Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Morrowind Revisited by RPGWatch

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

<p>RPGWatch put up an editorial which is part retrospective, part love-letter. <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=158&amp;ref=0&amp;id=182" target="_blank">Learn how mods made Morrowind awesome.</a> Eh, I mean... even more awesome than it already was. It was awesome, I presume?</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>But this ain't your father's Morrowind anymore</strong><br /><br />Thanks to mods, Morrowind today is far better than when Bethesda delivered it to us back in 2002.&nbsp; Modders have taken on just about every aspect of the game.<br />Remember those ugly characters that looked like they were ready for embalming?&nbsp; No more!&nbsp; Remember soloing impossible battles against a roomful of baddies?&nbsp; Now take a companion along.&nbsp;&nbsp; Want to see something new?&nbsp; Take on any of the dozens of new islands, fortresses, adventures, etc.&nbsp; Unhappy with some of the balance issues or lack of weapons?&nbsp; Just pick through all the mods that address almost every aspect of game play.&nbsp; Fed up with NPCs blocking your path and nowhere to go?&nbsp; Add a command to ask them to move. <br />With Morrowind and mods, everything is the same, and yet everything is delightfully different.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>And the conclusions can be applied to other games too:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong><em>Mods!</em></strong></p>
<p><em>Dragon Age</em> will have a far longer shelf life and sell far more copies for more years (at a higher price!) than will <em>Mass Effect</em>.&nbsp; Do I have some great crystal ball?&nbsp; No.&nbsp; But I know the power of mods.&nbsp; <em>Dragon Age</em> mods have already added greatly to my fun of the game.&nbsp; One in particular, called "Advanced Tactics" is so close to how I like to play a party-based RPG that it is one of the best mods for any game I have ever seen.&nbsp; Perhaps it is useless to someone else based on their play style -- but that is the point.&nbsp; (I will avoid the temptation to discuss other <em>DA</em> mods -- that is for another time, perhaps.)&nbsp; The bottom line for Bioware is that someone named "Anakin" wrote a mod that was so close to what I seek in a "perfect" RPG that he/she doubled my satisfaction with Bioware's game.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Anakin, eh? Probably a lightsaber mod. Ok that would have doubled my satisfaction too, I've always been a big friend of lightsabers.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15545">RPGWatch</a></p>

DA needs a complete remake to be considered a good game.

Starting with the classes, the spells, the quests, the NPCs...

Malachi

Liturgist
To be fair, the "Advanced Tactics" mod is a very good one. It doesn't make the endless filler combat go away, but it does make the Tactics options more sensible.

Now, naming himself "Anakin"? The guy totally deserves to be ripped on because of that.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Remember soloing impossible battles against a roomful of baddies? 

Honestly no, Morrowind is the easiest game made by Bethesda, even Daggerfall was more difficult, still a good game.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
markec said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

Honestly no, Morrowind is the easiest game made by Bethesda, even Daggerfall was more difficult, still a good game.

Morrowind the easiest Beth game? You kidding man? Oblivion was easy as hell once you learned to metagame (which the shitty character developement pretty much forced you to do). And FO3 had a fucking magical "WIN" button, and a possibly even shittier character development system that made it simple to max out all combat skills. Morrowind had similarly bad character development compared to Oblivion, but the lack of level scaling meant you would a occasionally run into something which would kick your ass.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
JagreenLern said:
markec said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

Morrowind the easiest Beth game? You kidding man? Oblivion was easy as hell once you learned to metagame (which the shitty character developement pretty much forced you to do). And FO3 had a fucking magical "WIN" button, and a possibly even shittier character development system that made it simple to max out all combat skills. Morrowind had similarly bad character development compared to Oblivion, but the lack of level scaling meant you would a occasionally run into something which would kick your ass.

If you put Oblivion on max difficulty the game actually becomes a pain when, ironically, you get 10+ levels. Fallout 3 can also occasionally be challenging when playing on very hard and ignoring vats. Morrowind is difficult only until you get some level 10 and find a good weapon after that all challenge cease to exist.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
markec said:
JagreenLern said:
markec said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

If you put Oblivion on max difficulty the game actually becomes a pain when, ironically, you get 10+ levels. Fallout 3 can also occasionally be challenging when playing on very hard and ignoring vats. Morrowind is difficult only until you get some level 10 and find a good weapon after that all challenge cease to exist.

The Tribunal expansion areas where a lot harder. Those fucking goblin sewers were a bitch. I never played Oblivion on full difficulty, but overall I never found the game to be challenging as much as just tedious. And I can't imagine playing FO3 without VATS because the actual FPS combat was just so fucking awful. I really hope New Vegas brings it up to the level of even a decent FPS. Iron sights sound promising, but I can't say my hopes are very high.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
JagreenLern said:
The Tribunal expansion areas where a lot harder. Those fucking goblin sewers were a bitch. I never played Oblivion on full difficulty, but overall I never found the game to be challenging as much as just tedious. And I can't imagine playing FO3 without VATS because the actual FPS combat was just so fucking awful. I really hope New Vegas brings it up to the level of even a decent FPS. Iron sights sound promising, but I can't say my hopes are very high.

I played Morrowind as a assassin so with sneak attack you could pretty much kill everyone with a few attacks, but I agree Tribunal was more difficult then Morrowind. Warewolfs in Bloodmoon was also a challenge in the labyrinth part in the end but they could be avoided by invisibility spell.

I remember when playing Oblivion on higher levels I preferred using invisibility to fighting since enemies would get crazy hp boosts so fights were more tedious then fun.

I cant imagine anyone playing F3 with VATS since to me it become boring before I even left the opening vault. The core combat mechanic is clunky (an understatement) so the game actually becomes a bit more difficult since you dont have "I win" button.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Malachi said:
To be fair, the "Advanced Tactics" mod is a very good one. It doesn't make the endless filler combat go away, but it does make the Tactics options more sensible.

Now, naming himself "Anakin"? The guy totally deserves to be ripped on because of that.
He wanted to call himself "Anal Kin" but they'd have nothing of it. Don't hate the player. Hate the game, boy.

Zeus

Cipher
I have a theory that people who download 40 mods to make a game better spend more time playing with the mods than the game.

Has anyone Totally Converted a game like Morrowind and actually beat the sucker? Or do you just load it up, go 'Ooh pretty' and wander off to play something else?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Zeus said:
I have a theory that people who download 40 mods to make a game better spend more time playing with the mods than the game.

Has anyone Totally Converted a game like Morrowind and actually beat the sucker? Or do you just load it up, go 'Ooh pretty' and wander off to play something else?

I loaded it up, went 'Ooh pretty' then went and played something else. :smug:

dr. one

Augur
Zeus said:

i have. ´twas solid fun, often in a b-movie kind of way.

M9cMs.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
markec said:
I cant imagine anyone playing F3 with VATS since to me it become boring before I even left the opening vault. The core combat mechanic is clunky (an understatement) so the game actually becomes a bit more difficult since you dont have "I win" button.

Difficult, perhaps, but not more enjoyable. If I recall right the only thing raising the difficulty in FO3 did was make the enemies take ten times the amount of damage to kill so you're basically just pumping out 500 rounds of ammo to kill one thing which gets tedious fast.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
JagreenLern said:
Morrowind the easiest Beth game? You kidding man? Oblivion was easy as hell once you learned to metagame (which the shitty character developement pretty much forced you to do).

Umm, what?

Morrowind had:

* intelligence abuse for potions which let you make potions that added tens of thousands to your stats
* a hideously broken enchant system that, once you had enchant to a respectable level, allowed you to build and wield a life stealing rocket launcher ring that did massive damage over a wide area in a ridiculously short amount of time (using spells from items did not have cast animations, they were cast instantly). Recharging the items was trivial too, you just had to wait.
* the ability to train all your skills to 100 for free. Due to the method (draining skills and training them while you were at 0) you didn't even have to look for a master at higher levels
* glitch that made spell effects permanent. beth outright refused to patch it because it had become such a huge part of the game. Not that I mind LARPing a necromancer invasion of Ald Ruhn with dozens of undead and atronach, but it was a pretty ridiculous endorsement of a glitch in an already ridiculously easy game.

Nothing in Oblivion is as broken as the shit that was in morrowind.

Malachi

Liturgist
poocolator said:
He wanted to call himself "Anal Kin" but they'd have nothing of it. Don't hate the player. Hate the game, boy.

It's been a very long time since I was a "boy". That aside, it doesn't really matter *why* he chose a name evocative of Star Wars fandom -- the name has a single common meaning, and one can only inwardly groan upon seeing someone use it as an alias. It was just as bad when, immediately after the Peter Jackson movies, you saw "Legolazz666" or some variant thereof in every corner of the interweb.

Nonetheless, I thank you for the information.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Mastermind said:
JagreenLern said:
Morrowind the easiest Beth game? You kidding man? Oblivion was easy as hell once you learned to metagame (which the shitty character developement pretty much forced you to do).

Umm, what?

Morrowind had:

* intelligence abuse for potions which let you make potions that added tens of thousands to your stats
* a hideously broken enchant system that, once you had enchant to a respectable level, allowed you to build and wield a life stealing rocket launcher ring that did massive damage over a wide area in a ridiculously short amount of time (using spells from items did not have cast animations, they were cast instantly). Recharging the items was trivial too, you just had to wait.
* the ability to train all your skills to 100 for free. Due to the method (draining skills and training them while you were at 0) you didn't even have to look for a master at higher levels
* glitch that made spell effects permanent. beth outright refused to patch it because it had become such a huge part of the game. Not that I mind LARPing a necromancer invasion of Ald Ruhn with dozens of undead and atronach, but it was a pretty ridiculous endorsement of a glitch in an already ridiculously easy game.

Yeah but unless you read about that stuff online you'd have to have semi-deep knowledge on the workings of the game to exploit the game in such ways. If you manage to find out those things on your own then you deserve to use the exploits.

Whereas in Oblivion I noticed pretty quickly that as my level grew my enemies kept getting stronger and stronger so I just stopped leveling period. That alone kept the game on baby's first action game level.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Malachi said:
poocolator said:

It's been a very long time since I was a "boy". That aside, it doesn't really matter *why* he chose a name evocative of Star Wars fandom -- the name has a single common meaning, and one can only inwardly groan upon seeing someone use it as an alias. It was just as bad when, immediately after the Peter Jackson movies, you saw "Legolazz666" or some variant thereof in every corner of the interweb.

Nonetheless, I thank you for the information.

!!

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Metro said:
Difficult, perhaps, but not more enjoyable. If I recall right the only thing raising the difficulty in FO3 did was make the enemies take ten times the amount of damage to kill so you're basically just pumping out 500 rounds of ammo to kill one thing which gets tedious fast.

To me difficult = fun, it is stupid to shoot dozen times in supermutants head from point blank with combat shotgun to kill him, but it still was not as nearly broken as Oblivions level scaling.

Mastermind said:
JagreenLern said:

Umm, what?

Morrowind had:

Don't forget making a set of enchanted fine cloth that gives you permanent 100% chameleon, or 100% sanctuary. No metagaming knowledge there either - I built them because it was the natural extension of enchanting. I just figured I'd enchant the most chameleon I could onto fine cloth, to buff my sneaking. I wasn't fucking expecting to end up with a character than can calmly walk up and attack anything until its dead, with nothing in the game doing anything to escape or dispell or see through invis. It's a very intuitive thing to do, not exploiting any bugs, and it very quickly breaks the game.

Bizarre that they didn't think of it.

hakuroshi

Augur
Azrael the cat said:
Mastermind said:

Don't forget making a set of enchanted fine cloth that gives you permanent 100% chameleon, or 100% sanctuary. No metagaming knowledge there either - I built them because it was the natural extension of enchanting. I just figured I'd enchant the most chameleon I could onto fine cloth, to buff my sneaking. I wasn't fucking expecting to end up with a character than can calmly walk up and attack anything until its dead, with nothing in the game doing anything to escape or dispell or see through invis. It's a very intuitive thing to do, not exploiting any bugs, and it very quickly breaks the game.

Bizarre that they didn't think of it.

It sounds like oblivion to me. In morrowind attacked NPCs usually try to run away from invisible attacker if they survive the strike. But their comrades never give a damn, true for both games. I've never enchanted with chameleon in MW, only in Oblivion, but the charged amulet with 80% chameleon can be obtaned from one stupid ambush.
Also I have no proofs, but it feels as multiply chameleons in MW do not stuck, but counted separately to determine if you are seen by NPC. At least, I sometimes was discovered while using 80% from amulet and 20% spell togather. In Oblivion 30+30+30+10 was pure invisibility.

Saying all this, it's no denying that Morrowing had a lot of hopelessly broken stuff.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
markec said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

I do remember that, but that was probably due to some mod that added hard-as-fuck enemies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom