Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2: Storm of Zehir expansion (now confirmed)

Starwars

Arcane
Check out the top newspost on this Spanish (I think) NWN site: http://www.neverwinteros.com/

Here's the description:

Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir hearkens back to the days of the Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale franchises by including full party customization, dungeon crawling, and free exploration of a non-linear game world via an Overland Map. The gripping storyline foreshadows the events that will take place in the Forgotten Realms with the coming of release this June of the Fourth Edition of Dungeons & Dragons® Roleplaying Game.

In the aftermath of the defeat of the King of Shadows, the Sword Coast is in the midst of an uneasy economic recovery. Trade syndicates have sprung up to exploit the post-war confusion for their own ends. The players’ party will wade into this uncertain environment; in order to increase their own fortunes, they can either ally with a syndicate to create a trade empire, or cut their own path through Faerûn by preying upon caravans and selling the goods on the black market. As they attempt to extend their influence, players will become aware of a new faction working behind the scenes: the evil, shapeshifting, serpentine Yuan-Ti.

In addition to trading and economic manipulation, the Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir Overland Map allows players to explore the Chultan Peninsula and Sword Coast in a non-linear manner never before seen in any of the Neverwinter Nights games. Exploration will take players from well-known locations, like Neverwinter and Crossroad Keep, to more exotic areas, such as the xenophobic jungle nation of Samarach. Groups of highwaymen and monsters populate the Overland Map and the farther from civilization the player roams, the more difficult the encounters become. The 15-hour campaign in Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir is also packed with new classes, spells, creatures, and playable races.

Fans of the compelling multiplayer features of Neverwinter Nights 2 will also be able to take advantage of new improvements to the multiplayer experience, while modders will be able to take advantage of the power and flexibility of the Overland Map and Trading System features along with other world-building enhancements.

Game Features:

· Travel the Sword Coast and Samarach using the open ended exploration of the new Overland Map. Use skills like Spot and Survival while on the Overland Map to avoid ambushes and even find hidden locales and lost artifacts.

· Create your own full party of adventurers. Devastate your foes with a squad of fireball-flinging Sorcerers, form a solid wall of steel with a party of Fighters, or strike the perfect balance in your party by spreading out the classes you choose for your characters.

· Improved party gameplay including streamlined party conversations, a new Teamwork Benefit System, and powerful party feats.

· The world's economy reacts to your adventures and choices. And, through trading and quests, you can expand your merchant company into a massive trading empire.

Confirmed by a bunch of people, including Obsidians Anthony Davis and Rob McGinnis.

Starwars

Arcane
Thanks for that Dark Elf, looks like it's real then.

Initial thoughts were disappointment on the setting of the story, but then again it seems to be quite interesting once one gets over the "oh no, not the Sword Coast" thing. At least it looks like we can travel a bit here.

The worldmap system sounds like a really welcome comeback, with random encounters and stuff based on skills. Also, it'd be kinda interesting if the economy is a big part of the plot and let that provide a lot of drive for the game.

It sounds quite different from MotB if you ask me, and I think that's a good thing. Better try to do something new to NWN2, and make it differ a lot to avoid to many comparisons. Hopefully it'll be a good game.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks interesting, if true.

The world map system reminds me of Baldur's Gate.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Please, please be true.

Although--fully customizable party? Create your own characters? Does that mean no NPCs with, you know, dialogue and personalities and such?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Means no romance options? I hope it still has alien lesbian sex planned if it hopes to become popular.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
It's just that while a party comprised entirely of player-generated characters can be extremely powerful and min-maxed to hell, it's a little boring story-wise. See the IWD games.

Lesifoere said:
Although--fully customizable party? Create your own characters? Does that mean no NPCs with, you know, dialogue and personalities and such?

That would be a disappointment to me.

As for the rest, sounds too good to be true.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, that's something I missed from IWD though it did not prevent me from enjoying the games. But after BG2 and especially PS:T, I missed it. Still I wonder if it wouldn't be able to have some conversations occur between party members, defined for exemple according to their class and some background you chosed for them at creation.

Of course maybe the place will be packed with stuff to do and people to talk to, that might help alleviate the silent party problem.

MetalCraze

Arcane
agreed. Obsidian can make really awesome NPCs with great personalities when they try.
however

· Improved party gameplay including streamlined party conversations, a new Teamwork Benefit System, and powerful party feats.
maybe there will be some?
or maybe they mean that like in BG2 we will be able to create whatever characters we want for the party but also have some joinable npcs?

somebody cast "Summon Anthony Davis" so he will not tell us anything about npcs.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Sounds too good to be true. I wish the guy would have posted his source. Though the listing of it on the ESRB is... interesting.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Teh awsum.

Kinda let down by it being set in the Bored Coast... But the whole economic theme thing sounds more than interesting. I was expecting for them to lob the KC to Chult instead.

The Overland Map and the sound of the game really reminds me of Fallout... In sort of a Fantasy Tycoon way.

skyway said:
agreed. Obsidian can make really awesome NPCs with great personalities when they try.
however

maybe there will be some?
or maybe they mean that like in BG2 we will be able to create whatever characters we want for the party but also have some joinable npcs?

Depends on what "streamlined" means.

fastjack

Augur
re

i hope streamlined party conversations means more akin to bg and such where they pop up when relevant instead nwn2 dialogue tree you could go through a ton of times to see different branches and such

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So Obsidian will make this or what?

Dunno what to believe... it might convince me to get NWN2 if it's true. Although I'd also have to upgrade my PC to run NWN2 at a decent frame-rate... eh, seems too much trouble...

Shannow

Waster of Time
Korgan said:
15 hours? Meh.
+1

I'd like to see a revival of "personalities" in generated parties, the system that was used in Wizardry 8. With a little more sophistication.

The economics part sounds interesting, though. Especially since I really liked managing the keep in NWN2.

But for 15 hours I'll wait till it drops to 5 - 10 €.

MetalCraze

Arcane
NWN2 with last patch and MotB run very well on an average-to-low spec rig with most settings maxed out.

Starwars

Arcane
I think MotB was marketed as 15 hours as well? Or 15-20 hours or something.

Anyways, providing it's high quality that's definetely enough playtime for me to shell out the cash for an expansion.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
skyway said:
NWN2 with last patch and MotB run very well on an average-to-low spec rig with most settings maxed out.

Depends what you mean by low spec... because the laptop I'm on now has a 1.6Ghz (2000+ I think) Turion, 1Gb of Ram and a GeForce Go 6100 and the game runs like crap with all updates and on low settings. Of course I didn't mean upgrade this computer, I know laptops can't be really upgraded, duh... but the computer at home isn't much better: Just a P4 3Ghz, 1.5Gb of Ram and a GeForce 6600. I remember the game ran somewhat better on that, but still not good enough to bother. Interesting how Half-Life 2 for example ran perfectly. Someone explain, plz?

Ah, well... upgrading for just a game... or how I heard it just one expansion, maybe two doesn't seem to be worth the effort. Don't need to play anything else that my computer/laptop can't handle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom