Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Star Wars: The Old Republic - It's about being an hero

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: BioWare; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3

This site doesn't normally cover MMOs but we'd be amiss to not mention <a href="http://www.swtor.com/news/article/press-release-001" target="blank">this</a>, seeing how the Codex is BioWare Fanboy Central.
<br>
<blockquote>OCTOBER 21, SAN FRANCISCO – LucasArts and BioWare, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), today announced the development of <b>Star Wars: The Old Republic</b>, a story-driven massively multiplayer online PC game set in the timeframe of the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic franchise. Star Wars: The Old Republic, being developed and published by BioWare and LucasArts, represents an innovative approach to interactive entertainment, featuring immersive storytelling, dynamic combat and intelligent companion characters.
<br>
<br>
In Star Wars: The Old Republic, players will explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between the Old Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy. Players can choose to play as Jedi, Sith, or a variety of other classic Star Wars roles, defining their personal story and determining their path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way, players will befriend courageous companions who will fight at their side or possibly betray them, based on the players’ actions. Players can also choose to team up with friends to battle enemies and overcome incredible challenges using dynamic Star Wars combat.</blockquote>
<br>
Head to the <a href="http://www.swtor.com/" target="blank">official site</a> for all the typical razzle dazzle, <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20760" target="blank">Gamasutra</a> for a brief interview, or <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/922/922115p1.html" target="blank">IGN</a> for a preview:
<br>
<blockquote>Set 300 years after the events in Knights of the Old Republic (and featuring some familiar faces), Star Wars: The Old Republic will put players on either side of a massive war between the Republic and the Empire. "It's not a day-in-the-life of Star Wars," Ray emphasizes; "It's about being a hero." They want the game to fit the scale and proportions of a conflict that spans the entire galaxy. The game will follow BioWare's emphasis on "choice with consequences" with room for players to be ambiguous or conflicted about their motives. In short, Greg says, it's what BioWare fans want: a perpetual RPG that delivers the full BioWare experience.</blockquote>
<br>
There's no news about the fate of KOTOR 3 except for this less than reassuring tidbit:
<br>
<blockquote>The sense of scale, however, will make Star Wars: The Old Republic different from every other BioWare game. In response to community pressure to scrap this game and just make Knights of the Old Republic 3, the team suggests that there's enough content in Star Wars: The Old Republic to call it "Knights of the Old Republic 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9." At first hearing, it's easy to suspect that is just marketing hype, particularly since it was delivered to us more than a couple of times by more than a couple of different people. Nevertheless, it seems to be entirely accurate to claim that, in the team's words, this is "the biggest and most ridiculous BioWare game ever made."</blockquote>

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
In response to community pressure to scrap this game and just make Knights of the Old Republic 3, the team suggests that there's enough content in Star Wars: The Old Republic to call it "Knights of the Old Republic 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9."

I lol'd.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
writes a letter again...

Dear Lucas Arts,

FUCK YOU AND YOUR FUCKING MMOG! PLEASE LET OEI MAKE A KotOR III.

Love,

Jaesun

Texas Red

Whiner
"In short, Greg says, it's what BioWare fans want: a perpetual RPG that delivers the full BioWare experience."

It's good that Bioware thinks of its fans instead of selling out.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Dark Individual said:
"In short, Greg says, it's what BioWare fans want: a perpetual RPG that delivers the full BioWare experience.."

This wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that you have to share that "experience" with thousands of retarded bioware fans.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I hqate fans. ALL fans. they are scumbags who have nmo loyalty but demand it. Pathetic selfish morons whoa re coward whiny little kiddies.

tanjo

Novice
In response to community pressure to scrap this game and just make Knights of the Old Republic 3, the team suggests that there's enough content in Star Wars: The Old Republic to call it "Knights of the Old Republic 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9."

Grinding cookie-cutter quests for 2 weeks to get +3 parry does not equal content.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Everyone whined about Final Fantasy XI at first, but tons of fans bought it anyway and Square was able to make a decent buck out of it.

I'm sure Bioware has learned a lot from Star Wars Galaxies' mistakes and will not repeat them, right? Plus Bioware knows what's best for the series and the fans don't know what they're talking about because they haven't played the game! If they say it will be like playing six sequels combined then it must be true. It's not like LucasArts would have given the rights to make those sequels to anyone else, so those sequels never would have existed in the first place!

Relax guys, it'll be cool. I'm 100% sure it will be a true WoW-killer.

Balor

Arcane
Volourn said:
I hqate fans. ALL fans. they are scumbags who have nmo loyalty but demand it. Pathetic selfish morons whoa re coward whiny little kiddies.

I hate fans. All fans. They will swallow any shit thrown their way. Pathetic shit-eating monkeys.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic -

baby arm said:
the team suggests that there's enough content in Star Wars: The Old Republic to call it "Knights of the Old Republic 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9."
O rly? Then i see no reason not to sell all those 7 parts as separate games for 50$ each, if there is enough content why not?

uhjghvt

Scholar
anyone who cares or is butthurt about this is a fucking nerd and should blow their brains out

star wars is the most overexposed and overrated sci-fi setting in the world right now (only since people got sick of fucking star trek that was even worse)

if obsidian wants to make a sci-fi RPG just pick a random novel off the sci-fi shelf at your local library and you'll almost certainly get something better than star wars

FalloutBR

Educated
If they would make a server only for people who actually do have a life and can only play a couple of hours every other day it would be something to consider... Just imagine yourself playing KOTOR during a dialog sequence and then suddenly you're killed by a force lightining bolt... then all you see is a Sith lvl100 character with uber equipment jumping around your dead body and doing dancing emotes, spamming the chat with "you s@ck! lolz"... the true MMORG experience.
I fail to see how Bioware figured out that this is what fans really want...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic -

made said:
baby arm said:
The game will follow BioWare's emphasis on "choice with consequences"

I lold

-OK DEAR PEASANT, I WILL HELP YOU
-No, I won't help you
-I'll help you... FOR 50 CREDITS, MWAHAHA! o_@
-I have to think about that...

Ratty

Scholar
News article said:
Nevertheless, it seems to be entirely accurate to claim that, in the team's words, this is "the biggest and most ridiculous BioWare game ever made."
My Gran always says: "The bigger they are, the harder they fall."

Volourn said:
What's with all the self-loathing?

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Surely selecting Sith or Jedi as a character class at the beginning of the game kind of flies in the face of all that 'turning to the dark side' stuff. I mean it's not like it was a thematic cornerstone of the series or anything.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"What's with all the self-loathing?"

Nature of being a 'fan'. No mercy of the wicked, and 'fans' no matter what they are a fan of are truly the most wicked in this world.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Dear Lucasarts

You used to be cool. What the fuck happened?

Sincerely,
Andyman Messiah

Dear Bioware

You used to not suck so much. What the fuck happened?

Sincerely,
Andyman Messiah

Dear Obsidian

Sandor is standing by. Awaiting your orders.

Sincerely,
Andyman Messiah

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom