Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Bounty is out - 90% review from Gamespy

Zhuangzi

Scholar
King's Bounty: The Legend has been released! Apparently it should be available in boxed form in the US as early as today, but for the rest of us it can be got from Gamersgate for US $39.99. Link is here:

http://www.gamersgate.com/index.php?pag ... &sku=DD-KB

Gamespy have already reviewed the game, and they've given it 4.5/5. I don't particularly rate Gamespy for reviews but it's nice to see them give it a top score.

This is the conclusion to the review:

Despite a couple of missteps (most notably the poor translation and storyline) none of the game's annoyances should keep any serious strategy gamer from seeking out King's Bounty: The Legend. The game's RPG trappings are just the sugarcoating for an incredibly deep and enjoyable strategic experience. There's a whole host of classic games out there just waiting for a fresh coat of paint and a serious upgrade from a developer who loves them as much as the team at Katauri Interactive obviously loves King's Bounty. Here's hoping they do as good a job!

Complete review is here:

http://au.pc.gamespy.com/pc/battle-lord/912879p1.html

That should be good enough even for you, skyway. :P

Heresiarch

Prophet
Yeah, the translation is really horrible, even worse than Space Rangers. It's bad even for someone not using English as a native language like me.

But perhaps that's how English is supposed to be spoken in medieval times.

RainSong

Scholar
Zhuangzi said:

According to the last great philosopher known as DU it all depends on the origin. If Skyway is Russian then he's already a fanboy of this game, even if he don't know about it yet.

Balor

Arcane
RainSong said:
Zhuangzi said:

According to the last great philosopher known as DU it all depends on the origin. If Skyway is Russian then he's already a fanboy of this game, even if he don't know about it yet.

He is Ukrainian, therefore... oh well, he still like it, though managed to whine about the fact that copyprotection was removed from Russian version by 1.63 patch. Yea, to quote myself, he's that good.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
From the demo, I found the translation decent, far from perfect but not horrible. It might be because I've seen some really awful ones.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Let's see, the reviewer thinks that following measures are needed:
- autoresolve so that all combat could be removed from game
- central creature bank so that player wont need to care about his army suffering any losses.
- fast travel so that player won't need to move around game world.

He wants entire gameplay removed from the game. Where do they find such retards?

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Hamster said:
Let's see, the reviewer thinks that following measures are needed:
- autoresolve so that all combat could be removed from game
- central creature bank so that player wont need to care about his army suffering any losses.
- fast travel so that player won't need to move around game world.

He wants entire gameplay removed from the game. Where do they find such retards?
Going into combat to throw a bunch of fireballs and watch the enemy tropps die before they can even get an attack isn't all that necessary, I'd say. Autoresolve for small fry would be an improvement. Or not having to bother with small fry at all, ideally.
The point of fast travel would be to cut down on time spent on uneventful travel, I believe. Not sure how severe backtracking is in the game, though.
As for the creature bank: the way I read it was simply having larger reserves, so you can have a wider variety of troops at your disposal, instead of having to run around the world to get the specific troops you want. Doesn't mean you wouldn't need to care about losses, but it'd definitely lessen the planning needed to decide what army you'd use.

Oarfish

Prophet
Gah, only on gamers gate. I hate that site. Looks like it has been put together by coke addled chimps.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Russian 1.6 patch has starforce and any other copy protection removed. Incidently, with the exe from that patch you can also play the english version without a cd. At least that's what my sources tell me.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
The Gamersgate version doesn't have Starforce OR Securom. It has a strange new form of copy protection known as a "SERIAL NUMBER." :lol:

Heresiarch

Prophet
Oops, I'm wrong again. Please pick up the interest again and burn me on a stick.

A user named cat

Just got a hold of this game and been trying it out, very Blizzard-like visuals and gameplay seems decent. Not far enough to give any type of fair views yet, but I will say the battles are nothing great.

Have any of you guys ever played Ascension to the Throne?

It had the same type of grid based combat system as this, but was a lot better and felt more fluid as well as giving you more camera control. Played through it a year or two ago, great game despite some balancing issues. No idea why it never got any publicity, you can't even really find reviews for it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
RainSong said:
Skyway is Russian

fuck you

Balor said:
He is Ukrainian, therefore... oh well, he still like it, though managed to whine about the fact that copyprotection was removed from Russian version by 1.63 patch. Yea, to quote myself, he's that good.

Yes I like it. But what that shitty CP did in my 1.0 again to begin with? And why every time a game gets published by 1 Ass I must become a paying beta-tester for it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom