Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Commander Shephard is dead? Not bloody likely.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Mass Effect 2

According to the new Mass Effect 2 trailer. <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45796.html">Watch it at GameTrailers</a> or <a href="http://kotaku.com/5157628/your-first-look-at-mass-effect-2">over at Kotaku</a>.
<br>
<blockquote>Status: Killed in Action.</blockquote>
<br>
It would appear our dear Shephard grabbed one collar too many.
<br>
<br>
... and that's about all the trailer has in it. We're now taking bets <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=699809#699809">on racofer's suggested options</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>1) Sheppard is severely injured, which brings him back to a level one state;
<br>
2) Sheppard has amnesia and will rediscover himself throughout the game;
<br>
<br>
Mark these words.</blockquote>
<br>
Whose money's on a combination of both?
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Fat Dragon</b> and <b>Admiral jimbob</b>!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
sigh. the oldest trick in the book.
i 'forgot' my skills

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Is Bioware able to do anything these days except stealing ideas from The Witcher? Doesn't seem like it.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Spectacle said:
Is Bioware able to do anything these days except stealing ideas from The Witcher? Doesn't seem like it.

And the speculation in the above news post is fact, how? :roll:

Rhalle

Magister
Alright, here's my guess:

They are pretending that Shepard is dead to yank our chains and provoke and emotional response; the in-game justification will be that Shepard can operate more secretly if the enemy thinks he perished (maybe in the battle at the Citadel) and so can't hunt them down anymore.

DiverNB

Liturgist
How about instead of all this bullshit, surprise everyone and have the fucker actually be dead.

Instead, you play as a foot soldier in a human squad that is sent to investigate what happened to Sheppard.

It would be a lot better then "ZOMG HES NOT ACTUALLY DEAD" because that shit is over used.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
DiverNB said:
How about instead of all this bullshit, surprise everyone and have the fucker actually be dead.

Instead, you play as a foot soldier in a human squad that is sent to investigate what happened to Sheppard.

It would be a lot better then "ZOMG HES NOT ACTUALLY DEAD" because that shit is over used.

The twist...

is that...

THERE IS NO TWIST

Worm King

Scholar
If he's dead, where are all the deep emotion consequences you're going to have with companions? Seems like this is a PR stunt or their claims for C&C were too much to handle for them.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Bioware critically fails in rolling Escape Artist against promises of C&C.

Biowhore rolls a 20 in Bullshit to distract the mainstream.

Codex prepares a snide insinuation. It's Super Effective!

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
It would be an hour's work to brainstorm videogame and film clichés onto a couple of pages headed DO NOT USE. Obeying this would be a fine start to immeasurably improving any story.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Oh wait I got the twist, you're still Shepard. But you're his brother/sister trying to avenge him.

Taddaaaaaa. You's still Commander Shepard!

CRISIS AVERTED!

"I know your brother...I served with him on eden prime"
"Oh really?"
"He's such a short-tempered/diplomatic/ruthless commander"
"Yeah I know. We'll miss him."

PennyAnte

Liturgist
It seems to me that Shepard is the robot now; it had the N7 insignia on it.

So maybe his awareness was transferred into the 'bot to help him infiltrate the machine civilizations or otherwise go get the reapers.

So he is now the Mass Effect version of the Million Dollar Man, and Bio doesn't have to do as much work for the player character's model either because there's just one type.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
More likely than some of the above suggestions:

1. Shepard is actually dead.

2. Shepard is only assumed to be dead.

3. Shepard faked his death.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
RK47 said:
Oh wait I got the twist, you're still Shepard. But you're his brother/sister trying to avenge him.

Taddaaaaaa. You's still Commander Shepard!

CRISIS AVERTED!

"I know your brother...I served with him on eden prime"
"Oh really?"
"He's such a short-tempered/diplomatic/ruthless/extreme commander"
"Yeah I know. We'll miss him."
Fixed.

DiverNB

Liturgist
I still personally think they killed him off because he just wasn't extreme enough.

Mass Effect 2 : 2x the Game, 2x the EXTREME

Seboss

Liturgist
The Giths can rebuild him. They have the technology. They can make him better than he was. Better…stronger…faster

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom