Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dangerous High School Girls fight Fallout 3

Jason

chasing a bee
The nominees are in for the 2008 <a href="http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2009/01/writers-guild-videogame-award-nominees-announced.html "target="blank">Writers Guild Videogame Writing Award</a> and the two RPG related ones are a little surprising.
<blockquote>Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble! (Mousechief). Writing: Keith Nemitz. Additional Writing: Adrianne Ambrose.

Fallout 3 (Bethesda). Lead Writer: Emil Pagliarulo. Quest Writing: Erik J. Caponi, Brian Chapin, Jon Paul Duvall, Kurt Kuhlmann, Alan Nanes, Bruce Nesmith, and Fred Zeleny. Additional Quest Writing: Nate Ellis, William Killeen, Mark Nelson, and Justin McSweeney.</blockquote>
It's amazing that the Writers Guild would know about DHSGIT. And it's even more amazing that anyone would consider <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=577.msg17039#msg17039" target="blank">Fallout 3's writing</a> worth an award.
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com/">Shack News</A>

Sirus

Liturgist
THIS IS WHAT I THINK OF FALLOT 3S WRITING

3128519942_48e6e8245e.jpg

Jim Cojones

Prophet
baby arm said:
The nominees are in for the 2008 <a href="http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2009/01/writers-guild-videogame-award-nominees-announced.html " target="blank">Writers Guild Videogame Writing Award</a>
This award is retarded - rules are written by someone who doesn't know anything about producing videogames:

"Submitted games MUST have separate credit for writing (i.e. Written By, Story By, Writer, Story Designer, etc.). Writing credits must be verified by their inclusion in the game manual."

So i.e. Obsidian guys can't get the award just because company's employees responsible for writing are described in manual as designers and lead designers, not writers.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Jim Cojones said:
So i.e. Obsidian guys can't get the award just because company's employees responsible for writing are described in manual as designers and lead designers, not writers.
David Gaider is on the forum right now taking notes. You can bet someone will be credited with "writing" for Dragon Age.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Tomb Raider? The Force Unleashed? Fallout 3? Are you kidding me?

At least Tomb Raider had a decent plot with nice tie ins to Norse mythology, and overall good story pacing. It's not award material, but at least they tried. Which doesn't seem to be the case for Fallout 3.

Can't say about the other games in that list, since I know fuck all about them. The Force Unleashed sounded good on paper. How did its story turn out in the final product?

Longshanks

Augur
I'm sure the script Bethesda sent in was highly selective. But, surely it would have to contain the entire main quest, which would have to disqualify it from any award consideration.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Edward_R_Murrow said:
The Force Unleashed?
Actually, Force Unleashed was not bad in terms of the way it presented its story. It was actually quite interesting.

Yeah, I heard story presentation and writing was the best part of The Force Unleashed. Not that that's saying much, from the sounds of things...

Honestly, though, what would you guys nominate instead? There have to be better candidates than FO3 this year, but I really can't think of any.

Admiral jimbob said:
Honestly, though, what would you guys nominate instead? There have to be better candidates than FO3 this year, but I really can't think of any.
"None" isn't as alien a concept as some dread it to be.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Admiral jimbob said:

GTA IV is good when it comes to the main character dialog and the story, although the humor outside of that (radio, TV) is so amateurish and juvenile it makes Bethesda look wonderful by comparison.

Rei

Novice
WHAT IS THIS NAZI GERMANY

Maybe the people think Fallout 3 is good for a videogame writing, but not for you know, other writings.

They really should first do award thing for best writing in the history of video games, rather then the past year. It's too narrow to actually mean anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom