Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Purgatorio Trailer

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
<a href="http://www.roguedao.com/news/">Rogue Dao Studios</a> have released a <a href="http://www.roguedao.com/erf/ArtTeam/Camb/Purg_Trailer_DVD.wmv">new trailer</a> for Purgatorio, their upcoming NWN 2 module which is supposed to satisfy all our Planescape needs. It's definitely worth a 100 MB download. For a fan project video, the trailer is simply stunning, even if the voiceovers are hard to hear sometimes.

In other news, Monty Markland - the head of the group - has been hired by Obsidian and is now assistant producer on the Aliens RPG. Congratulations! We hope this won't result in a delay of the Purgatorio project.

Thanks for the tip, <strong>Starwars</strong>!

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Pretty cool trailer. It has an amazing ammount of custom content, and all of it seems very high quality. The voiceovers of the society of sensation chicks are kinda meh, the others seemed fine. The music was amazing, very planescapy. All in all, it´s awesome for a free mod (it´s still free, right?).

Globbi

Augur
Trully amazing. Great amosphere. I'll finally have to get NVN2 when this comes out.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I cried tears of joy.
And of grief; NWN 2 does not run on my computer.

Alas, why must I miss the few games made with >love<? Love is the most important part in a game.

Dear god! Volourn, I know you say games can't be art, but some of that architecture; the atmosphere, the composition... it betrays your words. But feel free to disagree, I am too busy wiping tears from my face.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Matthew Roeder is the guy that actually put the trailer together. Folks from the NWN2 community know him as Camb. He definitely has a phenomenal knack for creating compelling trailers/previews and the like ( in addition to his other manifold skills )

The actual areas in the trailer, the scenes, etc. are created by the whole team. Some folks that had a big impact: Johnny Taylor (Jack on the RDS forums - level design), myself (art, level design and cutscenes), Scott Douglas (Davion - art, art direction), Kevin Chow and Gabor Valasek (gopher and oldbrian -- music), Ken Finan (Finamenon - level design), Matthew Roeder (art, vfx, trailer) among many many others.

I think you'll find most of these people, and the others from RDS that I have not listed, getting paid to work in the game industry in the near future. For all intents and purposes they are already working in the game industry now, they are just doing so speculatively.

Micmu

Magister
Mask of The Betrayer, Mysteries of Westgate... and Purgatorio also looks to be shaping up nicely.
NWN2 is the best shitty game I ever bought.

Black

Arcane
Shit, that chick in ~1:13 reminds me of Annah from P:T. Too much Torment I guess.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Black said:
Shit, that chick in ~1:13 reminds me of Annah from P:T. Too much Torment I guess.

I don't have the trailer in front of me, but I am guessing you're talking about Kylie. She's actually from the source books, "Faces of Sigil" being the first one that springs to mind.

Catalina

Scholar
micmu said:
Mask of The Betrayer, Mysteries of Westgate... and Purgatorio also looks to be shaping up nicely.
NWN2 is the best shitty game I ever bought.

I laughed hard at this. I feel exactly the same way.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Mind blowing. What they've done is simply amazing.

I'm sitting in the devteam IRC channel right now, and everybody is really flattered and pumped up about the positive response to the trailer.

It's definitely a big deal to them to hear folks they respect say positive things.

We're going to try and get some more gameplay footage in the next trailer since this one focused a lot on the visuals and feel of everything.

Deleted member 7219

Monty, one of the reasons you gave for the delay was the inclusion of assets from MotB. What have you added to Purgatorio since the release of MotB that wasn't possible before?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Excellent visuals, great work on the style

The voice overs are hella up and down. Some just make me flinch and go "better skip voice overs there", especially the society of sensation chicks.

There doesn't seem to be any mention of this trailer on the official site. Why not?

Jason

chasing a bee
Looks beautiful. Definitely a must play. About the voiceovers, keep in mind that most of your target audience is fine with reading text and would have no problem with minimal (or no) voice acting.

Are you doing anything different with the combat or is it still going to be the basic NWN fighting?

MountainWest

Scholar
I'll join the choir and say: great visuals. Truly a sight for sore eyes in these times of generic crap. The VO's uneven, yes, but the quality of VO has never been a deal breaker for me. If it's great, then great. If it's not then no big deal (I didn't find it bad in the trailer).

Cosmetica aside, the most important thing's yet to be seen: how fun the bad boy plays, how intriguing the story unfolds and how arousing the pin-up cards are drawn.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Matt7895 said:
Monty, one of the reasons you gave for the delay was the inclusion of assets from MotB. What have you added to Purgatorio since the release of MotB that wasn't possible before?

One prime example that isn't actually featured in the trailer is custom skydomes. We've got a pretty fancy custom skydome for Sigil. In the trailer you can catch a glimpse of the old placeholder solution we were using which was an untextured torus attached to the skyring. [Note the skyring is not the same thing as the skydome].

Another big thing is tileset retextures. We used a bunch of the retextures from Obsidian for existing interiors and Scott Douglas, Ryan Farnsworth and Andrej Bartulovic have made and are making more. This helps give the interiors a much more Sigilian feel without having to create whole new tilesets.

Better animation playback support helped clean up some cutscenes.

Those are three big things that come to mind, along with the assortment of new MotB creatures, buildings and tilesets that we used as well.

Other Qs:
-- Just haven't gotten around to updating the official site yet. That'll happen shortly.
-- Right now combat is pretty much the same, with some AI modifications. The team has some plans to try a few experimental things, but I am not sure if those plans will see fruition in the original release.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
MountainWest said:
I'll join the choir and say: great visuals. Truly a sight for sore eyes in these times of generic crap. The VO's uneven, yes, but the quality of VO has never been a deal breaker for me. If it's great, then great. If it's not then no big deal (I didn't find it bad in the trailer).

Cosmetica aside, the most important thing's yet to be seen: how fun the bad boy plays, how intriguing the story unfolds and how arousing the pin-up cards are drawn.

Ryan Placchetti, Courtney Keene, Heather Kirk, Michael Cipriano and Jason Ng have done a bang up job with the story imho. We'll see how it fairs with the players, but I think its top notch. Its very, like I said before, grounded and not ridiculous or unbelievable.

As for the fun-factor, you will definitely enjoy it if you enjoyed MotB or the old inifinity engine games. It's very comparable to MotB with perhaps more emphasis on open world and a slight de-emphasis on the main storyline by comparison.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thank you for being here and answering our questions. You ought to know the posters here are not easily excited. At all. You can be very proud.

Deleted member 7219

Jasede said:
Thank you for being here and answering our questions. You ought to know the posters here are not easily excited. At all. You can be very proud.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
;()

I always worry a little about hype raising expectations too high, but one consistent reaction has assuaged my concern on that front a little.

Whenever someone joins the RD team these days, even if they've been paying attention to the project, watching the trailers and the like, they are still sort of stunned the first time they actually get in game and get a full sense of the scope of the thing.

Part of the reason we continue to work on Purgatorio is that we feel an ever increasing pressure to improve it as folks get more and more excited about it and on and on. There will come a time when we decide that enough-is-enough and go into finalizing mode, we just aren't quite there yet.

MountainWest

Scholar
MLMarkland said:
MountainWest said:

Ryan Placchetti, Courtney Keene, Heather Kirk, Michael Cipriano and Jason Ng have done a bang up job with the story imho. We'll see how it fairs with the players, but I think its top notch. Its very, like I said before, grounded and not ridiculous or unbelievable.

I've missed that. Very glad to hear it though. Grounded is how I like all my entertainment, be it books, movies or games. The setting can be fantastical, sporting all kinds of crazy shit, but I quickly lose interest if the happenings to be realized demands sacrifices in the humanity of the characters. Never thumb on the plausible - in the light of the rules of the setting - to make an event "cooler"... or whatever hip word the kids use these days. That's just a recipe for ending up with the opposite.

Killing all-powerful Gods after being told just how badass and all-powerful they are = silly. Will always be. Assassinating a powerful political figure with one well aimed shot for the greater good (or for your own very important good) = cool. Such events occur in the real world; often for reasons we can all see, if not agree upon.

As for the fun-factor, you will definitely enjoy it if you enjoyed MotB or the old inifinity engine games. It's very comparable to MotB with perhaps more emphasis on open world and a slight de-emphasis on the main storyline by comparison.

You just keep saying the right things, Monty. Sure it wasn't a position in PR they offered you over at Obsidians? =). Congrats by the way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom