Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian can't get Alpha Protocol out the door

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol

<a href="http://kotaku.com/5368298/retailers-point-to-alpha-protocol-delay">So sayeth Kotaku</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Recently updated ship dates from GameStop and Amazon.ca list Alpha Protocol for June 1 and June 30, 2010, respectively. Most online retailers still show the game due the last week of October of this year, but if two independent retailers are showing a delay, don't be surprised if others follow suit.
<br>
<br>
If those retail listings are accurate, it wouldn't be the first time Alpha Protocol has been pushed back. The game was penciled in for a release as early as February 2009. Perhaps Sega took some of Sony Computer Entertainment America's rumored comments about the game to heart?</blockquote>
<br>
It'll be finished when it's finished or it'll be released when it's no longer cost effective to keep delaying it or is it all LIES SPREAD BY COMMUNISTS?
<br>
<br>
If you want a debate, try <a href="http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Mass-Effect-2-Vs-Alpha-Protocol-Round-2-Replay-Factors-20070.html">Mass Effect 2 vs Alpha Protocol</a> at cinemablend:
<br>
<blockquote>BG – William: I’m not going to call it bias but I will say that based on what the original Mass Effect established the sequel is something that any RPG fan should be looking forward to. One reason is its massive scope on an epic story that’s actually worth replaying
<br>
[...]
<br>
l.m.h While the spy-based Role-Playing Game that is Alpha Protocol is suggested to offer a multitude of outcomes depending on player’s decisions, we are of course yet to see any of them. Little is yet known about exactly how players’ choices will affect not only the structure of the game, but the lead character himself.</blockquote>
<br>
Wankery BS ensues.
<br>
<br>
!gamebanshee & <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</a>

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Clockwork Knight said:
they can delay it until 2015 if that means a finished (and forgotten) game
Fixed. This game even now isn't very well known by the masses it's trying (and failing) to appeal to, by the time June 2010 comes around most will have already forgotten this dull ass game. :smug:

Black

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
BG – William: I’m not going to call it bias but I will say that based on what the original Mass Effect established the sequel is something that any RPG fan should be looking forward to.
I'm sure every RPG fan should fuck you in the ass with a spiked strap-on dildo while yelling "EPIC EPIC EPIC", you fucking cockgobbler

MetalCraze

Arcane
Kewl Kids think today that RPG is all about LARPing, making your character speak different phrases and changing character's haircut. On the Codex too. That's why Alpha Protocol is a RPG!

MetalCraze said:
Kewl Kids think today that RPG is all about LARPing, making your character speak different phrases and changing character's haircut. On the Codex too. That's why Alpha Protocol is a RPG!

Cool kids think it's cool to hate everything that isn't 100% to their tastes LOLOLOLOL

Deleted member 7219

janjetina said:
Ass protocol vs. Ass effect: which is better and why?

You're really mature aren't you?

"I said ass. HURRRRR!"

obediah

Erudite
Matt7895 said:
janjetina said:
Ass protocol vs. Ass effect: which is better and why?

You're really mature aren't you?

"I said ass. HURRRRR!"

Awesome - you're defending both games, while insulting the mouth-breathing potty humor both will utilize with great fucking ("heh", "heh") relish.

Murk

Arcane
Codex RPG of all the time: Jew furnace simulator.

Upgrade burning capacity to increase intake!
Use flames to power utilities to increase relations with towns located near your deathcamp!
As time goes on, adapt to emerging technologies - incorporate cleaner burning techniques to put less jew in atmosphere!
Choose to burn gypsies, retards, homosexuals, or slavs as well and watch as your geopolitical relations with this factions change!
Thousands of igniters and shovels that can be fully customized to truly make a unique experience!

See, character development and customization, a living world that changes and forces you to adapt or overcome, choices and consequences with factions and characters, and of course - historically accurate game world that has multiple endings depending on how you run your jewcinerator!

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
That sounds more fun than most games.

Alas, back on topic.

I have to wonder how Alpha Protocol will actually be. Also, who the hell wrote that it doesn't feel like an RPG anymore with regards to the sega SCEA meeting? Was it someone from Sony or Sega? And whom? The thing is, we have to take everything in context. Do they think an RPG is like the stuff the Japs make? What do they think makes an RPG? Choices and Consequences? Endless grinding and hacking? What.

franc kaos

Liturgist
SuicideBunny said:
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2009/09/27/alpha-protocol-preview/1
The available skills and abilities that you can learn go way beyond the basic selection offered in games such as Mass Effect, with the range edging more towards the Fallout end of the Official RPG Comparison Table. There are dozens of weapons and abilities to train yourself in and learn to base your gameplay style around – everything from shotguns and martial arts to lockpicking and manipulation.

Hur hur, he said Fallout... in comparison to AP

approach of the three most famous spies in the world. While there are extra options added in for most situations, the standard selection is the manipulating suaveness of James Bond, the brutal efficiency of Jason Bourne or the desperate aggression of Jack Bauer.

1) James Bond, 'You killed my whore. I'm going to kill you - once I've finished my martini.'
2) Jason Bourne, 'You killed that whore, you're a dead man walking.'
3) Jack Bauer, 'The whore is dead, we have 24 hours to stop something.' Shoots guy on way out.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I don't know who this Casey Loe-reviewer guy from some "Play" is but he just got respect++ in my book

Stealin' from another topic said:
These decisions do have interesting payoffs, but does having choices, a shop, and an experience-point system transform an action game into an RPG? I think not, and as a fan of both genres, it bothers me to hear Sega constantly pushing Alpha Protocol as something it's not. If Alpha Protocol is an RPG, then why is 95% of it's gameplay straight out of Metal Gear and Splinter Cell? Does a modicum of depth in an action game really transform it into an RPG? (And don't give me that 'well, you're playing a role' crap, because that's true of every game).

Alpha Protocol does break from the shooter archetype in offering a focus on player choices, well-written dialogue, and a compelling narrative. But why can't a third-person person shooter have things like that? Do we really think so little of shooters that any game is automatically excluded from the genre if it involves a few menus and some light reading?

It's too early to tell if Alpha Protocol's more inspired elements can mesh successfully with the shooter at its core, but I can tell you one thing with certainty-this is no RPG. Role-playing games are a notoriously difficult genre to define, but if the genre has one central pillar, it's a focus on strategy or exploration over reflex-driven action. A mission-based third-person shooter certainly doesn't qualify, even if it does have a well-written story, strong player customization options, and an interesting focus of choice.

A media-whore that is smarter than our local AP fanboy retards? Impossible!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom