Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News It's ALLLIIIIIVE! Interplay website back from the dead

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Interplay; Project V13

Our old favourite Interplay, the undead zombie of a company that just won't let itself be put down, continues its lumbering lurch forward in its quest for legitimacy with the <a href="http://interplay.com/">release of a flash-bang spanking new website</a>.
<br>

<br>
<a href="http://www.interplay.com/about/article.php?id=24">Here's the press release</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>The site, developed over the last several months, is designed to improve the company’s communication with customers, investors, and partners. The new site includes forums based on past and future Interplay games, a customer support section, detailed information on the company and its products, and much more.
<br>

<br>
The company also announced that Chris Taylor, a game designer who was a part of the original Fallout game development team at Interplay in 1994, has rejoined the company. Taylor will serve as Lead System Designer for “Project V13,” the working title of Interplay’s next generation Massively Multiplayer Online Game (MMO) currently in development. Taylor joins other original Fallout team members on staff at Interplay’s internal game studio, which recently opened an office in Irvine, Calif. Additional development staff members continue to be hired as the project ramps-up.</blockquote>
<br>
They <a href="http://interplay.com/forums/">even have forums</a> and have opened a new office in Orange County dedicated to the new MMO which it assures us is headed by the "original creators of Fallout". Maybe a failed MMO will finally kill them once and for all?
<br>

<br>
Thanks <b>LCJr</b>!

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
This is clearly the work of lithuanian necromancers.

So who are other "original creators"? I thought Chris was the only one they grabbed?

Ausir

Arcane
So who are other "original creators"? I thought Chris was the only one they grabbed?

Jason Anderson is heading the project. Sharon Shellman, who was an artist on Fallout and Jason's wife is probably also involvedr. Chris Taylor is the Lead Systems Designer (responsible for the character system, combat mechanics, etc.). So it's at least two of the six people responsible for Fallout's original design and at least one of the rest of the original dev team.

They're also working on Earthworm Jim 4 with original creator Doug TenNapel.

BTW, remember how we were betting back in 2003 or 2004 on when Interplay would collapse? No one ever expected it to survive this long.

At this point I actually have more faith in FOOL than in FO3. Yeah, it's a MMORPG and the gameplay will likely suck, but I can't wait for new additions to the Fallout canon by the original creators.

Anyway, for all available info, see:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Project_V13_FAQ

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Thanks for the heads-up.

Ausir said:
Holy fuck, that better be a good *sidescroller* game because I love Earthworm Jim.

BTW, remember how we were betting back in 2003 or 2004 on when Interplay would collapse? No one ever expected it to survive this long.
Yeah, I remember that. It was amazing how Interplay just kept on surviving while we stood on the sidelines like bullies literally and waited for the inevitable. And the company is still not yet finished! What the hell? Does this mean the bets are still live? I think some of us had bets up to the year 3000 or something.

Ausir

Arcane
Yeah, I remember that. It was amazing how Interplay just kept on surviving while we stood on the sidelines like bullies literally and waited for the inevitable. And the company is still not yet finished! What the hell? Does this mean the bets are still live? I think some of us had bets up to the year 3000 or something.

Can anyone find that thread? I'm too lazy to look for it.

Anyway, I still don't think Fallout would work as a MMO, but I am willing to give them some benefit of doubt solely because the original devs are behind it.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
You know when you have a rabbit and you have a choice to either put it down or put it into a series of underground labyrinths filled with sadistic deathtraps and lithuanian hitmen?

That's why. We all want to see what he comes up with next.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Andyman Messiah said:
We all want to see what he comes up with next.
as history runs circular courses, whatever he comes up with next will be a glorious financial and creative plan, which will lead to the "good" old times of immediately deleting any topic about the financial situation of the company, and <s>saint</s> people shitting all over the <s>lionheart and van buren</s> v13 forum.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Andyman Messiah said:
Ausir said:
Holy fuck, that better be a good *sidescroller* game because I love Earthworm Jim.

Not a chance. 't will be 3D. Designed for the Wii too. Rayman style.

I know it's sad.

Ausir

Arcane
No link, but there's:

Coming Soon Online Chess
Interplay and the Association of Chess Professionals Online are teaming up to present ACPO Chess. Soon, you will be able to play and learn as you test your skills with chess masters and enthusiasts from around the world.

Skankster

Novice
How many times...? I feel terrible looking at the thing.

Why an MMO? The market is saturated, and people screaming for more normal RPG's, yet they must make an MMO. I suppose Herve is still the kingpin?

Fez

Erudite
At least we can dust off the old images and jokes about him and prepare for another round.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Skankster said:
How many times...? I feel terrible looking at the thing.

Why an MMO? The market is saturated, and people screaming for more normal RPG's, yet they must make an MMO. I suppose Herve is still the kingpin?

Because its Next-gen, and you can make more money on on MMO. Who wants to make a single player game that you only sell once for 50$, when you can make people buy your game for 50$ and then pay 10$ a month to keep playing.

As fond as my memories of Interplay are, from what I see on there I won't find anything interesting. Maybe they will make a modern Bard's Tale RPG? Nah, guess not.

Ausir

Arcane
Bard's Tale is owned by Fargo's InXile, not IPLY. I think only RPG titles they still own are Dragon Wars, Stonekeep, Lionheart.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Heh. Hehe. Hehehaheheh. Ehehehe, hahahahaha, aaaaahahahahahahahaha, AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

How cute.

Fez

Erudite
Clearly it is time for Lionheart 2. They can build on such great successes of the past.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Rat Keeng said:
Heh. Hehe. Hehehaheheh. Ehehehe, hahahahaha, aaaaahahahahahahahaha, AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Woah, Déjà vu. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom