Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

seems like the 1st Mass Effect rev. may have been leaked

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I saw somebody post this info on another form, claiming that he got a copy of a Game informer mag. early. Apparently, it has a Mass Effect rev. Feel free to call bullshit on the info, but the reviewers at the 1Up game site have already received their rev. copies, so it may be legit info.

-Both the primary score and secondary opinion are a 9.75.
-The review is, oddly, only a page long despite being incredibly positive.
-The review is on page 151.
-Some direct quotes:

"Concept: One of the greatest science-fiction stories ever told, and a new benchmark for videogame story telling."

"Graphics: Every second of gameplay offers the visual quality you have come to expect from Final Fantasy cut-scenes."

"Sound: One of the most memorable and unique soundtracks in gaming. It's inspired by '80s sci-fi, yet sounds like nothing you've ever heard before. The game also features an amazing ensemble of voice actors."

"Playability: Fun and funtional, but something always seems to be amiss with the AI and balancing."

"Entertainment: An expansive quest (18 to 30 hours) that toys with your emotions and keeps you engaged."

"Replay Value: High"

"Mass Effect shows a similar design to Bioware's previous work on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire. However, by comparison, both of these remarkable games now seem like test runs."

"The gameplay is certainly fun, and it controls admirably, but it doesn't live up to the large stage the story sets or the standards you've come to expect from action games and RPGs."

"Best science-fiction story since Star Wars, and best story in a videogame, ever."

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Cassidy said:
PS: Today is October 10th, not April 1st, so I give this thread the benefit of doubt.

It's not a joke thread, if that's what you're thinking. I came across this info on the Team Xbox forums, where there was a large discussion on this info. As I stated earlier, the info may or may not be legit, but it's supposedly from a Game Informer mag. Wouldn't surpise me if their review was that shitty.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Fat Dragon said:
something always seems to be amiss with the AI and balancing."
it doesn't live up to the large stage the story sets or the standards you've come to expect from action games and RPGs."

Sounds more like 9.25 or 9.0 to me. Sounds typical of a Bioware game, good storytelling but poor gameplay.

Lurkar

Scholar
I don't know if this is real or not, and that fact is depressing. Just how low have our standards gone, and how much lower will the end up at?

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
fastpunk said:
1up said:
"Best science-fiction story since Star Wars, and best story in a videogame, ever."

Now that part is disgusting, hurtful, insulting and loathsome. :evil:

How? Have you played Mass Effect? Not sure why they compare it to Star Wars though.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Jaime Lannister said:
fastpunk said:
1up said:

How? Have you played Mass Effect? Not sure why they compare it to Star Wars though.

Have you played Planescape: Torment?

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
fastpunk said:
Jaime Lannister said:
fastpunk said:
1up said:

Yes I have. How can you say with all certainty that PS:T has a better story than Mass Effect without playing Mass Effect? I expect Mass Effect's story to be worse than PS:T's, but it could be the best videogame story ever and you and I just don't know that.

obediah

Erudite
Jaime Lannister said:
fastpunk said:
Jaime Lannister said:
fastpunk said:
1up said:

Yes I have. How can you say with all certainty that PS:T has a better story than Mass Effect without playing Mass Effect?

How can you be certain that China exists if you've never been there? It could all be a conspiracy targeted at you. I'm all for open-mindedness, but I haven't seen anything to suggest the story of Mass Effect is good, let alone a challenge to Planescape. Besides the auther of the review was probably comparing it to Halo 2, WoW, and Super Mario.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am pretty sure China is a hoax. Think about it- have you ever been in China?

fastpunk

Arbiter
Jaime Lannister said:
Yes I have. How can you say with all certainty that PS:T has a better story than Mass Effect without playing Mass Effect? I expect Mass Effect's story to be worse than PS:T's, but it could be the best videogame story ever and you and I just don't know that.

Well, you are right, I haven't played it and I don't know for sure (yes, there's a 0.1% possibility that it is better than PS:T...); but don't you find it distasteful to see that every once in a while comes a game that proclaims to be the ultimate in storytelling and all that shit? I do, I find it very distasteful since few (or none) of them actually come through. It's not like me to judge something before I see it for myself but in this case I'll take my chances and say no, it's not the best story in a videogame ever.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The game isn't out to November 20, and that likely means BIO isn't even finished the game yet (games tend to go gold 2 or so weeks before reaching stores). True story or not, this review is bullshit and hence not worth judging no matter what side of the ME debate you are on.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The government. They manufacture cheap imitation products to keep national prices at competitive rates, controlling the market.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Edward_R_Murrow said:

Bullshit.

You have to keep in mind this is a video game journalist review (if real) so best story in a videogame ever= best story in a videogame since Halo 3

Star Wars wasn't Science Fiction, so that also points to this review being legit.

Starwars

Arcane
Even if this review were true, what's there to be surprised about? Is anyone not expecting game reviewers to slobber all over this game and give it very high marks?

If I had an Xbox360, I would probably give it a try myself though. :P

Longshanks

Augur
If not real, it's certainly consistent in its idiocy. Anyone who thinks Star Wars is science fiction, let alone has a good story, is not likely to be a good judge on best video game story ever.

Lumpy

Arcane
What does this mean, exactly? That it's the best SF evah besides Star Wars? Star Wars being like the king of SFs everywhare? Lulz.
Or does he literally mean that it's the best SF released after Star Wars? That would seem pretty arbitrary a period.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
This sounds too stupid to be real.

Then again, I said the same about the PErsonal NUclear Shelter and the Fatman in FO3 as well, so I'm not sure anymore.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
pkt-zer0 said:
This sounds too stupid to be real.

Then again, I said the same about the PErsonal NUclear Shelter and the Fatman in FO3 as well, so I'm not sure anymore.

Personal Nuclear Shelter = PeNuS

Deleted member 7219

"Graphics: Every second of gameplay offers the visual quality you have come to expect from Final Fantasy cut-scenes."

Because of course, Final Fantasy is the hallmark on which all other RPGs must be judged. Either that or Oblivian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom