Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview PSM3 falls in love with Oblivion with Guns

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

<a href="http://forums.n4g.com/m_178578/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#178578">There are some scans of a PSM3 article up on the N4G forums</a>. It's of their hands on preview of Fallout 3. Here are some choice bits:
<br>
<blockquote>In fact, at times it feels exactly like Oblivion in terms of mission structure and the way you navigate the world. We loved Oblivion so we aren't complaining, but if you found Cyrodiil's vast openness daunting or the RPG mechanics too complicated, Fallout 3 might not be the game for you. Especially since the game is ten times as customisable.
<br>
<br>
Say you have five Action Points, you could fire at their head five times...
<br>
<br>
We find an old sentry bot lying in a junk pile and manage to activate it, after which it becomes our personal body guard…until a Deatclaw - a monster mutated from a grizzly bear - tears it to pieces, then kills us.
<br>
<br>
You can create new weapons from scratch by scavenging for parts. For example, find an old leaf blower, combine it with a lawnmower blade and another few items and you create your own portable rocket launcher that’s able to fire any object you see in the world at high speeds; almost like a retro-fit Half-Life gravity gun.
<br>
<br>
Later, in a moment of madness, we wander into the heart of DC, despite warnings from the developers, and get vaporized by a remote sentry gun and a gang on Enclave soldiers.</blockquote>
<br>
Deathclaws are Grizzly Bears now? And people found Oblivion's mechanics daunting? <a href="http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=855939&st=0">12 skills have also been confirmed</a>. Speech is not among them (though apparently, there is an as yet unrevealed 13th skill)...
<br>
<blockquote>Small Guns
<br>
Big Guns
<br>
Energy Weapons
<br>
Melee Combat
<br>
Unarmed
<br>
Medicine
<br>
Sneak
<br>
Lockpick
<br>
Explosives
<br>
Science
<br>
Repair
<br>
Barter</blockquote>
<br>
You can <a href="http://fallout3.wordpress.com/2008/07/06/psm3-fallout-3-special/">check some more on Brio's Blog</a>.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Vault Dweller</b> and <a href="http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=24972">everyone else in this thread</a>!

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
if you found Cyrodiil's vast openness daunting or the RPG mechanics too complicated
if you found Cyrodiil's vast openness daunting
or the RPG mechanics too complicated
the RPG mechanics too complicated
a Deatclaw - a monster mutated from a grizzly bear
a Deatclaw -
a monster mutated from a grizzly bear

gc051360

Scholar
The forum that one of those links linked to...was kind of funny.

A few of them got their Dark Knight sigs. So, they will buy hype from video game developers, and movie makers.

But then something is brought up about the hardcore fans. A few of them make fun of them...but then when someone mentions FO:BOS...they jump on "No way. That's not a real Fallout game"

They are just bandwagon jumpers. They even jump on the "FO: POS SUCKS!!!" bandwagon.

How can one declare that FO:BOS isn't a real Fallout game, but Fallout 3 looks awesome?

DraQ

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
if you found Cyrodiil's vast openness daunting or the RPG mechanics too complicated
a Deatclaw -
kingcomrade said:
a Deatclaw -
kingcomrade said:
a Deatclaw -

*facepalm*
I wonder how Todd can sleep at night - doesn't he know what grisly fate would await him if he fell into the hands of rabid Fallout fans?

Mareus

Magister
The best way to piss off Todd is not to buy FO3. Seriously, if you guys here don't like what he is doing, just don't fucking support his game.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
DarkUnderlord said:
Speech is not among them (though apparently, there is an as yet unrevealed 13th skill)...

I already see a "diplomacy" skill used to get better quest rewards (let's say 10% more nuka-cola caps) and a chance to learn the location of hidden dun... *ekhm* vaults when you pick "Rumors" during the dialogue.

Oh, yeah and a mandatory LOL @ PSM3.

Lumpy

Arcane
gc051360 said:
A few of them got their Dark Knight sigs. So, they will buy hype from video game developers, and movie makers.
Well, Nolan does know how to make his movies pretty damn well.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
gc051360 said:
Well, Nolan does know how to make his movies pretty damn well.
Don't get me started on his first batman. It was utterly hopeless and Christian Bale was the longest nail in the coffin.

However, however! After seeing some images of Joker from the Dark Knight, I must say I have some hopes. Totally different than Nicholson's Joker which was stellar, and not very original [inspired by countless instances of cruel monster clowns] but it does work methinks.

Gosling

Liturgist
I'm probably too late to this ball - but minigames for lockpick and science skills? So I should invest my experience points into these skills only to be forced to play a fucking minigame in any case? Wtf?

Is there anybody except gamedevs who actually thinks that minigames are fun?
(Not that I was going to buy or play FO3 anyways)

Mareus

Magister
Gosling said:
I'm probably too late to this ball - but minigames for lockpick and science skills? So I should invest my experience points into these skills only to be forced to play a fucking minigame in any case? Wtf?

Is there anybody except gamedevs who actually thinks that minigames are fun?
(Not that I was going to buy or play FO3 anyways)

I actually liked lockpicking minigame in Oblivion. And spending points also made it a lot easier to open locks, so it was actually something Bethcrap did well in my oppinion. But the conversation minigame was a monstrosity. So to answer your question I think minigames if done correctly can enhance gameplay. The witcher minigames are an example how to do it correctly.

FalloutBR

Educated
12 skills have also been confirmed. Speech is not among them

Why would Bethesda put a Speech skill in the game? That would mean actually creating some real dialog trees and therefore making an entirely different game... If they got such high review scores with Oblivion half-assed dialogs why even make the effort? That may even be for the better since their conversation producing division (or whatever it's called) is probably just a room full of monkeys, bananas and typewriters...

Texas Red

Whiner
Shouldn't the title be "Bethesda FAILS in love with Oblivion with Gunt?"

DraQ

Arcane
Mareus said:
I actually liked lockpicking minigame in Oblivion. And spending points also made it a lot easier to open locks, so it was actually something Bethcrap did well in my oppinion
*triple facepalm*

How did they fucking make this right if you can open the fucking hardest lock in the entire fucking game with a fucking single fucking lockpick even if your fucking character's fucking security skill is at fucking level five which is the fucking absolute lowest starting value???

*utter despair*

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I just couldn't agree more with DraQ here, 'minigames' are the fucking plague of modern gaming.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
It's not a minigame if you don't notice it...
Which you certainly will.

I think the 13th skill is riding those robot ponies.

Texas Red

Whiner
It's rather funny how nobody seems surprised that there isn't a speech skill.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
There is a speech skill. Been confirmed by Emil over on the BS forums. The games journo got it wrong, unsurprisingly.

Still, there's something new to talk about, from http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43240:

* The role of Charisma is lower than in previous games, Fallout 3 relies on combat much more than FO1 and FO2. However, we'll be able to use stealth throughout most of the game.

Of course, given how accurate games journalists have been so far, it's possible it's a misquote.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Mr. Teatime said:
Been confirmed by Emil over on the BS forums.

Isn't it peculiar how "BS" also stands for bullshit?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom