Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Din's Curse has Arrived

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Din's Curse

<a href="http://www.soldak.com/" target="blank">Steven Peeler</a> has an important announcement to share with the class.
<br>
<blockquote>Dallas, Texas, March 31, 2010 - Soldak Entertainment today announced the availability of the action RPG, Din's Curse, for Windows and Mac PCs.
<br>
<br>
Din's Curse is a single player and co-op multiplayer action RPG with 141 class combinations, infinite number of dynamically generated towns, real consequences, and a dynamic, evolving world.
<br>
<br>
Din's Curse can be purchased at:
<br>
http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Buy.html
<br>
<br>
Din, champion of the gods, has cursed you into a second life of service because you selfishly squandered your first one while causing misfortune to those around you. To redeem yourself, you must impress Din by building a reputation for helping others. Travel the spacious western plains of Aleria and save desperate towns from the brink of annihilation. Until you're redeemed, you're doomed to wander the earth alone for all eternity.
<br>
<br>
In Din's Curse, you will explore an extensive underground, slaying dangerous monsters, solving dynamic quests, dodging deadly traps, and in your spare time, plundering loot. Quell uprisings, flush out traitors, kill assassins, cure plagues, purge curses, end wars, and complete other dangerous quests or the danger WILL escalate. Not all is as it seems though, traitors will gladly stab you in the back, renegades can revolt against the town, spies can set up ambushes, and items might even curse or possess your friends.
<br>
<br>
Choose one of 141 class combinations and journey to an infinite number of dynamically generated towns with vastly different problems. Every game is a surprise! Your actions have real consequences in this dynamic, evolving world. Your choices actually matter!
<br>
<br>
Open the door to Din's Curse. Surprising adventures await!</blockquote>

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
*looks up from writing his preview* Wait...what?

I really need to learn to write faster. Less indepth? Blah!

Plenty. The game is a standard hack 'n slash but in two ways: a better, more interesting character system than most, and a living world that is both proactive and reactive. It's not exactly deep in C&C, but if you're warned that the monsters are about to raid the town and you ignore it, they will fuck the town up. Equally, killing one faction in a dungeon can result in another starting a revolt.
But there's a certain impermanence about towns since you're constantly leaping from town to town, so other than reputation hits, it won't bite too hard. I find the nomer "masochistic game" that some people applied to it to be a bit of misnomer.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
After trying the demo I'm slightly put off by that mechanic that takes you from town to town. At least in what I could see from the demo (where I completed the quests in the first town and leaped to the next), there's no real consequence to your actions other than being of a higher level (and monsters' levels being higher in consequence) and keeping your loot.

Does the game play this arc in a more satisfying manner? Are towns more fleshed out and interesting in the full game? Is there a point to advancing in the game other than becoming more powerful and killing more powerful things? Not that there's anything wrong with that, because I did have fun doing it, but it seems like there's some wasted potential there.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Meh, it's a roguelike pure and simple one town, one dungeon... I'd've been interested IF he had generated a random world + towns + dungeons, but he phailed...

(Torchilight + ODing on dwarf fortress sort of killed my interest pre-maturely... meh...)

[EDIT]
in dungeon crawls that is...
[/EDIT]

Thrasher

Erudite
Is the UI fixed from the demo? You could click and mouse over things that were behind windows. freak out...

ecliptic

Liturgist
I pre-ordered the beta and have been playing a bit. It's good fun, nothing blew me away, but it's a nice indie diablo-like time waster.

Nael

Arcane
curseOfEnfeeblement.jpg

Noddy

Augur
Reviewed anywhere? Or do i have to play the demo and have my own opinions?

reaven

Educated
I tried the demo, and it has a very interesting quest system, I'd say is one of the most important parts of the game, which makes it different from most hack&slash games. That said, I couldn't try the multiplayer which I'm sure makes the game much more fun because it feels really monotonous. Yeah its rather common in these games when you just smash mouse button 1, but the graphics doesn't help, all the dungeon looks alike and its pretty dark down there, even if you go starting torches it doesn't help much.
Oh and it has the stupid WOW inventory (single slot items + bags)
Its worth a try but its a bit expensive in my opinion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom