Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ultima 6 Project: v1.0 Now Released!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Ultima 6 Project

<p>Have you just got your hands on a Dungeon Siege copy? I have. <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=154&amp;ref=0&amp;id=36" target="_blank">Speaking of it</a>:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>On this, the 20th anniversary year of the release of Origin Systems <em>Ultima 6</em>, it is with much pleasure that we announce the 1.0 release of Team Archon's <em>Ultima 6 Project</em>, for <em>Dungeon Siege 1</em> (PC and Mac).&nbsp; Players will find a huge and exciting world waiting to be discovered:</p>
<ul>
<li>Travel throughout the lands of Britannia, exploring dark forests with bandits lying in wait, deserts and swamps teeming with monsters, and peaceful towns and villages filled with shops, old friends, and interesting people just waiting to give the player numerous and exciting quests to solve.</li>
<li>Explore deep and dangerous caves and caverns full of treasure and hidden surprises. </li>
<li>Bring your breadcrumbs to mark your trail, or be prepared to be thoroughly and completely lost, with your remains left to be found by future explorers.</li>
<li>Sail the savage seas to explore remote islands, but be vigilant for there are sea monsters lying in wait for the careless traveler. </li>
<li>Discover a hidden new world, far from Britannia.</li>
<li>Encounter strange and exotic races, including the mysterious Gargoyles.</li>
<li>Fight fearsome monsters, find pirate loot, solve a murder, and discover the truth behind the numerous attacks on Britannia's towns.</li>
<li>Learn the commerce of the land for fun and profit.</li>
<li>Learn magical spells, search for magic reagents, and join guilds to gain special benefits.</li>
<li>Those players with proclivities to the dark side can follow an "evil path".</li>
<li>And, last, but not least, ferret out the hidden Easter eggs.</li>
</ul>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15246">RPGWatch</a></p>

Zeus

Cipher
Haha, NICE, I just downloaded the beta 3 yesterday.

Time to get downloadin'. :D

It should be noted that we were not able to complete all the NPC portraits, but we will be setting up a method for players to add their own portraits to replace the generic silhouette portraits used on the remaining NPC's.

mm2.jpg

jazzotron

Liturgist
I just knew my Dungeon Siege purchase years back would be of some benefit! These remakes make that poorly advised purchase worth it.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Alright! I messed around with the last beta but stopped knowing they would soon release v 1.0. I really enjoyed what I played as it definitely gave me a good "Lazarus vibe".

Downloading now!!

Hoho! Finally released. Can't wait to try it out.

Still a little baffled that a good looking VGA game would need a remake at all, but okay!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Finished D/L it and it works fine in Win 7 (you do need to do a few things).

A few screenshots for us Ultima fans to furiously masturbate to:

Dialogue Interface
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i45/J ... hot039.jpg

The Cards baby!
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i45/J ... hot040.jpg

The view of the Gypsy Camp
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i45/J ... hot062.jpg

Our non-homo buddy LB!
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i45/J ... hot064.jpg

And this image for the codex to giggle over

ScreenShot063.jpg

"Where is the fucking troll!!??"

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Blackadder said:
Nothing wrong with the original. And at least IT has turn based combat....DS has a worse system than the Infinity Engine.

True, it is the last Ultima with TB combat, I still loved Lazarus and the U6 project is still enjoyable.

Silellak

Cipher
Clockwork Knight said:
Sillelak will have to clean the cum off his keyboard now.
I actually never followed the Ultima 6 Project as closely as I did U5: Lazarus, but if I hear good things, then I'll have to reinstall Dungeon Siege. Which I need to do at some point, at least if I ever want to do that Lazarus LP.

Blackadder said:
Nothing wrong with the original. And at least IT has turn based combat....DS has a worse system than the Infinity Engine.
Truth. This is probably why I followed Lazarus a lot closer than the Ultima 6 Project - while Lazarus has a crappier combat system than the original Ultima 5, the Dungeon Siege engine allowed Team Lazarus to flesh out the dialog, characters, and story a lot more. I'm not entirely sure how Ultima 6 will benefit from a remake, but I won't discount the possibility. It's just a shame it wasn't Ultima 4...or Ultima 9, for that matter.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Silellak said:
while Lazarus has a crappier combat system than the original Ultima 5, the Dungeon Siege engine allowed Team Lazarus to flesh out the dialog, characters, and story a lot more.

This. This is what made Lazurus Shine like a brilliant star in a complete void of Darkness. Team Lazarus pulled nothing short of a miracle in this aspect.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Antagonist said:
Did anybody mention an Ultima 9 remake?

The Titans of Ether - Ultima IX Redemption website said:
When will Redemption be released?
Since we all have other jobs too and don't only work on the game like a "real" game studio, we can't exactly plan a release date yet. But we make a lot of progress constantly and I am quite sure that we will finish Redemption some time 2006.
:lol:

[EDIT]
jazzotron beat me to it. :salute:

Dragon

Augur
I still think that graphically, the U7 engine is way above the DS engine.
I really don't get that choice, the ToEE engine would have been the best.
And if they really wanted 3D real time (...), they should have switched to NW2 a long time ago.
All that incredible work. For nothing. Or maybe it will now be easier to convert it to another engine ? (naive hope)

Heresiarch

Prophet
OMG is it just me, or the game seems to be even BETTAH than Lazarus?

It says that Lazarus may not work with this...but I'm not finished with Lazarus yet. Is it possible to keep them both?

Petrell

Educated
Dragon said:
I still think that graphically, the U7 engine is way above the DS engine.
I really don't get that choice, the ToEE engine would have been the best.
And if they really wanted 3D real time (...), they should have switched to NW2 a long time ago.
All that incredible work. For nothing. Or maybe it will now be easier to convert it to another engine ? (naive hope)

ToEE, NWN, NWN2 among others have limitiations DS engine does not have among them fully exlorable world map (not small segments). NWN2 also came way too late (the remake had been in development for over 5 years when it came out). Also all of the projects that switched engines never got complete and I can dig quite few of those. DS simply was the best choise at the time and very few viable alternatives exist even today.

There are two complete Ultima 4 remakes for NWN and few other ultima projects ongoing for NWN2 (probably will never get finished either). If you're interested check Avatarship: Ultima 4 Remake Re-Polished and Ultima IV Reborn.

As for comparison between U6P and U5L, they were developed concurently and use Project Britannia platform as base (hopefully they release final version of it before they stop the development). There was also lot of collaboration between the two on all aspects of the development so they are very similar in many areas. U6P obviously has several new and enhanced features (ingame Journal, Manual, Compendium among others) that U5L does not have and story and setting are based on Ultima 6 obviously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom