Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play NetStorm!

catfood

AGAIN
Seeing how LP threads tend to spring out like mushrooms after rain, I decided to make one too. I picked this game because it's not so well known and I have played it for quite some time (but never beaten it!), so hopefully I'll get through the first 2 campaigns without too many problems.

Now the question on everybody's minds, lips, and keyboards is JUST WHAT THE FUCK IS NETSTORM??? Well, Netstorm is a hardcore (yes, I'm not using that word lightly) strategy game that came out back in 1997, or 1998 I don't remember which. The game has quite a convulted gistory which you can read here: http://www.netstormhq.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.31
The tl;dr version is this: When the demo was released it got hacked pretty quickly so lots of people got the full game without even buying it. It was a commercial flop, the developer (Titanic Entertainment) soon died and the puplisher (Activision) quit supporting it. After a while http://www.netstormhq.com was founded, a comunity that patched the game, created numerous user campaigns and most importantly they maintain servers for it. Why is it so important? Well the game IS called NETstorm so obviously the multiplayer is the main attraction. I haven't played a lot of multi, because I've never been that good at the game, but the few matches I have played were fun even if I got my ass handed quickly.

The game is now available as a free download from the site I just linked so you can try it out too!

DISCLAIMER: there is a 92.8% chance I will never finish this LP and not for the lack of motivation, but because the missions tend to get ridiculously hard in the 3rd campaign.
Netstorm has a unique gameplay so for the first mission I am going to take some time to explain the basics for you.

So enough yapping, more fap.. err playing.

activision.jpg

ACTIVISION SUCKS DURRR, but at least they let people offer their game free for download.

titanic.jpg

These guys are so dead, but it's probably a good thing. If they had survived they would have been assimilated by the borg anyway and would be making games for XBAWKS, PS3, PSP, DS, WII, MOBILE PHONE etc.

TE.jpg

I think this is the fan team but I'm not sure.

maintitle.jpg

Main title (duh). It has cool music and cool wind effects. When I played this 10+ years ago my 12 year old mind was blown away by the immershun that the game's graphics and sound offers. I still think it's one of the most atmospheric games out there.
The demo button is for 3 interactive rolling demos.

So let's click Campaign and begin.

mis1pic1.jpg

The mission debriefing. Dramatic, isn't it?
Let's also review our knowledge (tech) for this mission:

mis1pic2.jpg

(Paint fucked my image)
Looks like we can build a few. These are:

golem.jpg

The most basic transport in the game. They transport storm power (crystals), high priests and can use spells in multiplayer. You get them in every mission.

raingenerator.jpg

Rain generator! These provide energy that will power our units. This one provides rain energy DUH. More on that later. There are also 2 more generators in the game: wind and thunder which provide their respective energy types. They are the most important unit for obvious reasons.

suncannon.jpg

Sun cannon! An attacking unit. It shoots cannon balls as you might expect. It's pretty average unit, however it's quite cheap at only 400 crystal.

whirlibase.jpg

and
whirligig.jpg

These two go together. You will see how they work in a minute.

Ok so now that we're done with tech, let's start getting the moneyz.

mis1pic3.jpg

We start off by building some golems and sending them to harvest those geysers for crystals. We also send our high priest to build a workshop which will allow us to build units.

Not let's talk a bit about the high priest. He is your alter ego. If he dies it's game over. High priests are the only units that can build building i.e. temples, workshops, altars and in multiplayer also outposts. They don't die when their hp reach zero, instead they get a golden aura around them which makes unable to take any action, however they will return back to normal after a short while. In this phase they are vulnerable to transports who will capture them and bring them back to an altar to be sacrificed. Basically this is the whole idea of the game: capture high priests and sacrifice them. It's a lot harder than it sounds.

mis1pic4.jpg

So now we get to put the knowledge into production. We add cannon and generator.

mis1pic5.jpg

I also wanted to add a whirligig but i can't because I don't have a free tech slot. So we upgrade our workshop to level 2 which gives us another tech slot. Workshops work like this: they start with 2 slots, and they get 1 more slot if you upgrade it. They can only be upgraded twice. So in an essence a workshop can only host 4 units. If you want more units you have to build more workshops which cost more money and take up more space (THIS IS IMPORTANT). We only have the sun workshop so we can only build a few sun units.

mis1pic6.jpg

I connected some geysers with bridges. Bridging is one of the most important skills to learn in Netstorm. You need to bridge both fast and in an efficient manner because it is the most powerfull weapon, but more of that in mission 3. Also bridging is free.

Now that we will have a steady supply of income let's attack!
PS: I forgot to mention that each geyser holds 3000 storm power.

mis1pic7.jpg

First we place a generator that will power our units. The snowflakes denote its area of coverage. A unit can not be built unless it has sufficeient energy from generator (so some units require more than 1 energy), however if a generator is destroyed after the unit has been built the unit continues to operate on normal

mis1pic8.jpg

Next to place our first attacker. Note that the stars denote the area in which it can attack. Obviously it can only attack N,S,W,E so it's vulnerable from the other sides, plus its range isn't too good but it's better than that of the enemy's units.
Most units are immobile so you have to take some things into consideration before placing them such as will it reach enemy units? will enemy units reach it? and so on. In a way it's like chess except you can't move the pieces.

mis1pic9.jpg

I build some bridges and build some buildings on their ends. You can only build buildings on the ends. Note how I need to build another generator because the whirlibase requires 2 energy.

mis1pic10.jpg

Some moar units to get this over with quicker. The enemy doesent' have a workshop in this mission so he can't build any units except for golems.
Those whirlibases each builds one whirligig for free, and that whirligig is the actual attacker. Only 3 aerial units may attack something at a time, and these whirligigs can't attack transports or high priests. Once an aerial unit is destroyed, the base builds another for free. If the base is destroyed, the aerial unit dies soon after. Whirligigs need to return to base from time to time to refuel.

mis1pic11.jpg

Almost there. As you can see temples generate 1 unit of energy too depending on which fury it worships.
I forgot to talk about temples. They are the most important building. They denote ownership of an island so you can build units on it and is also the drop off point for crystals. Temples can be rebuilt if needed but they cost a LOT of crystals (5000!)

mis1pic12.jpg

BOOM! The blast from the temple also damaged the enemy high priest for him to be imobilized. Time to send a golem to set him.

mis1pic14.jpg

Gotcha!
Now to get sacrificin' :cool:
Our priest needs to conduct a ritual first which takes time.
We also build some units on his island because without ownership the island is considered neutral can be freely be built on. I also build the altar right on his island just to laugh in his 1 pixel face.

forthewind.jpg

For the Wind.

forthesun.jpg

For the Sun.

fortherain.jpg

For the Rain.

forthethunder.jpg

For the Thunder.

forthethunder.jpg

For the Storm.

mis1NOOO.jpg

It is done!
Enemy Priest: AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!111ONE

mis1success.jpg

Great success!
20080328nerdcast15.jpg

victory.gif

FACT: This screen never appears in the game. I found it in it's data folders.

So that's it for mission one. It's piss easy but that's ok because it allowed me explain most of the things to know.

PS: the typos will be fixed later in the day.

Hory

Erudite
This is a creative, thrilling and challenging game. A must-play.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Yep. I played the demo religiously and never could find a copy to buy. It was pretty amazing.

I've toyed around with it for three hours in total today, and i simply cannot understand how one is suposed to get past the last mission in the first campaign. It's like getting raped over and over again oh god itz heavan... Cough... I like this game.

You'll have my respect and then some if you manage to get past that in one go and that's a promise.

catfood

AGAIN
Stereotypical Villain said:
I've toyed around with it for three hours in total today, and i simply cannot understand how one is suposed to get past the last mission in the first campaign. It's like getting raped over and over again oh god itz heavan... Cough... I like this game.

You'll have my respect and then some if you manage to get past that in one go and that's a promise.

Yea that one is a bitch, it took me many tries before I finished it. Anyway you're pretty good at this game it seems if you got so far in only a few hours. I expected mission 5 to be more of a problem.

Marquis De Man O' War? He wasn't that hard once i blocked off his access to my flank and then flanked him. - Thanks.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

catfood

AGAIN
Welcome back y'all!

Today I'll be doing mission 2 obviously. It's an easy mission so this will be a short update.

mis2pic1.jpg

So this time we're up against teh Mastar of Whirligigs.

Let's view what goodies we have in this mission:

mis2pic2.jpg

Cool, a new toy!

sundiscthrower.jpg

Sun Disc Thrower! It's mostlty a anti air unit but it can also be used in defense since it can fire in a circle so it can hit units but at the same time can stay away from harm. It's also the cheapest attacker in the game (300).

mis2pic3.jpg

We build a workshop, transporters and capture as many geysers as we can. The enemy is already on the move but can't reach us yet.

mis2pic4.jpg

I put all my knowledge in production and start my own offensive.

mis2pic5.jpg

Whirligigs don't stand a chance against disc throwers and are obliterated in a stylish explosion.

mis2pic6.jpg

We're start attacking his temple as well.

mis2pic7.jpg

We're in full gear now with four cannons attacking the temple. We're almost out of money but it doesen't matter

mis2pic8.jpg

It colapses soon after. As you can see, destroying units and buildings gives us resrouces. This is important on maps where geysers are scares. SPOILAR like mission 4 /SPOILAR

mis2pic9.jpg

We invade his island and will wipe out the rest of his remaining forces. Meanwhile that lone golem captures the priest and is on his way to our home island.

I AM SORRY ABOUT THE NEXT PICS BUT DON'T BLAME ME BLAME MICROSOFT AND ITS SHITTY SOFTWARE OK

mis2pic10.jpg

We build the altar and get ready for sacrifice MUAHAHAHAHAHA

mis2pic11.jpg

This is all what's left our enemy's island.

mis2NOOO.jpg

The Furies are pleased with our offering.

mis2success.jpg

That's right. Who's the master NOW, bitch?

Well this was short as I said but from now on they will be longer I think. The difficulty level sky rocketsfrom mission 3 onwards.

The training wheels are off.
training-wheels.jpg

catfood

AGAIN
Welcome back boys and trannies!

Mission 3 is where the game REALLY starts. It's a huge bump in the difficulty level and new players often get stuck on it for some time.

Let's begin.

mis3pic1.jpg

Save the island indeed. For the time being it's quite safe, but that can change in a matter of seconds.

mis3pic2.jpg

We also have a new unit, the:

stonetower.jpg

Like in other strategy games, towers are defensive structures. But unlike other strategy games they don't have any sort of attack. Instead they are damage absorbers, putting them between the enemy and things you want to protect. This is the most basic tower with some good hitpoints and cheap cost. We won't be using it in this mission. It has a nice flavor text in that help file.

Speaking of the flavor text, there's a Romanian legend about a mason called Manole who was trying to build a church. Unfortunately every time he finished it, it colapsed during the night and he had to start over many times until one day he gets a dream or something (I forgot the details) in which he is told he must brick his wife in so that it would give the walls the needed strength. Needles to say it worked. Crazy stuff, I know.

mis3pic3.jpg

So here's the situation: WE ARE FUCKED!! See those buildings with the beam between them? If one of them is destroyed the beam which acts as a force field against enemy fire will be gone and us too soon afterwards. Protecting them are stone towers but we shouldn't rely on them.

We will also be sort of money initially, mainly because there are really only 2 geysers we can mine. We'll have to use other methods of getting money, which I will be showing soon.

mis3pic4.jpg

Those dragon-head shaped thingies have the highest damage and highest range of all attackers in the game. They are dangerous with a capital D. Too bad for us he has a lot of them too.

mis3pic5.jpg

Money is a problem in this mission, at least initially. I won't be using any transports in an attempt to save as much crystals as possible. Our priest is one hell of a dodger. But one hit from those cannons and he is instantly immobilised. If that happens it's pretty much game over.

I thought everything will be going smoothly but then all of a sudden

FFFFFUUUUU.jpg

I just notcied that a tower has been destroyed by a lone thunder cannon on the other island. I was about to call it quits but I noticed that the cannon was juuuust out of range of my sun barricade. Phew talk about dumb luck. I need to constantly watch that place

mis3pic6.jpg

I build some whirlibases since they have large range and they can stay out of harms way. The damage the whirligigs do is small but at least they are replenishible.

mis3pic7.jpg

I build 2 more when I discover that one of the thunder cannons on the other side can manage to hit the gigs. I do this just to speed things up. While I was away bridging our enemy promptly built a disc thrower to stop our air assault. I built a sun cannon above it, and after I destroyed the trhower I salvaged my cannon before it got hit by enemy fire. You can salvage units and you get 25% of the money back, however the more damaged it is the less money you get.

mis3pic8.jpg

Remember back in my first post when I mentioned that bridges are the most powerful weapon? Well now you can see why. Surrounding the islands with bridges so they can't expand is the most used, and best, tactic in the game. It is why I said that mastering bridge building is important. To those who don't know, pressing E will let you quickly select the next bridge piece.

mis3pic9.jpg

Just another shot of the battlefield. Note the scrap in the upper right corner from my sun cannon after I salvaged it. It would have been destroyed by the upper left most thunder cannon. I set the timer to appear too.

mis3pic10.jpg

Just to speed up our destruction I build a couple more sun cannons. I forgot to mention you get money for destroying units.

mis3pic11.jpg

Now to start our assault of his island. Initially I thught that building sun cannons below his thunder cannons would be a waste of resources but it turns out I got a lot of money out of the deal after they were destroyed.

mis3pic12.jpg

Yup, we cleaned up real good. Note the lone floating bridge piece.

mis3pic13.jpg

I decide to attack his workshop too just to be sure he doesen't build any more of those annoying dragon heads. He hopelessly tries to hold of our attack with some disc throwers. I just point and laugh at him.

mis3pic14.jpg

The fucker tries to build another thunder workshop but I have a surprise for him. Note that I'm getting ready to capture him with that golem.

mis3pic15.jpg

It worked. That disc thrower that I placed there one shot him and he is now a ripe little priest ready to get sacrificed.

mis3pic16.jpg

I get the fuck out of there ASAP! I salvaged the workshop in order to make room for the altar. I could have made it outside the barriers but I chose to play it safe. Note that now I don't have any buildings in the production que.

mis3NOOO.jpg

The ritual is complete, and furies are pleased. So am I! I remember waaaaaaayyy back when I played the demo those many years ago that i finally managed to capture the enemy priest and put him on the altar. My priest had finished the ritual but during the animation the enemy managed to break through my barricade and instantly destroy the altar in the last second. That was the first time I wrecked a keyboard out of frustration. Ah, memories....

mis3success.jpg

That's it for mission 3. Another glorious victory.

From now on I will be keeping track of how many tries a mission is going to take, just to keep it a bit interesting. This particular one took only one try.

That's the mission i got stuck on for quite a while when i was a kid... Ah...

I guess the resource collection mission is next? Good luck, patriot. :salute:

catfood

AGAIN
Thanks. It's finished and now I only have to upload the pics and post them.

Did you finish the sixth mission afterall?

Trithne

Erudite
Bump for netstorm. I really need to get back into that, but in multiplayer the bridgespam is too much.

catfood

AGAIN
Welcum back everyone!

Mission 4 has a thing in common with the previous one in that resources are off limits to you, and we will have to use other means of getting crystals (read: destroying enemy units).

Let's get this show on the road.

mis4pic1.jpg

The briefing states we should use cannons to intercept the enemy golems while they gather storm power bla bla bla. We aren't going to do that. That doesen't bring us any money, and money is scarce resource here.

mis4pic2.jpg

New transport for us yay!

baloon.jpg

Baloon! I love balloons.. I don't know why, maybe because they are cute. They cost twice as much as golems however they are twice as resistant, being able to take 2 shots from a sun disc thrower. Plus you don't have to build bridges to gather resources. They are also preferable to capturing high priests since they be directed to avoid contact with enemy units.

mis4pic3.jpg

I send my balloons to harvest that lone geyser. Each geyser has 3000 crystals FYI. That won't be enough to get us through this mission.

mis4pic4.jpg

Motherfucker quickly builds a disc thrower to guard that geyser, that sonofabitch!

mis4pic5.jpg

I keep my ballons at a safe distance while I build a cannon to kill off the disc thrower. A cannon costs 400, but that geyser has 1000 left so the extra 600 is worth it. Not to mention you get another 100 for salvaging the cannon.

mis4pic6.jpg

While away bridging I forget about my balloons who charge directly into enemy lines to head for that juicy geyser patch. In this screen it seems that 3 of them managed to escape, but the rightmost one will get fried by a last voley of discs.

mis4pic7.jpg

Time to take care of that patch of disc throwers. The enemy manages to sneak on by our cannons however it poses no real threat to us. That's right little flaming people RUN AWAY IN FEAR!

mis4pic8.jpg

I didn't even bother sending out my balloon again to mine that geyser patch even though I cleared the way. The enemy would have built some discs there just to defend it.

mis4pic9.jpg

Instead I head directly for his workshop, while keeping a safe distance behind a wall of bridges.

mis4pic10.jpg

I also attack his temple just to be thorough. His workshop has 1 or 2 hits left.

mis4pic11.jpg

The high priest tries to build another but is caught by a volley of cannonballs. He is now ripe for picking. I had to be pretty quick about it too since once he reached 0 hp, my cannons stopped attacking him and concentrated all the fire on the newly built workshop. If I hadn't been quick with a balloon he would have surely escape.

mis4pic12.jpg

His temple is destroyed.

mis4pic13.jpg

I'd like to ride the skies on one of those balloons too, except I wouldn't want to be sacrificed to the Furies.

mis4pic14.jpg

I invade his island just because I now have too much money on me. Note on the left that my production bar is full. I didn't need to research stone towers and balloon but I put them in for completion's sake.

mis4NOOO.jpg

We watch the cool animation as the enemy priest's life force is being consumed by the Furies. I made that up, yes.

mis4success.jpg

Yay! Another mission accomplished by yours truly. B) Prince of wind? Moar like Prince of Windbag amirirte?

Tries taken: 1
Yea I didn't expect to have problems in this mission and it turns out everything went smoothly. The next missions however are an entirely different story...

catfood said:
Did you finish the sixth mission afterall?

Njet, comrade. I gave it four more tries a day ago, but then i had to stop because i had other things to do. - I'll try it again when i have time.

Edit: You did well in killing off that resource hogging bastard swiftly... Marquis De Man O' War won't be much of a challange for you, but i wish you luck none the less.

Trithne

Erudite
catfood said:
Trithne said:
Bump for netstorm. I really need to get back into that, but in multiplayer the bridgespam is too much.

Don't forget Xbow spam. :wink:

Oh god, the Crossbows.
I'm going to sit in the corner and cry myself to sleep now.

catfood

AGAIN
Aaaaannnnd we're back with yet another update of Let's PLay NetStorm!

Mission 5 used to a problem first time I played the game and I think I know why. In the old version geysers only had 2000 crystals, while with the new patch they hold 3000. It's possible that the extra 1000 might have helped me through the mission. Or maybe I just got better than when I was 12. Who knows.

Let's begin:

mis5pic1.jpg

MOAR

mis5pic2.jpg

Marquis de Man o'War. Now THAT is what I call an awesome name. I'd have liked to have a name like that. I wonder what my friends would have called me... squid face?
Anyhoo, let's review our tech. I smell new tech.

mis5pic3.jpg

FUCK YEA finally some new tech; I was getting so tired of those sun units. Let's see what awesome units we can build.

thundercannon.jpg

Yep, now we're talking. As I mentioned in my mission 3 update these are the most powerfull, most durable, and have the highest range of all attackers. The downside? They cost a whooping 1200 to build and they can only fire in one direction. Actually they are kind of like battlecruisers or carriers in Starcraft: one isn't much of a sight, but have a group of them and they can cause some serious havoc.

vandertower.jpg

The thunder's technology answer to aerial attacks. They shoot faster that discthrowers and I think they also have a higher range. However they are a lot more expensive and can ONLY attack air units. We also learn an important piece of trivia: bulfs lay eggs.

bulf.jpg

Every game needs its mascot and the bulf fills this role really well. They are a LOT tougher than golems and somewhat slower I belive. They cost 100 more however the major downside is that they require a technology slot, something that the golems do not.

mis5pic4.jpg

The Marquis is a political animal isn't he?

mis5pic5.jpg

Unfortunately I forgot to turn the timer on, but this was about 1 min in. This is what I like about this game: you don't have to dick around for 5 minutes scouting the map and building all sorts of shit that takes a lot of time before even finding you opponent, instead you jump straight into the action!

Note that we have quite a few geysers up north so we won't be searching for bread crumbs like we did in the previous 2 missions.

mis5pic6.jpg

Animated_Siren.gif
CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES
Animated_Siren.gif

Now I realize I should have put this in General RPG Discussion.

We choose to fight, obviously. We ain't no goddamn pussies!

mis5pic7.jpg

The battle is heating up. I'm defending my island from those octopuss thigies with my vander towers, and I snipe any cannon that tries to open fire on us, all the while trying to get some shots at the enemy's buildings.

mis5pic8.jpg

YOU'VE GOT MAIL! He's trying to break our morale or something. I just hope he doesen't succeed.

mis5pic9.jpg

Man, those thunder cannons cleaned house. If only we could get them in every mission :sigh: Note that on the right side I bridged down south so we couldn't flank us with sun cannons.

mis5pic10.jpg

Yea I mean I totaled his temple, destroyed most of his units, imobilised him and he still calls me a wuss. That makes sense. We reply:

mis5pic11.jpg

:smug:

mis5pic12.jpg

I just noticed he has a small geyser patch waaaay down in south. That's not gonna save you Billy Bob.

mis5pic13.jpg

I captured him with a bulf and placed him on the altar all cozy like. I build some more bulfs and send them mining just for fun.

mis5NOOO.jpg

I never get tired of that animation to tell you the truth. Except when it's MY priest being sacrificed

mis5pic14.jpg

We send a not to him:

mis5success.jpg

That's some deep shit there dawg.

Another one bites the dust
freddy_mercury-300x244.jpg

BUT WAIT

Remember that option that we were given near the start of the mission?

mis5pic6.jpg

What would have happened if we had chosen to surrender?

mis5alt1.jpg

If we choose fight we continue to fight.

If we choose depart in disgrace the mission ends.

And if we choose to kill the soldiers we get:

mis5alt2-1.jpg

Thats C&C right there for you. Bioware could learn a thing or two from this game.

xantrius

Liturgist
Thanks for the LP. Interesting game, just tried it a little, would really have loved it when I was younger I think; but alas the cruel world would not have that.

catfood

AGAIN
FINALLY after countless tries I managed to beat mission 6. Now I am sure that I have managed to discover the winning strategy for this level. I have already uploaded the pics to photobucket, and tomorow I shal post them.

DraQ

Arcane
An odd little game, probably best described as some odd hybrid of an RTS (but with stationary units) with tetris-like game. Still, it's innovative, has cool units and is free to download, so there is no reason to not play it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom