Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News This Is Like That Thing Annie Carlson Is Working On

Tags: Annie VanderMeer Mitsoda; DoubleBear Productions

A new independent games studio, known as <a href="http://www.doublebearproductions.com/">DoubleBear Productions</a>, has gone live and are in-cahoots with those fellows over at <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php">Iron Tower</a> on some sort of "turn-based RPG that emphasizes survival and escape as civilization begins to decay". And behind this are none other than...<blockquote><b>Brian Mitsoda</b>
<br>

<br>
Brian is the Lead Designer, Creative Director, and Lead Coffee Maker of the company. He is best known for his writing on Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and a veteran of past RPG studios such as Black Isle Studios, Troika Games, and Obsidian Entertainment. Brian loves giraffes.
<br>

<br>
<b>Annie Carlson</b>
<br>

<br>
Annie is a game designer at DoubleBear, responsible for many things which are important. She is best known for her writing on Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir, and other past projects spanning fantasy, sci-fi, and real-world titles. She will also beat you at Super Puzzle Fighter, seriously she will.</blockquote>I'm down with this. I just hope their game is out before I have to survive and escape while civilization decays in real time. I'd rather do it turn-based.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php">Iron Tower Studio Forums</A>

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Sweet! Two threads about the same thing. It's like the mods exists in paralell dimensions, wherein they can see one another, but can't make choices on what to create threads about.

BRAVO :applause:

In other exciting news....I just figured out that I could use both the company and people databases. Added DoubleBear and Brian Mitsoda.

Barrow_Bug said:
Sweet! Two threads about the same thing. It's like the mods exists in paralell dimensions, wherein they can see one another, but can't make choices on what to create threads about.

From the darkest depths of Codexia...

News page != Forums. The front page can attract stragglers that the forums don't and it helps to bring more attention to some stuff.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Edward_R_Murrow said:
In other exciting news....I just figured out that I could use both the company and people databases. Added DoubleBear and Brian Mitsoda.

Barrow_Bug said:

From the darkest depths of Codexia...

News page != Forums. The front page can attract stragglers that the forums don't and it helps to bring more attention to some stuff.

Meh, seems a little cluttered. Especially when you have threads about the same stuff on the righ hand panel right above each other. Talking about the same kinda things. But, but, (sigh). No, it kinda makes sense. I'll get back in my cage.

Great news. Finally, a indie rpg that stands an excellent chance of seeing the light of day.

(that isn't an indictment on VD, it's just the observation that someone with a long history of work in the CRPG industry is more likely to be capable of finishing such a project. Heck, AoD might end up being brilliant, and might come out next year, but given the rate of failure of such projects, you can't blame us for taking a 'let's be supportive but quietly skeptical, until the thing actually ships' approach).

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Interesting to see an indie RPG outfit run by people with professional experience. Hopefully they'll be able to show other game developers that you don't need huge budgets to make good games, and you don't need blockbusters to be successful.

catfood

AGAIN
Cool. The more games are announced under the ITS label, the higher the chance one of it will see the light of the day.

Anyway, I wish best of luck to both of them.

Murk

Arcane
This may be a retarded question, but how did this deal come along? Did Annie posting on the codex have anything to do with it?

Regardless, best of luck and here's hoping for quality games.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Azrael the cat said:
Great news. Finally, a indie rpg that stands an excellent chance of seeing the light of day.

(that isn't an indictment on VD, it's just the observation that someone with a long history of work in the CRPG industry is more likely to be capable of finishing such a project. Heck, AoD might end up being brilliant, and might come out next year, but given the rate of failure of such projects, you can't blame us for taking a 'let's be supportive but quietly skeptical, until the thing actually ships' approach).
The Black Hound. Lay down your arms for all hope is lost!
Or in other words: Any indy game can turn out fine/vapourware. Whether industry veterans are involved or not.

That aside, awesome news. Now they just need to get some PR pointers from Bio and Assassin's Creed so that Annie shows us her great tits:
istockphoto_2553987-great-tits.jpg

Eh, I mean her awesome boobies:
ad_32741n.jpg

PS: You didn't think a thread about Annie would go without mention of birds for long, did you?

Andhaira

Arcane
Well all the best to them. I hope they strike it rich and successful with this move. I also hope they make the game fantasy with magic. And class based (though they can have a skill system in it)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
These are good news. Good luck to the bears. I just hope that they'll also get a good artist. Leonard Boyarsky would be an excellent addition :P

Radisshu

Prophet
Yeah, good luck to you both, this is some pretty good news for a change.

The RPG industry has finally gotten so stupid that even relatively well-known developers are jumping ship and going indie.

And about time. Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Turn-based.
Carlson and Mitsoda
Sounds apocalyptic, rather than post-apocalyptic.

Any single one of these factors would be enough to pique my interest; the three together have quickly shot this to the top of my 'to watch' list.

Here's hoping it fulfils its early potential.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Hey, wow, my RPG stiffy just wobbled in a vertical direction.

Excellent news, and congrats to VD for landing some big fish.
(Or something. Uncertain about what this means other than a forum - but good job wotevathehellitis)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php">Iron Tower Studio Forums</A>
This is what happens when people PM me.

Hory

Erudite
Some good news from the industry, for once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom