini-games.

The "Press X repeatedly to fuck the queer" kind?

flushfire

Augur
fuck minigames. modern day developers always miss the point with em. why make them more complex? making minigames more complex makes them break the flow of the actual game a lot more than simple ones do. minigames should be simpler if included at all. krondor's word locks were fucking better and more entertaining than shootemup lite minigames nowadays.

Jive One

Educated
Overweight Manatee said:
It sounds promising, but shit like '21 augmentation slots each with their own tech tree' just screams marketing gimmick. Half of them will be 'augmentations' that will add +1 damage to *insert weapon here*, or will have a bunch of repeats, or something.

Aye, there's the rub. Choices are great but to be significant they need meaningful consequences.

ironyuri

The way that they're talking about Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the way Alpha Protocol should have been marketed, because I'm fairly certain we'll get a similar product.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom