Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum 1024x768 Edition [Discontinued]

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
The project is discontinued.

If you still have any version of this patch installed and would like to use the latest version of the UAP, then you need to uninstall the patch by deleting the following files:
Arcanum1024x768.exe
Arcanum8.dat
modules\Arcanum.PATCH3
Arcanum 1024x768 Edition.txt
ArcanumXSplash1024x768.dat (if you have it)

Please do not try using the patch with the latest UAP, it will definitely cause problems.

EDIT: The proper patch is now available. Go here.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The maps look really nice. As for the others, would it be possible to center things rather than just filling the right side with empty panel?

drunkpriest

Scholar
I get a bink32.dll error when I use the old 1024x768 resolution mod you made. Am I a moron that missed a thread?

Deleted member 7219

This is a great looking mod but it doesn't help people who use widescreen monitors, like I do. Has anyone made a widescreen resolution mod? One that would support 1650x1050?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
The maps look really nice. As for the others, would it be possible to center things rather than just filling the right side with empty panel?
Should be possible, but it's a pain in the ass to reposition each and every button/bar/counter/etc.

drunkpriest said:
I get a bink32.dll error when I use the old 1024x768 resolution mod you made. Am I a moron that missed a thread?
Looks like you're installing it to a wrong folder. Check the installation path.

spiwak

Novice
I don't care about widescreen as I can just tell my graphic card to always maintain aspect ratio, but this looks a LOT nicer than the other one. I tried out your older version and frankly didn't understand how to do anything. But I agree with Kamikaze in that I think I'd like to see the menus centered. With or without the wood paneling. I used the Fallout 2 resolution mod and really liked that all the menus could be programmed to pop up wherever I liked. I made them centered on the X-axis but centered between the top of the screen and the task bar for the y-axis. Didn't look that bad, even though the map was still visible around the menu.

I'll try this out a little later tonight and post some real thoughts. Keep up the good work, mate. :thumbsup:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Drog, you won't have to resize icons for f.e. 1280x800
as it is just basically the same 1024x768 only with widened viewport. All you will need to do is just to place UI into the centre (like the one in D3). I'm sure that me and other widescreenfags will be willing to test it for you.
1 WS resolution will be enough.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Great job as always Drog, but yes, it would be great if we could also get a widescreen resolution.

Looks great. And I'm lucky, because 1024x768 is the resolution I'd use even if more were available.
btw, how do you change those values? I'm just curious, I'm not going to steal your work.

spiwak

Novice
skyway said:
as it is just basically the same 1024x768 only with widened viewport. All you will need to do is just to place UI into the centre (like the one in D3). I'm sure that me and other widescreenfags will be willing to test it for you.
This is true. My laptop's monitor is 1280x800 and I'd be willing to test it, or help out if you yourself don't have a widescreen monitor.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
spiwak said:
skyway said:
This is true. My laptop's monitor is 1280x800 and I'd be willing to test it, or help out if you yourself don't have a widescreen monitor.
I can help with the 1280x1024. From what I tried out, the resize works fine, but over half the screen (outside the HUD) is covered with the grass tiles.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
OK, the initial version is ready. Almost all menus have been redrawn so they fill the whole screen. Only the main menu, options and some multiplayer related screens were not resized, as it's not really needed.

I'm quite happy with this version, so unless somebody finds a bug there will be no additions/changes any time soon.

Vicinity checks in scripts seem to work fine. The resolution isn't that high, so there's a slim chance of a bug.

The patch works on any version of the game that has the 1.0.7.4 patch, but the UAP is recommended. The patch has all the UAP specific engine tweaks. Also, it uses separate files, so you're still able to play in the original resolution if you have the mod installed.

In addition, I'd like to note that at any rate the game was never meant to be played in a resolution higher than 800x600 and this mod wasn't tested a lot, so there's a chance that you may run into a bug. In that case, please report it in this thread and it will be fixed.

The first post is updated with the download link.

Mareus

Magister
Thank you for all you have done on Arcanum. It will make the game truly more enjoyable. :salute:

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
A small update:
-Sounds positioning is changed, according to the resolution.
-The last action slots now work correctly when the original HUD is used in the fullscreen mode.

Updated the first post.

If only Troika had you on the team, Drog. If only.

This is awesome stuff. If an innovative, new, and challenging RPG comes around that needs a play tester and additional designer you should really consider joining.

spiwak

Novice
Looks good. I still think centering would be easier to use, but the menus are nice. Also, is there a way to make more party portraits appear on screen? I have 6 and a familiar (boring, I know) so there's always one not showing, but the additional resolution obviously leaves room for plenty more to be shown. If not, no big deal.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
spiwak said:
Looks good. I still think centering would be easier to use, but the menus are nice. Also, is there a way to make more party portraits appear on screen? I have 6 and a familiar (boring, I know) so there's always one not showing, but the additional resolution obviously leaves room for plenty more to be shown. If not, no big deal.
Each portrait (and a pop up menu) uses its own code, so I'd have to add some new code in order to add another portrait. And that's quite difficult.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Have just downloaded and installed it. I like that it adds a shortcut "Arcanum in 1024x768", so I dont have to worry about uninstalling it. I also like that it will work with the Drog patch as well as the 1.0.7.4, so it should be possible to go on playing with my current game.

You should make that clear in the description, however. When I downloaded I was worried with which patch it would run.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Just so much: I tried it and it works nicely. As long as the menus can not be resized it's not for me, reminds me too much of playing Kotor, clicking away on tiny windows while most real estate is wasted. But great job, it sure is an achievement for ppl who like to play it that way.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Another tiny bugfix: fixed a compatibility issue with the Extra Pack.

NOTE: If you already have the Extra Pack and the 1024x768 mod v080803 installed, then reinstall the Extra Pack, and then install the new, 080806 version of the mod.

First post updated.

Pozo

Novice
Hey there Drog,
I'm new to Arcanum but not to RPG's (by troika) so I started looking for a community patch immediately. I can't believe you released a version so recently, amazing effort! Thanks a bunch for it.

For this part, the higher resolution patch/exe, how difficult is it to change the resolution? I'm planning to run Arcanum on my brand new MSI Wind notebook which features a 1024x600 resolution. Playing it at 800x600 is therefore no issue, but I'd like to be able to use the sides of the screen as well. The UI sizes do not have to be changed, but I'd like to extend the viewport to both sides if possible.

If you think it is possible for me to make this small modification (as someone with 'advanced general computer skills' and basic programming skills), could you point me in the right direction? I can't find anything about it on the net except for what you've made.

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom