Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Iron Lore kicks the bucket

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Iron Lore

Unable to find a new source of revenue, <a href="http://www.ironlore.com/">Iron Lore</a> has closed shop. Here's part of their news on the demise:
<br>
<blockquote>It is with great regret that we must announce that as of close of business Tuesday, February 19, 2008 Iron Lore Entertainment has ceased active game development. Several unrelated events occurred which resulted in Iron Lore being unable to secure funding for its next project.
<br>
<br>
We would like to extend our thanks to everyone who has helped us in the last seven years – our team who moved mountains to create such great games, our publisher THQ who has been a great partner through three product development cycles, and most of all our customers and fans. We owe all of the success we’ve had to you, and our greatest satisfaction has come from creating games that have given enjoyment to the community.</blockquote>
<br>
I wasn't very impressed with <a href="http://www.titanquestgame.com/">Titan Quest</a>. Well, at least, I thought the demo was fairly bland. Maybe the engine, which they're trying to license out, will be used for something neat.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://ve3d.ign.com/">Voodoo Extreme</A>

slipgate_angel

Scholar
Sad, because I heard good things about Titan quest, despite it not being as replayable as Diablo 2.

Anyway, I'm sure one of the developers will open up there own independent studio, it's the new hotness this year. :o

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Saint, you totally missed the Piracy is evil rant:

Michael Fitch said:
So, ILE shut down. This is tangentially related to that, not why they shut down, but part of why it was such a difficult freaking slog trying not to. It's a rough, rough world out there for independent studios who want to make big games, even worse if you're single-team and don't have a successful franchise to ride or a wealthy benefactor. Trying to make it on PC product is even tougher, and here's why.

Piracy. Yeah, that's right, I said it. No, I don't want to re-hash the endless "piracy spreads awareness", "I only pirate because there's no demo", "people who pirate wouldn't buy the game anyway" round-robin. Been there, done that. I do want to point to a couple of things, though.
Ahh... We've got a thread on the Codex about it too.

Morbus

Scholar
Stupid ass. People don't buy the game because it simply isn't worth buying for most people... Who'd pay 50 bucks from that anyway? I wouldn't.

But I haven't played it :P NOR have I pirated it.

Hory

Erudite
I pirated it and I didn't like it. Nice artwork but retarded gameplay.

Deleted member 7219

I played the demo, was pissed off that they claimed the guy behind AOE and AOE2 was behind it to try to give it some authenticity... but no, it was just another bland hack/slash.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
It doesn't surprise me that TQ wasn't as successful as they had hoped. It was backwards and limited, surpassed in literally every aspect by games released years earlier. It wasn't terrible, or unplayable, just a piece of generic, semi-polished nothingness that didn't seem to cater to either a niche audience, or the mainstream market.

It's sad for the employees, of course, but I won't miss this developer.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
I won't jump on the bandwagon. I've played the demo out of curiosity (I guess too much time passed since the release of D2) and liked the game. Then I've pirated it, but eventually bought it (and the expansion some time later). Hell, I finally registered on Codex (after years of lurking) to defend the game (it never received too much praise so too much hatin' was messing with the balance of the Force). I thought it was at least decent (it's h'n's ffs) with character-building as the main feature and one awesome element that we still won't see in future games - tons of unique looking items (instead we'll see bigger resolutions and bigger AA multipliers).

Risine

Liturgist
It's always a pity to see an independant developer out, wether their games are good or not that good.
And when we see what awaits us : Vivendi vs EA vs Ubi. Sad, sad, sad.
Things will be soon as in mobile phones games business, no more independants....

Digitalos

Novice
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

:(

Titan Quest was as close to Diablo as we've ever gotten, and the addon was fantastic! Seriously, this... this just sucks. >_>

Digit

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
micmu said:
The lesson is: make another diablo clone and die.

You so totally missed the point here. Did you even bother to read the "rant" for yourself? If so, you would've known that TQ sold reasonably well ("we didn't lose money on it"), but not as good as it would've without piracy or if it was released on a console.

Hell, Fagship Studios put out a significally worse Diablo clone and got people paying a monthly fee for basic features.

There are a considerable amount of PC RPG players that love their Diablo clones a lot. I actually bout Titan Quest TWICE! The australian version and the German Collector's edtion with the keyboard - and I don't regret it.

BTW: Ascaron made a fortune on Sacred and that was a Diablo clone, too.

Your argument is retarded: Proven!

Fez

Erudite
I played the demo and it was crappy. Good riddance to these cry babies.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I wouldn't have minded if the game were decent, but like so many others have said, there was really nothing that stood out about this game. It just seemed so generic and boring, a mish-mash of other action CRPGs not even done well. Given all the other action CRPGs released about the same time, there was nothing really that would leap out at you and say, "THIS ONE IS THE SHIT!"

I liked Sacred because of it's seamless world, unique character system and characters, story, and so forth. I liked Fate because it was just done so well and had all those rogue-like features most action CRPGs pass on. Heck, I even considered buying Silverfall because it had some interesting ideas.

But Titan Quest was just bland right down to it's name.

Fez

Erudite
If it doesn't work then it is your fault. You are probably an evil pirate or something and killed it with your hate. You are responsible for the death of PCs.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The Walkin' Dude said:
Action RPGs are truly the worst genre imaginable.

I'd rather play an action rpg than a sport game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom