Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play BLOOD BOWL! WAAAAAGH!

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
BloodBowl_006.jpg

The Game!

EDIT:

Game One: The Codex Orks versus Bugmen's Best

Game Two: Bugmen's Best versus The Codex Orks

Game Three: The Codex Orks versus Rotten Rats

Game Four: The Codex Orks versus Bugmen's Best

For those who don't know, Blood Bowl was originally a boardgame created by Games Workshop. In Blood Bowl you create a team from one of several races and play a sport very similar to American Football with a dash of Rugby thrown in for good measure.

BloodBowl_001.jpg

Creating the Campaign...

Ok, this is my first Let's Play ever, so be gentle. I was originally tempted to make it a team full of Obsidianites, but since you only know a few of us, I thought it better to continue the RPG Codex Tradition and use names from the yahoos around here.

The few people who actually voiced an opinion seemed to be mostly in favor of Orks, with a lone voice in favor of Dorfs. I personally preferred Humans, but that's mainly because I'm a racist...wait, what?

So let's create the team!
BloodBowl_002.jpg

Red is the fastest, as any right thinking Ork can tell you. I remember that much from Warhammer. However, since I want this team to HURT people I have chose a more crimson red...

BloodBowl_003.jpg

As the game starts off, we are at the bottom of barrel. If the barrel had a bottom...we might actually be below that. We have no prestige and no fans.

EDIT!
BloodBowl_001.jpg

Here is our team!

A-Train is our Thrower and Team Captain. He has Sure Hands and Pass. He is slow, but not as slow as a Dorf. Does he have what it takes to lead the Codexian Orks to Victory? I doubt it. Darth Roxor is our back up thrower/runner.

Ork Blitzers have GREAT armor, decent movement, and most important... the BLOCK SKILL!

Black Orcs have no skill at all when starting out, but they do have 4 strength(!) and greeat armor. They are mainly here to hurt people and keep our troll in line.

Linemen have no skill, but they do have good stats and most importantly...they are cheap.

BloodBowl_005.jpg

The rest of our money was spent on 2 re-rolls, 2 cheerleaders, and 2 Fan Factors to jump start our fan base.

BloodBowl_007.jpg

Which brings me to our contract. Our sponsor is Grin Toof's Orcwipment! As part of our negotiations, we forecast 70% win ratio, at least 1 top rating, and our specific objective was to reach a fan factor of 10.

I chose less ambitious contract parts because I am less confident of my turn based skills. If it was the real time version, no problemo, I would have gone for everything.

Our first scheduled game is about to begin!

Mantiis

Cipher
Fuck you and your fucking LP - NOW I HAVE TO FUCKING BUY IT! $50 down the toilet.

:rpgcodex:

Please continue.

Nice team motto

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Great stuff! I fear this LP will convince me to shell out that monstrous 50 euros for this game...

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Ok, I read some research about the Orks and then I hopped into the time machine. Had to be done, I was having no success with the team I was having.

Hopefully this team will work out better...if this fails, I will have to go back to the team I KNOW how to play (humans).

BloodBowl_001.jpg

New Roster with people who actually signed up.

BloodBowl_002.jpg

Team Photo!

I have 2 re-rolls and 5 cheerleaders. I have NO fan factor to start with.

First game in progress now - win or lose.

Mantiis

Cipher
Bought it, the fucking thing has securerom. God fucking dammit.

Anyway, gone Chaos as they have minotaurs. Minotaurs = win.

I seem to be running out of money though....

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Fat Dragon said:
Well, at least we've got tits with us. Not too bad of a situation, I guess.

No, apparently Ork Cheerleaders are dudes banging on drums.

Ogg said:
Cyanide Studio? Wasn't that the team behind Chaos League? That's promising!

Yes, that is the reason I got it too.
Mantiis said:
Bought it, the fucking thing has securerom. God fucking dammit.

Anyway, gone Chaos as they have minotaurs. Minotaurs = win.

I seem to be running out of money though....

Yeah, I forgot to mention that, I completely understand developers and publishers wanting to protect their work - but Secrom is very heavy handed.

So I finished the first game. I will make an update later, but let me just say that Dorfs are tough.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Anthony Davis said:
Fat Dragon said:
Well, at least we've got tits with us. Not too bad of a situation, I guess.

Oh. Well, that's actually very appropriate then, goes well with one of this site's many tag-lines, "RPG Codex is for fags".

Raapys

Arcane
Never had much interest in american football, but this looks sort of interesting. Are the actual matches any fun?

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Anthony Davis said:
No green tits? That's lame. At least, I hope Chaos cheerleaders will have hairy tits!
So I finished the first game. I will make an update later, but let me just say that Dorfs are tough.
Can't wait. I need to see the game before buying it. Cyanide can mmake great games but they often fail to deliver anything playable.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
HanoverF said:
This let's play needs less let's and more play
Agreed. And don't tell me it's because you have too much work at Obsidian. 'Obsidian' and 'work' don't fit together well.

Eldritch

Scholar
ORKZ IZ BEST

Also they reproduce from some kind of fungi-like organism with psychosomatic qualities somewhat linked to the Warp creating a racial wide warrior gestalt because they were a bioengineered warrior race and don't have sexes/tits etc. they're all boyz because boyz iz best whats wrong with you ppl?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
OK, it's GAME TIME! This post will probably be wordier than most as I will try to also explain mechanics of the game as we go along.

BloodBowl_002-1.jpg

We are playing against Bugman's Best - group of beer-swilling dwarves who are as tough as nails. Little stunty nails.

We actually win the coin toss and choose to receive the ball.
BloodBowl_004.jpg

The dorf kick off...

BloodBowl_006.jpg

Is absolutely PERFECT, landing the ball snug against our own touch down line. Thankfully we had a quick snap event and we are allowed to move all our players one square, regardless of tackle zones.

Note: almost every kick off is immediately followed by an EVENT. These events can range in scale from minor to deadly.

Note: Players are surrounded by a Tackle Zone. Imagine a keypad where 5 is the actual player and all the other numbers are grid squares where the player can potentially block another player. Having allied players in your tackle zone can add support for tackles, depending on the individual skills of all players in the tackle zone in question. Seem complicated? It is, but you get used to it fast.

BloodBowl_007.jpg

you can see the turn counter in the upper right hand corner (1/16).

Note: Your turns ends (called a Turnover) EVERY time a player you are controlling either drops or fumbles the ball, or is knocked down while while performing a block, or when there are no remaining moves for the player to take. You can also end your turn at any point by just hitting end turn.

The game progresses in this fashion until you hit turn 8 (halftime) or turn 16 (end of match).

Note: during a turn, a player can only attempt ONE action, either a MOVE or a BLOCK. Moving out of an opposing player's tackle zone can trigger a block, so you need to be careful with that. To block, you need to have an opposing player in your tackle zone at the beginning of the turn. The only exception to the one action rule is a BLITZING player, which can perform BOTH a move and an attack in a single turn. You can only blitz with one player per turn however, and in this turn here you see a dwarven player blitzing into Hummelgumpf causing a BLOCK.

Note: a word on Blocks and Block Rolls.

When two players connect in a block, a certain number of 'BLOCK' dice are rolled. 1 to 3 depending on strength and allies in the tackle zone. Results of the die can be things like:

Defender Down
Attacker Down
Both Down
Defender Pushed
Defender Stumbled

So if I am the attacker and have have MORE than one die rolls either from STRENGTH, ALLIES, or other factors, I get to choose which one to use after the roll. So if I rolled ATTACKER DOWN and DEFENDER DOWN, I would want to choose DEFENDER DOWN since choosing ATTACKER DOWN down MY player and then cause a turnover. If I had only one die roll, I must take whatever the result is.

In this case, the AI picked BOTH DOWN. Hummelgumpf has the BLOCK skill, as does the attacking dorf, which allows the player to ignore the BOTH DOWN effect on the block dice, effectively negating the block for both of us. However if Hummelgumpf did NOT have Block skill, he would have gone down and the dwarf would have remained standing since he DID have the Block skill. Understand? It seems confusing at first, but knowing WHICH die roll to pick based on the player involved is key to winning the game.

Back to the game!
BloodBowl_008.jpg

A-Train, a thrower attempts to pick up the ball...and rolls a ONE. Like DnD, a roll of ONE is always failure. Luckily A-Train has sure hands skill which gives him a free re-roll when picking up the ball once per turn. He rolls again and succeeds, running the ball up towards his line where he can be defended.

BloodBowl_009.jpg

Ending my turn, the dorfs make haste...well as much as they can, towards A-Train, kocking down Fat Dragon in the way. Fat Dragon is only slightly stunned and will be able to get up next turn.

BloodBowl_010.jpg

Here you can see an example of a BLOCK roll. This result is two ATTACKER DOWN rolls, clearly a bad result and I will choose re-roll....geting TWO BOTH DOWN results...Luckily Hummelgumpf has block, as does the dorf, so no one goes down. Unfortunately this means that A-Train will have to attempt a DODGE to get out of the dorf's TZ and move the ball...

BloodBowl_011.jpg

SUCCESS! A-Train moves the ball up and is getting into position for the other defenders to form a protective cage around him, protecting him as they move the ball up the field...in theory. The reality is that dwarves are little meat grinders and this will be a tough fight to the line.

BloodBowl_012.jpg

The cage is formed...a little tighter than I would have liked, but I had no choice. The dorfs are quick to try and break it. At one point they strip the ball from A-Train, but luckily one of my Black Orcs recover it (with a 2 agility, amazing!) and then, miracle on miracle, hand it back to A-Train.

BloodBowl_013.jpg

The dorf turn sees my cage pulled apart and a defender knocked down. See that shirt less dorf with the red hair? That's a troll slayer - one tough little stunty. he has several skills which make him really tough in blocks. I manage to pull the cage back together, but make no forward progress with the ball.

BloodBowl_014.jpg

The dorfs immediately start pulling the cage apart again. This will get very bad here soon - injuries are inevitable with the kind of blocks being thrown around here by both teams.

BloodBowl_015.jpg

And here it is...one of the dwarven players goes down with a KO!

BloodBowl_016.jpg

Another dorf goes down! Badly injured, but with no long term effects. Injured or KO players can return at certain points in the game if their injury is not too severe.

BloodBowl_017.jpg

With this opening, we got a chance to move the ball now, but first time for some 'safe' moves first. See all those plus ones? Those are assists in the tackle I am about to make.

BloodBowl_018.jpg

Unfortunately we only get a DEFENDER STUMBLE, but it gets him out of the A-Train's zone.

BloodBowl_019.jpg

A timely push against the troll slayer to get him out of A-Train's zone and...

BloodBowl_020.jpg

We are off! Darth Roxor also get a BOTH DOWN block, which he is protected from, but his target is not - sending him to the pitch.

BloodBowl_021.jpg

TOUCHDOWN!

BloodBowl_022.jpg

Our cheerleaders go wild! Ew.

BloodBowl_023.jpg

The dorfs now have THREE(!) injured players.

BloodBowl_024.jpg

KICK OFF TIME! We are kicking off to the dorfs and... uh oh...this is bad news. One of the worst major events you can get. This is why fan support and cheerleaders are sooo important.

BloodBowl_025.jpg

In the upper left hand corner we can see the target of the rock, BROKEN RIBS! OUCH! Safe to say he is out of the game. It could have been worse, you can be KILLED by the thrown rock event. (My screen grab skill is low, so i didn't react fast enough to get the impact)

BloodBowl_026.jpg

Despite being down 4 players, the dorfs open their turn like gangbusters and completely decimate my line. Thankfully we are saved by HALF-TIME!

BloodBowl_027.jpg

A new kick off to the dorfs, and we fare MUCH better, stomping their line and getting the ball FAR back into the dorf's own territory.

The Green Wall assembles.

BloodBowl_028.jpg

The dorfen runner scrambles back to the middle of the field, but the orks smell blood and apply the pressure.

BloodBowl_029.jpg

Here you can see Fat Dragon setting up for the blitz...I move players next to the ball carrier (the dorf with the gold beam) and set up for the blitz. You can also see down at the bottom where Jim Cajones laid out a dorf.

BloodBowl_030.jpg

Fat Dragon blitzes...succeeding in only pushing the dorf back, no tackle or ball strip. Still the pressure is on.

BloodBowl_031.jpg

Next run we have him surrounded and it is just a matter of time before that stunty coughs up the ball!

BloodBowl_032.jpg

COUGH!

BloodBowl_033.jpg

I send Jim Cajones goes after the ball early in the turn, he's a blitzer with 3 agility, which gives a fairly good chance at it... DAMNIT! Turnover. That's right, failing to pick up the ball can end your turn, which makes it crucial to plan your moves carefully.

BloodBowl_034.jpg

Turn 14 and the dorfs have had enough of A-Train's leadership skills. A well placed dorfen fist rings his bell and sends him to the sidelines. However, this doesn't stop the Orks from FINALLY getting their meaty hands on the ball.

BloodBowl_036.jpg

Darth Roxor takes off and Touchdown!!!!

BloodBowl_037.jpg

After the kick off to the Dorfs, Jaesade gets tired of the dorf lineman making fun of him and sends him to the sideline with a broken jaw and 3 less teeth than he started the game with. Play of the game!

BloodBowl_038.jpg

The dorfs try to get around the Green Wall.

BloodBowl_039.jpg

A quick blitz and ball grab end that scoring drive before it even began!

BloodBowl_040.jpg

Unfortunately, the clock runs down and that is the match!

BloodBowl_041.jpg

Thanks to Jaesades well timeed fist, he gets enough SPP's (think XP) to gain a level. We chose the GUARD skill for him, if he lives to level 3 we will probably pick MIGHTY BLOW!

Whew, ok, that's our first game all wrapped up!

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Occasionally Fatal said:
This looks pretty sweet, I look forward to your next update. You are iron manning it right?

Yes I am, but the first attempt at the LP was completely futile. The trolls and goblins were abyssmal and I couldn't make any money to replace maimed players.

You actually can't save the game during play, so it is kind of iron man by default.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom