Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Elementium video

Malifax

Novice
Just wanted to to let everyone know I have a new video up for Elementium on YouTube. You can view the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0COVuIjteXI

The video just basically shows party creation and the new interface. I am working on a NPC interaction video now, and I will get that posted pretty soon.

Thanks!
-Mal

sheek

Arbiter
Engine quite good, no criticisms.

Did you post about an earlier version, maybe a year ago? I remember seeing quite a similar game which was shown on YouTube and voiced explanations. It looked a lot less polished than this.

Is there no skill selection when you create a character? How do you make different characters of the same class play differently?

What's the story/world?

Malifax

Novice
Yes, I posted about 8 or 9 months ago, and I have changed a lot since then.

I do have a site, www.b3software.net. I plan on really adding to it these next two weeks. I plan on adding a lot of the game info then.

Vidder

Liturgist
Looking great. I especially like the "wizardry"-ness look of the charscreens. The gameplay video also looks very promising.

How do you plan to play out the combat? Bardstale like? New screen with tactical overlay?
Anyway, i hope its turnbased.

abstract

Scholar
It's looking good, though you may want to add a compass or at least a "movement animation" (like in Lands of Lore), otherwise it will be pretty confusing figuring out which way you're facing and which way you just turned.

If you could track down an artist to do some character portraits and art for the hallways ect it would look 100% more awesome. I'm sure the gameplay will be fun and I'm all about the old school dungeon crawl but in all honesty the art could really use some work. Also an interesting/appealing art style could do allot towards establishing a unique identity for your project and generating some good hype.

Malifax

Novice
Vidder said:
Looking great. I especially like the "wizardry"-ness look of the charscreens. The gameplay video also looks very promising.

How do you plan to play out the combat? Bardstale like? New screen with tactical overlay?
Anyway, i hope its turnbased.

Thanks.

The combat will be much like Bard's Tale. You will have class skills that do play into combat, and it will be turn based.

Malifax

Novice
abstract said:
It's looking good, though you may want to add a compass or at least a "movement animation" (like in Lands of Lore), otherwise it will be pretty confusing figuring out which way you're facing and which way you just turned.

In the video I did leave a lot unfinished. I do have a directional marker telling where you are facing. It is in the top right by the small sunlight icon. I noticed that it said 'N' everywhere I turned tho, LOL. I will have that fixed :)

There is also a automap built into the game, but I am not ready to show off it's functionality just yet.

NotAnAlt

Educated
Nice info update to site.

Quick question: Any difference between a Dwarf and a Barbarian?

Also do you have a ETA or the usual done when done stuff?

sheek

Arbiter
Website seems to have been updated with info. Pretty ambitious feature list.

flushfire

Augur
nothing is happening until a minute into the videos, why is that? the gameplay video shows you loading a party and randomly pointing at icons every 10 seconds. what are the long pauses for? and that is half of the video, is loading a party half of the gameplay?

you do need a decent artist. not even a good one, just decent. reduce the blurring too. everything looks like they were splashed with water, probably a result of too much "smart blur" photoshop filter. some things don't need to be drawn. google for wood and use a resulting pic for door texture, youre already using texture for the walls why not use some for the doors, too. also why are the torches/lamps up so high, they seem like hitting the ceiling already.

Malifax

Novice
flushfire said:
nothing is happening until a minute into the videos, why is that? the gameplay video shows you loading a party and randomly pointing at icons every 10 seconds. what are the long pauses for? and that is half of the video, is loading a party half of the gameplay?

you do need a decent artist. not even a good one, just decent. reduce the blurring too. everything looks like they were splashed with water, probably a result of too much "smart blur" photoshop filter. some things don't need to be drawn. google for wood and use a resulting pic for door texture, youre already using texture for the walls why not use some for the doors, too. also why are the torches/lamps up so high, they seem like hitting the ceiling already.

Well, the pauses are probably because there is narration going on in the videos. Did you have the sound turned down?

As for the art, nothing is final. On the videos I tried to explain that I wanted to show the basic interface, how the game works, etc...

Since the last video alone I have overhauled the in-game icons, added lots of new character portraits (that are hopefully better than before), added new sounds...well...you get the idea.

The art isn't great right now to some people, but to others it is acceptable, but trust me..I am always looking to improve!

flushfire

Augur
i did, sorry about that. i was under the impression it would be more on actual gameplay, not on UI/party discussion/presentation.

as for the art, less blurring/water splashing or whatever effect that is would probably be better overall.

Malifax

Novice
NotAnAlt said:
Hey, what happened to the site?

I am currently making major changes to both the gameplay of the game as well as looking for a new host for the website. Everything should be up and going pretty soon.

I have another video about 50% done, and will post it to YouTube soon.

-Cheers!

getter77

Augur
Malifax said:
NotAnAlt said:
Hey, what happened to the site?

I am currently making major changes to both the gameplay of the game as well as looking for a new host for the website. Everything should be up and going pretty soon.

I have another video about 50% done, and will post it to YouTube soon.

-Cheers!

Man am I glad to hear it! Freaked me out when suddenly my dailyish visits to the site/forum led me to one of those "site be gone" pages. Heh, so yeah, i'd be that guy that sent the message on youtube asking where the fire was on it some months back. :lol:

getter77

Augur
How're things coming along in the new year Malifax/Chip...things looking up on hosting and such?

Malifax

Novice
Wow...sorry to be so long on getting things updated.

I had a MASSIVE computer crash...lost about 3 months worth of work on Elementium. Backn in the swing again :)

I have a new video I will be posting to YouTube in about two weeks.

I will also be getting a new website up. The last one expired and I decided to let it go, just because I had such a long window left before the game was ready to go.

I will let you guys know once the new vid is up.

Take Care!
Mal

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom