Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 rumoured to be in development

Monolith

Prophet
Tags: Baldur's Gate III (Obsidian Entertainment)

According to a guy calling himself <b>Achilleas</b> there's an article in the latest issue of the PC Gamer UK claiming that Baldur's Gate 3 is in development (again). The good news: it's not developed by Bioware (<a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5192">again/still</a>). The bad news: "it's being made by a company that believes in pushing technology forward."
<br>

<br>
Here's the excerpt:
<br>
"I'll probably get into trouble for telling you this, but hey, I just can't resist. Baulder's Gate III is in the works. I can't really say much more, but a few details to guide your speculation: it's not being done by BioWare, and you won't be playing it for at least two years. You shouldn't expect anything classically isometric either, as it's being made by a company that believes in pushing technology forward."
<br>

<br>
I don't know who wrote that article as it's hard to get a copy of the PC Gamer UK in these here parts, especially at this hour, but I'd love to either clap him on the shoulder for his biting sarcasm or shoot him in the neck for...just read for yourself.
<br>

<br>
"All we need now is for someone to pick up the rights to Planescape: Torment and remake it in first-person, and I believe my work here on this earth will be complete."
<br>

<br>
Thanks, <b>Achilleas</b>!

Radisshu

Prophet
When will people learn that "pushing technology forward" hasn't got shit to do with camera angles? Or was Wolfenstein 3d technically superior to Warcraft III when it comes to graphics?

Captain_Obvious

Scholar
Heh,years ago such news would be music to my years,but now,seeing what those ``companies that belive in pushing the technology fordard`` belive a RPG should look like,I`ll just say :Some things would be better left untouched:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Imoen Reloaded? Don't give a fuck either way. All the time when technology gets pushed forward, other things get pushed back. I guess I should be thankful that they're saying this straight out.

"All we need now is for someone to pick up the rights to Planescape: Torment and remake it in first-person, and I believe my work here on this earth will be complete."
No, no, no. Also: no. First person view is shooters and retarded rpgs only. So sayeth the wise Al Laundro.

cardtrick

Arbiter
That's some pretty scanty info. I'm not even sure why anyone would want to make Baldur's Gate 3 . . . the story was completely and definitively wrapped up in ToB, more so than in just about any other RPG I've played, and it's not as though the setting is particularly compelling. It made sense back in the day for The Black Hound to be called Baldur's Gate 3, given that Baldur's Gate was the only D&D license the devs had to work with, but this just seems like blatant use of a name for the name's sake.

Morbus

Scholar
Monolith said:
I don't know who wrote that article as it's hard to get a copy of the PC Gamer UK in these here parts, especially at this hour, but I'd love to either clap him on the shoulder for his biting sarcasm or shoot him in the neck for...just read for yourself.

He's kidding. A nice well made sarcastic line, yes, but he has to be kidding. I mean, he knows torment, and he probably likes it (otherwise he wouldn't refer to it, would he?) so there's no way he's being serious.

Anyway, I need a link...

Lumpy

Arcane
Quite possibly the first rape of a classic RPG which might end up better than the original. ;)

dolio

Scholar
Monolith said:
Can we also get the Dead or Alive people to work on ultra-advanced breast physics for Annah, Fall from Grace, and all the random, scantily-clad upper class women? :)

Has to be sarcasm, though, right?

Dabrinko

Educated
Well, an adventure set around Baldur's Gate would be cool. Jus't DON'T have any characters resembliing the iconic ones from the originals.

Completely new characters please, and story. The Bhaalspawn saga is over.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It must be Bethesda !!! after Oblivion with guns we'll also get Oblivion with Bhaalspawns !!!

Seriously, if it's not Bioware and it's not Obsidian, i don't have many hopes...

Morbus

Scholar
ghostdog said:
It must be Bethesda !!! after Oblivion with guns we'll also get Oblivion with Bhaalspawns !!!

Seriously, if it's not Bioware and it's not Obsidian, i don't have many hopes...
What about that prick that is developing Deus Ex 3? I can't remember the studios title...

Most likely, however, it's gonna be EA "something"... Remember that BioWare is now EA? Prolly EA Canada or something...

Atari said something about BG3 a long time ago. It never happened. Expect Dark Alliance 3 before an actual Baldur's Gate 3. Especially seeing as the Bhaalspawn story was over, it's two editions of Dungeons and Dragons old now, and Dark Alliance 2 ended on a cliffhanger.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If there is a BG3, it will most likely be based on the new 4th edition with the city Baldurs Gate being the biggest town of all.

I guess it won't have anything to do with the other titles except the name, D&D and... well.. . thats it.

And I sincerely hope it won't end up like Fallout 3. One golden Legend being treated like that is enough.
Another hope I have is that it won't be NWN3 with another name. I like NWN, really (well 2 at least), but I don't want BG to become a copy of it.

Ausir

Arcane
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Atari said something about BG3 a long time ago. It never happened. Expect Dark Alliance 3 before an actual Baldur's Gate 3. Especially seeing as the Bhaalspawn story was over, it's two editions of Dungeons and Dragons old now, and Dark Alliance 2 ended on a cliffhanger.

Interplay still owns Dark Alliance and has recently stated that they want to develop a sequel (unknown whether a BG:DA3 published by Atari, or a non-D&D DA3 without the "Baldur's Gate" part).

ghostdog said:

CD Projekt?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
No, the Bhaalspawn legacy isn't over ! The game will assume you decided to reject the throne and that you romanced Aerie (the most sensible choice of course) and knocked her up (bad luck, she told you the Pills strangely didn't work). The new epic saga will begin with the offspring , a cute little thingy with small wings on his back and a tendency to transform randomly into the slayer and kill everything. Then Elmnister (or whatever his name was) suddenly appears and ...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Monolith said:
Morbus said:
Anyway, I need a link...
That would violate physical law. Unless somebody makes and uploads some scans.

Well, I can link you to the PC Gamer forum, where it is being mentioned, and apparently Ross Atherton is the begetter of this rumour.

Section8

Cipher
I think it's fairly plausible as a rumour. Wizards would be looking for a big D&D 4E money spinner, it makes sense to capitalise on the nostalgia of Baldur's Gate and that whole "zomg Forgotten Realms is all different now! Except for the Sword Coast, and Baldur's Gate which is bigger and better" bit is a little fishy.

Aside from that, Atari have gotta be well desperate to cash in on something/anything and they're still owned by Hasbro, right?

NiM82

Prophet
Morbus said:
Yeah, it does sound like FO3 mockery, good point Hellraiser.

As much as I wish it's mockery, PCG's shit reputation leads me to believe that really is his wet dream. They are FPS fanbois.

It won't be Obsidian, but they are the lot who I'd most like to develop it... I expect it will be some shit Dark Messiah alike or something from the blurb. Oh well.

DemonKing

Arcane
There was an article on BG3 in PCGamer 2-3 years ago. It was about as vague as this post.

As far as I know Atari still have the D&D license and given that they are repositioning themselves as publishers only now presumably an outside company will be contracted to make BG3 (although to be honest I can't think of any Atari D&D game that *wasn't* made by an outside developer).

I doubt Bio will do it as they are now part of EA. Likewise Bethesda seem unlikely (thank god).

Until we here some more information, I wouldn't get too worked up. It does make a certain sense though with D&D 4th Edition on the way and with Baldur's Gate being repositioned as the biggest city in the realms (poor old Waterdeep!).

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I'll kill myself if anyone tries to make a sequel to PS:T. Unless of course their name starts with a 'Chris' and ends with an 'Avellone.'

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The Bhaalspawn saga doesn't have to be over. there's so much that cna be done with it if you use actual imagination.

Anyways, hard to take the post seriously, as it's far from the first BG3 rumour. Not even worthy of news.

And, it be dissapointing if BIO, or at least Obsidian aren't the ones making it.

Ah well.. this hoopla is irrelevant until an OFFICIAL announcement from Atari.

R00fles!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom