Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Spirit Engine 2 is Freeware

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: The Spirit Engine 2

Mark Pay has dropped the price tag from his side-scrolling indie RPG <b><a href="http://www.thespiritengine.com/tse2-info.html" target="blank">The Spirit Engine 2</a></b> and made it freeware. Download links can be found <a href="http://www.thespiritengine.com/tse2-download.php" target="blank">here</a>.
<br>
<ul><blockquote><li>An extensive plot spanning nine distinct chapters. History is unravelling in the once peaceful state of Lereftain. Murderous cults are running unchecked through the streets, parliament is bickering, tension is building with old enemies in the west and the country's inhuman rulers seem to be losing control of the situation. Three citizens who find their paths crossing in an act of charity one dark night will find themselves burdened with the responsibilty of not only defending the nation but deciding whether to save civilisation as they know it.</li>
<br>
<li>All new and improved original graphics. Simple yet effective new effects, including parallax scrolling and screen-shake.</li>
<br>
<li>The introduction of something sorely missing from the original - difficulty levels! Play at a level to suit you and either lock it there or feel free to change it as and when you like.</li>
<br>
<li>An improved real-time combat system which builds upon the simplicity of the original. With an improved interface, greater control over characters, combat speed options and action synchronisation controls to make battles more tactical and more fun.</li>
<br>
<li>New game combat mechanics such as automatic character recovery, party chains and combination strike damage bonuses.</li>
<br>
<li>New, varied character skills to play with, including targetted attacks and debuffs, and a whole host of crafty, unfriendly creatures to use them on.</li>
<br>
<li>A vast stock of equipable items with new abilities. </li></blockquote></ul>
<br>
In before "since when does the Codex cover JRPGS"
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.indiegames.com/blog/">IndieGames</A>

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game seemed to be very good to me, with some replayability, until it simply became too frustrating without grinding for hours... so yeah, pretty much a jRPG.

Petrell

Educated
Konjad said:
Is this game a cRPG?

It's not western style cRPG (Torment, Baldur's Gate and the like), it's Japanese style cRPG. Difference is that generally that jRPG's emphasise combat and stat building and western cRPG's generally emphasise the story elements. jRPG's are also more suitable for consoles in general as their roots come from consoles.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So guys I need a review: is it good for what it is or actually good? Free games always excite me.

Erebus

Arcane
Good for what it is, but hardly a must-play. From what I can tell, the game is almost completely linear, which gets annoying quickly.

The combat is okay, but not extremely entertaining. The story seems to be okay. The background art is nice. I find the characters rather good (unusually for such a game, most of them seem to be above 30).

Black Cat

Magister
I tried either this one or the prequel some time ago, i thinkity think. Wasn't this the one you can make a party of three catholic priests with shotguns? It ran like total bleep in the notebook i had back then, though. That was one really crappy notebook, nya.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
What the hell. Emo gets banned and black cat is still around?

Self ban initiatied. Fuch yeah!

Koby

Scholar
the hive mind said:
...jrpg...
I'm really happy for you and imma let you finish but i still want to

1) hear opinions of people how actually use it
2) know if any anyone played a games they consider half decent that was made by this engine

Koby said:
know if any anyone played a games they consider half decent that was made by this engine
It's a game, not an engine. Too dumb to check the link? What a dumbass, FFS.

Koby

Scholar
Droog White Smile said:
Koby said:
know if any anyone played a games they consider half decent that was made by this engine
It's a game, not an engine. Too dumb to check the link? What a dumbass, FFS.
Hah! I'm so lazy it has is reached dumbass proportions.

Erebus

Arcane
I've given up on the game. The story and characters are really interesting and the art is good, but the linearity is unbearable and the fights are repetitive and annoying.

Zeus

Cipher
Malakal said:
So guys I need a review: is it good for what it is or actually good? Free games always excite me.

http://www.gametunnel.com/the-spirit-en ... review.php

Many indie RPGs have crossed my desk; most are forgettable, many simply aren't fun, and none have approached greatness. TSE2 has finally changed that for me. Functionally, TSE2 is a side scrolling RPG where you control a small party of adventurers who unexpectedly cross paths after a sinister cult starts murdering civilians. You can purchase items in shops, converse with each other and various NPCs, and allocate stat points earned in battle. The battles are turn-based, in that each party member has a timer that controls when they will execute the current command in their chain, which you can alter on the fly. There are some interesting mechanics here, including the skill chains, auto-resurrections (for your party AND enemies) and so many stats, weaknesses, and immunities, that it may seem overwhelming at first. After a few battles, however, it should start to click, and strategies begin to form around your party's abilities and the various enemies you face.

Visually, TSE2 has a very cohesive style, despite lo-res graphics and simple animations (which take little away from the overall game.) The soundtrack is phenomenal; the music felt right at every moment, and it really helped to fulfill the total experience. There is a lot of dialogue, but it can be skipped. Although the story isn't the most original, it has plenty of unique, well thought-out plot points, and the world simply made sense. The game does suffer from extreme linearity and an often brutal difficulty, but everything else is so masterfully executed that you should plan on being enthralled for hours.

My brother was into the original game. The battle system really sets it apart. I'm going to try this one as soon as I get the time to beat TSE1 (also freeware).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The combat is really shitty, but it's fucking impressive making this game in multimedia fusion.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Black Cat said:
Wasn't this the one you can make a party of three catholic priests with shotguns?

My interest has suddenly increased 20 points.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom