Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol - my impressions after training mission

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
FUCKING MINIGAMES!
:rage:

Dialogue system is totally retarded, I have no idea what my character is going to say after choosing an option. I often do not choose an option anyway because it's too fast or my selection is stuck and I can't move it. Dialogues are also read by bunch of boring fags. Controls are unbearable (and I thought ME was horrible). Camera annoys me more than a fucking NWN2, FFS.

What the fuck is this shit?

Anyway I'm gonna take a break after this mission and perhaps continue when I buy mouse, my last one broke so I use touchpad since 2 months. Although Touchpad is enough for cRPGs and RTS/strategy, it is pretty bad for FPS games, you know.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
circ said:
Mouse won't help. I gave up.
Yeah, I probably will as well. Seriously, when compared to this, Bioware's new games are great. Thank Flying Spaghetti I haven't bought this game but downloaded it first to test out. I will spend my cash I saved up for AP on some indie game (Geneforge, perhaps?) that is worth it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Because you never, ever judge a game by the tutorial unless you're trying to go full retard.

Not to mention that quite a few people reported that the game gets better after the first few missions. Let's say, for example, that you'd judge Fallout 2 by the temple of trials, or MotB by that cave you wake up in, or even KOTOR 2 by the Peragus mining station. See what I mean?

Silellak

Cipher
One of my personal game playing rules: if the game isn't fun - or doesn't seem to have the potential to be fun - after an hour, then I'm done with it. This mostly came from people telling me how great [insert MMO here] was after [insert commitment length in hours here]. That's fantastic and all, but I play video games to have fun, not to trudge through hours of tedium to get to the part where it's eventually supposed to be entertaining. I haven't had that sort of free time in almost 10 years.

/end sort-of-on-topic rant

Konjad

Patron
I will try to give it a chance and finish one mission. If it won't get better I won't touch it again.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Vault Dweller said:
...or MotB by that cave you wake up in, or even KOTOR 2 by the Peragus mining station. See what I mean?

No I don't, because those games starting sessions where great, specially Kotor2. Peragus mining station set the atmosphere of the entire game, and from that point on you could feel the oppressive and depressive nature of the game.

Not to mention that quite a few people reported that the game gets better after the first few missions.

Some people also said Oblivion's side quests are where the game shines too, yet what we all claimed in here is that the whole package is of such a subpar quality that those other so called "good features" of the game would never be enough to make up for the rest. What I'm saying and many others are saying in here is exactly the same: AP as a whole is a complete mess and beyond redemption. And no matter how further you progress into the game, it will still feature the same gameplay flaws it started with on the very first level.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
Because you never, ever judge a game by the tutorial unless you're trying to go full retard.

Not to mention that quite a few people reported that the game gets better after the first few missions. Let's say, for example, that you'd judge Fallout 2 by the temple of trials, or MotB by that cave you wake up in, or even KOTOR 2 by the Peragus mining station. See what I mean?

I stopped playing and resumed Avernum 6 instead. Yes, It's that bad. And that's coming from an Obsidian fan and someone who isn't in need of kodex kool kredits.

sozzier than soz

MetalCraze

Arcane
@VD:
Except the game doesn't get better later on.

You still play an awful consolish shooter
You still twitch your ways through minigames
You still spend too much time watching interactive cutscenes
Dumbing down gets only worse with more unlocked console abilities
AI remains just as dumb
Corridors remain just as linear

It isn't about the training being boring - it's about how the game is done. And it isn't RPG. Even Bioware did a way better job with ME at least production quality-wise

But I still can't understand how some people on the Codex can consider this RPG? It has nothing from RPG, zilch, zero.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
hide.jpg

Vault Dweller said:

It can be reasonable to expect the content to get change in quality, but things like dialog options going too fast, bad voicing (for the most part), bad controls and bad camera are going to be universal throughout the game. Those are core parts of the game that won't change.

Personally I loved the Peragus mining station on Kotor 2. MotB and Temple of trials weren't good, but they were both ridiculously short. The AP tutorial sounds both bad AND long AND shows off things that have no promise of getting better.

Vault Dweller

Developer
racofer said:
Peragus mining station set the atmosphere of the entire game, and from that point on you could feel the oppressive and depressive nature of the game.
The overwhelming consensus when the game was released was that it sucked and didn't represent the game properly. I think that the entire game sucked but that's an entirely different story.

Some people also said Oblivion's side quests are where the game shines too...
Not the same. First, most side quests sucked as much if not more than the entire game.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/images/news/Quest%201.JPG
http://www.rpgcodex.net/images/news/Quest%202.JPG

A handful of side quests was decent (shined? no) but a handful of decent quests in a sandbox game is nothing. It's like recommending a shitty dungeon crawler for one decent fight.

What I'm saying and many others are saying in here is exactly the same: AP as a whole is a complete mess and beyond redemption. And no matter how further you progress into the game, it will still feature the same gameplay flaws it started with on the very first level.
Can't comment; haven't played the game yet. All I can share is my observations:

- quite a few people seem to like the game.
- the criticism is too vague: shit sucks, awful game, "complete mess beyond redemption"; nobody wants to be specific
- a lot of criticism whining is about things that either aren't important like combat in a third person action RPG (when was it done right?) and graphics or things that we knew would suck like the minigames.
- the gaming media hates it for retarded reasons - "oh noes I can't hit anything with my new character, the aiming cursor is too wide!!!"
- the positive comments are properly explained (unlike the criticism). For example:

Starwars: "The characters are perhaps my favorite thing about the game. Some of them are over the top which had me quite worried prior to the game's release but luckily enough, when you see them in the context of the game, they fit right in. The writing helps a ton and I think the dialogue system shows a real strength here, everything flows really nicely. There are pregnant pauses, snappy interruptions, witty retorts, serious moments and it all flows together extremely well. For all the reactivity in the game, they did an amazing job of making sure it all fits together well. They did a bang-up job "directing" the conversations.

A lot of the main characters (could be nearly everyone, hard to tell, I think there's one you have to kill though) can live or die by the end of the game it seems. Depending on whether you straight up let people live or if you execute them, or if they live or die as a result of your actions."
^ This sells me.

Silellak

Cipher
Out of curiosity, are you planning getting it VD? If so, will you be doing an Offical Codex Review, or just sharing impressions?

Vault Dweller

Developer
MetalCraze said:
@VD:
Except the game doesn't get better later on.
Many people say it does. For instance:
http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... 87#1167387

"ok, i retract my earlier statements and admit to having been a reactionary retard and letting some of the negativity weigh my opinion a little too early. so here's my 'mini-review' after 4 missions:

* as a few have said, the game does get better as you go along. i'm not finding the A.I. to be quite as bad as has been purported, though there have been a few retard moments (the charging is a little silly) and the combat is still clunky. that said, specializing your character feels more "fun" than in similar game-systems like ME 1/2 and has a more detailed and specialized pay-off...even if at times it makes your character a little too...eh...good at things.

* there have been a few pretty nice moments which i didn't expect (including one pretty good 'lol' involving missiles), and there are quite a few ways to go about each mission...though for the most part it amounts to "in which way would you like to go through this very linear mission".

* i'm not a fan of the gimmicky dialogue system and the timing (sometimes it's a little unclear what you're choosing and with the timer i've found myself arbitrarily choosing a few things before i knew wtf was happening), though i *do* like the variety of c&c it gives.

* i've decided to keep my final verdict until i'm through with the game or if it ends up getting retarded and i just uninstall. that said, i will be buying this game. there are enough redeeming qualities to it and so far i feel like it's a much better game than ME2, which was...after all is said and done...good for what it was (wtf was it, though?)."

Let's recap. A guy who kicked the game at first (i.e. not a fanboy) says that the game does get better and claimed that:

- specialization is done better than in ME
- there are quite a few ways to go about each mission
- there is a variety of choice and consequences

Throw in what Starwars said and AP begins to sound like a pretty cool game. Unless you wanted to play a good shooter, of course.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Silellak said:
Out of curiosity, are you planning getting it VD? If so, will you be doing an Offical Codex Review, or just sharing impressions?
I've already ordered it. I'll post my impressions in a few days.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Vault Dweller said:
- a lot of criticism whining is about things that either aren't important like combat in a third person action RPG (when was it done right?)

When a game requires gamepad and God of War level skills in QTE for it's dialogue system it can no longer qualify as PRG.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Vault Dweller said:
A lot of the main characters (could be nearly everyone, hard to tell, I think there's one you have to kill though) can live or die by the end of the game it seems. Depending on whether you straight up let people live or if you execute them, or if they live or die as a result of your actions."
^ This sells me.
And it is also true. In fact, quite a lot of times I felt Obsidian had read your AoD article about choices and consequences. The first Op didn't show nowhere near the consequences, since it seemed to set up for further events. The follow-up Ops on the other hand had lots of this stuff. For example, doing a Brave Diplomat run, I spare and befriend everyone that isn't a total douchebag or whose life doesn't have major repercussions.

There are quite a few during the Op, it shows throughout the Op, but I'll detail the major ones in my final mission in the Op. For example, I got

1) assistance from two factions: G22 due to making a deal to shutdown my bugs on their network servers and the professional conversation I had with their leader that left a good impression. I also got help from the Triads because I chose not to use information I had obtained about their leader to blackmail him, and left a good impression on the guy even without that.

2) I also managed to ensure the survival of the Taiwanese president, albeit at the cost of over 30 civilian casualties, which was due to a choice I made on that (actually it adds a whole new layer to the whole thing) dialogue timer thingie.

3) An NPC didn't rat me out to the media due to our good relations previously in Taipei.

And I'm already seeing repercussions of my actions in Taipei in Moscow, though thus far fairly small and overshadowed by a little misjudgment of character I had whist in Moscow.

Silellak

Cipher
Vault Dweller said:
a lot of criticism is about things that either aren't important like combat in a third person action RPG
I disagree here. Combat sucking in an action RPG is certainly important. Is it a game breaker? I guess that depends on what you look for in RPGs and games in general. For me, no, since I was able to enjoy Bloodlines despite the clunky combat. For others, yes - and I think it's certainly a valid opinion. An action game should have a solid combat system. Just because it hasn't been done right yet doesn't excuse other games in the same genre. Maybe it hasn't been done right because it's a stupid idea to force RPG-lite mechanics on top of a shooter-style game? Maybe ME2 had the right idea?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
These are also console shooter fans that fap to AssCreed, ME, GoW and other similar games and will eat any shooter that comes their way.

- the criticism is too vague: shit sucks, awful game, "complete mess beyond redemption"; nobody wants to be specific
Do not exaggerate. What more specific do you want it to get that the description of how the game goes?

- a lot of criticism whining is about things that either aren't important like combat in a third person action RPG (when was it done right?) and graphics or things that we knew would suck like the minigames.
When the tedious combat in very linear levels takes the biggest part of the game and there are just too many minigames that you must do in the same way over and over - yes this is important.
So just because "we" knew many features will suck - it leaves them out of the equation? What does it leave inside it then? Or do you really want a game that is just a collection of badly done cutscenes with poor writing? If I wanted a conspiracy movie I would've watched 24 which is done way better than a couple of pinoccios, with half of their faces being frozen, talking all the time.

the gaming media hates it for retarded reasons - "oh noes I can't hit anything with my new character, the aiming cursor is too wide!!!"
If anything that "retarded" media posts valid complaints. If you make a shooter game and I perfectly target a character why do I keep missing him (while I can see and always avoid camera rays with 0 skill)?
This moronic design hurt Deus Ex's action gameplay (although not much because you keep hitting what you targeted just fine) and, very badly, VtmB's action gameplay - where guns are ultimately useless. Just to act all cool and say "oh look we have a RPG even though it still plays like a shooter".

- the positive comments are properly explained (unlike the criticism). For example:
And then you post quotes about characters. There are lots of explained criticism - you just already throw it away with your "oh but we knew it will suck/it is unimportant!". I also find the irony in your quotes of "positive things" - they do not contain anything but a praise for interactive cutscenes.

VD admit it - you just want a cheap interactive B-movie.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Vault Dweller said:
The overwhelming consensus when the game was released was that it sucked and didn't represent the game properly. I think that the entire game sucked but that's an entirely different story.

Different opinions, nothing that can be argued about between us, I give you that. However what we're talking about in here is not solely the quality of the story, but actually everything that is flawed (and severely flawed, by the way) with the gameplay elements of Alpha Protocol, specially the abysmal dialog system which leaves the roleplaying (something we value in here) mangled, turning a great part of the roleplaying into a minigame that you don't fully understand the outcome, given that you don't pick what to say, only an emotional response.

Not the same. First, most side quests sucked as much if not more than the entire game.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/images/news/Quest%201.JPG
http://www.rpgcodex.net/images/news/Quest%202.JPG

A handful of side quests was decent (shined? no) but a handful of decent quests in a sandbox game is nothing.

And a handful of decent choices in a shooter is also irrelevant.

It's like recommending a shitty dungeon crawler for one decent fight.

The same can be said about AP. You ignore the overwhelming number of awful aspects in favor of some interesting moments.

Can't comment; haven't played the game yet.

That is the main problem going around here: people that have not yet played it, yet still think their point of view is more accurate than those whom have ventured into it.

Quite a few people liked Oblivion too, so I take it all of us who did not are just a bunch of whiners from their point of view.

There's no way to be specific about features you will only experience while playing the game. What you ask for is like describing colors to a blind person. The game as a whole doesn't fit right, and until you try the dreaded dialog mini game there's no way for you to fully understand what we've been talking about in here.

Timed responses are one thing, however having to make your pick before the dialog even ends is another thing, and this is what AP does.

- a lot of criticism whining is about things that either aren't important like combat in a third person action RPG shooter with RPG elements...

This describes the game better. "Wah wah but itz haz them choices nd consquences!!... yet you cannot avoid the linear progression of the game. Make no mistake, this game is just like ME only with much lower production values or polish.

(when was it done right?)

So if you don't know anything better, it's good for what it is? Come on...
and graphics or things that we knew would suck like the minigames.

The graphics I don't really care, but the minigames are an essential part of the game, present throughout the entire campaign, not merely gimmicks to advertise the game as in "We haz minigaems too!

- the gaming media hates it for retarded reasons - "oh noes I can't hit anything with my new character, the aiming cursor is too wide!!!"

Can't say you're wrong there, but we're talking about out own impression in here, not what was written over at gamespot.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Silellak said:
Vault Dweller said:
a lot of criticism is about things that either aren't important like combat in a third person action RPG
I disagree here. Combat sucking in an action RPG is certainly important. Is it a game breaker? I guess that depends on what you look for in RPGs and games in general. For me, no, since I was able to enjoy Bloodlines despite the clunky combat. For others, yes - and I think it's certainly a valid opinion. An action game should have a solid combat system. Just because it hasn't been done right yet doesn't excuse other games in the same genre. Maybe it hasn't been done right because it's a stupid idea to force RPG-lite mechanics on top of a shooter-style game? Maybe ME2 had the right idea?
Just to point out, AP has a very good stealth element as an alternative to its average combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom