Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torchlight

Multi-headed Cow

Apparently there have been news posts, but no forum thread yet. So here we go.
http://www.torchlightgame.com/

Anyone else picking this up? Fate was a quite decent dungeon crawler, and this is by the same guy+more people+larger budget+MATT UELMEN MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Only $20 so I'm thinking what the hell. Also going to include a pretty good looking editor so hopefully there will be some decent mods for it.

Discuss!!!

getter77

Augur
Put in a Steam pre-order for $18. Cool looking game plus a robust looking editor made it an easy call at that price especially.

Yeesh

Magister
I greatly anticipate this, especially with the $20 price. Even greater is my regret that it's not multiplayer, but I know they have some ambitious plans in that direction later.

I've realized that for me these games live and die by their itemization almost as much as by their gameplay, since it's all about the l00ts. I'm very interested to see if they've struck a good balance. I think Diablo II did a super mega best ever job on itemization, whereas I think Fate did a crummy one. So I'm keen to see how this one stacks up.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Single player Diablo clone? I'm interested.

Edit: trailers and screenshots look cool. I dearly hope it'll be a fun action dungeon crawler and that they won't fudge it up. I also hope that it will have quests randomly chosen from a list like Diablo.

Multi-headed Cow

I don't know if they have quests randomly chosen, but apparently they're doing a kind of cool sounding "Randomly hand-made" dungeons. They make chunks of dungeon themselves in the editor for cool designs, traps, secrets (This does have secrets in it apparently) and suchlike, and then the game randomly sticks chunks together.

There's the worry of "Oh, well then I'll recognize chunks!", but that happens in most randomized games anyway, where you recognize the randomizer going in a certain direction. This could be particularly cool, especially if fans make some good "Base game expansion" type mods with more randomized dungeon chunks and monsters and items and crap.

Got it all preordered on Steam and I'm looking forward to it quite a bit. Especially since it seems to reward playing through again with new characters more than continually leveling a single character higher and higher, though you can do that if you want. I kind of miss the days of Diablo 1 where I would get a decent enough challenge just playing through once with a character, then start with a new character entirely. And from what I've heard about this thus far, it should be more challenging than D2 on normal difficulty, which is good.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Sounds good, especially the bit about the difficulty. I was disapointed by the overall ease of D2 while D1 would put you against strong foes from the start, and maybe have you encounter behemoths like The Butcher or King Leoric. I might be wrong but it kinda looks like they want to capture what made the first Diablo great without going the way of the sequel and its multitude of clones.

Seems like it'll be possible to buy it from them. That's good, because I was afraid it would be Steam only.

Multi-headed Cow

Word of warning, if you buy from them, you get limited activations. If you buy from Steam, apparently you just get Steam DRM which is less offensive in my opinion. No idea yet if Impulse is going to carry the game and if so, what DRM they'll have on it.

Norfleet

Gragt said:
Sounds good, especially the bit about the difficulty. I was disapointed by the overall ease of D2 while D1 would put you against strong foes from the start, and maybe have you encounter behemoths like The Butcher or King Leoric.
Yeah, but King Leoric was much later and much easier, and the Butcher was basically a trick boss.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Multi-headed Cow said:
Word of warning, if you buy from them, you get limited activations. If you buy from Steam, apparently you just get Steam DRM which is less offensive in my opinion. No idea yet if Impulse is going to carry the game and if so, what DRM they'll have on it.

Fuck. I dislike activations and Steam. Seems GamersGate will carry it though, and I wonder if they will carry that kind of stuff.

Norfleet said:
Yeah, but King Leoric was much later and much easier, and the Butcher was basically a trick boss.

It's true that you can trap The Butcher and shoot him from behind a grid but a first time player probably doesn't know that — I certainly didn't. Leoric is a bit easier because you encounter him later but he still got an army of skeletons, but a staff of Holy Bolt definitely makes the encounter easier.

Multi-headed Cow

This has been the freakiest fucking year for game ordering for me. I normally never ever ever preorder games, but this year I've preordered Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age (Got a deal to preorder both for half price with free overnight shipping), Majesty 2 (Wanted it, and preordering snagged me Majesty 1 on Steam which I kind of wanted for CD-free playing), Left 4 Dead 2 (Got in on one of the 4 pack 10% off deals so it was $34), and now Torchlight.

I'm turning into a monster. A toupee wearing monster.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
So I have been playing Fate: The Traitor Soul. I like the additions they have made to the original game. It's bigger, has more items, and some small tweaks here and there that make it a tighter experience.

How is The Traitor Soul different from Undiscovered Realms?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
phanboy_iv said:
The guys behind it are pretty much the action RPG/Diablo-like dream team.

It looks like it but the problem with that kind of thing is that it often turns sour. It was supposed to be the same with Hellgate: London, the people who did System Shock 2 couldn't botch Bioshock, etc.

I didn't follow Torchlight at all but the more I read about it, the more interested I become. But I won't let my enthusiasm cloud my judgement.

Multi-headed Cow

Dyspaire said:
Mmmmmm.... new Matt Uelmen music. That alone is worth $20.
He also did a lot of the sound work in the game apparently. And the little bits I've heard of the sound seem really crisp and good.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Gragt said:
Multi-headed Cow said:

Fuck. I dislike activations and Steam. Seems GamersGate will carry it though, and I wonder if they will carry that kind of stuff.
GamersGate uses securom for most titles these days.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Bah. If the game is good and I want it, I guess I'll just get it from the developper and accept the activation thingy. Can't be worse than Steam.

Im interested. I just hope its fast paced. I think thats my main complaint with diablo clones, they have an annoying tendency to be too slow, even compared to the original where you could only walk around. editor sounds good too, im interested to see what a motivated community with the right tools could do with what's basically a 3d rogue like generator.

i guess my only question is if there is a demo. looking at the faq it says, so, i hope it comes out this week.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Dirk Diggler said:
Gragt said:
Multi-headed Cow said:

GamersGate uses securom for most titles these days.

GamersGate didn't use anything themselves last time I checked. Just whatever the publisher was already using.

Occasionally Fatal said:
Im interested. I just hope its fast paced. I think thats my main complaint with diablo clones, they have an annoying tendency to be too slow, even compared to the original where you could only walk around. editor sounds good too, im interested to see what a motivated community with the right tools could do with what's basically a 3d rogue like generator.

i guess my only question is if there is a demo. looking at the faq it says, so, i hope it comes out this week.

There's plenty of gameplay vids that give you a really good idea of what the game is going to look like.

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, there's going to be a demo. Supposedly on the same day as release, since the whole game will be included in the demo and you just activate it via a key.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hmm. The game seems to have a rather elaborate editor so players can make new items, monsters, maps(?) and shit, but there's only 3 different classes to play with and no online.
I'm on the fence with this, but the lack of online really hurts.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Hobo Elf said:
Hmm. The game seems to have a rather elaborate editor so players can make new items, monsters, maps(?) and shit, but there's only 3 different classes to play with and no online.
I'm on the fence with this, but the lack of online really hurts.

It's a half price game. $20 is indie territory. Seems like all told it's quite a lot of bang for your buck to me.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I don't mind the three classes as long as they play differently. Diablo has only three classes and it is fun to replay the game with a different one, although the changes aren't that big, consisting mostly of the attack speed with some types of weapons, a unique and mostly useless class skill, and different stats derived from attributes. Still each managed to feel different from the others. It seems Torchlight will use the classic skill trees from Diablo 2, and that's the kind of stuff that can really give a lot of variety within a single class.

I really hope that they got the best of Diablo and Diablo 2 for this game. Despite some problems of its own, Depths of Peril is the closest thing to Diablo I could find.

covr

Prophet
Patron
vazquez595654 said:
So I have been playing Fate: The Traitor Soul. I like the additions they have made to the original game. It's bigger, has more items, and some small tweaks here and there that make it a tighter experience.

How is The Traitor Soul different from Undiscovered Realms?

Downloaded The Traitor Soul today...and it's utter shit. Useless, badly designed skills, cartoonish graphics, awful character development, boring dungeons. It is really a bad game.

And TTS is rather add-on for Undiscovered Realms, it contains all content from UR.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom