Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Knights of the Chalice is Here

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Knights of the Chalice

Turn-based indie RPG <b><a href="http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/index.htm" target="blank">Knights of the Chalice</a></b> is now available for purchase as well as the <a href="http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Download.htm" target="blank">demo</a>.
<br>
<blockquote>A haunted forest. Strange ruins. The villagers call this place “Devil’s Lair”. The ruins may be dead, so they say, but the sinister, malevolent creatures that lurk underneath most certainly are not.
<br>
<br>
Tightening your packs, you reflect upon this. The devil’s lair, Hah! How could any self-respecting adventurer shy away from the golden opportunity? In this short adventure, the player characters are pre-created and start at level 3.</blockquote>
<br>
For more info, check out the <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=190" target="blank">interview</a> and updated <a href="http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Screenshots.htm" target="blank">screenshots page</a>.

Secretninja

Cipher
Where is teh bloom?!
also
User-friendly interface. Launch a charge, full-attack or coup-de-grace with a single click - the computer will automatically look for the best option available. Outside combat, single click to move the party. See How to Play for more information.

ElectricOtter

Downloading now. I've been keeping tabs on this for a while, so I hope it's not shit.

WholesaleGenocide

Liturgist
Fezzik said:
I was sold after one round of combat.

Fucking this. PERFECT 3.5 combat (I think it's 3.5, anyways -- maybe it's 3.0). It has 5 foot steps, orgasmic spells, and etc. Game isn't even that bad looking. When I first booted it up I thought "Fuck this is hideous" but I quickly started enjoying it. No clue if there is any C&C or even any dialogue but the combat is perfect.

L'ennui

Magister
iwilldlandhavealook-15474.jpg

TRUE STORY: It took me longer to post this image than to dl the demo.

FINAL EDIT: Yes, it's 3.5 combat on a computer. Pretty much a perfect translation to the electronic medium and yes, the graphics are rather competent once you get in the game.

Might be worth a buy, would have to play more than just one battle vs lizardmen.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Woohoo, fell through some stairs and got brutally buttraped by a pack of undead.

Anyways, this game is fucking hard. My cleric and mage kept running on 1 hp nearly all the time, because everything was dusting them, but then again, I'm not really an experienced chap in these old school D&D games, and getting around with the mechanics and controls was a bit iffy, but I managed to do it rather quickly, even though it needed a constant F1F1F1F1F1F1F1F1 spam.

Also, the fact that there are only three classes kinda sucks.

getter77

Augur
Well, they go into the reasoning behind design choices like the classes in the FAQ and I think interview. Isn't like there's a ton of activitiy towards this kinda RPG nowadays so...

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Excellent game, a perfect Codexian meal. Buying for sure.

Love the graphics, the combat, hell, the whole feel of it.

The Watchman

Novice
Bought it after using 30mins on the demo, its quite good really, well worth the support we can give it.

getter77

Augur
Full game is SUBSTANTIALLY longer and more involved than the demo. Demo is pretty much a mini-module dealie...not somewhere within the full version.

Plenty of challenge to go around too...not to mention Ironman mode being present.

Murk

Arcane
I don't think I've ever heard of a game getting as much praise as this, on the Codex.

obediah

Erudite
320x240? Sure the kind of nerds that would like this game are over 30, but most of us have bought a new monitor in those 30 years.

On a 1920x1200 15.4" laptop I can't even see the fucking game. And it's a windows app, so I can't scale it in dos box.

They could at least offer resolution scaling in-game, so the blocky headache inducing font would be big enough to read.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Combat is pretty cool and it seems to have some nice exploration. I have some nit-picking here and there, like the fact that you need to keep clicking to move instead of leaving the mouse button pressed to move, but my first impressions are really good.

Considering buying it.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, I read about them but I do not really find them satisfying because you can get stuck in the scenery. I guess I can live with it though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom