Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New indie Russian TBS/RPG - Eador.

Balor

Arcane
http://www.eador.com/gallery.html

Inspired by Master of Magic, HOMM and Paradox games.
Pretty cool, I must say. Just bought it after playing demo for a couple of hours.
Lots of pretty good wrining, pretty deep character and unit developement system, lots of spells.

Thouse that don't know the Great and Powerful Russian are out of luck for now, though - since it is about as 'indie' as it gets, developer will not be able to translate it untill he'll have enough money from sales in Russia.

Here is the translation of the 'Smithy' section of the website:

“Eador. Creation.” Is a TBS with RPG elements. In this case, is not only ‘exp and levels’, which is became standard in computer games, but, most importantly – being able to play a role. You can be tyrant or a just ruler, be prim and proper or weave intrigues. Each game event is not only about strategic advantage, but also a moral dilemma.
Strategic game mode – is a combat for territory and resources. The world map is split into provinces, which makes the battle more positional, with strictly defined state borders and gradual conquest of new lands. Combat takes place in a special tactical mode, where the player takes control of his units – and adept usage of terrain advantage and special abilities of your troops may bring you victory even over the greater odds.

Eador is a fully 2d game. You may call it ‘old school’, but it is not about recreating a game of the past, but creating something new in the genre of TBS while staying true to the canons. Eador looks like ‘good old’ TBSes – no 3d, bloom, ragdoll physics or other next-gen crap. Gameplay is first and foremost. And besides, 2d graphics is the best for TBS then 3d, if you ask me. Turning the map around to search for units hidden by 3d scenery is not ‘immersive’, but distracting.

The game does not feature everything that was planned – there is no network capability, for instance. (There is hot seat, though). But, given time, we WILL put it in – provided that the game sells well, along with other features that was cut out due to funding and time constrains.

And the brief description of the game:

Eador is a universe of small shards of land floating in Great Nothingness. Each of those shards is a small world with its own landscape and denisens. And each one of them – is a desired trophy for Immortal Powers. Mortal dwelling on Shards usually have no idea that they are just pawns in the great Game.

Durwyn

Prophet
Fuck, too bad. I had russian lessons in school and it was teh horror for me. Will wait for english translation and hope that there will be one.

Erzherzog

Magister
Balor said:
You may want to babelfish this, too:

http://www.eador.com/smithy.html

Babelfish said:
[Eador]. Creation” - step-by-step strategy with the RPG- component. Moreover in this case RPG - this not, that became standard in the computer games (although they will undoubtedly be and they). RPG - this is, first of all, [otygrysh] of role by player. Player can be cruel tyrant either valid ruler, faithful ally or insidious intrigant. Each play event - these are not only the selection of strategic benefit, but also moral dilemma. And behavior of player in many respects will influence that, as it will include other inhabitants Of [eadora]. The strategic regime of game - this is war for the new territories and the resources. Map of the World is broken in the separate provinces, which made it possible to make war of more position, with the clear boundaries of states and the gradual seizure of the new earth. Battles in the game occur in the tactical regime, where the player governs each soldier of force. The competent use of special properties and skills of soldiers, and also special features of locality frequently they make it possible to conquer those exceeding by the number of hostile Army.

Or not.

Avu

Liturgist
Russia is our only hope! The last few games I actually liked come from the soviets. I too hope for the translation though it probably won't come...

MetalCraze

Arcane
The name is stupid and generic though - just like all other names in the game. Otherwise looks nice, except mountains which don't fit. I hope gameplay will at least be interesting in contrast to the awful writing seen on screenshots.

Balor said:
You may want to babelfish this, too:

http://www.eador.com/smithy.html

LARPing detected
Other than that they seem to be going for 4X game with things like empire borders and lands and diplomatic relationships which are my weakness in this type of games.

Balor

Arcane
More like MOM ripoff, and you cannot have too many! However, it is more then that.

And besides, why don't you try yourself?
There is a free demo (basically unlockable full version). And the price is just 10$!
I just do not see why people complain about the price.

Balor

Arcane
Fuck, I have to go now, even though I really want to continue playing!

Anyway, I think I'll be turning into an unpayed PR agent for this game. I would just love watching you squirm from being unable to play it, mwahahaha!

See you in the evening (Russian time), when I'll translate (yea, babelfish sucks) the game information from mainsite and some of my playing impressions.

DaViLLaN

Augur
Balor, since I hear you are the official Russian consulate for the codex, I nominate you to nominate yourself to help the dev with an engrish translation.

Please? Or us we will only get more games like night watch in english and the whole world will suffer.

X40c

Novice
Damn it. Looks just like the game I'd like to play. I'm a sucker for MoMesque games. How much different is it from Dominions 3? I've been thinking about getting back into Dom 3.
Too bad I've never liked Russian and thus I've cheated through all my Russian tests in school.

Balor

Arcane
Ok, updated my first post with some translations.

BTW, the 'tutorial' is very well done and the 'plot twist' in the end was kinda unexpected and was quite funny. Lots of text, too.

In fact, the game does feature LOADS of text, every creature, ability, spell or structure is very well-documented.

Random encounters and province locations also have descriptions, and sometimes dialogues attached to them.

In one I stumbled upon a party of adventures hauling loot, and while my chances of defeating them were slim, I managed to extort half of their stuff by claiming that I have a right for it as a ruler of this land.

In other I found a witch, and there was an option of burning her, or letting her live - for a tribute of magical crystals. I bet there are other consequences for that, but I've yet to see them.

All in all, the detail of the game is simply astounding. Your main castle seem to have 200+ upgrades (some mutually exclusive), there are dozens of skills for your heroes (some class-specific, some 'general purpose', and based on your choice your hero will 'subclass' - for instance, mage can grow into evoker, enchanter, summoner or thamaurge), loads and loads of items - including mundane, magical, rare and even set items.

There is a whole lot of spells too, and they are learned very much like AD&D- you have a number of spell slots, you can memorize a certain amount of spells - and once you cast a spell - it is gone till the end of combat.

It has an interesting effect when it comes to scrolls - once you learn a spell from scroll, you can only cast it once per combat - unless you'll find more copies of this spell.

You can have as many copies of a spell as you can learn dragged from a library in your castle, though.

Balor

Arcane
Btw, the game is not Russian but Ukrainian. Hardly any difference for anybody (being in Russian and all), but I bet skyway will point it out soon enough :).

karnot

Educated
Inspired by Master of Magic, HOMM
Stop saying that, some MOM megafan will go check it out and will be terribly disappointed. There isnt really much, if anything, MOM or HOMM inspired in there. I cant quite call what it reminds me of, but certainly not those two.

poocolator said:
That's what you get for taking German in university and not Russian. Hahahahaha losers.

I've actually taken one year of Russian at high school. Now I'm trying to play the demo and merely deciphering each word takes at least 10 seconds. "You... were.... born... in... a small... village..."
Pure joy.

Balor

Arcane
Marquess Cornwallis said:
poocolator said:
That's what you get for taking German in university and not Russian. Hahahahaha losers.

I've actually taken one year of Russian at high school. Now I'm trying to play the demo and merely deciphering each word takes at least 10 seconds. "You... were.... born... in... a small... village..."
Pure joy.

Btw, the 'chosen one born in a poor village' premise is actually not true at all and later (to much hilarity) you will find out that you are more of a Jesus Christ :).
The ending (or beginning, depends on how you look) dialogue is pretty fun, like I said.

I especially loled at 'barbarian taking shit on the altar' bit, heh.

Balor

Arcane
Just in case - I'm silent because I'm too busy playing damn thing.
And it is pretty challenging even on 'medium' diffeculty in the beginning! That, or I suck at 4x games, heh.

Anyway, let me repeat that amount of text in this game is simply mind-boggling (for a RPS, of course - it does not rival PST... yet).

The random events are pretty similar to GC2, and are pretty similar when it comes to changing your alignment (and alignment affects a lot of things - from troop and population morale to occurance and dialogue options in random events), but more verbose and usually involve a string of choices, not just one.

You can also ask around for quests, and get pretty good rewards - usually in form provices joining you peacefully or artifacts.

Balor said:
Anyway, let me repeat that amount of text in this game is simply mind-boggling (for a RPS, of course - it does not rival PST... yet).

Provided that all of the text is actually located in the "Text" folder, it's somewhere around 45,000 words. Quality translation will be exceedingly costly and time-consuming, especially for a small indie developer.
Well, I guess I'll just have to stick with what poor basics of Russian I've got :(

Balor

Arcane
No, there is much more then that. I don't see 'event messages' in this folder anywhere - they must be packed in the the game data somewhere.

It sure looks like crap to me. But so did HOMM.

This is not a MOM clone, it has HOMM stupidity written all over it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom