Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol dialogues and screens

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
dialoguewz7.jpg

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/852/pg1yi7.jpg
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/1580/pg2qw2.jpg
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/5778/pg3bq2.jpg
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4893/pg4kd1.jpg
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/5974/pg5mr4.jpg
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1430/pg6wv0.jpg
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6413/pg7in3.jpg
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1504/pg9wi7.jpg
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3207/pg10xf5.jpg

Murk

Arcane
Well done on the scans.

The game looks interesting enough, and I look forward to being able to kill people in a video game from the same geographic area I'm from.

Dark Matter

Prophet
Sounds way more retarded than anything I've seen in ME, which was criticized endlessly before and after release. But since AP is by Obsidian, I guess it's ok to turn a blind-eye to the dialogue (or even hype it).

Mamon

Scholar
Where are you from?

These screens look very good. Interesting read so far.

Err, I don't understand. Each of those strings of dialogue is triggered simply by choosing between "I think I've got you beat" and "No, probably not"? They're like radically different conversations based on apparently interchangeable opening lines. Why not just have the game pick one at random?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Dark Matter said:
Sounds way more retarded than anything I've seen in ME, which was criticized endlessly before and after release. But since AP is by Obsidian, I guess it's ok to turn a blind-eye to the dialogue (or even hype it).
Yes, I'm turning a blind eye on it because it's entertaining and smart.

Mamon

Scholar
--Err, I don't understand. Each of those strings of dialogue is triggered simply by choosing between "I think I've got you beat" and "No, probably not"? They're like radically different conversations based on apparently interchangeable opening lines. Why not just have the game pick one at random?--

Well, the two opening are just the beginning, they can´t show the whole dialogue.

Mamon

Scholar
Page 43: They say the system is class-less. They give Fallout as an example.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Not sure why you're posting this now, VD, this has been floating about for a while. Those scans were in the last thread, too.

Dark Matter said:

Whoever this guy is, he's basically right

This game looks like another shitty action Action RPG/shooter hybrid a la Mass Effect or Fallout 3, with idiotic things like "bag any chick you want" and meaningless dialogue trees.

It looks like absolute shit.

Now right now, for my personal sanity, I'm just assuming that GI is run by a bunch of retards and it's the preview that's shit, but this game looks like it can be written off long before its release.

Some of the features sound good and pretty interesting - I like that those who take the neutral path will actually be catered for this time - but a lot of what was said sounds... less promising. Particularly "you can't just make Fallout 1 again, Oblivion and Mass Effect are the future".
Still, I'll end up buying it anyway, and it'll be nice to see Obsidian being able to work in a setting they don't have to push to the boundaries of silliness to get interesting themes out of. Can but hope.

MetalCraze

Arcane
we had a newspost with those dialog scans.
also dialogs look not even retarded - but boring.
considering they will use emoticons instead of dialogs - it could be a real mess in the end. plus - dialogs do look too masseffectish

"yeah"
"sure"
"I guess"
and those are 1-2 words responses to mostly meaningless sentences.
I just hope all other gameplay won't suck.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Skyway, you mean the hacking minigame? :lol:

4.jpg

Annonchinil

Scholar
Mamon said:
--Err, I don't understand. Each of those strings of dialogue is triggered simply by choosing between "I think I've got you beat" and "No, probably not"? They're like radically different conversations based on apparently interchangeable opening lines. Why not just have the game pick one at random?--

Well, the two opening are just the beginning, they can´t show the whole dialogue.

I believe you choose smiley's and then the conversation flows in the direction, so one seems playful while the other is a bit down, kinds of makes sense. I don't think you can write such short lines in a 'normal' rpg system and this looks a lot better than the Sheppard/Bartender conversation shown of for ME. Of course you do seem to have less control but I guess that depends on the way it is written.

Brother None said:
This game looks like another shitty action Action RPG/shooter hybrid a la Mass Effect or Fallout 3, with idiotic things like "bag any chick you want" and meaningless dialogue trees.

You mean like VtM:B and The Witcher? What evidence do you have of meaningless dialogue trees, the only one that is shown seems to actually have different response changes, just because he is not trying to get her to come over to the light side before the StarForge is about explode does not mean that the actual choices are meaningless, or would you prefer that relationships and characters change in ten lines? The only problem I see is that in the end of both trees she still asks him what he is doing here, but what relationship they have at the end of it feels different. I don’t expect to see every tree leading to something completely different, but so far I am cautiously optimistic. If there is an option to tell her to fuck of than the flaw does not really matter.

So far the game itself seems to be both good and bad, the setting is great but the way they used it seems very… what’s the word I am looking for… I think ‘Spy Kiddie’ I mean why is the main character wearing sneakers? It would have been much better to be a KGB agent rooting out dissidents and agitators or ‘the war no one cares about’ example used in the other thread.

MountainWest

Scholar
Those screens were pure anti-hype. Aping after Bethesda and Bioware yet again. Strange how the studio with the most talant seem to suffer the worst self-esteem.

And, my god, those dialogues reads like shit. Fuck's the matter with the guy? Sounds like an emotionally disturbed pimple-faced teenager trying to score cool points.

Big quote: "We're good at making role-playing games!"
Text under: "During character creation you can chose different appearances for Michael Thorton."
Them proffeshunal journalists know their shit, as usual.

"Players are rewarded for any course of action."
This could be good - you shouldn't get the phat loot just by sticking to good or evil. But, I read it as if you're rewarded regardless of your actions. Which, sadly, is even worse.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
skyway said:
MountainWest said:
But, I read it as if you're rewarded regardless of your actions. Which, sadly, is even worse.

you read it correct.
Not really. The rewards aren't the same and depend on your choices. And frankly, that's how it works in most RPGs. For example, the mine quest in Arcanum: give the deed to Percival and he'll pay you; give it to Sarah and she'll give you an enchanted sword. You are rewarded either way. Sometimes there is an occasional goodie-two-shoes option that allows you to decline the reward, but I wouldn't be surprised if AP had a couple of these as well.

Aditya

Educated
Do hell with the whiners.

"bag any chick you want"

Its perfectly in sync with the James-bond-ish setting that the game is trying to emulate. I mean what else you expected, "debate with chicks about concept of enlightenment"?! Ugh. Don’t perople play games for FUN anymore??

"inspired from Oblivion/Mass Effect/FO 3"

What’s wrong if the game takes some interesting elements from these games? The dialogue wheel of ME, for example, seems one such inspiration. Nothing wrong with that either.

Game looks promising from those scans. Spy-themed (action) RPG is definitely a refreshing change from MoTBs and Witchers. I just hope that dialogue is good (which it should be considering the talent involved) and there are *some* c&c in the story, not just a linear action story. We will see.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Lestat said:
Not really. The rewards aren't the same and depend on your choices. And frankly, that's how it works in most RPGs. For example, the mine quest in Arcanum: give the deed to Percival and he'll pay you; give it to Sarah and she'll give you an enchanted sword. You are rewarded either way. Sometimes there is an occasional goodie-two-shoes option that allows you to decline the reward, but I wouldn't be surprised if AP had a couple of these as well.

yes but in rpgs you're not rewarded for some choices. or even worse. here it looks like it's a lottery without losing tickets.

Aditya said:

What’s wrong if the game takes some interesting elements from these games?

wait what interesting elements did you see in Oblivion and unreleased FO3?
or to put it simply - what?
Oblivion is a failure in a pretty much every single element of the game and FO3 looks like a collection of the most retarded design ideas evar.
also AP won't have dialog wheel. it won't even show you those dialogs at all. only emoticons which is far much worse as you totally won't know what your character will spit out of his mouth next.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Give it a chance. At any rate, you'd still torrent it anyway despite foaming in the mouth about its stupidity.

MetalCraze

Arcane
RK47 said:
Give it a chance. At any rate, you'd still torrent it anyway despite foaming in the mouth about its stupidity.

well I wrote that I still have hopes for the action part. I just don't like dialogs. if the game will be at least somewhere near Deus Ex - it will be good. and considering that MCA is a writer there we may have a pretty interesting storyline as well (though those dialogs are so not MCA). I just hope he will avoid most cliches. though that "bag any girl" superspy cliche doesn't make it better.
but still I think through all those previews Obsidian sends a subliminal message that this is not hardcore rpg but rather a lollipop 1-timer.

p.s. what I also like is that the soundtrack for the game will be made by Alexander Brandon. the guy behind the Deus Ex' one.

NiM82

Prophet
GI is a crock of shit, I'll reserve judgement until more info is released....... but it does looks/sound rather suspect at this stage. Seems like it's going to be more of a teen spy soap (like Alias) than James Bond - complete with bubble gum chewing femmes, emo girls and pretty boys. The locations also look very predictable and cliched.

Aditya

Educated
Aditya said:

What’s wrong if the game takes some interesting elements from these games?

"wait what interesting elements did you see in Oblivion and unreleased FO3?
or to put it simply - what?"

I am commenting upon Obsidian's choice to use new/interesting elements from games listed, which is fine by me. There is a possibility they will better implement some half-assed elements from other games. So far, its only ME inspired dialogues, when they use something from other games, we will know and can debate onto that.

"Oblivion is a failure in a pretty much every single element of the game"

No it isnt. Its fun as hack n' slash and short-term exploration. Also the Brotherhood questline was fun. May be Obsidian can take inspiration from that! :) [though, admittedly they are expert in dishing out dark storyline/settings themselves]

"FO3 looks like a collection of the most retarded design ideas evar.

"look like"...so thats a speculaton. I still want to wait n watch the implementation in FINISHED game.

"also AP won't have dialog wheel. it won't even show you those dialogs at all. only emoticons which is far much worse"

As I said 'inspired' from ME. Obviously they cant copy as is. Plz read my lines carefully.

Apart from telling you obvious thing to wait for actual gameplay footage to critise upon this, I think it hardly makes difference if there is emoticon or brief dialogur option like "not inteested" [as in ME]. It just decides the tone of your response, not the FULL response.

"as you totally won't know what your character will spit out of his mouth next."

You will know, dont worry! Game developers take care not to confuse masses too much! :)

PS: From the look of the game, it seems they are using Unreal 3 Engine. Is it true? Also, the main guy looks hot! [in some screenies at least] ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom