Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress- full graphics release (updated 4 III)

Mayday

Augur
GET IT HERE: http://goblinart.pl/vg-eng/df.php

Since many people are complaining about the DF display being "messy" and "clunky" (no shit, huh?), I have compiled a version which gathers a lot of different images from the community (most notably object graphics by DR and Tocky, with a lot of editing and tidying up by me) to make as much use of the system as possible. The tileset's base is the Herrbdog font.

NOTE:
-THE LEVEL_UP and LEVEL_DOWN keys have been changed to / and * on the keypad!!

Last edited:

MetalCraze

Arcane
great job! thanks - nice to see that such wonderful game is kicking.

and what about that cool 2.5D graphics for DF project?

Mayday

Augur
The artist hasn't spoken to me since he said he'd do a mockup of the underground part of the fortress.
I might start a thread for it on bay12 but I fear it wouldn't have much impact... especially that there are now much more important things to fix (like the sieges).

Hory

Erudite
Better, but still chaotic. It lacks a distinct and congruent style that is easy to comprehend at a glance.

Mayday

Augur
It is seriously as much I could have done with what the game allows you to mod.

If you have any suggestions though- shoot.

Hory

Erudite
Is it a modding problem? Some walls are, for example, isometric, while some are just flat, opaque colors...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Mayday said:
The artist hasn't spoken to me since he said he'd do a mockup of the underground part of the fortress.
I might start a thread for it on bay12 but I fear it wouldn't have much impact... especially that there are now much more important things to fix (like the sieges).

too bad. because the game would really look more comfortable with that.

...and point'n'click controls too

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wow, now you can actually see what's going on! I love rogue-likes, and even though DF really isn't one, the effort you need to learn its ASCII is worse than, say, Nethack. Or ADOM, but ADOM is special by having extremely intuitive ASCII; no idea why I believe that.

hicksman

Liturgist
Great work! I think graphics would be a great asset to this game, being that there's already sufficient depth in gameplay, but i think i've already said that. Thumbs up.

Rhett Butler

Scholar
Awesome! I have tried Dwarf Fortress a couple of times and the learning curve was too much for me. This is something that was much needed, and is much appreciated. Thanks Mayday.

Another

Novice
For those of you that didn't know looks like the last release has fixed all of: particular bugs from .33e, some mineral occurrence suppressed by other minerals and [goblin] sieges...

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Cthulhu said:
GRAPHICS WHOAR. U BETRAYED THE CODEX. LOOK AT THIS NOW, BLOODY KIDDIES EVERYWHERE ASKIN HEY HOW DO I DOD TYTHAT
I'd agree. If the original Dwarf Fortress didn't look like an incomprehensible mountain of shit, that is.

Mayday

Augur
DarkUnderlord said:
I'd agree. If the original Dwarf Fortress didn't look like an incomprehensible mountain of shit, that is.

A vs B

OK. Any constructive crits then?

Severian Silk

I still find the graphics too incomprehensible to bother trying the game. Maybe isometric would be better. Or 3D. Or not.

Adding mouse support and a good GUI might bring me over the edge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom