Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dwarf Fortress even Newer Release !!!

Mayday

Augur
IT'S UP, BITCHES!

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
A few bugs and performance problems tweaked.

For those in the know- the new release features a Z-axis (3d in ASCII!), rewalling, leaving the fortress, armies, a new, random generated gameplay map (glacier fortresses! Under-goblin-fortress-fortresses!) and a new endgame! Aren't you just getting chills down your spine?

For those not in the know: Dwarf Fortress is a rather bizarre little roguelike/ fantasy world generator / colony management sim hybrid. With bloodthirsty carps and lots of dead dwarves guaranteed.
Witness the beauty of ASCII graphics!
start_at_cliff.PNG

meeting_hall.PNG

FAQ!
AAAAA LETTERS EVERYWHERE OH GOD HOW DO I DO STUFF?!
A few keys will come up a lot. Pressing these keys will bring up a yellow X cursor which you control using the arrow keys.

Q - assigns orders at workshops and structures, or used to create rooms from a placed structure, like tables, beds, archery targets, etc, or to destroy them.
T - much like Q, but works for sTructures. Use this when you want to examine/destroy a structure that is not a workshop. Also useful for peeking at the contents of a workshop to see how cluttered it is.
V - Examines an individual dwarf, where you can look at their stats, gear, thoughts and alter their job list.
K - If you'd like to see if that U is an attacking Unicorn or a friendly hUman trader, this is the key you want. Pressing enter examines the object in greater detail (if any).
Z - Brings up your fortress report and tells you how depressingly low you are on food.
D - Designates an area for tasks. Hit enter to start dragging out a rectangle, enter to stop. Or hold down the mouse button and draw it in. Everything in this area will now be designated for whatever task you had selected, from Digging out rock, cutting down trees, or picking plants, or whatever else it might have been. Use this to dig out your dwarf-hole.

I built a bridge, but it looked ugly so I demolished it. The new one never gets built because of pathing errors!
Common mistake. Never cut off the fortress. The dwarf builders are trying to get to material/worksites on the other side of the river/chasm, but cant because there's no bridge anymore. Avoid this by always having spare bridges. If this has already happened, build stone blocks at your masonry workshop and use those to build your new bridge, ensuring that you're using accessible materials.

How do I change the game resolution/settings/colours/etc?
In the data/init directory is init.txt, a well documented file which contains all sorts of DF settings.

Can I run this on a Mac?
User Sleep reports that Crossover works fine. I've no experience with this though.

Waaaaaaah there are no graphics!
The installation of graphic tiles is explained on the second page of this thread.

What happens if I do this?
Just try it first! It's no fun if we tell you that you would have doomed all your dwarves to a horrible agonizing death beforehand. No fun at all!
Besides, it just means you get to do it better next time.

ATTENTION ALL DICKHEADS!
I'm currently negotiating with a proffesional sprite creator about an isometric graphics set for DF. Here's his work: http://spriteattack.cator.de//df/show/
If you find the dwarf icons unreadable, I'm also working on my own set: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/files/all15.jpg
Hopefully, if isotiles are not an option, we will at least be able to use a 32pixel tileset.

abstract

Scholar
What about adventure mode? Will it still be a fun, but generally pointless side attraction to the fortress mode?

cardtrick

Arbiter
Re: The Dwarf Fortress New Release Anticipation thread!

Mayday said:
ATTENTION ALL DICKHEADS!
I'm currently negotiating with a proffesional sprite creator about an isometric graphics set for DF. Here's his work: http://spriteattack.cator.de//df/show/
If you find the dwarf icons unreadable, I'm also working on my own set: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/files/all15.jpg
Hopefully, if isotiles are not an option, we will at least be able to use a 32pixel tileset.

Wow, that's a really quality isometric set. I feel like that would greatly expand the appeal of the game.

EDIT: fixed a typo.

Mayday

Augur
abstract said:
What about adventure mode? Will it still be a fun, but generally pointless side attraction to the fortress mode?

The main change is the overworld mapping is getting a huge overhaul- the core gameplay stays similar AFAIK though.

Here's a summary of the most important changes:Migrants linked to civs,
can travel world map with interesting results,and can leave the fortress;Megabeast changes;Local travel;Mass elevation changes including dwarf mode and smoothing from mountains to ocean;Map zoom;Wilderness populations changed;Moods pick smarter metal bars;Fluxes;Crystal glass change;Sharp stones;Temperature changes with season, many other improvements;Moss;World gen info exports with bmp;Good/Evil/Savage plants and Evil biome changes;New world sites;Mountain Peaks/Volcanos Information, changes accordingly;River names;Freezing/Drying changes;New Gems and existing gem modifications;Ocean fun time;Z-Level digging;Liquid flows,falling, and pressure;Tile traffic designations;New cave river changes;New bottomless pit changes;Pipes and Screw Pumps;Well requirements;Magma temperature changes and becomes rock when cooled;
Stone/Gem/Metal changes;Worldmap identification for landmasses and islands including names;Smelter improvements with alloys and such;Volcanic Activity;Geological locations and mineral fluctuations;Water table;Soil layers;Any walkable area on the map can be fortress site;Construction and randomization of fortress names;Civilization selection at embark screen and fortress can be resized from this;Ice floors/walls and ice detailing/sculputures;Animal population linked to map size;Vermin again around cave features;Good/Evil Mountains/Oceans/Lakes;Fishing fixed/improved;Contaminated water flags and unhappiness thoughts,water salinity;Volume control;Zone designations for drinking/fishing/dumping/etc;Plant to alcohol changes;Item rot changes;Wood as trade item;Good/Evil creature selection more uniform;Berserk dwarves no longer disassociated from former entities;Items burn but restricted;Building coloration;More specification for refuse piles;Basic z-level image support;Vegetation choice alteration;Updated all existing sites (ruins, dwarf site, town, cave, goblin towers;Autosaving and backup;8 direction movement for dwarf mode;Injury based travel restrictions;Rewalling;Dwarves can escape unwalkable squares;Armies;Swimming/Drowning finished;3D Flying and swimming finished;Old Site reclamation (possibly not limited to dwarf fortresses?);Mass noble overhaul, appointing nobles and upranking nobles;Complaints and meetings;Personalities;
Profession breakup and specification;Web improvements;Feature creature updates and ambush update;Endgame changes

Oarfish

Prophet
Yeah, I've been following the dev notes. Really looking forward to the release. So many things to play at the moment :)

Nedrah

Erudite
Any word on interface changes, though?

The way orders are given within the game are a worse deal-breaker than even the ASCII graphics. Hopefully those "isometric" graphics will come through, I'd get the game instantly with those.

Oarfish

Prophet
Toady has definitely updated the materials list to display flint blocks(50) rather than making you scroll through the whole damn list. Not sure about the orders screen, think I remember it being mentioned.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not to seem like a graphics whore, but those isometric tiles are fucking sweeeeeet.

Also, the features sound great and manage to justify playing DF again.

I've only actually played Adventurer Mode up until now, because it'shilarious... I really will need to get around to making a fortress sometime, and this looks like a good time to start.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Admiral jimbob said:
I've only actually played Adventurer Mode up until now, because it'shilarious... I really will need to get around to making a fortress sometime, and this looks like a good time to start.

Adventure mode is hellishly fun. Nothing beats getting your pants ripped off and being beaten to death with it. Also, a zombie grabbing you at the thrid toe of the left foot while he attacks you is fucking hilarious, too.

I wonder why the big developers haven't adopted this combat system already [maybe because it would require too fucking weird animations, but whatever].

Zomg

Arbiter
My favorite adventure mode combat story was having my throat torn out by a gremlin's bite, then using my last few flickering moments of life to grab him, tear his eyes out and take him to ASCII hell with me.

MisterStone

Arcane
I'm foaming at the mouth in anticipation over this. Hope my machine doesn't explode and catch on fire when I try to run it.

Ander Vinz

Scholar

Mayday said:
You set isn't good enough compared to the "professional" one. Why are you making it?

Nedrah

Erudite
1) It's still better than anything done before

2) Apparently he's doing it to show toady how the game could profit from allowing people to do full blown tilesets.

Mayday

Augur

Ander Vinz said:
You set isn't good enough compared to the "professional" one. Why are you making it?

I've had many complaints that Hans' tileset isn't readable enough and mine is better in this aspect.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
DWARFFORTRESS.jpg

Oh heck, I forgot how much fun this was.

Does anyone know how to get those huge amounts of text out of my view, though? I can't see anything on the battlefield while those skeletons poke at me, and I'm too lazy to check the button in the manual.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

Mayday said:
Ander Vinz said:

I've had many complaints that Hans' tileset isn't readable enough and mine is better in this aspect.
Your tilesets are nice, but to be honest I prefer Hans' version. To me his tiles are readable as well as charming, (which makes the game violence even more hilarious). Yours would have been fine if I hadn't seen his, no offense. :wink:

JarlFrank said:
Oh heck, I forgot how much fun this was.

Does anyone know how to get those huge amounts of text out of my view, though? I can't see anything on the battlefield while those skeletons poke at me, and I'm too lazy to check the button in the manual.

Spacebar.

Godsend when you go to a ruin with recruitable NPCs.

Mayday

Augur

Kos_Koa said:
Mayday said:
Ander Vinz said:

Your tilesets are nice, but to be honest I prefer Hans' version. To me his tiles are readable as well as charming, (which makes the game violence even more hilarious). Yours would have been fine if I hadn't seen his, no offense. :wink:

There is no offense, mostly because:
A) I completely agree with you- I prefer his version too (although I see quite a few opportunities to make his dwarf icons more readable)
B) I made my icons before I saw his work (in fact, he based his work on my icons)- as soon as I saw his, I stopped doing mine- but it was fun to do and I intend to continue someday, especially that I've had voices of encouragement to do so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom