Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Zenimax (Bethesda's parents) looking to buy Valve?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks

According to EuroGame, <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digital-survival-article?page=2">Zenimax (owners of Bethesda) are on the acquisiton path</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>However, it's also worth watching closely what happens to Steam in the coming months. Unconfirmed industry scuttlebutt suggests that Zenimax - the parent company of Bethesda, which made headlines back in June when it acquired legendary PC studio id Software - is still on the acquisition trail, and has been making eyes at Half-Life creators Valve across the bar.
<br>
<br>
Whether Bethesda, a hybrid developer/publisher itself, would want to keep Steam on board, or spin it out to a third party, is unclear - as are many other aspects of a potential deal which would once again raise the awkward question of who, exactly, owns which parts of the Half-Life and Counter-Strike IPs.
<br>
<br>
Either way, however, it suggests that both Metaboli and Steam - two of the three biggest names in digital distribution - are potentially going to change hands in the coming months. How the landscape looks after those changes could have a powerful impact on which games retail brands survive the coming changes in the industry.</blockquote>
<br>
At least it'd fit in with the FPS companies they already have.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Dandelion</b>!

racofer

Thread Incliner
Not that I really care though. Two great evils swallowing each other is a common practice on business survivability.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Personally, I'm amazed that Zenimax would consider purchasing Valve and NOT leave Steam in their hands. Other than the Half-Life IP, it's kind of the Valve's cash cow. Than again, I'm not sure of the specifics of how such a merger would work, nor of the extent of sub-contracting the Valve does when it comes to Steam's management.

Zyrxil

Scholar
Zenimax is just a shell corp that Bethesda founded and gave a bunch of Bethesda stock to. There's no real parent corporation there, they don't have the cash to buy another dev as big or bigger than they are.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
Speaking of Valve, they have been lazy recently... where the fuck is Episode 3? They need to finish the HL2 storyline.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
BlitzKitchen said:
Speaking of Valve, they have been lazy recently... where the fuck is Episode 3? They need to finish the HL2 storyline.
Corporal Shephard suddenly teleports in and smothers Gordon to death with his gasmask. The end. There, saved you some money.

BlitzKitchen said:

I remember laughing at the 'episodic' content when it was first imagined, and thought it would take forever for these episodes to come out.

Lemunde

Scholar
I don't see how they could possibly afford Valve. id's a big company but it didn't have nearly as many IPs and services that Valve does. Add to that that Valve is sitting pretty on their little cash cow called Steam. It's going to take a LOT of money to get them to sell.

Luzur

Good Sir
Lemunde said:
I don't see how they could possibly afford Valve. id's a big company but it didn't have nearly as many IPs and services that Valve does. Add to that that Valve is sitting pretty on their little cash cow called Steam. It's going to take a LOT of money to get them to sell.

they would just release pre-orders on Oblivion 2 (console exclusive) or Fallout 4 to get the needed cash.

Syraxis

Novice
Blackadder said:
BlitzKitchen said:

I remember laughing at the 'episodic' content when it was first imagined, and thought it would take forever for these episodes to come out.

I remember when Valve said that the episodes would come out within six months of each other.

Obvious responses from a butt-fucked community.

These blatant, fat-witted attacks on developers and publishers simply because of the anal indifference over perspective and over the Grandpa-Revolution's so-called "Quality Standards" for a genre that for some stupendous reason needs to remain and retain archaic comforts, is blatantly ignoring relevant facts: Valve and Bethesda = Quality games.

Even if I drop myself to "Codex Standards" and embrace the penile, overrated statement that Besthesda produces "shitty" games for the RPG genre by using the FPP element, Valve's undeniable quality control and standards for these FPS games is going to bring that so-called "shitty" quality of Bethesda up.

But this will not be for the Codex: Around every corner lies a penile attempt from a retard-saturated, homo-conglomerate community who's existance is based on perverted, unfounded, half-assed statements and who's only means of sodomize comfort comes from ancient dildo's and vibrators.

This community's fall, beating, raping and ultimate sterilization will be a joy to be hold!

Luzur

Good Sir
Collar Grabber said:

These blatant, fat-witted attacks on developers and publishers simply because of the anal indifference over perspective and over the Grandpa-Revolution's so-called "Quality Standards" for a genre that for some stupendous reason needs to remain and retain archaic comforts, is blatantly ignoring relevant facts: Valve and Bethesda = Quality games.

Even if I drop myself to "Codex Standards" and embrace the penile, overrated statement that Besthesda produces "shitty" games for the RPG genre by using the FPP element, Valve's undeniable quality control and standards for these FPS games is going to bring that so-called "shitty" quality of Bethesda up.

But this will not be for the Codex: Around every corner lies a penile attempt from a retard-saturated, homo-conglomerate community who's existance is based on perverted, unfounded, half-assed statements and who's only means of sodomize comfort comes from ancient dildo's and vibrators.

This community's fall, beating, raping and ultimate sterilization will be joy to be hold!

370573%20-%20Gordon_Freeman%20Half-life%20Halo%20Master_Chief%20Rule_63.png

is this better then?

Thrasher

Erudite
This would be very bad for the industry and consumers. There should be a law against aquisitions in the same vein as anti-trust laws.

Collar Grabber said:

This community's fall, beating, raping and ultimate sterilization will be a joy to be hold!

guys i think he called us gay

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom