Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Review by CDA - scans

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Here they are, as promised.

Sorry for no translation but, I have to go now and won't be back in 5 hours, I'm sure someone other will do it for me :lazy:

96614047.jpg

77870804.jpg

38280671.jpg

45678772.jpg

39679459.jpg

Although I don't understand those two minuses at the end-score :?

:rpgcodex:

Multi-headed Cow

Is that a giant fatty tit tentacle beast in one of the pictures? Because it looks like a tower of breasts with tentacles, and I don't have enough faith in Dragon Age to believe it isn't what it looks like.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Well, the pros and cons are as follows:

+
Heavily branching story
Atmosphere
Combat
Lots of possible character builds
Lots of hours of gameplay

-
It looks kinda old-school (I suppose they mean the graphics?)
Some of the fights can give a hard time, even at the lowest difficulty.

I'll try posting a translated synopsis after I get the mag today, 'cause reading the scan is painful on the eyes.

Multi-headed Cow

Difficult combat? I think my dick just fluttered a little.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Trash said:
Could someone provide some highlights of the review? Did they also give an 8 because the game is too oldskool or am I mistaken?
They gave it because it looks too oldschool, which means shitty graphics. They also claim that fights ar too tough even on low difficulty level.

EDIT
Damn, for them DA is da hardcorez. Nice.

Darth Roxor said:
Well, the pros and cons are as follows:

+
Heavily branching story
Atmosphere
Combat

-

I'll try posting a translated synopsis after I get the mag today, 'cause reading the scan is painful on the eyes.

So they subtracted points because they think it's *too* much like old-school RPGs in look, feel, and difficulty?

On the one hand, it bolsters my interest in the game...on the other hand, I want these guys gaming hands lopped off. Let them game with their tongues.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yup, apparently it's all fine and dandy when shit is old school, as long as it's decently casual, eh?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Fights that are too hard and looks that are too oldskool? Perhaps it really is another BG game.

Dunno, will probably "demo" it first to try it out. Bioware games have always entertained me, but even to me the fight videos seemed lame and the cinematic stuff looked moronic. Still, I'm moderately optimistic. Any game with towering tentacle beasts in it must be given a chance imo.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Darth Roxor said:
Heavily branching story
Atmosphere
Combat

That's interesting. Actual choices and consequences this time?

edit: I like how the dragon symbol looks like it is drawn in blood.

dragonfk

Erudite
Fucking tools. Lowering the score because of the difficulty. TOOLS I SAY!

I've read the whole article and they said that side quest are numerous and better than side quests in ME. They also mention that main plot is very good, but still sub par to Planescape. All in all seems like Bioware for the first time since BG2 have made a worthwhile game. Rejoice!

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
On the one hand, it bolsters my interest in the game...on the other hand, I want these guys gaming hands lopped off. Let them game with their tongues.
Multi-headed Cow said:
CD-Action + Bioware? 8+? That game has to suck really hard. Oh, and "oldschool look" means shit gfx.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

These 2 minuses makes me kind of want to play it.

Warden

Arbiter
bozia2012 said:
Oh, and "oldschool look" means shit gfx.

One of the things that bothers me about DA graphics is that trees in this game don't have shadows, if anyone has noticed. Indeed *very* old school.

dragonfk

Erudite
bozia2012 said:
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
CD-Action + Bioware? 8+? That game has to suck really hard. Oh, and "oldschool look" means shit gfx.

Not true. Or maybe it's true.

But I think they just expected a next-genish game and they received something else.
TBH I have a nagging to go to their forums and flame the reviewer.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I wouldn't be too harsh on CDA this time.
- Graphix are indeed subpar. Who seriously decided to cover your party with blood splatter? Maybe one of the guys who designed those fugly 3D models, no?
- On the "combatz ar 2 ard" part, I'm afraid it's more because of the tediousness of the system. Remember BG, who could claim combats were hard? but on the other hand who could claim they were enjoyable. With DA you only control one of your characters at a time but you're supposed to act with some tactics. Fuck , they didn't have the balls to implement a turn based system once again. That's what I tend to understand (biased, i know) when one of those kiddies throw "combat's too challenging, it gets boring, give me some action"

MetalCraze

Arcane
CrimsonAngel said:

These 2 minuses makes me kind of want to play it.

Except there won't be a challenging combat. Remember - game journalists (especially CDA ones - it's like paper IGN of Poland) mostly play games where you cannot die at all.
Also challenging != good if mechanics suck. It may just be that shitty and unbalanced twitchfest which knowing Bioware is how it will most likely be.

dragonfk

Erudite
Ogg said:
I wouldn't be too harsh on CDA this time.
- Graphix are indeed subpar. Who seriously decided to cover your party with blood splatter? Maybe one of the guys who designed those fugly 3D models, no?
- On the "combatz ar 2 ard" part, I'm afraid it's more because of the tediousness of the system. Remember BG, who could claim combats were hard? but on the other hand who could claim they were enjoyable. With DA you only control one of your characters at a time but you're supposed to act with some tactics. Fuck , they didn't have the balls to implement a turn based system once again. That's what I tend to understand (biased, i know) when one of those kiddies throw "combat's too challenging, it gets boring, give me some action"

The reviewer was very impressed by tactical planning. It's a feature that allows you to plan for every character what they should do given the adequate conditions are met. For an example: your mage can throw a fireball when you encounter more than three enemies.

MetalCraze

Arcane
dragonfk said:
The reviewer was very impressed by tactical planning. It's a feature that allows you to plan for every character what they should do given the adequate conditions are met. For an example: your mage can throw a fireball when you encounter more than three enemies.

Woah - you mean you actually have to script the obvious shit yourself that always was a part of an adequate AI before? I'm impressed too.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
MetalCraze said:
dragonfk said:

Woah - you mean you actually have to script the obvious shit yourself that always was a part of an adequate AI before? I'm impressed too.

:roll:

It may just be that shitty and unbalanced twitchfest which knowing Bioware is how it will most likely be.

its rtwp. At least know what you're bitching for bitching's sake.

dragonfk

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
dragonfk said:

No, you can rely on AI provided by developers, but this feature give you more customization options.

piydek

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
dragonfk said:

I'd much rather do those things myself than let the AI (no matter how adequate or inadequate it is) do it. Control over such things is vital to handling battles in different ways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom