Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aliens RPG now "officially canceled."

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Hi guys, The Guildmaster here. Rumors have circled around a bit regarding the fate of the Aliens role playing game that Obsidian and SEGA had been working on. Unfortunately, it is true that we are no longer working on the game, and we wanted to finally announce that officially to everyone who has been following its development. We’re going to keep this forum up for another week for archival purposes and to allow you guys to finish up any open threads, and then we will shut it down since it is no longer a product that is in development.

All of us here at Obsidian would like to thank you for your interest and support during its development, and we encourage you to check out the recent news about Alpha Protocol, which is coming to the PC, Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3 very soon!

Thanks,
-TG

http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=52620

Kron

Arcane
Meh.
They don't have the creativity or the guts to correctly handle something like alien anyway.

Obsidian is just the lap dog of Bioware and Bethesda, the one time they get to do a game of their own, AP is what we get.

I'm just wondering how this half-assed studio has managed to survive this long. Hope they just die away once and for all when this generic piece of shit of a game turns out to be a major flop.

Raapys

Arcane
Well, the Aliens RPG sounded alot more interesting than AP is turning out to be, so in that way it sort of sucks.

Kron

Arcane
Ocasionally Fatal said:
It seems to me as if Obsidian is about as much :decline: from Troika as Troika was from Black Isle. :?

Troika made games, few of them, but they were individual projects by themselves. Obsidian has only pulled off some mediocre expansions to the date. Plus Troika still retained the spirit of making games with somewhat original ideas behind them.

Chefe

Erudite
At least Troika's broken games has some gems in them. Troika also didn't make any expansions and half-assed sequels, or rip off anyone. They were the last true RPG developers.

denizsi

Arcane
And Black Isle only has Fallout and PST going for its name that can hold water to Troika games.

denizsi

Arcane
I'm actually disappointed. Regardless of how AP would turn out, I had hopes for Aliens RPG. SEGA and C&C, I guess.

Maybe it's not such a bad thing that this got the shaft:

abominationalienbcopy.jpg

stalkeralien7copy1.jpg

Silly me for thinking that a mainstream Alien game could be anything other than a <s>shit</s>grind-fest.

Kron

Arcane
WOAH, H. R. Giger would probably puke if he saw how they modified his creation...

That behemoth-thing, completely out of line with what alien is, and the other one looks like a fag, more like a D&D 3E monster than a killer that makes you shit your pants.

Multi-headed Cow

Alien escapes the terrible clutches of Obsidian, but Fallout is still in it. Fuck.

bhlaab

Erudite
Occasionally Fatal said:
From what I've seen of Alpha Protocol, I can't say I'm very sorry. If AP manages to be decent maybe I will change my opinion. It seems to me as if Obsidian is about as much :decline: from Troika as Troika was from Black Isle. :?

HEY NOW leave troika out of this

Kron

Arcane
CHOSE YOUR RACE:

HUMAN

ALIEN

ANDROID

HALF-ALIEN

Plus, the game was going to feature romantic interests with female aliens, but you had to chose the dialogue options in like less than 3 seconds, else the alien would eat your balls off with that other little mouth it has inside its mouth.

Liberal

Barely Literate
Good riddance. They wouldn't be able to pull it off anyway. They are a sequel/addon studio, and they should stick to that.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
What the flying fuck did Obsidian think when they made those concept arts? It's like they had NO idea what Alien was about and what they were supposed to be like. I'm glad the game got canned for good. They would've fucked Aliens up the ass instead of making Aliens that fuck the player up the ass. As it should have been.

MetalCraze

Arcane
But you see that picture clearly shows that the guy is using an alien diplomacy on a big smart alien instead of putting all his clips into it. And they are about to hug. Isn't that what you fuckers wanted?

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Hümmelgümpf said:
I fucking hate you, guys. What happened? A lot of you liked MotB and SoZ. Where does this RAGE come from?

Aliens was actually the game I was looking forward to. Judging by Obsidian's and even Black Isle's track record, they tend to oscillate between enjoyable and horrible games, and AP is as horrible as it gets (Descent to Undermountain quality range). Unfortunately, we'll never know if Aliens would have turned out to be good, but we know that AP will be banal, shit, boring Ass Effect sequel.

That leaves Obsidian with Fallout: NV, a spinoff of Bethesda's abomination, made in an abysmal engine, with impossibly low development period (looks like they've learned nothing from KOTOR 2 experience). Unless they plan to use huge portions of Van Buren design, the best we can hope for is a game in KOTOR 2 quality range.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I don't really see anything wrong with those concept arts, but then again I've never really been much of an Alien fan so eh.

Pretty dumb to say it would have been shit anyway, especially since we knew nothing about the gameplay, other than they were looking at Bloodlines for ideas at one point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom