Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

*out of date* - PS:T 1024x768 UI pack (v0.6)

*out of date* now that the much more advanced UI mod by ghostdog supports any resolution.

---

Planescape: Torment 1024x768 UI pack
Version 0.6
Authors: The Vanished One, with a lot of help from taplonaplo, ghostdog, scient and others (see THANKS)

IMPORTANT NOTES:
This is a beta release: problems are possible. If you experience problems, report them here.
2CD version note: I only own the 4CD version of Torment. Many changes in Torment.exe 2CD are untested. They *should* work. If you find anomalies, please report them.

INTRODUCTION & FEATURES

Thanks to the bigg's Widescreen Mod, you can run Planescape: Torment at resolutions higher than 640x480. The mod only enlarges the main game view; the screens (load, save, statistics, inventory etc.) are put on a black background, because editing the whole interface for every possible resolution would be a long and tedious work.
I have edited most of the interface, to improve how it looks, for a single resolution (1024x768).

When installing the pack, you can choose between two options:

1 - Planescape: Torment 1024x768 UI pack - No backgrounds

-Most UI windows (character generation, inventory, journal, map, mage spells, priest spells, statistics, world map) have been replaced with the original 640x480 versions. (i.e., the black bars around them have been removed.) Now, when opened, they allow the underlying menu or the gameworld to be seen around them. All screens are also centered;
-The start menu and the options menu have been resized to fit the whole monitor;
-The backgrounds for the save game, load game and keyboard mappings screens have been edited to fake the underlying menu. Simply restoring the original 640x480 windows would cause some problems;
-The spells now display better and are properly centered, although some problems remain;
-The camera centers correctly during dialogue;
-The UI bars for party members, for taking items, to reform the party etc. have been edited to fill the black rectangles. The art has been taken from the game files;
-The movies are now centered, except for the credits cinematic;
-The action menu can now be opened anywhere in the main game view;
-The loading game, saving game, unloading data and insert CD screens now fit the whole screen.

Note that option 1 will "install with warnings". This should not cause problems, and testing hasn't found any up to now.

2 - Planescape: Torment 1024x768 UI pack - With backgrounds

Similar to the first option, but most restored and centered 640x480 windows (character generation, inventory, journal, map, mage spells, priest spells, statistics, world map, load game, save game) have a 1024x768 background that covers the rest of the screen around them. This background has been created by me using art from the game files. My goal was to create something unobtrusive that would blend nicely with the original 640x480 backgrounds. I think that the result is good.

A fix for the tooltips is also installed. All tooltips for elements of the UI that are at no more than 832 pixels from the left of the monitor will now display in the right position. Allowing them to display in the whole 1024x768 box would be possible, but would cause other display issues.

If you wish to know more about what the mod changes, you can open Setup-PST-1024x768UI.tp2 and the .tph files with notepad and take a look at the notes.

SCREENSHOTS

Both options

blackislelogo.jpg

Torment2008-07-0416-37-16-88.jpg

Torment2008-07-0416-37-55-91.jpg

Torment2008-08-2620-04-54-79.jpg

1] Planescape: Torment 1024x768 UI pack - No backgrounds

Torment2008-08-2620-15-50-75.jpg

Torment2008-11-2921-08-31-03.jpg

Torment2008-11-2921-08-03-87.jpg

2] Planescape: Torment 1024x768 UI pack - With backgrounds

Torment2008-08-2620-16-51-09.jpg

Torment2008-08-2620-17-03-59.jpg

new_jrnl_screen.jpg

KNOWN ISSUES

Option 1

-The restored 640x480 windows have a drawback: while they allow you to see part of the game area while they're open, any object or character that is moving as the window is opened may flicker. The clock in the lower UI bar will always flicker. If you are scrolling the game area as you open any window, the whole game area will flicker. It's unlikely that I'll ever be able to fix this. If you can't stand the flickering, install option 2;
-The fix for the tooltips is not installed, because of minor display problems;
-Part of the world map screen will remain visible under the map sceen when the former is closed. Something similar happens after you level up a character. Everything disappears correctly once you rerurn to the main game view.

Option 2

-The tooltips aren't allowed to display outside of a 832x768 box (aligned eft). Workarounds to let them display in the whole 1024x768 box are possible, but none is currently implemented.

Both options

-The position of the animations for some spell effects needs some tweaking;
-The credits cinematic is not properly centered for unknown reasons;
-The "insert CD" screen fits the whole screen, but its notice isn't properly centered.

DOWNLOADS

-----------------------
Latest: version 0.6
-----------------------

Download (courtesy of computergames.ro)
Download (MediaFire)

-----------------------
Previous: version 0.5
-----------------------

Download (courtesy of computergames.ro)
Download (Mediafire)
Download (Rapidshare)

INSTALLATION, UNINSTALLATION AND UPGRADE

This mod is packaged with the immensely useful WeiDU utility, that will take care of the installation process, allow for easy uninstallation and preserve compatibility with other WeiDU mods.

-----------------
Requirements:
-----------------

This mod will only work if the latest patch (1.1) is applied. Only the 4CD version of the game requires patching. Before you install the UI pack, install the Widescreen mod for Ps:T, BG TotSC, BG2 SoA, BG2 ToB, IWD HoW, and IWD2 v1 by the bigg (a full installation of Torment is required by the widescreen mod), and select a resolution of 1024x768. Other resolutions won't work. Remember that you have to start a new game for the widescreen mod to properly work. However, this UI pack can be installed and uninstalled at any time.

------------------
Full installation:
------------------

If you don't know how to perform a full installation of Torment, follow this guide (that also contains helpful performance-related tips):

http://www.bootstrike.com/Torment/Online/tti2.html

------------------------------------
Compatibility with other mods:
------------------------------------

This pack is compatible with Qwinn's fixpack, tweak tools and Unfinished Business pack. I strongly recommend that you use them.

Theoretically, this UI pack should be compatible with any other WeiDU mods, but not with those that change the UI (except the Widescreen Mod obviously).

----------------------------------------
How to install, re-install, uninstall:
----------------------------------------

To install the pack, extract the contents of PST-1024x768UIpack.rar to the directory of your Planescape: Torment game, then run Setup-PST-1024x768UI.exe and follow the instructions. You don't need to backup any file, the WeiDU installer will do that for you.
To re-install, uninstall, or choose a different option, run Setup-PST-1024x768UI.exe again.

--------------------
How to upgrade:
--------------------

To upgrade any previous version to 0.6, you will need to uninstall it and delete its folder and files first (the PST-1024x768UI folder, Setup-PST-1024x768UI.exe and Setup-PST-1024x768UI.tp2). Deleting folder and files is only a precaution if you're upgrading from v0.5, but is necessary if you have an older version.

EXTRAS

Install the pack before any of these.
Files archived with 7-zip, a powerful open source file archiver.

Original dialogue box
You can restore the original, narrow dialogue box (640 pixels), if you want. You need to download this file and extract it in the Torment/override folder. Then you need to copy guiworld.chu from the Torment\PST-1024x768UI\backup directory (you will find it in a folder labelled either 1 or 0) and paste it in the override folder, overwriting again. These files will be uninstalled together with the mod, so don't worry about backups.

Original option 1 windows

For option 1 only! Do not use with option 2.

In case you dislike the new split windows, you can restore the old ones. Download the archive below and extract it in the Torment/override folder, overwriting all the previous files. Everything will uninstall on its own with the UI pack, so you don't need to backup the older files.

Download (MediaFire)

"Rusty" UI bars
These are other versions of the interface bars, with the black parts filled with a "rusty metal" motif like in v0.1 & v0.2. I figured that someone may prefer these to the new "grate" motif, so here they are. To install them, download the archive and extract it into the "override" folder, overwriting all the previous files. It will be uninstalled when you uninstall the UI pack. Do not extract WMMOSDP.mos if you use v0.6 (or the wide dialogue box with previous versions). If you accidentally extract WMMOSDP.mos in the override folder, you can find the wide version in the Torment\PST-1024x768UI\UI_COMMON folder (put it in the override folder).

WMMOS2.jpg

GPMOS5.jpg

WMMOSDP.jpg

Download (MediaFire)

THANKS

*Thanks to the bigg for the awesome Widescreen mod. It improves Torment immensely.

*Thanks to the people that developed these tools:

DLTC Editor Pro
MOS Workshop
BamWorkshop I
Near Infinity
Infinity Explorer
WeiDU

Without them I wouldn't have been able to do anything.

*Thanks to these people that went through Torment.exe and posted the offsets that were needed to make most of this mod work (their contributions in detail are found in Setup-PST-1024x768UI.tp2 and in the .tph files):

taplonaplo
ghostdog
weak-ling (The Gibberlings Three Forums).

In particular, thanks to taplonaplo and ghostdog for their work with spells and thanks to taplonaplo for posting all the 2CD version offsets.

*Thanks to taplonaplo, scient, Qwinn and elricbk for many scripts and pieces of code used by the mod.

*Thanks to Bossman for hosting the mod at computergames.ro.

VERSION HISTORY

v0.6 (beta)

-In option 1 the UI screens are now split: the lower bar stays in the usual position (against the lower side of the monitor), and only the main screen is centered;
-The wide dialogue box is now installed by default;

v0.5 (beta)

-The store screen for option 1 is now without background, as the others. The flickering has been solved thanks to a fix by taplonaplo;
-The loading bar now works, thanks to code by taplonaplo, Qwinn and scient;
-Mod size decreased, thanks to code by (guess who) taplonaplo, Qwinn and scient;
-A line of code, left by mistake, prevented the loading game, saving game, unloading data and insert CD screens from being edited in Torment 2CD, and has been removed. Some mistakes in the notes have also been corrected;
-Some improvements have been made in the code.

v0.4 (beta)

-Now compatible with the 2CD version of Torment without the need of extra files;
-Spells now display better, although some problems remain;
-Some issues with transparency have been fixed, you may now increase brightness and contrast without parts of the interface turning green;
-The saving game, loading game, unloading data and insert CD screens now fit the whole sceen (NOTE: there are minor problems with them, check the "known issues" list);
-The Keyboard Mappings screen has been centered.

v0.3 (beta)

-All the screens are now centered, except for the keyboard mappings screen;
-The pack can now be installed in two versions: with or without 1024x768 backgrounds;
-The action menu can now be opened anywhere in the game view;
-The game view is now properly centered during dialogue;
-The movies are now centered, except for the credits cinematic;
-The art used to fill the black rectangles has been replaced.

v0.2 (beta)

-The optional tooltips fix has been included;
-Upgraded to WeiDU 208.

v0.1 (beta)

-Initial release.

[OLD]

I managed to make a working 1024X768 start menu (image is resized):

This looks like the original 640X480 start menu, but it's actually 1024X768. I did this with DLTC Editor Pro, BAM Workshop I, the already mentioned MOS Workshop (grab all the tools here) and a bit of patience.
It's not very difficult, so maybe I'll edit a couple more menus. Up to now, everything works fine, although I didn't test everything extensively.

If anyone is interested in the files, I can upload them. They will only work with the widescreen mod installed with a resolution of 1024X768. I have also Qwinn's fixpack, unfinished business and tweak tools installed, so there could be incompatibilities.

Cthulhugoat said:
Oh, yes. Please do. Maybe that will make the mod work. Thank you very much.

What's not working? I'm just editing some files, I doubt they will act as a patch.

Anyway, this "UI pack", as I've decided to call it, is turning out decently. I will edit most of the UI and briefly test it, then I will upload everything for public testing.

More pics. Tell me what you think about them. These are all 1024x768 screenshots, resized to waste less bandwidth.

Start menu
Torment2008-07-0416-37-16-88.jpg

New game
Torment2008-07-0416-37-19-72.jpg

Load game
Torment2008-07-0416-37-40-30.jpg

Options menu
Torment2008-07-0416-37-55-91.jpg

Save game
Torment2008-07-0416-38-26-50.jpg

Journal
Torment2008-07-0416-38-45-47.jpg

Inventory
Torment2008-07-0416-38-52-95.jpg

Priest spells
Torment2008-07-0416-38-56-00.jpg

I managed to recreate the full start menu and options menu. As for the rest of the UI, my goal is to remove all the annoying black spaces. Resizing everything would mean too much work, and I've already encountered problems. I also tried centering all the interface panels, but that caused some issues (backgrounds not displaying properly) so I've left them in the upper left corner.
You might have noticed the piece of rusty metal background I've put on the lower interface bar to cover the black space. That's ok, but I'd like to put a better image there. Suggestions are welcome.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
The Vanished One said:
You might have noticed the piece of rusty metal background I've put on the lower interface bar to cover the black space. That's ok, but I'd like to put a better image there. Suggestions are welcome.
0001dh0.jpg

But I'm not your target audience since I use 1280x800.

mahdi said:
Looks great, but does the game still crash when you enter small buildings?
Up to now, that has never happened to me (I've just started playing, I've entered several small places in the Hive). Whatever is the cause, it's very unlikely that my UI will fix it. Try the official forum, if you haven't already.

edit-
Ander Vinz said:
I already tried that, but it's a bit... misleading. It does look better though, maybe I'll follow your suggestion.

I wish I could do something more, but I'm no programmer and editing everything again for every resolution would be too much work.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
The Vanished One said:
t's a bit... misleading
You can fill all space with that texture but it'll look worse.

I wish I could do something more, but I'm no programmer and editing everything again for every resolution would be too much work.
I'm okay with black spaces, thank you.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
The Vanished One said:
Cthulhugoat said:
Oh, yes. Please do. Maybe that will make the mod work. Thank you very much.

What's not working? I'm just editing some files, I doubt they will act as a patch.

Last time I tried to install it, I had several problems. Nevermind, though. It might be the game version or whatever. Your edits look good, rock on.

Change: I originally intended to "break" all the in-game UI windows to keep the lower interface bar always in the same place. Example (from the previous update):

Torment2008-07-0416-38-52-95.jpg

I like how it looks, but it's not without issues. It's slightly unpractical because the party member icons are needlessly away from the main panel; moreover, all the tooltips of the lower interface bar don't disappear and keep flickering on the screen until the window is closed.
The alternative is this:

Torment2008-07-0517-51-06-67.jpg

Torment2008-07-0517-51-19-21.jpg

Torment2008-07-0517-51-46-95.jpg

The duplicate interface looks slightly awkward (and the lower one doesn't work), but party management is quicker and tooltips display properly. The currently implemented solution is this one.
Known issue with both solutions: When any window is opened, any character/object that was moving may flicker until the window is closed. Not game-breaking, but still annoying. I'll try to work on that, but it's unlikely I'll ever fix it.
A third possible solution would be to use the original UI windows installed by the widescreen mod, but I prefer to see the gameworld.

As for the black rectangles on the UI bars, I've edited most of them and I'll do the rest as I progress through the game. Examples:

Torment2008-07-0517-52-17-81.jpg

Torment2008-07-0517-52-40-25.jpg

I think those look passable, and will do until the rest has been finished and tested. Then perhaps I'll try to come up with something better.

There's not much work left to do before a basic "1024x768 UI pack" is ready. I will then test it for a while, and hopefully I'll be able to release it before I go on vacation, so that anyone can try it. It will be a beta release, problems are possible.
The pack has a WeiDU installer, which allows easy setup and uninstall.

Thrasher

Erudite
How about scaling up the text? All the reading in conversations is what killed the widescreen mod for me.

aboyd

Liturgist
There is an alternative to the default font, isn't that true? Didn't they do a "more readable" font as an option somehow? Or am I thinking of another game? I don't see the optional font on Platter's pages, so I'm thinking I'm probably wrong....

Thrasher said:
How about scaling up the text? All the reading in conversations is what killed the widescreen mod for me.
It's possible. You have to resize every frame in fontdlg.bam. It doesn't look very good though, the font size is too small. I guess it would be possible to make a new font entirely, but it would take a lot of time and I'm not sure it would display properly.
Which resolution did you use, by the way? It's fine at 1024x768 on my 17'' LCD.

aboyd said:
There is an alternative to the default font, isn't that true? Didn't they do a "more readable" font as an option somehow? Or am I thinking of another game? I don't see the optional font on Platter's pages, so I'm thinking I'm probably wrong....
There's this option, in Qwinn's tweak pack:

14. Use Floating Text Font Globally

This replaces the font which is used everywhere except in floating text with the font used only for floating text. Many may consider it easier to read.
Were you referring to this?

Thrasher

Erudite
Don't remember the resolution. But I tried them all on my 15" screen, and for all of them, the text was too small. :(

aboyd

Liturgist
The Vanished One said:
This replaces the font which is used everywhere except in floating text with the font used only for floating text. Many may consider it easier to read.
Were you referring to this?
I think so. The comment about it being easier to read sounds like what I remember about it. So yeah, that's probably the alternative font I remembered. It's worth a shot....

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Looks good The Vanished One. Just some suggestions/ideas:

The inventory screens ect.. showing in the top left hand corner seem an odd placement (to me) could they possibly be centered on the screen? Or possibly can they be resized to fill the entire screen? (Like the original).

Anyways good job!

Ok, I'm back. But I'll be away again in two days, so I won't do a lot of work...
Jaesun said:
The inventory screens ect.. showing in the top left hand corner seem an odd placement
Yes, it is, but centering them causes some small but annoying display issues. I'm working on that.
As you mentioned, resizing would be a good solution, but there are issues with that as well. The widescreen mod keeps the main game view UI bars (clock, party members, commands) at the original size. All the screens that display those bars are better kept at the original resolution (i.e. not resized to be enlarged), so that they don't show bars that are bigger than the ones the player can see in the main view (that would be odd). So, the best solution would be (in my opinion) to resize only the screens that are accessed via the main menu and the options menu, and center everything else on an appropriate background. But as I mentioned I'm having troubles doing that.

I'm going to post all the problems I've encountered while trying to center the UI screens in the widescreen mod forum. Perhaps someone will be able to tell me how to fix them. I'd also like to fix the tooltips, but I suspect that it won't be easy, or else the bigg would have already done that.

przemciupol

Novice
Hi

I have a problem. After installation Planescape: Torment 1024x768 UI pack I have message like
“An Assertion failed in F\Torment\Source\bladur\ChUIControls.cpp at line number 527”

After uninstallation of Torment 1024x768 UI pack everythink works fine.
I’ve tried this pack on 2 and 4CD polish version of Planescape Toment. And on both version is the same problem. Please help me

That usually happens when the position/size of an UI panel is not the correct one for the game's resolution. Perhaps you've installed the Widescreen mod after the UI pack. The Widescreen mod should be installed before the UI pack. Sorry if you didn't understand that, I'll edit the installation notes for clarity. Try uninstalling both the UI pack and the Widescreen mod, then reinstall them in the correct order. Be sure that you select a resolution of 1024x768 in the widescreen mod installation. Remember that you have to start a new game. The Widesceen mod won't work with old saves.
If it still doesn't work, please post which mods you are using (besides the widescreen mod and the UI pack). I'll do my best.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hey Vanished One, I'm trying to make something similar for a widescreen resolution. How exactly have you managed to resize and move the buttons in the starting screen? ( I mean the "new life" "abyss" "resume life" buttons)

To resize the buttons, I used BamWorkshop I. It worked better than BamWorkshop II for me. You have to resize all the frames for every button (there's only a couple of frames for each). I had a problem, after I had edited the frames the pink pixels in the BAM file (transparent in theory I guess) were pink in the game as well. I had to paint them black with BamWorkshop (luckily the buttons are on a black background in the main screen, so everything looks fine).
To move the buttons, you have to change their position with DLTCEP. Open it, set Torment as its game, be sure to go in setup and uncheck "read only"; then select edit>UI, click Load UI. START is the main screen. The right window is "1 0", the buttons are listed under "select control". You can select each one and edit its position on the right; the first cell after the "ID" cell is for the x axis, the other is for the y axis.
To insert the correct values, I divided 1024 by 640 and 768 by 480 (=1.6 for both) and multiplied all the position values by 1.6.

Good luck with your mod. If you haven't already, check the various tools available here. I used Infinity Explorer and Near Infinity to navigate through the game files and export the ones I needed (such as the .BAM files for the buttons) and MOS Workshop to edit the .MOS files (backgrounds).
Also, you can package your mod with WeiDU.
http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/README-WeiDU.html
http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/README-WeiDU.html#htoc19
http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/README-WeiDU.html#htoc44

In my pack's .rar, you can find Setup-PST-1024x768UI.tp2. Open it with notepad and take a look at it, if you want.
Also, you can check this thread I posted in the Widescreen mod forums to discuss some problems.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for the detailed info VO , I'll definitely give it a shot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom